Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Insurance company insists on helmet use

Poster: A snowHead
Essential Travel Insurance is insisting that its policyholders where a helmet when skiing or boarding. More info at PlanetSki. First descent down a slippery slope?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I seem to recall they ran a few surveys this summer about peoples opinions about wearing helmets and the relationship between wearing a helmet and insurance.

I wonder if the survey results back up what they were originally thinking?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Wonder how long it is before the first claim against them citing those stats about head injuries increasing with helmet wear? The only ones I see benefiting to any real extent from this are lawyers.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
rob@rar, Hmm, so when one of their policyholders falls and has a non head related injury such as a broken wrist will they reject the claim if the policyholder wasn't wearing a helmet?

(Edited to make clear I was considering the case of the policyholder not wearing a helmet when the accident happened).

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sun 4-11-12 14:12; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
This doesn't seem that unreasonable to me. They think they can offer a more competitive premium by reducing the number/severity of accidents they have to pay for; you can choose to go with somebody else willing to let you pay them extra to cover the extra risk.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sun 4-11-12 19:33; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Absolute stupidity. Surely people will jsut go elsewhere to insure themselves?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ricklovesthepowder, Why? I always wear a helmet - and if that gets me a lower premium due to statistically smaller risk it seems good to me.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
But will this result in lower premiums?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Feast wrote:
But will this result in lower premiums?

More likely higher premiums for those who don't wear helmets.

snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
If they don't offer lower premiums (all else being equal) then they'll lose customers, and so almost certainly change their mind.

If all the insurers switched to requiring helmets without lowering the premiums to reflect the change in risk, it would give an incentive for somebody to undercut them all.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

it would give an incentive for somebody to undercut them all

only in the unlikely event that all the others insurers had been mistaken in their calculation of the risk.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
They seem from the website to require you to wear a helmet when participating in any winter sport and included in their definition are snow shoeing, ice skating, langlauf, (non competitive) dog sledding, and being in a sledge drawn by a horse or reindeer.

This is the problem with poorly defined blanket requirements, it just creates another way for the insurance industry to get out of paying up. And will result in money conscious Brits wearing their helmets in the hot tub.

It would be much more principled for them to run their campaign, tie up with their partners and promote research but without tying it into premium reduction.

Interesting piece in yesterday's Guardian on why not to bother with travel insurance http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2012/nov/02/never-get-travel-insurance?intcmp=239 in the EHIC zone.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Steve Sparks wrote:
Interesting piece in yesterday's Guardian on why not to bother with travel insurance http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2012/nov/02/never-get-travel-insurance?intcmp=239 in the EHIC zone.
Guess the Guardian journo never goes skiing.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Wait Wait, ok I have my popcorn resume this is going to be comedy GOLD!!!! Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
RobinS, good for you, but they should just offer a reduced premium if you wear a helmet rather than say they won't insure people who don't wear one.
snow conditions
Quote:

they should just offer a reduced premium if you wear a helmet rather than say they won't insure people who don't wear one.

why should they? They're running a business in a competitive market; they might just decide they will make more money from people who do wear helmets. They might be wrong, of course, but their whole business relies on such calculations.
ski holidays
pam w, but surely they would make more money to offer a premium anyway to those not wanting to wear one? The helmet debate has gone on for far to long and has become tiresome.
snow report
Ricklovesthepowder, once the non-helmet-wearers aren't being subsidised, their premiums will be uncompetitive - so why would the insurer bother trying to sell to that market?
ski holidays
RobinS, what statistical link, reference please.
ski holidays
Quote:

but surely they would make more money to offer a premium anyway to those not wanting to wear one?

they presumably don't think so. There are other insurance companies who offer cover only to certain groups - e.g. those who offer car insurance cover to over-50s only. If you go to SAGA and say "well I'm only 34 but I don't mind paying a bit extra because my age-group has more accidents than the over 50s" I imagine they'd tell you to get lost.
snow report
Here's another useless fact. Almost every adult that I ski with in Scotland is uninsured and wears a helmet, but almost every adult that I ski with in the Alps is insured and doesn't.

The skiers in the two groups are quite different though.
ski holidays
finestgreen, I don't think this is an underwriting, risk book, led strategy i believe this is a marketing strategy; the same as insurance companies mentioned above. Join our club because you wear a helmet, because you wear a helmet we think you are a sensible sort and we'll offer you a keener price. The price may not be better at all its the perception and the positive reinforcement that you are doing the right thing or in the case of car insurance a good driver. The risk is immaterial as that can be managed through the premium and underwriting criteria (small print).

If we take at face value the other peer review research linked to elsewhere today (although its only a press release summary so useless), with only 1 in 5 accidents involved a head injury (very loose term and small percentage, should we have a look at the 80%) wearing a helmet is hardly going to reduce your premium significantly.
ski holidays
Ricklovesthepowder wrote:
The helmet debate has gone on for far to long and has become tiresome.

If you don't like the thread why do you read/comment on them?

Toofy Grin Madeye-Smiley snowHead
snow report
"with only 1 in 5 accidents involved a head injury (very loose term and small percentage, should we have a look at the 80%) wearing a helmet is hardly going to reduce your premium significantly."

It's not the frequency of head injuries versus other types of claim, but how much they pay out on head injury claims versus other types of injury. Presumably the insurer in question believes in the long term they will pay out less.
ski holidays
I'm with the guy in the Guardian. That's the first non-hysterical article I've ever read on the subject.

There's some case history from cycling of bad car drivers trying to reduce their liability when they cause head injuries to cyclists which could possibly have been reduced by wearing a helmet:
http://www.lyonsdavidson.co.uk/news/152/cycle-helmets-safety-and-the-legal-standpoint
In summary, as the collisions which cause these types of injury are at over 12mph, and helmets are useless over that speed, the drivers have not yet succeeded in squirming out of any of their responsibility.

Of course if you want to actually reduce road-traffic head injuries, the best thing would be for the car drivers and passengers to wear helmets.

Snow sports helmets are a little different, but the maximum effective speed is only a little higher and easily exceeded by novices. So the next logical step on the slippery slope would be the insurance company
declining to cover you if your mobile phone shows you exceeded that speed.
snow report
Well, according to www.ski-injury.com, run by a guy who looks closely at all this (well worth having a good read of the site), the idea that 20% of accidents involved a head injury, is baloney. The graph below shows head/face and I suspect a lot of them are face:

We all ski or board here and we all know people who have had injuries. I think, if 1:5 of 'em were having head injuries, we'd be talking about it as much as ACLs, breaks etc.
ski holidays
Bode Swiller,
Those statistics are completely compatible with 1:5 accidents involve the head, there may be many accidents with more than one injury.
(Though I am a bit of a sceptic on much of the helmet research)
snow report
...and besides not every injury will cost your travel insurer the same.

Fair point though, maybe it is just a marketing strategy. But what does it matter either way? They're entitled to offer to insure whoever they want for whatever cost they want. They're not doing anything unreasonable or sneaky. You're perfectly free to vote with your wallet.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
T Bar wrote:
Bode Swiller,
Those statistics are completely compatible with 1:5 accidents involve the head...

I guess you could argue that 100% of accidents involve the head. Anyway, I have no idea how you can magically make 13.7% of "head/face" injuries become 20% "involve the head".

Based on all the evidence I've seen, if you want to drastically reduce serious head injuries, you'd simply insist that people ski above the tree line.
snow report
Bode Swiller,
If you have an accident and bash your knee and head 50 % of the injuries in the sample are to the head but 100% of the accident sampled had a head injury involved.
snow report
Don't have a problem with the Guardian guy or the principle of self insurance - 3rd party liability though is something to think about if you do a sport where you might hurt people.

Equally - don't have a problem with an insurer narrowing its pool of cover. Only when insurers effectively act as a cartel in imposing standard terms does it become a problem. We've seen this in the creeping reduction in off-piste cover (possibly because a lot of the underwriters for "branded" policies are the same).

Anyone know if motor insurance will pay out if you're not wearing a seatbelt?
latest report
T Bar, have you had a blow to the head?
latest report
fatbob wrote:
Don't have a problem with the Guardian guy or the principle of self insurance
Wish I could afford to self insure for the potential cost of a heli rescue. If I didn't have an annual policy I don't think I'd bother with travel insurance for things like a weekend trip to Paris, but for skiing (or any activity holiday where there is a higher risk of accident and subsequent recovery costs) I think it's prudent to have some kind of policy in place. I've just renewed my Carte Neige policy and it cost €45 - that's not a lot of money for considerable peace of mind.
snow conditions
Whilst this all seems a sensible thing to do... I am just not sure how it can logically work...

I snowboard and always vowed that as soon as I travelled fast enough to hurt myself I would wear a helmet... I have had several big falls over the last few years form pushing myself, and I can assure anyone that doesn't wear a helmet that I was pretty glad I had one on...

However, that is 'my' choice and you regularly see Pros or just folk hooning it around without lids on... 'Their' choice... My moto is that if I am not falling over, I am not pushing myself enough...!!!! (There are some days when I don't push myself before folks start banging on about 'enjoying the sport' Smile )

I cannot stand this prescriptive society that we have become... Where folk are not allowed to be responsible for their own choices. On another note, how is an insurance company going to know if a helmet was worn or not...? And then there is the point that Alastair Pinkbrings up...

Leave it as it is...
snow conditions
Wondered if there was some commercial deal between insurer and helmet mfr. Be a bit pointless now that helmet use must be well in excess of 80-90% now? Or at least certainly appears that the silly hat brigade are almost extinct compared to helmet wearers. Next they'll be writing in some clause about the helmet being no more than 3 years old or something, as the polystyrene degrades.
snow report
fatbob wrote:

There are quite a few that have in their Ts & Cs that they won't pay out if you are over the drink drive limit, and the police normally breathalyse everyone at the scene of an accident. Seems perfectly reasonable to me, you cause an accident because you were drunk, they pay out for the other party but you cannot claim for your car or injury because you did something fundamentally stupid.

On this issue, it seems fairly straightforward. Those of us who wear helmets are able to use this company, and might get a better deal as a result, those who don't will not be able to and have to go to the other insurance companies to get their cover. That might be cheaper, it might not. The insurance company is entitled to set out its stall, and you should always read the small print, so you either buy or you don't. If they lose a load of customers as a result of imposing this, I suspect they will stop doing it.

On the basis that a significant number of winter sports holiday makers are apparently not getting any kind of travel insurance, I think this is likely to be a long way from making a difference for many, just having cover that includes winter sports would be a big step forward.

I am in favour of companies that cater for me and target me as a customer. I am someone who always skis in a helmet, so all good if they can offer me a better deal for the same level of cover as a result. If they can't, I'd just carry on with the company I am with now. This is obviously marketing or the accountants looking for getout clauses, but I'm ok with it.

Interesting that my car insurance is expensive despite having more than 10 years no claims bonus because other men of my age who drive the mileage I do have fairly major accidents now and again, and if I could be differentiated from these higher risk drivers somehow then I'd be all for it. Of course, I don't expect those higher risk drivers to be in favour of that - I am currently keeping their premiums down by driving very sensibly, if they could be identified (through black box recorders and similar) then their premiums would go up and mine down. That would be nice. I see helmet use in a similar way - perhaps across the snowsports population it is an indicator of someone who has a lower risk threshold or is at least doing their best to mitigate risk, and if so I am happy to be in the low risk cheaper insurance camp.
latest report
I doubt they'd lose much custom. The average 1 week per year ski punter books via a major tour op. and probably has either no insurance at all or buys the bundled ski/holiday insurance, while the typical ski enthusiast probably already wears a helmet. So I call it some kind of marketing thing.
ski holidays
andy, it's nothing like 80-90%. But that's another matter. I'd quite like it to get to 100% and then we'll see that head injuries and death will still happen at the normal rate. According to the Karl Ettlinger research, 84% of skiers travel in excess of 19mph (excludes people in lessons and ski patrollers). That's way in excess of the speed needed to kill you with or without a lid if you hit say, a tree, head on... and lots of people especially in Norh America do just that each season.
snow report
Monium wrote:
I see helmet use in a similar way - perhaps across the snowsports population it is an indicator of someone who has a lower risk threshold or is at least doing their best to mitigate risk, and if so I am happy to be in the low risk cheaper insurance camp.

It's not a great idea to hit your head with or without a helmet. Mitigating risk is about mountaincraft.
snow report
fatbob wrote:

As far as I recall, in the days before "Clunk Click" became compulsory or the norm, the Courts DID deduct 25% off the damages for non-wearers of seat-belts. Not sure if that's still the case but you can kinda see the logical progression. Wonder if the same principal applies to cyclists injured in a collision with a car?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy