Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France: Alpe d'Huez, Oz, Vaujany, Villard, Auris

Poster: A snowHead
Couldn't see a new thread started for this winter....gentlemen (& ladies), start your engines!

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 11-10-13 13:09; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I was out there in mid-October, bitterly cold and about three inches of new snow. I took the bike up the track (route des lacs ?) to the lifts at 2100 where they had laid all the gondolas out on the ground. Then it was back down through the snow, legs out wide, taking in a new lift they have built - half chair, half cabin, expensive and I thought fairly pointless. It replaces an old drag lift that ran from Les Bergers slowly up the hill to connect with the bottom of the DMC, previously called Rifnel. This one goes slightly higher, and cost 5 or 6 million euros. Great for beginners, but everything these days in ADH seems to be built with beginners in mind. Think of all the recent projects - Les Romains chairlift, the new blue Les Chevreuils in Oz or Les Louvets chair on the Auris side - and now this new pricey lift. It's as though they've given up on anyone but families - what do others think ?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
There was an outcry (small) when they opened Marmottes 3 some ten years ago, the last time anything was built at height, opening up a second access point to 3000m. Off piste skiers didn't want any more infrastructure up there, just as people who regularly ski la Combe du Loup don't want it being turned into a piste. I think it used to be a piste long ago, though correct me if I'm wrong. My point is this is complicated, though I do agree money is being spent primarily on family friendly stuff. But if that is the way ADH is moving I don't care as it'll mean more untracked areas elsewhere on the mountain.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
FranzKlammer, agree with you. I'm still annoyed they put that new Bartavelles red in - nice piste but trashed a fun off piste area. The joy of the ADH area is that you have lifts to the top of 2 peaks (Dome des Rousses and Pic Blanc) but pistes take up very little of the terrain accessible from them

Must get back this year...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I see they are still putting together the Rifnel replacement (from looking at Bergers webcam) - seems to be leaving it a bit last minute!

I'm off to ADH over New Year, hope for better conditions than last visit which was Feb half term in 2011, far too warm and too little snow, combined with vast half term crowds. Sad

Still, a bad day on the slopes is better than a good day at work, as they say.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
SteveM, and then 8 more snowheads follow you there a week or so later
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
chrisb, so don't blame me if all the trees look a little nervous Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
FranzKlammer, Combe Du Loup was a black piste a few years back and featured as an itinerary (bit like Roche Melun at Montfrais) on the piste map until relatively recently I think. I wouldn't think they'd bother to reopen it due to the sometimes tricky traverse in but who knows, really hope not. I'm unsure about the developments, they've definitely dumbed down several pistes, Rousses Wall used to be a fun place to be late afternoon! but as long as the access to the OP isn't compromised and the queues don't get too silly I don't really have a problem with it. Chevrueils means we can now ski back to our door between the chalets so very happy with that development even if it did cause the Alpette car park to get washed away last Autumn!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm looking forward to seeing the changes when I come in February, last visit was in 2008.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I`ve become a little fixated on this http://alpedhuez.livecam360.com/signal/flash/main.php
Quick look before work; again at lunch time and once more for luck in the late p.m. Sad really.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
jonty,
Yes, they need to get a shift on with that cafe don't they.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
skitow, I hope they've upgraded the staff and service as well as the building!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If they are going to spend any more money, I'd like to see it go on opening up areas that don't suffer late season melt. Les Bergers in April - south facing, fast melting, starts smelling like a farmyard every year. But that area seems to be the one SATA keep investing in, not just Les Romains and Rifnel but the Marmottes 1 upgrade as well. That's three hefty capital projects in the last few years. I feel I've got us off the central subject of this thread - weather and snow conditions - but I'm a bit fed up with skiing down late season ribbons of snow. Somewhere there was a thread with some pictures of what it looked like in April 2010 ....
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
mark cavendish, fair enough, but it seems pretty inevitable given how hard the area immediately around ADH gets pounded by the sun. For selfish reasons I would hate for them to develop Montfrais/Vaujany more than they have done already and that's the main N facing area in the domain I think
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Arno, Just a replacement for the Clos Giraud chair would be nice.
snow report
Nick D, slowest chair lift ever!
snow conditions
Arno, Played many a long game of 'spot the glove' on there!
snow report
Nick D wrote:
skitow, I hope they've upgraded the staff and service as well as the building!

Couldn`t agree more.
snow report
Heavy snow forecast and temperature is dropping. Fingers crossed it'll give a base which will last to the start of the season Very Happy
snow report

april 2010

At the moment it is skiable above 2200 m on the pistes and the snow on Tuesday will fall at 1500 meters with, in theory, enough to open some lifts.
ski holidays
davidof, I have similar pics from Easter 2010, remember well having to take our skis off and walk through the mud at the mid point DMC. We gave up and went to L2A to see out the season. Snow Guess are predicting heavy snow all week so fingers crossed!
ski holidays
Webcams looking good...
latest report
Thats more like it! hope this keeps up...
ski holidays
15cm-ish in town at the moment. Been snowing non stop all day although it's due to drop off by tomorrow morning.
ski holidays
Swadster, How's it looking today? looks like around a foot has fallen on the Bergers webcam.
snow report
First time there with a bunch of 7 other snowheads. Where is the best area to ski in bad weather or high winds?

Looking at the webcams this morning its dumping it!

SteveM, save some snow for us!
ski holidays
SteveM wrote:
chrisb, so don't blame me if all the trees look a little nervous Madeye-Smiley

I dont know what you mean Steve wink
snow conditions
surfski, high winds can screw the place up a bit. In snowy weather, doing laps of the slopes above Villard Reculas can be fun, as can messing around in the trees above Montfrais/Vaujany
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

I have similar pics from Easter 2010, remember well having to take our skis off and walk through the mud at the mid point DMC

that was an exceptionally warm Easter, though - lots of places closed early including much of the Chamonix Valley.
latest report
Arno wrote:
surfski, high winds can screw the place up a bit. In snowy weather, doing laps of the slopes above Villard Reculas can be fun, as can messing around in the trees above Montfrais/Vaujany

If you're staying in ADH itself I'd second Arno's shout ref. Villard, Montfrais may be a little harder to access from ADH & the taxi fare from Vaujanys a bit of a crippler!
snow conditions
Arno, Nick D, thanks guys for the tips. I will look at the piste maps. Looking better on the cams today.
latest report
surfski wrote:
Where is the best area to ski in bad weather or high winds?

From what I recall of our last trip surfski, when it was bad weather you all wimped out and found a bar or similar. Toofy Grin
You have the photo to prove what I looked like when I came back in, though Shocked

But rest assured, I'll try and leave some snow for you all. Enjoy your trip! It will be my second to ADH.
latest report
Looking much better now! I guess new the signal cafe won't be getting a proper roof this winter, looks like an architects folly to me, look forward to banging my head on those low flying angled beams.
snow report
Nick D wrote:
Looking much better now! I guess new the signal cafe won't be getting a proper roof this winter, looks like an architects folly to me, look forward to banging my head on those low flying angled beams.

I think you are right, looks even better this morning. The snow that is, not the cafe.

http://alpedhuez.livecam360.net/signal
ski holidays
Looking very good!
snow report
Been snowing again and a whopping 125cm forecast in the next 6 days. Should set a good base for the season as long as it doesn't get blown away. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
Bjorn_again_Daehlie, Forecast looks encouraging, kind of wished we'd planned to go over earlier now but Mrs D has to work Christmas Day this year. The Signal resto has a 'roof' (sail) now and they even have a website for it http://www.signal2108.fr/index.html
ski holidays
Nick D, wish I'd planned to go down earlier too. We're going down on the 1st Jan until the 6th, so hopefully some of the good conditions will still be there. When is your first trip planned?
ski holidays
Bjorn_again_Daehlie, 27th Dec - 6th Jan, shaping up to be decent.
ski holidays
Nick D, I should see you in the Pottee then Very Happy Had a look at the webcam and they have the signs lit up on the new resto. Very contemporary.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy