Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is Paclite rubbish?

Poster: A snowHead
I've still got some Paclite jackets which I use for climbing and sometimes for skiing (usually in December rains - or in the car park during Easter wetness) and they are giving me problems.

Most of the year I am in technical softshells with a good DWR or highly breathable jackets with thick fleece inner, pertex outer - gear such as Paramo (Velez) Rab (Vapour Rise), Montane (Extreme Smock), Patangonia (Speed Ascent) - these all work brilliantly without a Gore membrane, essentially by not worrying about blocking water, but ensuring that body heat evaporates off the water as it hits the warmer inner layers of fleece, so the outside can saturate but the water never actually reaches the skin. And it all stays a lot more breathable - a lot - without the blocking membrane. But Gore has its place, and I have a couple of Paclite jackets to stuff in the bottom of sacks, for walk-ins and really warm days when I just want to have a thin layer on top in the sun but need a good emergency layer.

The problem is this - both Paclite jackets (one Macpac, One Arcteryx) have suddenly decided to leak like mad, directly through the fabric on the back. The taping is fine, it just leaks through the panels. A retailer here simply said 'paclite only lasts a couple of years' which is pretty rubbish in the case of a £300 Arc jacket.

Anyone else had the same problems?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Despite all expectations, Gore can sometimes leak - buy a 'tet-wash' washing powder and wash the jackets in that, it helps revive the gore-tex. I have a paclite cycling jacket and it kicks ass with the occasional re-proofing.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The problem with paclite is that the gore tex membrane is exposed and more likely to get damaged. I've got a 1st gen Berghaus paclite and it's still going strong, no leaks, but it's not used very often and tends to live in it's stuff-sack.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
What feef says, you get packability and lightness at the cost of durability. Leaking through the back makes sense if you wear a pack regularly as it receives a fair amount of abuse. Simply the fabric is not designed for lots of abuse. If you want a thin, packable layer that is also a bit water resistant look at windshirts like the RAB Alpine.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
valais2, gore have a lifetime guarantee, if they leak, send 'em back!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
rasmanisar wrote:
buy a 'tet-wash' washing powder
I think you meant a Tech-Wash
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
IME with paclite its usually abrasion that gets it which I'm not sure is a warranty issue. Then again I've got a jacket I'm wearing to ski over a back protector so its almost duct taped from new.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Bear in mind too, that gore-tex is now almost a 30 year old technology. Many of the newer waterproofing systems are equally as good if not better. Goretex does work, certainly, but it's trading on it's name and reputation more than actual performance now.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Nikwax is a good technical fabric wash you can use in your washing machine at home.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
snowball wrote:
rasmanisar wrote:
buy a 'tet-wash' washing powder
I think you meant a Tech-Wash

Haha yes, bit of a miss-spelling there Embarassed Laughing
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
You could try sending it to these people for inspection / washing / repair:

http://www.lancashiresportsrepairs.co.uk/
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
There's another one as well, Graingers I think. Used that several times on various waterproofs including goretex, seemed to work a treat.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
altis wrote:
You could try sending it to these people for inspection / washing / repair:

http://www.lancashiresportsrepairs.co.uk/

You could slso try sending it back to Arcteryx.
They offered to fix some minor things on my ancient Sidewinder SV under warranty, as apparently all (non-factory outlet) Arcteryx stuff has a lifetime warranty according to someone who was working at the factory shop here.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Is it rubbish? In my experience, yes. I much prefer a soft shell or a full-on 3 layer goretex. I've had a couple of paclite jackets and won't be bothering again.

You can try and send them back but I suspect the guarantee is against faults and not wear and tear. Re-proofing with Tech Wash or Graingers will help, but it's only a short term fix.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
sah wrote:
Is it rubbish? In my experience, yes. I much prefer a soft shell or a full-on 3 layer goretex. I've had a couple of paclite jackets and won't be bothering again.

You can try and send them back but I suspect the guarantee is against faults and not wear and tear. Re-proofing with Tech Wash or Graingers will help, but it's only a short term fix.

The issues with my Arcteryx jacket were definitely wear and tear and old age - worn out waterproof zip and cracked yellowing arm pocket window thing. I haven't quite got round to taken it back (no excuse really as the HQ/factory is also in North Van!), but Arcteryx person did say that would be covered
snow report
valais2, stuarth,

look if you bought high end products, with lifetime guarantees - for lots of cash and aren't satisfied and they are leaking with normal wear.

You could send them back.

I did this- after a lot of faffing wit ha Patagonia jacket- about 10years old, worn, but bubbling membrane- I emailed, sent photos, they asked a question or two, I was nice, they said 'send it back if you're not satisfied (we expect 3 layer products to last 8 years), I washed it, wrapped and sent to Holland.

They sent me a brand new jacket-

Thanks.

I'd not done that before- I'd been satisfied, but I'd hoped the jacket would last longer.

I ama very happy customer.
snow report
ed123,

Yep, I know.
Mine is actually about 12 or 13 years old and it really is a fairly minor issue, still works fine. The issue for me is i've been too lazy to get round to taking it in - despite the proximity meaning it isn't really that much of a hassle at all Embarassed
snow conditions
Mrs MA & I have both had seven years' trouble free use of Paclite walking jackets and overtrousers and biking cagoules too. They're a mix of Berghaus, Sprayway, Paclite and Freestyle (my biking jacket). We use the walking clobber for ski touring too.
latest report
valais2, thanks all....I reckon I'll try a Grainger's wash, and if that does nothing, the Arcteryx will be going back to them, and the Macpac will be a town jacket. Both manufacturers are excellent, and the jackets are in fine condition and has done excellent service, it's just the membrane which seems to have failed.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy