Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

SR : Shiribeshi Stories, Hokkaido 2012/13

Poster: A snowHead
Timmaah wrote:
Mike Pow, was wondering if you could help out with some info. Am going to be out in Japan mid-Jan to Feb. Was wondering if you knew any good places to get cheap lift tickets? I keep reading on accom sites how they give discounted tickets but was curious what the deal actually is? I know the resort has a saporro + lift ticket deal which looks good and going to go for that.. But otherwise, where in resort's a good idea to get them?

This might help

5 Tips for booking Lift passes in Niseko
http://niseko-wow.com/niseko-lift-passes

Quote:
Additionally.. when was the last time you skied Furano? We're going to be there for a few days and wondered if we should just use it as a base and ski Tomamu, Kamui and Asahidake? Or if they're not as strict anymore? We will have a rental car when we're in Furano, so getting around shouldn't be an issue.

Never skied Furano because of their strict no off-groomed policy.

I'm led to believe that they've relaxed their policy the past couple of seasons and it's ok to ski off-groomed now.

There's some great slackcountry out of Furano, and Hokkaido Powder Guides are the guys to speak with.

http://www.hokkaidopowderguides.com/

If I had to rank the other three then it would be:

1. Kamui
2. Asahidake
3. Tomamu

But all three are worth a visit. And Kurodake if it's open.

Hope that helps.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
DAY 12 : MONDAY 26 NOVEMBER 2012

5 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

Went to bed in Higashiyama, woke up in Whistler.

5 cm of heavy, wet snow had fallen overnight - which will help build the base and flatten the sasa - but by mid-morning the worst four letters a ski town can hear made a very unwelcome appearance

R - A - I - N

As I type (close to 2pm) it's turned to sleet / wet snow at approx. 300 m and the forecast is for the temperature to drop through the day and snow to return.

http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Niseko/6day/bot

Pretty sure it's snowing above mid-mountain but with the only uplift in Niseko Hirafu being uncovered chairlifts I'm not the martyr to find out and report back.

There's another spike forecast for Wednesday evening, but after that it looks like winter is here to stay with the freezing level dropping to sea level.

With a base area at 570 m, a freezing level of 650 m tonight, and close to 25 cm of snow forecast in the next 18 hrs Kiroro could well the destination tomorrow.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
DAY 13 : TUESDAY 27 NOVEMBER 2012

7 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

Shovelled lighter snow this morning and set off for Kiroro bright and early.

Got as far as Hirafu and the blizzard started. Snow blowing horizontally, gusts shaking the van.

Got about 5km out of Kutchan on Rt 393 to Kiroro and pulled the pin.

Was down to 15 kph and about 10 m visibility. No fun at all.

Did my weekly shop at Max Value and then went to check if Niseko Hirafu was running.

Nope. And hardly surprising.

Drove home and had a laundry and shovelling day.

Cleared 35 cm so far and it's still coming down as I type at 5.30 pm

Thankfully the wind has let up.

If the lifts run tomorrow, then it could be pretty special up top.

To see what it was like in Hirafu today check out Glen's pics

http://360niseko.com/blog/first-big-winter-storm-for-the-2012-13-season/
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
DAY 14 : WEDNESDAY 28 NOVEMBER 2012

35 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

As of today 128 cm (50") has fallen at MQ

That puts it as the second snowiest November in the seven winters I've been keeping records.

The snowiest was November 2007 with 177cm (70") of snowfall. Still 2 days left in the month and it's snowing as I type, so you never know.

As forecast, this morning was calm and sunny and there was a healthy line up of locals for the 8.30 chair.

Yesterday's storm has transformed the mountain with Super course good to go although still roped off and closed.

And by mid-morning a number of skiers and boarders had put the first tracks of the season in Super Ridge. Still plenty of sasa poking through, but some obvious lines already forming in the face.

I made a couple of solo runs down Furiko, Alpen and Onsenzawa trying to figure out the ION POV camera. I failed.

The powder wasn't as deep as opening weekend, the wind had seen to that, but it was fast and consistent with huge rooster tails being left in the wake of the boarders and skiers on twin tips.

Onsenzawa was much deeper, so next lap I dropped into Konayuki and found what I was looking for.

After a quick lap with Glen I teamed up with James and Lee from last Sunday's turns along with their work colleagues Lena from Nagoya on the main island of Honshu and Fergus from Leeds, England.

We headed to Konayuki and spent the next hour or so lapping the powder.

There were plenty of tracks already in Konayuki, but even more islands of goodness.

James dropping under the gondola line in Konayuki with Mt Yotei in the background

Lee getting air in Konayuki

James getting air in Konayuki

Lee kicking up some fluff in Konayuki

James kicking up some fluff in Konayuki

Lena getting in on the act

Lee getting air in Konayuki

We moved on from Konayuki to an area that had been overlooked all morning

Fergus showing what the others had been missing

Lee in and out of the shadows

James in the shadows

Fergus getting deep

And last, but certainly not least, Lena getting the goods in Onsenzawa

Hard to believe that it's still November. Long may it continue.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
need to be in Japan...
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Awful, absolutely awful...
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mike Pow wrote:

Fergus showing what the others had been missing

OH...MY....WORD!!!!!! January 20th cannot come around soon enough!! Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks AndAnotherThing, Sharkymark and Touchguru.

Only getting better from here on in snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mike Pow, looks good out there!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks nozawaonsen. A great November.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
DAY 15 : THURSDAY 29 NOVEMBER 2012

1 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

Just before midnight on Wednesday the heavens opened and rain hit village level for around an hour or so.

The rain was accompanied by thunder and lightning but I managed to sleep through it all, Wednesday's turns taking more out of me than I thought.

The temperature dropped just before sunrise and I woke to a light dusting on the deck.

With the wind gusting and the snow blowing it was a day for shoveling, using the snow blower and recharging.

DAY 16 : FRIDAY 30 NOVEMBER 2012

17 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

Colder this morning with superlight Hokkaido powder stacked up on the deck.

November brought 146 cm (57") of snowfall and has set the mountain up really well for the season.

Visibility was poor today with fog rolling up and down the mountain as the temperature fluctuated.

But the snow was light and consistent with more and more terrain being skiable.

Boot top to knee deep ski penetration with the new snow flying everywhere.

At mid-mountain there was a noticable rain crust but it soon got mixed in as more and more tracks were made over the mountain.

Skied solo for the first 2 hrs and then met up with James and Fergus from Wednesday's turns and recently arrived Nick from W Kirby near Liverpool, England.

Not really the day for pics, but managed to get the boys in action.

Fergus too fast for me

James is in there somewhere

James in Konayuki

Nick in Konayuki

Fergus in Konayuki

As we were taking our last run the lift crew fired up the King Hooded Triple chair, hopefully in preparation for this weekend.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
DAY 17 : SATURDAY 01 DECEMBER 2012

9 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

Flights? check
Accommodation? check
Rental car? check
Snowing in Hirafu? check

WORKING FOR THE WEEKEND

Finish work Friday evening and make a beeline to the car / train station / airport and head to the mountains.

Such is the weekend routine for many Mon-Fri workers looking to ski as many days as possible during the winter.

Tracy, Mitch, and Jeff currently of the parish of Tokyo are three such "gentlemen of the real world" and Hokkaido was their destination this weekend.

I skied with Jeff on opening weekend at Niseko Hirafu in 2007 and Tracy has been a student of mine since 2009.

After a quick stop at Rhythm Snowsports for Mitch to get boots, skis & poles we were on our way up Center 4 excited to ski the powder below us.

Tracy and Jeff had already made turns this winter ski touring at Tateyama in the Hida Mountains on Honshu, but for Mitch it was the first time on skis in a long while.

It only took us a run to find our feet, and then it was on to the King Hooded Triple chair for the first time this season.

It was snowing hard at this stage and the powder in Rinkan was mid-thigh deep.

Our laps consisted of Rinkan to Konayuki, Rinkan to the old lift line, and Rinkan to Miharashi (the run not the trees).

Jeff getting up and down at the bottom of Konayuki

Around mid-day the sun made a timely but brief appearance and we headed to Super Ridge.

Jeff skiing Super Ridge

Tracy skiing Super Ridge

Mitch skiing Super Ridge

Jeff doing the Sasa Slalom on Super Ridge

Tracy skiing Super Ridge

Mitch picking his way out of Super Ridge

Mitch, Jeff & Tracy on Sennoki with Mt Yotei in the background

After this brief interlude the sunshine disappeared, the snow returned and we skied through to last lift still finding plenty of untracked turns.

Jeff in the old lift line

Mitch in the old lift line

Tracy in the old lift line

An excellent day topped off with steak dinner and adult beverages at the Vale Bar and Grill (VBG).

9cm had accumulated on my deck during the day and as I went to sleep in the early hours of Sunday morning after watching Wales clutch defeat from the jaws of victory against Australia in rugby, the steps were slowly disappearing.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
DAY 18 : SUNDAY 02 DECEMBER 2012

23 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

Niseko Village opened for the season yesterday, but today was the first running of the Niseko Village gondola.

After picking up Tracy, Jeff and Mitch at Sekka - their accommodation for the weekend - we drove to the Niseko Hirafu base area.

Whilst others were racing each other and skiing tracked powder on Jumbo, Super course, Furiko and Alpen we headed up the Ace Pair Lift #3 and skated over to Niseko Village.

At first we wondered whether it was in fact open.

The sun was out, the snow was knee deep and featherlight on the ungroomed runs and deeper in the trees.

Dabesa to lower Superstition to Jagaimo to Misoshiru and the coast back on Shakey Knees to the gondola.

The only tracks before us were those of the patrollers and we had it to ourselves for three runs before the ski & snowboard school joined us.

Mitch skiing Jagaimo

Jeff skiing Jagaimo

Tracy skiing Jagaimo

Tracy waist deep in Misoshuru

Tracy is on new skis this winter, the Idris Chamois, handmade in the Chamonix valley by our own Idris.

120-88-112 in a 175cm length

http://idriskis.com/chamois.html

Unbelievably light, but strong and lively. Mounted with Dynafit bindings they're the perfect platform for Hokkaido powder in and out of the resorts.

And that showed this weekend.

The sunshine eventually baked the new snow and after 5 laps we headed back over to Niseko Hirafu.

This was the first time I'd skied this section of Niseko United with such good snow. It won't be the last this season.

And I'll be taking the Mizuno no Sawa Programme as soon as it starts this winter.

http://www.niseko-village.com/en/winter/mizunonosawa.html

When we got back to Niseko Hirafu winter had returned.

The temperature was lower and the snow in much better condition despite being tracked.

We ran the same laps as yesterday finding fantastc powder conditions top to bottom.

A fabulous weekend of powder and the perfect way for the boys to start their lift-accessed season.

Thanks for coming up boys and look forward to skiing with you again this winter.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DAY 19 : MONDAY 03 DECEMBER 2012

2 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

Our own MagSeven from Asahikawa drove south yesterday to ski Kiroro and had a ball by the sounds of things.

MagSeven screenshot from Kiroro yesterday

With news that the gondola was running with waist to chest deep powder to be had, today was the day to ski Kiroro for the first time this winter.

I was greeted with sunshine, blue skies, no wind, and clear views from the ocean back to the Niseko Resort Area.

Frost encrusted birch at the top of the Kiroro gondola

The groomed runs were in fantastic condition and with hardly anyone on the mountain all day it was safe to let the skis run.

The obvious off-groomed areas inside and beyond the ropes were well tracked but there were still plenty of diamonds to enjoy.

I took a look at mine and Ian M's usual routes and whilst the top sections were magnificent, the middle to lower sections were still thick with sasa, alder and stunted birch.

More importantly the snow bridges across the many rivers running through Kiroro have not yet formed making the run outs impossible.

It's going to take a few more storms for Kiroro to share all its delights.

On the drive back I stopped to take a few pictures of the avalanche barriers that line Rt 393 'The Maple Byway' on the Kiroro side of the Ponkutosan tunnel, which have become de riguer for all visiting ski & snowboard film crews.

The barriers are set into the ground and then secured by wires and as evidenced by the following images need prodigous amounts of snow to make the transitions clean and cover up the 'torso splitting' wires.

Here's Roman Rohrmoser showing what's possible when the conditions allow (barrier action at the 1 min mark)

Roman Rohrmoser in Warren Miller's 'Flow State'

http://youtube.com/v/fp83L9fRdC0

DAY 20 : TUESDAY 04 DECEMBER 2012

0 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

I was woken in the early hours of the morning by the torrential RAIN hammering against the windows and the roof, and had to turn the heater off as the temperature has climbed well above freezing.

The rain stopped at 11am.

There's been at least 15 cm of snow base loss / compaction around my cabin, which if truth be told certainly helps with seasonal snow management.

How the mountain fares is another matter.

http://snow-forecast.com has the freezing level at 1600 m (well above the summits in this area) dropping down to 100 m by day's end.

The best we can hope for is a compaction of the snowpack followed by wet, heavy snow to smooth things out, and then light, Hokkaido powder the remainder of the week.

It's not unprecedented at this time of the year and is forecast.

As is another warming period on Thursday morning where the freezing level is forecast to be 800 m with heavy rain below that line.

A day for reading, writing, tv shows, movies, maybe an onsen, a leisurely lunch, and resting up.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Mike Pow wrote:

Our own MagSeven from Asahikawa

I live in Iwamizawa, a city between Sapporo and Asahikawa. When you mention the name Iwamizawa to anyone in Hokkaido, invariably they'll know about it for getting crazy amounts of snow, even for Hokkaido standards. (A google of 'Iwamizawa' and 'snow' will show some great videos and photos) Unfortunately, we only have a low ridge of hills here, so I spend more time digging and clearing snow than I do skiing it here!
latest report
Thanks for the clarification MagSeven.

Here's one such report by the BBC from last winter

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/feeds/16599168
ski holidays
UPDATE

To help us through the rain, and if the snow doesn't arrive sharpish the ice, here are some rough video edits from the previous four days to give you a sense of what the conditions have been like.

Myself and Nick skiing Grand Hirafu on Friday 30 November 2012

After skiing the Ace Pair #3 lift line I ducked into Miharashi and then Miharashi trees skier's left of the run.

It wasn't really ready but you don't know unless you go!

http://youtube.com/v/NjmgydYP3C0&feature=plcp

Yours truly skiing Konayuki at Niseko Hirafu on Saturday 01 December 2012

http://youtube.com/v/HKKNy3nRzBE&feature=plcp

Jeff, Mitch, Tracy and yours truly skiing Jagaimo and Misoshuru at Niseko Village on Sunday 02 December 2012

http://youtube.com/v/KFbNGTS4oQg

Yours truly skiing Kiroro on Monday 03 December 2012

I've been skiing on my Head Supershape i. Magnums (121-71-107) since the lifts started turning.

They let me into the powder more than my Movement Jams (136-85-117) but this early in the season the sasa and buried alder and birch trees are always ready to take me down.

http://youtube.com/v/HJ17Rzm27FQ&feature=plcp
latest report
DAY 21 : WEDNESDAY 05 DECEMBER 2012

21 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

What a difference a day makes!

Torrential rain all morning yesterday. The driveway back to dirt, gravel and grass. Puddles on the deck.

Then the temperature dropped and we got frost and ice after dark.

Went to bed at 1.30 am this morning under clear, frigid skies and woke at 8.30 am to see everything covered in white and more snow coming down.

As of today 201 cm (79") has fallen at MQ

As light as the new snow was and as enticing making turns today was I sat this one out hoping that by tomorrow the rain crust / ice layer will be well covered and hidden.

It's snowing hard as I type, big Hokkaido flakes, with snow forecast through Monday.
snow report
DAY 22 : THURSDAY 06 DECEMBER 2012

3 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

The snow stopped at lunchtime yesterday and first hand accounts of skiing Niseko Hirafu described dust on crust with Rinkan offering the best turns.

Took a drive to Chitose airport to collect Ian M and the loss of snow was startling.

Thankfully the mountains haven't suffered as badly.

Wet, heavy snow started falling around 8am this morning accompanied by high winds that's closed the Center 4, Ace Pair #3 and Hooded Triple lifts at Niseko Hirafu.

At 10 am I experienced a first.

Snowing heavily then a flash of lightning followed by a huge clap of thunder directly overhead.

It's passed through and it looks like we've escaped the rain that was forecast for this morning.

But it's been blowing a hooligan since mid-day with the odd blizzard mixed in for good measure.

Conditions are going to be interesting, and potentially very dangerous, in the alpine.
snow report
DAY 23 : FRIDAY 07 DECEMBER 2012

17 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

What a night!

The wind kept howling through the night and my cabin was rattling like an old tooth.

Thankfully there wasn't much new snow accompanying the wind otherwise we would have had some serious drifting.

I woke to calmer conditions and 17 cm of superlight Hokkaido powder on the deck, and waited at home until 8.30 am checking the Niseko United web site to see if the lifts would be turning in Niseko Village and Niseko Hirafu this morning.

No to the gondola running in Niseko Village but yes to the Center 4 in Niseko Hirafu.

It was scramble time.

9.15 am and I was on my way up the Center 4 chairlift.

Fair play to Tokyu (the company running the lifts in Niseko Hirafu), after a day of atrocious weather they were able to get the mountain open.

Unfortunately the uncovered chairlift is second division stuff with it still snowing and blowing.

But the Hirafu gondola is scheduled to open tomorrow for the first time this season.

Torrential rain Tuesday, dust on crust Wednesday, gale force winds Thursday.

And today?

It was worth the wait.

FACE SHOT FRIDAY

http://youtube.com/v/il2T4yaGHTY
snow conditions
Quote:
Quote:
Additionally.. when was the last time you skied Furano? We're going to be there for a few days and wondered if we should just use it as a base and ski Tomamu, Kamui and Asahidake? Or if they're not as strict anymore? We will have a rental car when we're in Furano, so getting around shouldn't be an issue.

Never skied Furano because of their strict no off-groomed policy.

I'm led to believe that they've relaxed their policy the past couple of seasons and it's ok to ski off-groomed now.

There's some great slackcountry out of Furano, and Hokkaido Powder Guides are the guys to speak with.

http://www.hokkaidopowderguides.com/

If I had to rank the other three then it would be:

1. Kamui
2. Asahidake
3. Tomamu

But all three are worth a visit. And Kurodake if it's open.

Hope that helps.

Skied Furano one day last year. It was OK but not amazing. They still have lots of signs out forbidding off-piste skiing but as long as you don't take the wee wee they didn't seem to mind. That said the off-piste didn't seem as good as Niseko to me. Tighter trees and a myriad of steep-sided gullies to get stuck in. We had to make some interesting navigational choices. Perhaps there is better stuff to be found - and the dam run on skiers right of the resort is excellent - but we couldn't find it easily. Definitely preferred Kamui and would probably put Asahidake a smidge ahead of Furano too (it definitely would have been if we'd been prepared to hike the peak).

MikePow - great photos. Keep 'em coming and don't use all the snow. I might be out at the end of March. Cool
snow report
Cheers thebongolian.

Think there'll be a little bit for you to play with in March.
ski holidays
DAY 24 : SATURDAY 08 DECEMBER 2012

18 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

Niseko Hanazono opened for the winter this morning and it seems it was the hot ticket as Niseko Hirafu and Niseko Village were deserted after the first lift cycle.

With my experiences in Miharashi this past week I didn't think the Strawberry and Blueberry Fields snowpack would be set up with no skier / boarder traffic to date.

Word on the street is I was wrong and the Hanazono powder was creamy and smooth with big features to pop off and very accommodating landings.

Today's turns were made with long time ski partner Ian MacKenzie and newly arrived in town Hamilton from Washington State, USA by way of Tokyo.

Hamilton is mixing cocktails and sharing stories at Maki Lounge - on the first floor of Sekka - this winter.

http://www.j-sekka.com/dining/

It was the first time on snow this winter for both Ian and Hamilton so we lapped the Center 4 chair and the gondola for the first hour.

The grooming at Niseko Hirafu was average at best which is very disappointing considering over 2m of snowfall and the lack of traffic, so it wasn't long before we were skiing the ungroomed and the trees.

The powder wasn't as light as yesterday but there were still loads of great turns to be made in Onsenzawa, Miharashi and Konayuki.

It started snowing around 2pm and with cold temperatures and over 50 cm forecast between now and Wednesday the coming week is set fair.
ski holidays
DAY 25 : SUNDAY 09 DECEMBER 2012

19 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

With all four areas of the Niseko United open, Niseko Hirafu was pleasantly quiet for a Sunday.

I had the opportunity to spend another day on the mountain with 9-year old skier Kai Martin and 11-year old boarder Conrad Mitchell and I jumped at the chance.

Not literally, but they certainly did.

We lapped the Center 4 and Hirafu gondola getting powder, pillows and air in Konayuki, the old lift line, Miharashi and the Hirafu terrain park.

Kai warming up in the old lift line

Conrad warming up in the old lift line

And a little higher

Kai going a little higher

Conrad getting up and down in Miharashi

Kai launching and landing in Miharashi

http://youtube.com/v/-JTN49xB_C0&feature=plcp

Great day out.

Fun to ski with them and watch them eye their lines. There's no substitute for starting early and being brought up in the mountains.

Thanks for your patience boys, when you just wanted to rip.
latest report
DAY 26 : MONDAY 10 DECEMBER 2012

46 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

Yes you read that right, 46 cm (18") of dry, light Hokkaido powder in the last 24 hrs.

As of today 304 cm (120") has fallen at MQ

The deck and van were buried

Sumi making trenches

but not as much as this car left overnight in the Alpen car park at Niseko Hirafu

The excitement at Center 4 was palpable and the mad rush down Super course was exciting to watch.

Spent the first two hours of the ski day playing the model for Glen Claydon getting some deep powder shots

You can see more of Glen's words, photography and movies at Glen Claydon Photography

http://www.glenclaydon.com/

And if you're visiting Niseko this winter and want your memories captured forever, get in touch with Glen.

He's based in Rhythm Snowsports on Hirafu-zaka (the road heading up to the Alpen Base area) and offers professional images in digital and print formats and fully edited movies of your time in the Niseko Resort Area.

Then it was off to Chitose to meet Nerys who's back on Hokkaido for her third ski trip of 2012 but the first of the 2012/13 season.

Watch this space!
ski holidays
Mike Pow, Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
I already love this thread to bits.
How gorgeous are Kai and Conrad?!
snow conditions
How quickly does it all get tracked out? Is it like St Anton where it's 1-2 hours and it's all gone?
snow conditions
Timmaah, when I was there you could get fresh tracks mostly all day, then it usually snowed 20-40cm over night and filled all the tracks in, ready for another day!

So yes, it gets tracked, but get's 'refreshed' more regularly than Euro resorts
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
+1 to the above.

And obviously depends on the day of the week and the month Timmaah.

Weekends busier than weekdays.

End of December, January, and early February the busiest time of the season.

But ski away from the Niseko Resort Area, and it's fresh tracks all day.
snow report
Pedantica wrote:
Mike Pow, Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
I already love this thread to bits.
How gorgeous are Kai and Conrad?!

Thanks.

Yeah they're great boys.
snow conditions
DAY 27 : TUESDAY 11 DECEMBER 2012

24 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

Cocktails by Hamilton at the Maki Lounge with Ian MacKenzie, Andy & Pam Laidlaw, and Nerys yesterday evening followed by dinner at Niseko Pizza was the perfect start to Nerys' Hokkaido holiday.

Hamilton's Secret Martini comes highly recommended.

Nerys & I woke to a bluebird powder day in the Niseko Resort Area but I took the tough decision of driving on by and heading to Kiroro for Nerys' first day on snow this season.

Nerys learned to ski in Kiroro in February 2012 and in my experience 'familiarity breeds comfort'.

By the time we got to Kiroro the sun had disappeared and it was snowing heavily.

Exactly the same conditions when she first got on skis.

We'd been shopping in the close season and Nerys was in new boots - Head Edge +8.5, the boots she rented last season - and on her first set of skis, the Rossignol Temptation 82 (132-82-119 in a 152 cm length).

Both performed with aplomb in the very mixed conditions we experienced over the course of the day, from perfectly groomed runs - some with a 5-10 cm covering of new powder the consistency of talcum - through to knee deep tracked powder.

Great to see Nerys get right back into the flow despite 8 months off skis

They've added a few menu items to the day lodge, this one's Szechuan style bean curd with rice

"It's just like riding a bike"

http://youtube.com/v/bNFiLrOjcS0

All in all an excellent first day back on skis.
snow report
Putting the 'Pow' into Mike Pow I see
ski holidays
Mike Pow, enjoying tis thread, I'm gonna have to make an effort to set some money aside and make it over next season.

What's the avi situation like? Most of the terrain in videos seems fairly mellow, but obviously you get a hell of a lot of snow... Does it slide often? Do you get avi bulletins, maybe online like for the Alps?
ski holidays
clarky999, Niseko avalannche bulletin is here. Terrain in Niseko is mostly mellow, and access to a lot of the backcountry is controlled by piste patrol who will close gates for a day or two if a big storm has gone through to allow the snowpack to stabilise a little (the so-called "Niseko Rules"). Mike will know better than me, but I believe there has only been one fatal avalanche since the Niseko Rules were introduced 15(?) years ago.
snow report
I think Admin should put together a sushi bash wink I'd be there. snowHead
snow report
Sharkymark wrote:
Putting the 'Pow' into Mike Pow I see

"You've got to be in it to win it" wink snowHead

That was the first turn of the first run of the day.

There was deeper with bigger domeage.
snow conditions
rob@rar wrote:
clarky999, Niseko avalannche bulletin is here. Terrain in Niseko is mostly mellow, and access to a lot of the backcountry is controlled by piste patrol who will close gates for a day or two if a big storm has gone through to allow the snowpack to stabilise a little (the so-called "Niseko Rules"). Mike will know better than me, but I believe there has only been one fatal avalanche since the Niseko Rules were introduced 15(?) years ago.

+1

The normal weather pattern is a

very consistent temperature profile
not a great deal of sunshine
not a great deal of wind loading
consistent low density snowfall that bonds to the previous layer very well
no huge dumps of snow in a 24 hr period

All of the above contribute to a stable snowpack.

Slabs can and do develop when we get serious wind events.

No fatalities in or out of bounds since I've been skiing here. A couple of deaths nearby in the backcountry.

A couple of people taken for a ride last winter when a gully off the Peak went. Broken leg and frayed nerves.
ski holidays
Mike Pow,
Quote:

"It's just like riding a bike"

The grin says it all! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Yeah she's loving it Pedantica. Thanks.
ski holidays
DAY 28 : WEDNESDAY 12 DECEMBER 2012

8 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

We drove away from another bluebird day in the Niseko Resort Area this morning, but today we were rewarded with blue skies, sunshine and fresh powder of our own at Rusutsu.

I've never seen the resort so quiet, but the deserted slopes and pockets of powder on the fringes of the perfectly groomed pistes were just what Nerys needed for her second day on snow.

I ventured in little further and there was plenty of fast, untracked, knee deep powder to enjoy.

We also got to enjoy wonderful views of the Niseko Resort Area, Mt Yotei, Shiribetsudake, Lake Toya and the Pacific Ocean.

Throw in frost & snow encrusted birch and it made for a fabulous day.

12 for 12/12/12

Nerys with West Mtn, Hotel Rusutsu and Shiribetsudake in the background

Nerys skiing Heavenly View on Mt Isola with Lake Toya and the Pacific Ocean as her backdrop

Nerys skiing on and off Heavenly View

Nerys in Narnia

The deserted Heavenly View

"Where do you want me to turn again?"

http://youtube.com/v/qCrRzFwi9E8

And in the evening we had a couple of drinks at Black Diamond's 12/12/12 party in Higashiyama.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Fri 14-12-12 11:25; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy