Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where to go for Christmas?

Poster: A snowHead
Normally I go away for a pre Christmas warm up week, leaving it to the last minute, and then going where the snow is, but this year my other half has a fixed holiday over Christmas and wants to go away skiing.

So where have snowHeads been over Christmas that was good? Preferably we want somewhere with decent skiing (she's an early intermediate, me an advanced intermediate) and alpine charm.

My second question is, has anyone ever booked a late deal for Christmas week? If so was there much available, and at what end of the price spectrum. She's got a bonus to spend, and we'd like to do it in a bit of style, so does this mean that we have to book in advance? If so a snow sure resort needs to be added to the list of requirements.

Just to make life a little more difficult, I'm all Val d'Isered out at the moment, and we were in St Anton together last January so would prefer not to go there again.

Thanks for your help. Very Happy
snow report
 brian
brian
Kramer, I'd go to Zermatt. Can't get much more snow sure or stylish. IIRC you've been before ?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
brian, I've been, my other half hasn't, and I'm sure that she'd love it. Anyone got any experience in late booking for Zermatt at Christmas?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Kramer, No experience of late booking for Zermatt at christmas, since I booked mine back in May for Christmas. Can't wait, may see you there. wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Kramer, I stayed in Cervinia one Christmas. The snow was good, the slopes were quiet, and it was wonderfully sunny. Much better than being in the UK Cool . It was not in any way "cheap" though wink
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I don't think the TO's have learned the lesson of last season and during Christmas/New Year are providing non-7 day trips. I think they found these 9 or 5 day or whatever other bizarre length they came up with very hard to shift last year so you could get a late bargain.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Well we're hoping for a last minute booking for Christmas, but as a cheapie so style not necessary! I think there'll always be apartments or chalets available but the problem may be getting there - ie, no flights. We're thinking about driving to France but by the time we've added up the cost of snow chains, roof rack for skis, tolls, petrol, ferry/tunnel it may not be that cheap. I think we'll wait and see what's available - our other hols are quite expensive so a Christmas hol will be a real bonus.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
What do people think of Courchevel 1850 at Christmas? Any experience?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

What do people think of Courchevel 1850 at Christmas? Any experience

Fantastic - we've spent the last 3 christmases at 1650. Snow outside the windows.
A bizarre carnival of people dressed up mainly as small furry creatures surrounding a gigantic papier mache cow perambulates (accompanied by mcuh drum beating, cow-bell ringing and cries of 'la vache!' - explanations on a postcard please) around 1850 in the afternoon of christmas eve - wonderful torchlit descent by papa noel in a piste basher accompanied by all the ESF instructors in the evening. Don't get trampled in the stampede of children when he starts chucking sweets overboard! Fireworks. Then back home to wrap presents up.
All the lifts etc are open on Christmas day - most shops until lunchtime. Ski schools all running. So no need to be aware that it's Christmas at all. The place is comparatively empty (the French arrive en masse for new year).
See you there.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Kramer wrote:

Yes, six of the last eight Christmases in 1850. Snow has been at least OK often good, great atmosphere around the resort, quiet pistes, no lift queues to speak of, nice fireworks, arrival of Santa and other fesitivities. Everybody smiling, even the lifties!

Easy to blow a fortune on expensive hotels, or there are a few budget 'chalet-hotels' in the centre of the resort. Last time we did Christmas there we stayed in the Hotel Courcheneige. Unbeatable location for skiing, but not so good if you want to get to the resort centre for a bit of shopping/apres ski (it's a short ride on a shuttle bus, or car if you have one).
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Totally agree with poma, and rob@rar.org.uk, a fabulous place to spend Christmas and usually surprisingly quiet. Would recommend 1650 or even Le Praz for a real village feel and atmosphere. And if you are lucky enough to have snow on Christmas day then I can't think of a better place to be
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Le Praz is great for real village feel, but that early in the season can look a bit Meadow Green rather than Alpine White. Similarly the run into 1650 can get a bit thin if the snow is poor. If skiing back to your chalet is very important, I'd recommend 1850 for that time of year even if it costs a bit more than the other villages.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Kramer,
Went to Galtur a few years back and skied at Ischgl over xmas we had great snow and really enjoyed it, good skiing for most standards.

I have heard that Zermatt gets pretty queue ridden over xmas from a regular visitor though as this was a few years ago things may have changed with new lifts.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Zermatt is the official Winter Wonderland for me - Xmas would be an excelent time to go. Cervinia would be a cheaper option but it really would be worth paying the extra for both the immaculate pistes and speedy lifts.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We have availability in our chalet in Alpe D'Huez over Chirstmas if you fancy a spot of luxury? We do the usual discounts/donations for snowheads and would provide you with Christmas in style, along with a fantastic ski area for you to explore with a great chirstmas snow record. Have a look at our website if you are interested and contact me for a price www.skialacarte.co.uk
snow report
katski, thank-you for the offer, but we can't leave until Christmas eve.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
katski, I think you, or a kind mod, need to edit your link to remove the full stop at the end.
latest report
Cathy Coins, done!
snow report
Thanks for the full stop removal!

Kramer-shame the dates don't work out. It's a tricky one this year with Christmas falling at the weekend.......
snow report
Hi. We arrive at 1850 on xmas eve. Unfortunately with Worst choice. As they wont know what is going on and will be busy trying to flog us stuff, does anyone know what time it all kicks off at 1850 so we dont miss anything?! Any recommendations welcome!

Thanks

ScottyDog
snow conditions
scottydog, IIRC festivities and fireworks started around 7.00pm.
latest report
Not quite Christmas, but I noticed that Esprit have started discounting their w/c 16/12 holidays. From £899 for a family of four. Nightmare for those without kids - good value for those with. Resorts like Rosiere and Coucrchevel (well, le Praz).
snow conditions
michael stocking, Ssssssshhhhhhh
ski holidays
Aha, but I'm waiting till they release the trips they haven't sold for the 23rd. But I'm not telling anyone.....
ski holidays
I'm really looking forward to our holiday as we are all flying out to Geneva from Bournemouth (5 mins away), we couldn't put up with the young adults moaning about the cramped conditions for a 12 hour car journey so decided to fly, it cost a little bit more, but not that much all things considered. In fact, if we booked the trip today we would be paying an extra £100 Shocked We are going for xmas and travel back on the 1st Jan, the only option when costing for 5 adults. Can't wait!!! snowHead
snow conditions
rob@rar.org.uk, what does IIRC mean? Seen it a bit lately and can't crack it. IMO I'm being dim LOL.
ski holidays
if I remember correctly
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy