Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France: Alpe d'Huez, Oz, Vaujany, Villard, Auris

Poster: A snowHead
nem, That webcam is showing you the Montfrais area. The white roofed building on the far left is the where the bubbles from the village arrive. That "tube" in front of you is the plexiglass cover on the beginner magic carpet. Not sad at all to want to have a look at where you are going Very Happy
Regarding the shorts, I have not been to the Vaujany pool but in Alpe d'Huez they are positively religious about speedos only.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Speedos or swimming trunks only! They do a family swim from 10am - 11am on Saturdays where there are lots of inflatables etc if your children are young.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
skitow, yes you can wear trunks, not just speedos. They just refuse the beach type swimming trunks all us Brits wear in the UK
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
chrisb, To be honest that's what I should have said about Alpe d'Huez as well, I was just being a bit lazy and classing everything other than the beach type shorts as speedos.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Vaujany isn't often very snowy - it is only 1250m a.s.l. and faces due south, but I have never seen it clear of snow in Feb. But on the positive side, because of its location, it is rarely difficult to drive up to the village and the journey from Grenoble airport by car can be just 75 minutes. In which case, if you don't have any gear to rent, you can be skiing very quickly. We can leave home (Bristol) at 5am and be on the slopes by midday! On a half term Sunday, there will be some traffic queues before Vizille but it should still take less than 2 hrs. The last lift back from Montfrais is at 5pm, so if you want to ski on Sunday afternoon you will be able to.

By the way it is best to buy the whole area lift pass. Following the divorce from Sataski, the Oz-Vaujany pass no longer gives access to the Jeux lift, which reduces the terrain you can ski quite a lot, especially for beginners. And in any case, you don't want to miss out on the fantastic skiing that Alpe d'Huez has to offer.

And as everyone else is saying, no boardshorts in the pool.

Have a great trip.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Not sure how official or reliable this is -

http://www.alpedhueznet.com/events/news/link-between-alpe-d-huez-and-les-deux-alpes-announced.html

According to them, there will be no link in Freney.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
theeggman204, where is the Jeux lift? in Alpe d'Huez itself?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Bjorn_again_Daehlie, I still think it could all be brinkmanship as part of the SATA v Oz/Vaujany dispute. Several people 'in the know' in Oz are still insistent that the cable car from Allemont to Oz will happen which I also think is probably propaganda.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rainman, The Jeux runs roughly parallel with the DMC lift from the Signal area of ADH up to the top of the Poutran lift from Oz (Mid-station DMC). Previously a fairly long drag which was covered on the Oz/Vaujany pass its now a slick new mixed chair/bubble but only covered by the full area pass.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ah, I see. I'll be in Oz in March with kids for the first time, but I'm assuming we'll be fine on the Oz/ Vaujany pass as they are absolute beginners. Can't see the need to be dragging them right down into AdH.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If they're complete beginners the Oz/Vaujany pass will be fine. By March the ESF beginners area at Montfrais will be sunny for most of the day (assuming they're having lessons?).
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Nick D, yes, but private with Monica at VO Coaching.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rainman, Sorry I thought you were in Vaujany, I'm sure Oz/Vaujany will be fine and you could always upgrade their pass if she wants to take them further afield one day.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Nick D, thanks for the advice - much appreciated!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We've had fun on ebay looking at tight swim shorts!

Eggman- thanks for the input. We are flying from Bristol. Midday on the slopes is impressive! we do have stuff to rent but its all booked and paid for with skiset- (thanks to the snowhead who posted his 40% off code!) We have bought whole area passes starting on the Monday, good to hear I made the right choice- it was more but its all so expensive anyway...We thought we'd just get the beginners 10euro pass for the one lift on the Sunday just to get a couple of turns in? An extra day for all 5 of us was going to be alot. My daughter is delighted that the lift doesnt close till 5- she wants maximum time on the slopes...
ski holidays
In resort at the moment, snow is good after having about 4 inches of snow on Sunday and about and inch again over night. We had a sunny day yesterday but I think the forecast is for overcast skies with small amounts of snow for the rest of the week.
snow report
Looking at Snow-Guess, the "big snow" could finally be on it's way Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
Nem - I didn't know O-V did a beginners pass. I know you can pay for a single lift as a pedestrian, but only at the desk. There is no card reader to return from Montfrais or La Villette, or to use the magic carpet in Montfrais.

Rainman - Monica is great, has taught all my family, but she does like Les Jeux!
ski holidays
Bjorn_again_Daehlie, what's their latest guess?
ski holidays
eggman- The beginners pass is 10euro and does the lift up to montfrais and the magic carpet. It has to be bought at the desk. Its probably the same one you know of. I'm not sure if it allows you to take the blue down to the villete midstation and back up- Does anyone know?
I emailed the desk and the beginners pass definately available this year. We figured it would give us a little bit of skiing. A half day pass is 30-50euros each which is alot for 5 of us.
snow report
It's 25 Euros for an Vaujany+Oz pass for half a day afaik. That is the option I would take. Even if the blue to Villete was open and allowed it wouldn't be up to much.
latest report
Nick D, There is 85cm forecast over the next 6 days. Even if we get half that, it would be great. Are you there for half-term this year?
snow conditions
Bjorn_again_Daehlie, Yep, out there just for the week, Richard out in Oz says snow expected down to 1000m tonight, shaping up nicely Very Happy
snow conditions
Nick D, Yep - snowing heavily at the moment in Oz with plenty more on the way. Very Happy
ski holidays
Thanks Layne- good advice- I was looking at full area half day. Depending on time we'll probably go for the one you suggest.

Lots of snow! brilliant. Dying to get away form the wind and rain in uk.
ski holidays
So, the good news for anyone coming out soon is there was another fall yesterday, and there was sun and powder until lunch today. Fabulous fabulous, I feel giddy with this overdose of joy. Anyone concerned about half term, you can become unconcerned. Everyone expects plenty more over the next seven days. Powder nirvana in Alpe, I am rising onto another astral plane ...... Laughing
snow report
FranzKlammer, Blimey, calm down Laughing What happened at lunch time? conditions deteriorated or you got over excited and had to lie down for the afternoon? Seriously, great news.
latest report
Nick D, are you an Oz or Vaujany type? Just wondered how necessary chains are to get up to Oz in big snow?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rainman, We have a place in Oz. Although they are pretty good at ploughing (albeit not as thorough as previous years due to budget cuts) if the snows heavy you will likely need chains for at least the last few hundred metres into the station unless you have snow tyres in which case you should normally make it up ok.
ski holidays
Nick D, cheers!
snow report
Another foot of snow !
snow report
We were there last week, conditions were pretty good then, can't imagine what they're like now!!
ski holidays
rainman, I have always been able to drive up to Oz with just Winter tyres on. With normal tyres if you have a bit of snow on the road it might be a bit tricky though.
snow report
rainman, When are you in Oz?
snow report
Bjorn_again_Daehlie, mid-March, so I'm fully expecting it to be clear (last time I was there in March it was about 20C!) but we are renting a big 7 seater this time, so am a bit more concerned about getting up the hill.
ski holidays
rainman, I'll probably be there mid-March too. I would check with the rental company if they have Winter tyres as standard. In Luxembourg, as they're required by law, the rental company has to provide them. However, I don't think it's the same in France. They then rent you chains which is a good way for them to make money as they charge you close to the price of a new set of chains. If you're lucky enough and they have Winter tyres as standard then you should be fine without the chains.
snow conditions
Bjorn_again_Daehlie, thanks for the tip.
snow conditions
First day skiing in AdH today.

Wind and snow were the main elements. Up high wasn't open. But it hasn't really stopped snowing. Hopefully tomorrow will be clear to enjoy it.
snow report
anyone over there now? Whats it been like this week? Its wild in the uk!
latest report
My brother has been over this week and I managed a ski last Sunday. Yesterday was the worst day as rain at resort level which later turned to snow. He has had a great week skiing with the conditions being pretty good. Very Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy