Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Krippenstein - any advice anyone?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
My ski buddy is keen to give this place a try and as it's supposed to be off the beaten track, I'm curious too.
My knowledge of this area of Austria is zero; actually my knowledge of the whole of Austria is the usual skier's view - airport, hotel, ski slopes, airport.
Is it the off-piste mecca it claims to be or is it just riding the "freeride" marketing wave that a lot of small resorts are getting on to to pull in the customers.
(Not that there's anything wrong with that; it's just I like to have the right expectations).
Anyone from the vast sH's database got any advice?
Thanks in advance.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
No advice, but I once heard the whispers of how good this place is off an instructor who lived in a hotel we were staying. Always promised I would visit sometime but as yet I've not put a line upon it!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
STILL haven't got round to skiing there, but it's supposed to be truly excellent - and has had the 'reputation' for quite a while, so I don't think it's jsut marketing. I think Pep Fujas once said it's his favourite resort in the Alps, so gotta be pretty good...

I've heard it can be quite fickle with regard to snow conditions, no idea of the truth of that though.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I would rate Krippenstein on a par with La Grave, only more scenic. It has 1500m vertical to play on, and its one and only piste is advertised as the the longest in Austria.
There are four main ski routes, with two ending at the cable car mid station. These two require a reasonably flat hike of about 400m to start. Of course there are countless variations off these runs. By far the best reason to go is the fact that you can ski all day and not see more than half a dozen other skiers!
A couple of days at most would be enough to do the place justice, but it shares its ski pass with Dachstein West which has a reasonable sized ski area.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
About to get dumped on too...
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
He's buried in Huntingdon Road Cemetry Cambridge, tended by a Peruvian psychiatrist of note of said City
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Only been there in passing while doing the ski route off the top of the Dachstein glacier (access from the Schladming side). you end by skiing down that nice long piste mentioned above. Terrain certainly looked nice, very much wished we could have done an extra run or two there before piling into the minibus home.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy