Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Val Cenis somebody must have an opinion

Poster: A snowHead
Dear Snowheads

I'm looking for a place to go with the family gang.
Grandad (me ) + Grandma
+ 30 year old son who wont leave home
+ Daughter & "Son in law"
+Baby

I was at the ski show in Birmingham on Friday and amongst the stands was a chap promoting Val Cenis.

We can all ski ok.
On paper it might be ideal ....

But has anyone any experience on it ?
(I had La Thuile in mind as they have cheap self catering there, and its very good skiing)
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hello mate, silver ski boots, we have done Val Cenis 3 times. Stay at La Balcons Val Cenis.

Self catered but with a restaurant below it, which is nice.

Almost ski in ski out,

and one of the nicest fat boy cake shops going.

Went with a group of 15 in 2008/2009 X2

Also did Termignon as well for a week.

150km of piste, Val Cenis and Termignon all linked. Top qualkity family friendly pretty resort. SILVER BOOTS ARE ILLEGAL in VC
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I went there about 20 yrs ago with school, remember there being quite a decent amount of skiing bu not a lot else. I imagine it's changed a bit since then.

Probably not a great deal of help....sorry.

Ste foy is great although perhaps a little limited, but very good for family and children.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Here you go grandad

http://www.les-balcons.co.uk/presentation/les-balcons-de-val-cenis-village.html
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
No Mark Warner at VC though Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks Timbobaggins, Aka "Red Boots" !!

I think the cake shop will clinch it!!

I also don't want Grandma going off piste with my credit card and my granddaughter Elodie

Its a bit of a snag about the SilveryBooties though emm ...

I'll study that link properly now.

Hiyo Sliver!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yes, Val Cenis is a descent enough resort with a variety of skiing.

Compare with many other places in France using this guide:
http://smbt.g-r-c.fr/userfile/file/1345470285_Guide_Station_BAT4-optimise.pdf
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Timbobaggins,

>>No Mark Warner at VC though

No ... But its only over the hill to the Morris!!!!
Our gang got shown a "Yellow Card" there a few years ago.

I was taken to one side and asked in the nicest possible way to simmer down at dinner time ... The crew on the next table did not like our singing and animal noises.

Well that really kicked it off, "Old McDonald" really went with gusto after that. ( I didn't know till then what noise a giraffe makes!)

It was a good job we had curried favour with the staff well beforehand by bringing out presents for them of ....
English Cheddar, Vegemite, Iron Brew, and Tayto Crisps from Oirland as well as some tobacco stuff from Holland.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
altis,

Cheers for that link!

It seems it may be a little gem of a place, and not much further to go than the usual Tarantaise resorts.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Val Cenis is a small resort for entry and mid skiers.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Whilst not in the same league as the Tatrantaise megaresorts, I certainly wouldn't describe it as being little or, indeed, small. There's plenty enough there to keep most folks occupied for a week.

You might pick up some ideas from these trip reports:
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2027068
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=63581
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1995912
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Whitegold,
Quote:

And people who like decent off piste skiing that does not get the crowds. Small is relative it is not a tiny area by any means.
DrLawn,
Quote:

It seems it may be a little gem of a place, and not much further to go than the usual Tarantaise resorts.

Bit smaller than the usual Tarentaise resorts but yes it is good. Potential downside for me would be if going early season it is north facing and may not see a lot of sun if cold.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
DrLawn, Val cenis + termignon has about 260k of runs if I remember so not that small, nice and quiet, rarely a queue anywhere, good off piste, there is the free bus that runs to Val frejus or bonneval if you have skied the 200 + odd k's and get bored and the pass is about £150 for 8 days,

Have a look at the Snowcoach option also...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We stayed last Easter in Lanslebourg, and although the snow conditions were definitely spring-like, and a few of the smaller linking piste were closed, still had some good skiing, and higher up, great skiing, for the week. I could see with good snow there would be quiet a bit of off piste to be had, but we found there was plenty to explore from the 4 different ski areas covered by the lift pass. there are a couple of mountain restaurants which did get quiet full while we were there, nice sunny terraces, and some quite long red and blue runs, but not too difficult, even in heavy snow.
We were a mixed ability group, one of who had never skied before, but with the easier long green runs, and quiet piste, they made good progress, and by day 2 were able, with coaxing, to take on a red. There is also night skiing available, in Le Haut I think, but that stopped the week before we arrived unfortunately.
Lanslebourg was very quiet, but there were 11 of us, so we made our own amusement, but the restaurants were very good, and not too pricey, about 20euro for a 3 course meal. we intended on returning this Easter, but because of family commitments that's not possible, but will go back.

http://www.skiresort.info/ski-resort/val-cenis-vanoise/trail-map/

http://youtube.com/v/cWkgr8jqzUc
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Well a big "thanks" to all SnowHead contributors !

I'm going to have a much closer look at this place and see how we can all get there.

I'll have to delve into the snow coach option as well, My daughter, fella & baby live in Zug (Switzerland) and they want to come skiing with me.

We'd either fly to somewhere cheap or drive down, but I'd have to take a van and it would be a bit of a crush for three of us.

Does anyone know if the road to Turin is open in the winter? (We can still get a cheap flight there with "OurLadyAir"... I don't suppose it will be very cheap once luggage is booked though)

Cheers for all the advice so far!
snow report
Well done Bartezki,

On the pleasant video and well chosen music!
I could almost smell the Tartiflette.

I'm sure I saw some silver boots in there though.
snow conditions
Turin via Frejus tunnel
ski holidays
Bartezki,

Nice vid - brought back some lovely memories of a week I spent there with SnowCoach about 6 years ago. Yet another place to add to the 'must go back there' list rolling eyes
snow report
T Bar wrote:
Whitegold,
Quote:

And people who like decent off piste skiing that does not get the crowds. Small is relative it is not a tiny area by any means.
DrLawn,
Quote:

Bit smaller than the usual Tarentaise resorts but yes it is good. Potential downside for me would be if going early season it is north facing and may not see a lot of sun if cold.

Totally agree with the above. Not that small and some very decent pistes and off piste to be enjoyed. Some can be rather quite treacherous actually. Termignon is top as well. And if you want to give a go to nordic ski-ing then that is also the place in Bessans ! All in all probably much better experience than the Tarentaise factories.
latest report
I will write more tomorrow and put on some more pictures. This is a really nice little resort. However you can use buses to visit a number of resorts along the valley if you wish and there is a good value lift pass to use if you hop from one to another. Bonneval (down the back from Val d'Isere) is at the top and La Norma lower down nearly to Modane, and above Modane there is Val Frejus.
Val Cenis is very good value and I would suggest that Lanslevillard is a better centre than Lanslebourg for the skiing. Both are more like real French villages than most ski resorts. If you want a good value cheaper hotel with good food I can recommend the Etoile de Neige: quite a few non-residents come to eat there. (It has a pool table next to the basement bar.) Actually, there are no expensive Hotels anyway.
I have been to Val Cenis several times but I go for the off-piste to all these resorts (mostly with a local guide). There is not a great deal of very challenging piste skiing but it is a good, smaller, intermediate, uncrowded place frequented by French families.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Thu 1-11-12 11:39; edited 3 times in total
ski holidays
Just to add...the local tourist office does a discovery ski pass which allows time in any of the 14 resorts of the Maurienne if you feel adventurous. You can buy the pass at the ticket office in Val Cenis or any of the participating resrts (need a photo)!
ski holidays
HTL, you prolly mean the Ski Maurienne Sans Frontieres pass. There's a thread all about it here:
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1995912
The only problem is that you have to go to a different resort each day. More details in that thread.

You might mean the Eski-Mo pass but this seems, to me, to be of dubious value.
snow conditions
looked a bit closer at it last night....some 20 years after my first visit on a school trip.

does look very good......might have to try it out again.
latest report
stefoy4me wrote:
looked a bit closer at it last night....some 20 years after my first visit on a school trip.

does look very good......might have to try it out again.
Ok, can we delete this thread now....don't want everyone to know! wink
ski holidays
OK, I'm back (I've been skiing at Hemel this morning)
To continue: You pass a big fortress and smaller forts driving up to Val Cenis.
Here is a good piste map.(click to make even bigger)
Linking Termignon to Val Cenis was a good idea, though the Termignon area is very small by comparison. However, skiing back down near the upper of the two link-lifts there is good off-piste tree skiing.
This is Lanslevillard from in front of the Etoile de Neige Hotel: (see their website here)

The lake over the back:

Some tree skiing

Looking down at Termignon (where we are heading) from the back of the Aussois ski area:

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Thu 1-11-12 11:44; edited 5 times in total
ski holidays
sorry gatecrasher.....know how you feel........much the wink same with Ste Foy.
snow report
More piste maps here:
http://val-cenis.haute-maurienne-vanoise.com/ski-glisse/plan-des-pistes

These show some new lifts - one projected for 2013.
snow report
And don't be fooled by the magnificent Goulet red run from the top of the Mont Cenis lift. It's comfortably the steepest piste in VC and our group of intermediates found it more challenging than the black runs there!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi snowball,
Thanks for joining in and the snaps look great.

Sorry I haven't made it to the Fridge for a go at ski touring ... I feel much better now though ..... one day.
snow report
I agree with Snowball. We have been there for 5 out of the last 6 years. Great for families esp youngsters, quiet good skiing although nothing really taxing (use the lin to the 3 valleys if you want) and dont believe all the run guides, some of the blues are reds, reds, balcks and blacks well a mixture. The other really important thing about it is that its north facing. Snow is therefore spring like but skiiable a lot later than other resorts of a similar height. I was dumbstruck a couple fo Easters ago to fnd the French National Super G moved from Val D'Isere to VAl Cenis....and I was able to do the course before they broke it up....good fun, nice place, good food, very French and the skiing does for an old crock and his family all of whom are relatively young Madeye-Smiley
latest report
Cannot be beaten for value. Mgs ski are good for local knowledge
ski holidays
i went 20yrs ago with school and remember it being really good, have tried to get back since but not managed it yet but determined to do it!
ski holidays
You definitely get more for your money in a resort like Val Cenis than in some of the big name resorts in the Tarentaise. Les Balcons Village is a good accommodation but if you want something one level above I would recommend Les Chalets de Flambeau which is brand new http://www.peakretreats.co.uk/ski/val-cenis/mgm-apartments/les-chalets-de-flambeau.htm. Val Cenis has a nice village feel and you can get there by fast TGV train - stopping at Modane (1/2 drive away) or you can fly to Turin. Also easy driving to from the UK. Motorway all the way to Modane.
snow conditions
I'll add my recent experience, just back from a fabulous week. The skiing is limited, but they look after what they have very well. I was skiing with my wife (we are in late 50s) and she is less adventurous so the way that tehy kept the slopes they have pisted made for an enjoyable, reasonably predictable ski. There are some really nice runs, with lots of sun on the slopes. They even pisted a "black" (no, it's not a black really) during the week. Only slope that we didn't ski was a black path that looked just horrid: narrow, steep, icy, straight drop off the side. There are windy blues and greens (some of the greens are roads in summer) and reds through the trees straight down. One or two of the reds actually make you ski a bit.

The resort is made up mainly of 3 villages, Termignon at the bottom, Lanslebourg, Lanslevillard and an outcrop called Haut Val Cenis at the top.

Termignon is a good looking town, with a great pizza place on the slopes at the bottom (the one on the left), one lift out that eventually leads up to some lovely slopes, but is cut off from the main region. You connect to that along a blue path and a two-way chair lift (because nobody really wants to ski miles and miles of that naff path.

Lanslebourg is in the middle and gets a bit crowded. Again, a very traditional village, no ski-in ski-out at all

Lanslevilard is the top village, where we stayed (right on the piste). Although it was half term, the lifts coped well. A new 6 man chair lift sometimes has a queue but when it did, you can always ski down to a bubble.

Haut Val Cenis also has some ski-in ski-out, facilities aren't quite as good as Lanslevillard but adequate. If you aren't on the piste the only option out is a bubble

The Tourist bureau is very active and there are numerous activities arranged. Walking is also well catered for.

Overall prices are lower than most French resorts, and the quality of facilities is top class. A lot of accommodation available, again much better value than, say, LaPlagne

In short - a perfect resort for a family including beginners and pretty good if you want a week of fun ski without worrying too much about going mad.

Picture is looking along the valley, the extremity of the ski area is in shot.

snow report
Good roundup thanks. I am off to Val Cenis in a few weeks time with the family and I haven't skied there for a little while so really looking forward to it. I was just reading feedback from some of the Peak Retreats clients and La Cordée restaurant in Lanslevillard comes recommended although apparently it never gets that busy. Does anyone know it?
ski holidays
Ham Thanks for the review, we did that black path in a blizzard last year, and about half way down the clouds parted for a second, it's a terrifying sight, and I hadn't even thought about going over the edge until I saw the drop!!
We are back at Easter, and wondered if anyone had any information on when the night skiing finishes, (I think they lit a slope up in Le Haut), we just missed it last year. Does it depend on snow conditions, as it was a bit sketchy in places last year?
I agree for a value break it is hard to beat, our self catering apartments include ski and boot hire, and lift pass in the price!!
snow report
My opinion, that of a dyslexic is that whenever the words Val Cenis is written, I think about my friends mum having a Penisisisis. Merci, Caio, au revoir, Bizous.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy