Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski tuning - mixing DIY and shop- servicing skis - what edge angle is "normal"

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
My skis get serviced by both shops and DIY.
So, a simple question... ...what happens if I use different edge angle than the shop-service?

Anyone know what edge angle a shop-service will typically put on a pair of B2s?
I have a dakine edge tuning tool - which offers 88 and 90 degree bevel.

If I use the 88 degree edge, and the shop normally uses 90 degress, does this mean I will be wearing out the metal more than I should?

And anyone got an (informed) view of whether the 2 degrees makes any difference to the ride? I was hoping that the 88 degree would make the B2s feel a bit nippier edge-to-edge, but in all honesty could not tell. I do around 3 - 4 weeks on snow per year.

Cheers!
TJ
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
TJon, Someone else will come up the the correct angle for your B2s.

The simple answer is to have the shop use the same bevel that you use............. snowHead

I put 88 on all my skis - mostly because a) I'd only forget if I use different angles on different skis, and b) 88 feels better (grippier, earlier) than 90... Puzzled
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I would suspect that the shop puts on 89. (in most of the UK shops that I've asked, they do 1 and 1)
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Most shops will put on 1* & 1* unless you tell them to do otherwise.

I use 1*(or 89* if you prefer) base and 2*(88*) side on everything, saves having to remember what's what. That covers slalom skis, B2's and Volkl 5*.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
TJon, Yes, if you & the shop keep altering the angles then you'll get excessive wear. Shop tuning done on a belt tends to be inconsistent along the edge, as is often the case when the ski is first delivered from the factory.

Your Rossi B2's have a factory tune of 1 & 1, ie 1 degree base edge angle & 1 degree (89) side edge angle.

Here's a list of standard factory angles:

Brand / Base Angle / Side Angle
Atomic 1◦ 3◦
Dynastar 1◦ 1-2◦
Elan .5-1.5 ◦ 0-2 ◦
Fischer .7◦ 3◦
Hart .5 ◦ 1.5-2 ◦
Head 0-1 ◦ 0-2 ◦
K2 .5 ◦ 1◦
Olin 1◦ 1◦
Nordica .5 ◦ 1.5 ◦
Rossignol 1◦ 1◦
Salomon 1◦ 1◦
Volant 1◦ 1◦
Volkl 1◦ 2◦ (I was recommended to put a 1&3 tune on my 5*'s by a Volkl factory team tech)
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy