Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tranceivers

Poster: A snowHead
Looks like my main ski buddy will be doing lots of off piste this season!! So that's a good opportunity for me to learn too.

question is, are there any reasonable quality but not bank breaking transponders out there? My buddy has just bought a 'kit' but its a bit expensive for me (I'm a broke ski bum Sad ).

I will have the chance to 'borrow' or hire one from one of the schools in La Plagne but I'm looking for a guide on reasonable quality/not too expensive!! if that's possible Puzzled
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Unfortunately the transceivers are all quite expensive. Even collapsible shovels and probes are more expensive than they should be. Captive market. And then you need a ruck-sack to hold them if you don't have one already. How much did your buddy pay?
My transceiver is a Tracker and is fairly simple to use, but it is a few years old and I'm not up to date on what is best now, or best-value.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Have PMed you chaletgirl,
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
snowball wrote:
Unfortunately the transceivers are all quite expensive. Even collapsible shovels and probes are more expensive than they should be. Captive market. And then you need a ruck-sack to hold them if you don't have one already. How much did your buddy pay?
My transceiver is a Tracker and is fairly simple to use, but it is a few years old and I'm not up to date on what is best now, or best-value.

Thanx for that - I've been looking on ebay and am quit stunned at the costs of some of the kit. I kind of understand for the tranceivers as they are electronic and I guess you pay a premium for that kind of lifesaving kit. But a collapsible shovel and pointy thing??!!

I think he paid £325 or £345 for the whole lot. He was very happy - the tranceiver was a fairly new Ortovox (signal sent it either of two directions!).

I'll be saving for a while and see what happens - and what I can get Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
davkt wrote:
Have PMed you chaletgirl,

Thank you Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
chaletgirl, That price is too much. If it were in dollars rather than pounds, then perhaps. I think you should be able to do it for about £250 - most of that for the transceiver - if you shop around.

Edit: See here: http://www.backcountryaccess.com/product/tracker-dts/ or look on Amazon or ebay.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We did some training yesterday and Mammut came out tops, ease of use and great for multiple bodies as you could block one person once you'd found them and set about finding the next. Mammut Element BARRYVOX Avalanche transceiver beacon, 2012 about £250
And no, I don't work for them, till yesterday I'd never even used one Smile
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
robapplegate, Multiply burials??? .. Ok in theory. Find one in XX feet of snow when it is tonking down... white out, you're freezing, panicking, - not sure about your own life... Mmm the number of people I see giving up in the 'avalanche parks' because it's a 'difficult climb', or they can't get their probe through the crud. In more pratical situations.. how to dig.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
chaletgirl,

This is the best deal I've seen:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360482422541?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

However you may be charged Import Duty & VAT which the post office collects when it enters the UK.

A different make of transceiver sold on Ebay recently for £110.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
welshflyer, presumably the latter was second hand.

chaletgirl, most of the bargains I have noticed have been from the USA (ie outside the EEC).
I just checked and avalanche transceivers are duty free, but you might be charged 20% VAT if they notice. (I wasn't charged anything on skis I had sent to me on Ebay from the USA, but perhaps I was lucky). Plus postage of course.
On that basis it looks to me that it would still be worth while going this route.
My guess of £250 might be a bit low so far (though it might be possible) but shouldn't be more than £290 at the most for the 3 (new) items, I would have thought.
Be careful about second hand transceivers. You want to be sure it will not only work OK now, but have a long life ahead.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Tue 6-11-12 14:49; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
www.blue-tomato.com start from €164.95 for a Pieps Set Light Freeride, shovel and probe. Eu based.

Having played with a couple last weekend, all transceivers are not equal and the Mammut Pulse had superior range and location than my BCA Tracker.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
...and then there's airbags. I thought about getting one until I saw the price. I'm afraid that at £450+, that particular piece of equipment will have to wait
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Boardban, that IS cheap.
Not got an airbag yet but they are lighter than when I looked, years ago.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snowball wrote:
welshflyer, presumably the latter was second hand.

chaletgirl, most of the bargains I have noticed have been from the USA (ie outside the EEC).
I just checked and avalanche transceivers are duty free, but you might be charged 20% VAT if they notice. (I wasn't charged anything on skis I had sent to me on Ebay from the USA, but perhaps I was lucky). Plus postage of course.
On that basis it looks to me that it would still be worth while going this route.
My guess of £250 might be a bit low so far (though it might be possible) but shouldn't be more than £290 at the most for the 3 (new) items, I would have thought.
Be careful about second hand transceivers. You want to be sure it will not only work OK now, but have a long life ahead.

Thank you for the info. I've saved your link and the BlueTomato link from BoardBan. And of course I have this thread to refer to!!

I'll have a look at whats available and when I think I have the money, I'll probably come back and confirm I'm getting something decent Smile

xx
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If you send a malfunctioning transceiver back to the makers they will replace or rectify it - but I'm not sure if this is true if you got it second hand (?)
snow conditions
snowball wrote:
Boardban, that IS cheap.
Not got an airbag yet but they are lighter than when I looked, years ago.

I believe its single antenna though, hence so cheap.
snow report
Personally I really rate the Ortovox kit. The 3+ is a very effective transceiver. The 240 Economic, is a solid probe. And finally the Kodiak is a brilliant shovel. Don't go cheap on safety kit would be my honest advice - you'll only regret it. Buy stuff that works ! Worth looking at the Facewest website as they often have some deals on there. Stay safe folks.....
latest report
Transceivers are expensive but not extortionate. You can get the MkI BCA Tracker for £165
http://www.v12outdoor.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=5383

You should be able to pick up a decent shovel for about £40 (e.g. Black Diamond Transfer) and a probe for about £30 (BD make good probes too) so that's about £230 all-in for good quality stuff from respected brands - so you won't be worrying that you've skimped on your safety kit. Just make sure you buy the lot before going off-piste as any individual piece of kit is useless without the other two. Also make sure you get a metal shovel rather than one with a plastic blade.
HTH
latest report
aly wrote:
Also make sure you get a metal shovel rather than one with a plastic blade.
HTH

Yes, if you have ever crossed an avalanche field, you know that stuff is quite hard.
snow conditions
Looking at the BCA range there seems to be 3 available. Tracker 2, most recent model 3 antenna and most expensive
then two cheaper ones both badged as Tracker DTS

Apart from the harness/pouch system and the actual shape of the thing are they the functionally the same in terms of performance and ease of use??

Cheers

Phil
snow conditions
The Tracker 2 has three antennas. I used the first generation (can't remember which of those pictured it was, but it looked something like those) back when that came out. The Tracker 2 I've used for the last two seasons and those are currently my favourite. They're functionally the same in that they find buried transceivers, but they are obviously different in lots of ways. Does that matter... that's your choice. They all transmit.

I've also used various Ortovox digital transceivers and none of them did I like - they were all much too slow in my view. I've not used the latest Ortovox yet, but after years of analog domination they really lost the plot for a few years at least.

I hadn't realized that the Tracker 3 was here. They look very pretty
snow report
I saw the Ortovox 3+ in use today, although only in practice on a grassy slope. It seemed good and easy to use. Two people who had never used a transceiver before got on OK with it.
snow report
Avalanche Academy wrote:
Don't go cheap on safety kit would be my honest advice - you'll only regret it. Buy stuff that works !

Best advice on the thread.

And get some training in how to use it.

chaletgirl - if you post which resort you're going to be in then you might find a friendly snowHead who will help you learn how to use your transceiver.
latest report
Thanx again everyone.

I'll be in La Plagne for the whole season. I don't intend to go off piste without a guide to start with - need to learn how to ski in the soft fluffy stuff before I get all brave! If I go with one of the guides I know, they'll let me borrow/hire the equipment I need until I source something I can afford.

If I did go off piste I would probably be with a good mate or one of the guys i know from the last two seasons, so two people that are much more experienced than me.

Also - I know that the resort (or the ski schools?) offer avalanche training regularly. We get offered training at the beginning of the season too Smile

The safety/money side is something I'm very aware of as my other hobby is being stupid on motorbikes - on the road and on track Smile

But, all advice much appreciated
snow conditions
Of course the great thing about having transceiver, shovel and probe is being able to rescue others (strangers) if you are first on the scene - even if on a piste next to the off piste avalanche
ski holidays
qwertyuiop7, Looking at the images, I'd go with the second one. Your buddy's FAR closer, a mere 2.7m away compared to 45m Laughing
ski holidays
Kevin Stephens, ,
Quote:

Of course the great thing about having transceiver, shovel and probe is being able to rescue others (strangers) if you are first on the scene - even if on a piste next to the off piste avalanche

Totally. I had planned to redo my first aid this summer but never got to it but I guess you don't forget Very Happy

feef
Quote:
Looking at the images, I'd go with the second one. Your buddy's FAR closer, a mere 2.7m away compared to 45m

Proper LOL!!!
ski holidays
Check out Decathlon. The Stockport branch has Pieps Freeride at £119 and Arva Evolution 3 at £149 and I think they are online aswell. I understand that both are fairly basic but do a job. From the reviews I was checking out recently the next best 'budget' transceiver would be the BCA Tracker. They are doing various Ortovox probes and shovels starting at around the 20 quid mark. Got my shovel and probe last year when on special offer for less than 30 quid the pair.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
^^ Again, the Pieps Freeride is a single antenna beacon, outdated, and should probably be avoided - hence the cheapness. The DSP/DSP Tour are good options from Pieps, but more expensive.
snow report
Tip, buy the best, then swap it with your mate.
snow report
Ortovox 3+ at £209. Would consider getting the whole kit thing as per Avalanche Academy's advice. I would advise against a 2 antenna beacon and I would not touch a 1 antenna beacon unless willing to get to a professional standard with the thing.

See:

http://www.peglers.co.uk/ortovox-3/

Incidently I did Avalanche Academy's day course last year as a refresher and it was probably the best 80 quid I've spent on any training ever.
ski holidays
Thanx again guys. There is a Decathlon not too far (I doubt I'll be driving!!) from the resort.

Think I'll go for the hardware and save up for the electronics. Will borrow/hire from the schools for now I think, then I know I have a good piece of kit in case needed.

Having read the avalanche story (Canada?) I feel that I would prefer to save for the best I can - and I already know I can use one from the school if I am going out and would need to take one (I have only skied on piste so far!!)

Cheers x
snow report
Decathlon is now doing the EVO 3+ for £149. Has good review in wildsnow.
snow conditions
BertieG wrote:
Decathlon is now doing the EVO 3+ for £149. Has good review in wildsnow.

oooo - Hopefully they'll have the same deal at Albertville!! Very Happy
snow report
chaletgirl, you don't need "the best" top of the range transceiver but you need to know how to operate the one that you have. Having equipment without knowing how to use it is pointless. First aid is good but you need to train avalanche response too. And how to avoid avalanches and minimise exposure. This is more important than to have expensive transceiever with a programmed multiple burial function. The presumption is that multiple burial will be avoided. So hire whatever and get a training. When hiring for real-life skiing get something you can get familiar with very quickly, not something that has many fancy functions.
ski holidays
never summer wrote:
chaletgirl, you don't need "the best" top of the range transceiver but you need to know how to operate the one that you have. Having equipment without knowing how to use it is pointless. First aid is good but you need to train avalanche response too. And how to avoid avalanches and minimise exposure. This is more important than to have expensive transceiever with a programmed multiple burial function. The presumption is that multiple burial will be avoided. So hire whatever and get a training. When hiring for real-life skiing get something you can get familiar with very quickly, not something that has many fancy functions.

Initially I'll only ski off piste with a guide/instructor - who runs one of the schools in La Plagne and would teach me the use of the transceiver prior to setting off. After that, I'd hire/borrow the same model as he's taught me to use Smile

There are also regular courses in La Plagne for Avalanche Rescue and use of equipment. We usually get offered this just before the resort opens, so I will be going this year (had no plans for off piste previously but things have changed this year!!)

As for minimising exposure - I hope to learn a fair bit from the same guy. And to be fair, I suspect he'd be happy for me to ring him for advice any morning we thought we might go out (if not with one of his guides)

Whilst I do like the thrill of a huge adrenalin rush, I also rate self preservation pretty high up on the list amongst thrill seeking! I want to come home at the end of the season so I can get sorted to do another one Very Happy Very Happy

But I really do appreciate the advice - I don't mean my response to sound off - just explaining what I plan to do so that if I am wrong, you guys can tell me (I am aware I can sound a bit 'in yr face' when writing Sad sorry!!)

xxx
latest report
You could also consider the Ortovox Zoom. They're a new budget offering from Ortovox, who are trying hard to reclaim their previous dominance of the transceiver market. It's 3 antenna, very stripped down and simple (a good thing IMO), set to retail at under £200. Only problem is it won't be in the UK until early December.

I wouldn't use a 2 antenna transceiver. We deliberately took the decision not to stock the DTS because I didn't want to sell anything I wouldn't be happy using myself.

Also, totally agree with the comments on plastic shovels. Get a metal one- 6061 T6 aluminium is best.

The Tracker 3 isn't out yet. We don't know what the launch date will be, apparently BCA are still optimising it.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sat 22-12-12 16:33; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
http://www.absolute-snow.co.uk

These guys are reasonably priced and if you do a google search there is usually a ten pound voucher kicking about somewhere. Despite being annoyingly expensive it isn't a piece of kit that you want to cheap out on so make sure you do a bit of research and get a good, simple to use transciever. Smile
snow report
evski wrote:

Also, totally agree with the comments on plastic shovels. Get a metal one- 6061 T6 aluminium is best.

Yes, if you have ever skied over avalanche debris you will know how hard it is: it compacts on impact. You need metal not just for strength but also the sharper edge.
snow report
^ what snowball says.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy