Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

SR : Shiribeshi Stories, Hokkaido 2012/13

Poster: A snowHead
Finally caught up with this thread, which keeps delivering much like Niseko itself.

Happy Belated New Year to you Mike Pow...
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Cheers Ordinary Skiier.

Same to you.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
DAY 50 : THURSDAY 03 JANUARY 2013

21 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

We had hoped to ski over to Niseko Annupuri today, but with the top lifts closed all day due to high winds we concentrated our efforts skiing the Center 4 and King Hooded Triple chairs of Niseko Hirafu.

Graeme, Liz, Tim, Annie & I were joined today by Annie's friend, Annie J.

The day started sunny and warmer than yesterday with great boot top to knee deep powder in the trees between Center and Rinkan.

Graeme was in full flow today lapping Center, with forays in the powder.

After elevenses at King Bell we were joined by Annie J's mother Louisa, Mary Jeanne H, and her daughter Mary H

Tim was flying in the powder and launching any bumps he saw. Pretty impressive seeing as he's got one arm in a cast (broken bone in his hand) and he's skiing with one pole

And this was the day that Liz trusted her skills and just let her skis run free in the powder

Mary H soon got the hang of the powder, transitioning from the gliding wedge to parallel.

She was also wearing what has to be one of the coolest ski jackets on Hokkaido

Annie J ripping it up

Annie W flying through the powder

The girls taking a well earned rest

A fabulous day on snow.

And with the snow coming down it'll be more of the same tomorrow.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I was checking out out the various webcams and live streams about an hour ago and I can honestly say I've never seen falling so thick before...
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
DAY 51 : FRIDAY 04 JANUARY 2013

15 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

As of today 700 cm (276") has fallen at MQ

The top lifts were still closed due to high winds, so John, Graeme, Liz, Tim, Annie & I drove round to Niseko Annupuri to ski John's favourite area of the Niseko United.

The weather was very changeable throughout the day, going from bluebird to driving snow to gusting winds and back again in minutes.

John took a couple of runs to get used to the limited visibility and mixed snow conditions under his skis - groomed, crud, powder - and when he was more patient at the start of the turn he was off.

Graeme joined Liz in the powder and the trees for the first time, and over the buffet lunch admitted that he even enjoyed it!

Tim, Annie and I lapped the trees skiers right of Paradise, dropped under the quad, and headed out through Gate 7 where we found the best turns of the day.

Both have improved tremendously this week and are starting to feel very comfortable all over the mountain in all conditions.

Tim skiing the Gate 7 terrain at Annupuri

And the one that got away. Sorry, next time Tim.

snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Mike, what age and ski ability would you say kids need before coming out to ski Japan ???
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hardest part of a Japan trip is the flight time.

But if they've done a Western Canada trip then not that much different.

To cover all the bases, a 7-10 day trip on Hokkaido combined with 2-3 days in Tokyo is the minimum time frame in my opinion.

I would do Tokyo on the front end.

Time to get over the flight, trip to Disneyland Tokyo, and then a short flight to Narnia snowHead

The groomed skiing itn this area is suitable for all ages and all abilities.

And with the snow conditions to allow powder skiing on and off the groomed and in the trees on a green run pitch it's the perfect environment to learn.

That was the long answer.

Short answer, book the holiday
Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mike Pow, cheers!! They've flown to oz to see grandparents so that's not an issue!!

Youngest is 9, hoping to get her parallel this year, so maybe Narnia in the next few years Smile
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Domo, as they say in these parts.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
DAY 52 : SATURDAY 05 JANUARY 2013

21 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

What a fantastic last day of this session with the Wikmans and John Pidgeon.

Spent the first part of the morning skiing boot top powder on the Family run in Niseko Hirafu with John.

He found his feet after the second run and then proceeded to let his skis go.

No pictures unfortunately as it was snowing too heavily, but the best I've seen him ski.

Family Ticket Office at Niseko Hirafu

Liz and Annie joined us for hot chocolate and coffee at The Vale, and when John called it quits for the day after three more runs Liz, Annie & I made our way over to Hanazono to meet Graeme and Tim for lunch.

On the way down to Hanazono 308 we dropped off Silver Dream to find some powder

Annie working it off Silver Dream at Niseko Hanazono

Liz getting knee deep off Silver Dream at Niseko Hanazono

Then lower down we hit the trees

Annie

Liz

On our way back to Hirafu we dropped in to Waterfall and skied the best snow of the day.

And the girls skied their best turns of their holiday.

So far!

Annie in Waterfall

Liz in Waterfall

We took one ride on the Hirafu gondola and then cruised home via Onsenzawa

Liz cruising the Onsenzawa ridge at day's end

Annie cruising the Onsenzawa ridge at day's end

Mother and daughter back at base after a day to remember

And to cap it off Mt Yotei put on a show

snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Wow!!! ^ ^ ^
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Nice photos in the last update Mike, even higher than your usual standard! Just three weeks until I get to Niseko Happy
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks Pedantica.

Cheers rob@rar. The yellow orb in the sky makes a massive difference.

We don't get to see it much but it makes for pics with more texture and contrast.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DAY 53 : SUNDAY 06 JANUARY 2013

27 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

The Lovelocks and Craig rolled in to town yesterday evening for three weeks of Hokkaido powder.

It was great to see Neil, Ria, Alex, Hayden and Craig and we caught up over cocktails at Maki Lounge and pizza delivered from Niseko Pizza downstairs.

For their first week they're staying at J-Sekka in Hirafu, followed by a week in Rusutsu and a week at Kiroro.

All their arrangements are being taken care of by Ian MacKenzie of Niseko WOW

http://niseko-wow.com/

Day 1 of the trip was spent at Niseko Hanazono.

With no night skiing and no accommodation base the overnight snow blanketed the pistes and we were making our first turns before the lifts in the other areas of Niseko United were loading.

Two laps of knee deep powder on the Setsuzoku and Stairway to Heaven pistes and we were all in the groove and ready to venture into the trees and ungroomed slopes.

Either side of an early lunch we skied Silver Dream, Ten Turns, Blueberry Fields and Legend of Shinya and a lot in between.

It's said that a picture is worth a thousand words.

Here's the first few chapters of War & Peace.

Chapter 1 - The trees beside Setsuzoku

Neil

Alex

Ria

Craig

Chapter 2 - Upper Silver Dream

Alex

Hayden

Neil

Chapter 3 - Lower Silver Dream

Alex

Ria

Hayden

Neil

Craig

Chapter 4 - Run Silent, Run Deep

Alex tall, relaxed and patient in Ten Turns

Chapter 5 - Ten Turns

Ria

Hayden

Alex

Neil

Chapter 6 - The Legend of Shinya

Neil

It was very satisfying to see Neil, Ria, Alex, Hayden and Craig hit the ground running and pick up where they left off last winter.

By day's end all were skiing better than they were at the end of their last holiday.

With massive grins on their faces.

Hokkaido powder + knowing where to ski + the right skis under your feet = a day for the ages

It didn't stop snowing until 3 pm and with high winds higher up the mountain keeping the crowds in Niseko Hirafu, this was by far the best snow I've skied at Hanazono.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Wed 9-01-13 13:05; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
more great pics as usual!! How old are the kids in your recent pics?? Trying to show my kids what they are missing out on Smile Mine are currently 9 and 12
latest report
Great pics again Mike Pow snowHead

13 days until my first turns there this season! Cannot wait! snowHead
snow report
Hmm, now have to ignore Touchguru, and rob@rar, in 2 weeks time....
snow conditions
Seem like few of us are heading there.. 13 days as well for me! Anyone care to give some info on places to head for the pow..
snow report
Timmaah, head up Wink

There's plenty to go around !!

check the gates for out of bounds if

a)you don't mind a hike - map at bottom of this link http://www.niseko.ne.jp/en/rules/index.html
b) you have peeps, probe, shovel and know how to use them
c) your not on your own

and worth paying and attending the lecture to get access here http://www.niseko-village.com/en/winter/mizunonosawa.html
snow report
Mike Pow, glad i am not there mike...looks really dull...i mean way too much powder...much prefer the rolling hills and wet damp gloom of Aberdare...yep give me that any day over no ski-ing at all rolling eyes rolling eyes Laughing Laughing
latest report
kitenski wrote:
more great pics as usual!! How old are the kids in your recent pics?? Trying to show my kids what they are missing out on Smile Mine are currently 9 and 12

Thanks.

Youngest was 9 and oldest was 15.

Alex is a young lady of 16.
snow report
Thanks Touchguru and Timmaah.

Great info from kitenski and you don't have to travel beyond the resort boundaries to get the goods.

With the exception of Ten Turns which was accessed by Gate 9 Waterfall, Monday's pics were taken inbounds within spitting distance of the groomed runs.
snow report
harrymac wrote:
Mike Pow, glad i am not there mike...looks really dull...i mean way too much powder...much prefer the rolling hills and wet damp gloom of Aberdare...yep give me that any day over no ski-ing at all rolling eyes rolling eyes Laughing Laughing

Cheers harrymac.

Hope you get the goods in Les Contamines.
snow conditions
kitenski, cheers, tick all those three. The lecture actually sounds pretty interesting, even if it is £20! But.. it does seem like its access for the season, which is good.

The gates thing always confused me a little.. I'll stop myself asking a stupid question and just wait and see Very Happy
snow conditions
Timmaah, mizuno no sawa is great. Yeah, it's £20 but the numbers are limited so generally good. Other tips...

If you're staying in Hirafu try getting the free bus to Niseko Village or Hanazono for first lift on powder days as you'll beat the crowds trying to get there from Hirafu. In Niseko Village head up the gondola, ski down to the rope tow and head up to the old gondola station. From there drop into superstition and keep following the fall line back to the bottom. Go back up and repeat or take the wonderland chair and hit snorkel if it's open. In Hanazono, take the Hanazono 1 chair and go straight into Strawberry Fields.

And - bearing in mind what kitenski says = outside the gates just don't up skiing to Moiwa by mistake...
ski holidays
Hi Snowheads. I am heading to Niseko for 7 days. First day on the hill will be the 11th. Any on the ground snow forecasts. I have been cruising a load of sites and they all vary (as per normal). I think though the sea snow conveyor is on it is possibly not going to be as snowy next week as it has been the last 5 days. Any enlightenment is welcome.

Another question = is it as busy next week as the New Year period?

Thanks for any info. NehNeh
snow conditions
+ 1 to thebongolian's advice.

Snow forecast for the next 6 days snorkyvandyke

http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Niseko/6day/mid

This site always underestimates.

For example they called for 1 cm this afternoon and 1 cm this evening.

We've had 6 cm already and it's snowing hard as I type.

Hirafu is fairly busy at the moment. Hanazono and Annupuri have been quiet the past 3 days.
snow report
I always look at snowforecast.com. It is a weather vane but I don't rely on it too much. Elsewhere on the snowheads weather outlook thread it has been lauded as being reliable. I don't think it is so reliable. Trend wise maybe but not very accurate. I look at a bunch of other sources but they diverge. It can get confusing.

I have, as you state, observed this last three weeks that the snow on the ground at Niseko is more than predicted by snowforecast.com. It looks to be less snowy than last week. Is that the trend? Puzzled Any enlightenment???
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snow-forecast.com has been spot on with weather trends and freezing levels so far this winter.

It has underestimated snowfall.

If it snows a lot then skiing powder will be obvious.

If it doesn't then there is still plenty of powder but you may have to tag along with / pay someone to find it.
ski holidays
How long are you guys above out there for? I rock in on the 10th of Feb, staying through till the 23rd.
ski holidays
Head out start of Feb to visit Tokyo for few days.

thebongolian, thanks! Will be staying at Annupuri, so guessing same caveats regarding getting a bus over there apply?
snow report
Mike Pow, Yep Mike looking good now for a little fresh to sweetening things up..!! Im not greedy il be happy with a meter or so... rolling eyes Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
harrymac wrote:
Mike Pow, Yep Mike looking good now for a little fresh to sweetening things up..!! Im not greedy il be happy with a meter or so... rolling eyes Laughing Laughing

Great to hear. Enjoy snowHead
snow report
Timmaah, probably quite tricky to get a bus to Hanazono from Annupuri in time but Niseko Village definitely doable. There's also generally nice powder in Annupuri if you drop off paradise through the trees parallel but uphill to merchen. Seems to take a while to get tracked out. And if you in Annapuri, Moiwa is nearby and much quieter and cheaper than the main mountain. Definitely worth a day or two and if you know what you are doing in the backcountry you can ski back to Annapuri from there.
snow conditions
Back in Hokkaido after the winter break. Heading down for a Rusutsu/Niseko combo this coming long weekend. Might see you down there!
ski holidays
+1 to thebongolian's advice again.

Will be teaching in Rusutsu on Saturday MagSeven. Say hi if you hear me Wink
snow report
snorkyvandyke wrote:
I always look at snowforecast.com. It is a weather vane but I don't rely on it too much. Elsewhere on the snowheads weather outlook thread it has been lauded as being reliable. I don't think it is so reliable. Trend wise maybe but not very accurate. I look at a bunch of other sources but they diverge. It can get confusing.

I have, as you state, observed this last three weeks that the snow on the ground at Niseko is more than predicted by snowforecast.com. It looks to be less snowy than last week. Is that the trend? Puzzled Any enlightenment???

2 cm forecast in the past 24 hrs, we got 8 cm at village level.

3 cm forecast for today (09 January), we've had 14 cm so far.

Don't sweat it Smile
snow report
DAY 54 : MONDAY 07 JANUARY 2013

16 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

After such a great day yesterday we returned to Niseko Hanazono for more of the same.

The snow wasn't as good, but that's like saying Paradise is not as good as Utopia!

No lift lines and plenty of untracked lines all over Hanazono all day.

The face shots weren't as plentiful, but they were still there to be found.

Craig in the trees beside Setsuzoku

Hayden in the trees beside Setsuzoku

Ria in the trees beside Setsuzoku

Then the sun came out and we headed to Silver Dream

Alex enjoying the unrivalled combo of sunshine and powder off Silver Dream

Craig

Ria

Neil

Craig off lower Silver Dream

Alex off lower Silver Dream

Neil, Hayden, Alex, Ria and Craig in the trees above Silver Dream

We lost the light, but found light, dry snow in 10 Turns

Craig

Hayden

Neil

Ian MacKenzie joined us today and got this double wave in 10 Turns

For dinner we went to Kakashi near the Hirafu gondola.

A really good izakaya with delicious food and a warm welcome

latest report
meh wrote:
How long are you guys above out there for? I rock in on the 10th of Feb, staying through till the 23rd.

I'll be there 7-13 Feb and staying in Hirafu. This is a solo trip for me so it'd be great to meet up with some fellow Snowheads while there...
snow conditions
Ordinary_Skiier, we overlap by a few days so that would be excellent, also staying in Hirafu.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy