Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anybody ever stayed in Cluses/Sconzier (sp?)

Poster: A snowHead
We're kind of hooked on the valley town, different resort every day, kind of trip.

Has anyone ever stayed in Cluses or Sconzier....they look well placed for the French side of PdS, Grand Massif and Chamonix.....any hotel recommendations or other thoughts?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
and La Clusaz, Megeve, Combloux, Le Grand Bornand, Les Contamines, St Gervais - sounds like a good choice. Sallanches could also be considered as a valley town to stay in.

Sorry can't help with hotels as it is a long time since I have been to the area - but I do remeber the skiing very well.

CP
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
homphomp, I have only drive through Cluses, never stayed there. It didn't look the most appealing town to stay in from the routes I have taken through.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I would concur with hat T bar says about Cluses looked a bit ugly never stopped there.

I have a friend who has stayed in Samoens and drove easily between Morzine, Les Gets and Morrillon. If you get up at a reasonable time the drive is only about 45 mins Morzine to Morrillon and you get a full day at your chosen. I guess you could choose any of those places and that will give you tonnes to choose from including Avoriaz.

Friend mentioned above did stop in Cluses for a kebab late one vening en route, said it was quite tasty. Happy
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
homphomp,

It's a bit of a dump, I stayed twice (Notaire's office) when sorting out buying a place in Les Carroz, If you want to stay in the valley and get to Grand Massif, Chamonix, Megeve, la Clusaz etc I would defo go for Sallanches. If you just want a place to rest your head every night they have an IBIS which is cheap, a little away from the main town next to a big carrefour (which must have the best view from the carpark of any supermarche going - Mt Blanc).

Clusses can also be a bit rough, when we get the weekly shop we take the extra 10min derive to sallanches, the Carrefour in Cluses has a suspcious number of Security Staff all over the place.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
NorthWestFace, Shocked sounds like one to avoid then!! We'll take a look at Sallanches, would be more than happy with an IBIS!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sallanches is a good base to explore loads of resorts, however it can be really busy on a saturday (in and out) so choose your times to get up and down (especially if you are thinking of going to Megeve/Praz/Flumet/Les Saisies etc), be prepared to queue right through town and up the main road toward combloux. Having said that, you can be in a resort pretty quickly in any direction due to it being close to the A40. Chamonix is about 20 mins away but watch for the police in the last service station before the long bridge up into the Chamonix valley - regular speed traps...

If you wanted to ski the Savoie side, you can also stay in Albertville which also has Formula 1/etap etc etc and is close to the Main route to Moutiers or I guess you could combine the two?

Sallanches also has a big weekly market and some resturants/takeaways in the centre nr the river.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hmm...IBIS is fully booked for the days we want to be there (it is Xmas after all!). There seem to be a number of other nice hotels in Sallanches...can anyone recommend a good one?

skinutter, Won't be there on a Saturday so that's not a problem....stayed in BSM last year so want to stay further up this time as we fancy Grand Massif area - it's a couple of years since we were there, so we're keen to go back.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've stayed in Samoens and it's a lovely town and if you stay there you can spend a day on the Grand massif and then leave yourself a couple of hours to do the amazing run from the top of Flaine all the way down to Sixt - takes an hour and 5 to do it and Sixt is the next town over from Samoens so you jump on a bus back home. That run is called Cascades and is only open when there's enough snow but if it is, you should really go for it - it's great. I agree with all comment about Cluses - dull and unappealing.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
homphomp, Try Taninges ... better access to both PdS and Grand Massif than Cluses (which is a dump apart from the centre) and cheaper than Samoens although the drive through Cluses to get to Chamonix/Megeve is always a pain ... if you are going to drive and look to save money then anywhere along the Autoroute Blanche could be OK ....
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
eEvans, Yes we're driving...but it's not about saving money. As it's early season we want to be based where we can access a number of resorts and "go with the snow" Tangnines and Samoens both out for that reason, we want to be by the autoroute to access a whole load of places within a reasonable drive.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
homphomp, Not about money? Why not stay in Geneva then and put a few Swiss resorts into the mix?

CP
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
CP, Not all about money....but I'm not a millionaire! Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
homphomp, .. or Montreux/Sion/Conthey/Sierre and access all the Valais resorts
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
eEvans, I'll take a look....I've always fancied the Valais area.
ski holidays
homphomp, well Annemasse then .. closer and no tourists there !
ski holidays
homphomp, Sorry, it was a bit tongue in cheek. But the reality is that you can find reasonably priced hotels in Geneva. The paquis area, near the station ( and red light district which is not that red if you get my drift ) has some for example. There are plenty of good and not expensive ( I did not say inexpensive deliberately ) restaurants as well.

I used to live and work just over the border in the Pays de Gex and we had a wonderful choice of ski areas that could be reached within 1.5 hours ( or so, on a good day ). If you were lucky enough to get snow low down on the Geneva plain then the skiing on the Jura can be very pleasant and only 15/20 minutes drive away.

CP
snow conditions
CP, We've got the Jura on our list to explore later in the season (probably mid-Feb) when there's a better chance of snow...planning on basing ourselves in Les Rousses or down towards Gex...any recommedations for hotels round there would also be welcome!
ski holidays
homphomp, I moved back to blighty in 1991 so the hotels I could recommend may not even be in existence. Our house used to be like a hotel from December to May Very Happy

I lived in Gex for a couple of years - it was pretty quiet but did have some hotels and restaurants. Divonne has more, but would more expensive. Gex used to have a tourist office which should be able to help if it's still there.

If you go up to ski at Crozet there used to be a hotel restaurant called the Bois Jolly, which could only be described as basic and fairly rustic. But they did very good food and wine with the bonus of being able to see the sun set on Mt Blanc on a clear evening in the Summer.

On the road up from Gex there is a ski area called the Col de la Faucille which used to have a Hotel and a few shops. Both ski areas are worth a day if the snow is good and low, there is plenty of off piste available in the trees down to Lelex and Mijoux.

Memory is dim on Les Rousses - I think it used to be mainly wooden top skiing.

If you have any specific questions on the area PM me and I will try to help. There are also one or two other snowHead s here that lived in the area at the time - some closer to me than could be described as being comfortable.

CP
snow conditions
CP, Very useful! We haven't started detailed planning on this one yet, apart from having a ferry crossing booked! We'll only have five or six days so thought we might spend two in Les Rousses and two/three down by Gex as none of the areas seems big enough for more than a couple of days of fun! May well PM you when I've got more of a plan to ask for specifc info if that o.k.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy