Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Foreign and Commonwealth Office advise 'Get fit for ski'

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
New research has found that a third of people risk serious injury on their first winter sports holiday because they are not sufficiently fit enough when they hit the slopes, according to the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO). To help holidaymakers stay safe on the slopes, the FCO and the Association of British Travel Agents (ABTA) have teamed up to produce a Winter Sports Checklist. ABTA has also produced a leaflet - 'How to have a safe and healthy holiday in the snow'.
...See: http://www.wired-gov.net/wg/wg-news-1.nsf/0/F3D390E865770A5D80257AA9003822FD?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Not exactly short and snappy are they? But I suppose even if only 10% of travellers get them (from where?) then they could help some.

The quote that I find staggering is that
ABTA research also found that a third of winter sports holidaymakers do not take out travel insurance that includes specific winter sports cover.

Since most TOs won't even let you book until you give them details of you travel insurance I find this rather hard to believe.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It's become a hardy annual this one, blooming in early November every year.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
It has been a while since i have used a to and seperate insrance but previously all it asked for was name of insurance company for travel insurance when I have booked no more deta than that, has it changed?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
under a new name, Agreed, but no-one has even come up with a real answer of how they come to that conclusion.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
What it doesn't say, is that about 75% of those leg breaks and muscle tears were probably caused by slipping down steps while staggering about in ski-boots after a few too many over-priced, rip-off French beers Wink
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
FCO = Facile and Clearly Obvious? Cuts anyone?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Initially I thought the FCO been taken over by the Daily Mail but I note that this is not a .gov.uk site, and I cannot find any reference to the article on the FCO web pages. The closest I can find is http://www.fco.gov.uk/resources/en/pdf/travel-living-abroad/your-trip/winter-sports-checklist.pdf

Let us look at the statements in some detail

New research reveals that a third of people taking their first winter sports holiday risk serious injury because they are not sufficiently in shape when they hit the slopes.

OK, who did the research, for what purpose, who tested their shape and what is meant by "not sufficiently in shape"

The research also reveals that two out of five winter sports enthusiasts have injured themselves at least once, highlighting the importance of getting in shape and warming up properly before skiing or snowboarding. Of those who had injured themselves

This refers to winter sports enthusiasts not casual skiers. It gives no details as to how the survey was carried out etc.

31% suffered a significant injury such as a leg break or muscle tear
There is a significant difference between leg breaks and muscle tears. They must be more specific about what a significant injury is
73% of injuries were caused by a fall
20% of injuries were caused by colliding with someone else on the slope
38% of those surveyed also risked serious head injuries by not wearing a helmet
On a quick survey this morning I noticed that over 99% of pedestrians risked serious head injuries by not wearing a helmet while crossing the road. They should simply report that 68% of those surveyed wear a helmet at all times if this is what the statement means

The risk of winter sports injuries climbs steadily with age; 70% of those aged 65-74 have suffered some form of injury.

Pretty obvious really. After all by the time I was 20 I had had x accidents, by the time I reach 65 I will have had y accidents. y cannot be less than x.

I suspect the insurance data was gathered by finding the ratio of people who take out carte neige with their lift pass, but once again it cannot be checked or verified.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Apparently their insurance claim is from their "Consumer Trends 2012" report. It doesn't seem to be available on their website, but if there is anyone at the Earls Court ski show this week could they please pop along to the ABTA stand and get a copy?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
This is good advice.

Almost all Brits over 25 are fat.

Time to get down the gym. Shed some pounds.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Almost all Brits over 25 are fat.

Rather randomly for a Whitegold post, this is actually true. Laughing

Probably down to the skier's diet of cooked chalet breakfast, mid-morning hot choc, on-mountain lunch, afternoon tea and cake followed by three course evening meal. That's two days worth of food even on a weekend spent hiking for six hours a day. Shocked
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Lizzard, and you've left out the beer and wine. Smile
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Well I got in touch with ABTA and they refused to send me anything to justify their third of winter sports holidaymakers do not take out travel insurance that includes specific winter sports cover claim, so I'll be considering that a bit of marketing cr*p in future.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Travel against FCO advice and you have no insurance!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Lizzard,

Cheapskate. You only have a 3 course dinner?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy