Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

SR : Wales 2012 / 13

Poster: A snowHead
Sharkymark, Laughing Luckily I have a lovely pair of Directors that would be just the job for you wink
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
AndAnotherThing.. wrote:
Mike Pow, Do you have a photo of the line uncovered, I'd be interested to see the surface ?

This is the best I have

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 8-11-12 12:40; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sharkymark wrote:
Mike Pow, that's a little bit beyond epic Cool Where are my damn skis when I need them! Skullie

Cheers Sharkymark.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
So much respect...
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ChrisWo wrote:
So much respect...

Thanks. Too much time on my hands wink
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
This is brilliant. Looks pretty steep...
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mike, heroic effort.

Very inspiring too!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks parkesy and bobmcstuff.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
awesome job.... Cool
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Cheers norris.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Gotta ask....

Doesn't that wreck your skis? There must be rocks everywhere.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Corduroy wrote:
Gotta ask....

Doesn't that wreck your skis? There must be rocks everywhere.

Can do if you pick the wrong line / get unlucky.

Minor scratches over these two days thankfully.

When the 'base' is shallow it's pretty obvious where the the rocks are. And when we've had a big dump they're all covered up. It's the inbetween stage that's the biggest problem.

A centred stance and more pivotted turns allows the base to form underneath the skis and saves them from too much damage.

With the unconsolidated snow / grass / rock hybrid typical of the area, an aggressive edge set will result in blown edges pretty quickly.

In my experience the biggest problem is losing wax on the grass.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
No longer in The Land of My Fathers

SR : Shiribeshi Stories, Hokkaido 2012/13
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=93446
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Never been a better time to ski the Brecon Beacons by the looks of things

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/loutdoor/mountainsafety/brecon/brecon_latest_pressure.html

Get it done ladies and gentlemen snowHead
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'd be there if I wasn't heading to the Alps on Saturday. I believe harrisontherabbit is heading up tomorrow... snowHead
latest report
Sharkymark wrote:
I believe harrisontherabbit is heading up tomorrow... snowHead

It would be rude not to. snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow report
Any snow on any of the welsh dry slopes? My dad could benefit from a day on real snow to re-learn
ski holidays
Absolutely covered in Bristol - no chance of getting there!
ski holidays
Mountain roads closed.
ski holidays
You guys have scored with a 'Red' snow warning from the met office Laughing
snow conditions
(A genuine) 8 inches in my garden so far. It's more than a little bit annoying that the A470 is closed, but I'm sure I can find somewhere to play.....
snow conditions
Iaink wrote:
Any snow on any of the welsh dry slopes? My dad could benefit from a day on real snow to re-learn
Pontypool or Cardiff would be your best bet, looking at the weather maps. Give 'em a phone call.
snow conditions
Mendips dry ski slope will be plastered
ski holidays
David and i are going to give it a try saturday morning. we will be coming up with a snow tyre equipped vehicle and chains ....

Which roads are closed in the Brecons ? if any, are there any ways around them ?
ski holidays
nice one Gav - be safe, and post pics

i have no useful info for you though
ski holidays
wildstyle, The A470 was closed earlier between Brecon and Merthyr, but it's been reopened. Snow has calmed down now, so you shouldn't have any problems getting around. Check here for updates: http://www.traffic-wales.com/news/snow-update-january-2013-%281%29.aspx

I didn't get up high today, but dug out my old board and spent a bit of time mucking around near my house instead. Even sort of managed a line through the trees to the pub. Unfortunately it was closed.

Will try and dig the car out tomorrow. snowHead
snow conditions
cheers ian.

Thanks harrison, we will be heading for the storey arms for about 10am tomorrow morning to start hiking up.
snow report
wildstyle, that's probably about the time I'd be aiming for. Look out for a green Audi Allroad.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ok , vis was an issue. less than 15m at the top. snow was ok but less than expected.

Vis was too bad to attempt the north face so did some laps back down to the car park ...

I'll be back again if we get a decent amount of snow in the next couple of weeks.
snow conditions
How deep was the snow from the top down to the car park? I've got a new snowboard and I don't want to ding it on rocks before I go on my main snow trip but would like a few runs down if poss. Had a few good runs down a pretty big field near Crickhowell today, but the snow wasn't as deep as I'd expected either.

Cheers,
Kev
ski holidays
You will put holes in your board in the bottom 100m, everything else is good.
ski holidays
Pretty wild up top today. Intended to walk up to Pen-y-Fan peak but there was so much wind and the vis was so poor that we didn't get much further than Bwlch Duwynt (windy gap). Traversed south a bit and then came down Cefn Crew and then parallel to the main path. Skis on all the way to the bridge at the bottom but it wasn't easy skiing.
The grass is longer and more tufty than in previous years, possibly a result of the wet year we've just had. In the few small area where there was enough snow to cover the grass it was very wind affected and crusty, sometimes breakable, sometimes not. Tricky!
My friend Andy was on his board and telling me that he's now done the double down the North Face of the Bellecote, on skis and on a board. He was also saying that despite only three weeks on a board that it seems relatively much easier to board off piste than to ski. Well we discovered today that skis seem to manage Beacons grass/snow better than a board!
If conditions and vis improve, after the winds we've had I would imagine Cwm Llwch could be the place to go.
ski holidays
imorris, Funny, I was out on ski's yesterday on a local hill and thought that a board might be the way to go on some of the terrain. I'll have to give it a go and decide. Just putting up some photo's in the UK \ Wales thread.
snow report
AndAnotherThing.., My friend is a better skier than boarder so that could be a factor but it was plain that when we were traversing, I could hold a higher line than him or go quicker for the same line. My skis are not in good nick, new skis have relegated this pair to Beaccons' skis. They did seem to go over the grass better though. Maybe the more raised front profile helps.
Certainly not a proven fact, just some observations from yesterday.
latest report
imorris,
this is an excellent report iwan
may i commend you to the temporarily vacant post of Brecon Beacons Resort Manager.
Keep up the good work.
One other observation - we should have found one of the lower fields - out of the wind the cover looked much better than the hills. rolling eyes
latest report
Another few inches this morning. If only I didnt have to work today....
latest report
I had my first go on a board on Friday, the main difficulties seemed to be hidden bushes and my friends dogs trying to attack me rolling eyes
Snow kayaking seemed to be the safest bet,
latest report
I've posted some pics from Shropshire here:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=92360#2208061
snow report
Another 8 inches overnight at 350m in the eastern Beacons. Already dripping off the roof though, so get out there quick!
ski holidays
Anyone been up penyfan the past day or 2, what are the roads like getting up there?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy