Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Difficulty of black runs in Val d'Isere?

Poster: A snowHead
intermediate wrote:
Not as scary as Sache usually IMO.

Really? I love Sache. The steep bit's fine as it's fairly short and I've always found the moguls quite soft (in March, I might add). If Epaule is 'less scary' then I'm encouraged to give it a go! It looks freaking terrifying when you see from the Arcelle run.

I honestly think the thought of the blacks bothers me more than actually just M (W) TFU-pping and going and doing them.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
This thread is so useful! I'm heading back to Tignes after a 5 year gap & wanting to try some of the black's I've not done before, depending on the conditions. I've never been brave enough to try Face, so that's on the list along with Sache which I've never done for some reason.

I thought Leisse was a blue the first time I went down it, it was so nice & then took a nervous skier down it the following year & it was just huge bumps all the way down - not what he needed at all to boost confidence...

Epaule du Charvet is easier than Santons in ANY conditions in my book... Even big icy bumps are better than a narrow piste littered with bodies. Nothing will get me down there again.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The problem with epaule is that it's a convex slope, ie you have to get at least 1/3 way down before you can see the bottom. That's a psychological block.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@HoneyBunny, You'll be fine on EdC - it's super wide so the 'traverse of shame' is always a possibility Embarassed
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@sazza42,
Quote:

I've never been brave enough to try Face, so that's on the list along with Sache which I've never done for some reason.

What time of year are you going? I think Face between about 10.30-12 is great, if not icy. Sache more variable in my experience. From thrilling but unthreatening through to scary (moguls too big to see over and hard packed). I'd send an expendable 'scout' down first and see whether they survive.
Anyone done Pramecou lately from Col de Ves chair? Seems to be closed a lot when I've been there last 4 years or so. I thought that was a good roller-coaster type of run and well worth a slight detour.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
i think silene used be known as cocaine !!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
.... sorry butting in halfway through all this - I did read somewhere before and ill reiterate it but the difficulty of a run is very chicmstantial to everything from time of day, to the weather and how the performer is feeling at the time. One thing is for sure the runs in the EK are on the whole not particularly well graded (discussions a million times before as to why). As with ALL resorts the colouring of runs is as much about marketing to have something for everyone (a resort) as opposed a true reflection of how hard the runs are BUT go lightly when selecting your runs here. Another thing you can do is have a think about what it is about a run that you find hard or easy and look at the piste map / chat with others to gain a picture as to what to expect on that run. A classic on this is Le Face.... it gets pisted everynight therefore first thing in the morning it is a lovely black run... why does it get pisted so much.... sheer weight of traffic as opposed to something like the Foret. Remember skiing / snowboarding etc is supposed to be fun - so treat it that way and ENJOY it!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
How would EK veterans rank the different naturides in terms of difficulty? It sounds like the pisted blacks can vary enormously in how tricky they are depending on conditions, but presumably the naturides are pretty much always very mogully or, even with these, do they vary quite widely? And does it make a difference if it's early in the season?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@White Fox, -- you might want to read the description of the Naturides on the Tignes website. They are a step up from a black run -- no so much in technical difficulty, but rather more in that they require more mountain skills --- i.e. the ability to read the snow condition, stability etc . IMV is a real pity that they appear on the piste map, the runs have always been there but now have much more traffic --- but I suppose it means that more people can enjoy them.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@ski, I have read that but it's a bit out of date and doesn't cover some of the smaller ones so I just wondered if anyone had experience of all/most of them.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
red 27 wrote:
@HoneyBunny, You'll be fine on EdC - it's super wide so the 'traverse of shame' is always a possibility Embarassed

Ooooh I'm good at that LOL

I think EdC and Pramecou are going to be my two to try this season.

@White Fox, As far as I know, they do vary in steepness, but expect huge moguls on all of them, they are never, ever pisted.

Steepest I believe are Grizzly, Piste S, Golf and Paquerettes - but I have never skied (or will ever) any of them so hopefully a better skier than me who has will confirm!! I've heard the snow on Golf is usually good because there is no lift at the bottom, you have to wait for a bus, so many people avoid it for that reason.

Silene is not especially steep, but the moguls are car-sized at times and it can be very difficult. Envers de Campanules is at least very wide so you can traverse to lose height.

Most of them are viewable from safe points before deciding whether you want to ski them! Struggling down giant, very steep bumps is no fun and potentially dangerous.

When I did Silene, a woman in our group was in tears trying to slide down it on her backside with someone carrying her skis..
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks @HoneyBunny.

I may well give Golf a go because it is quite close to my chalet (and because you and others have said the snow is normally good as it's quiet) and may even be able to ski across from it even if I don't go all the way down.

I've got an idea of what Silene is like thanks to this beauty -
http://youtube.com/v/d0p38OTfW8k - not what I am hoping to emulate!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
White Fox wrote:
I've got an idea of what Silene is like thanks to this beauty - not what I am hoping to emulate!

You may be able to ski across but the red next to it, Myosotis, had some pretty big moguls on it when I did it last year, and was narrow in sections. Not as big or as steep as Silene, and in great conditions it wouldn't be particularly tricky, but I didn't find it that much easier. I'm no great skier though and have a particular dislike of moguls - so much effort - so it may just be me!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
That looks fairly horrible - and busy. Why do so many people who can't ski anywhere near well enough want to do runs like that?
Quote:

When I did Silene, a woman in our group was in tears trying to slide down it on her backside with someone carrying her skis..

rolling eyes Was she bullied into it or was she just a silly cow?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@White Fox, I've skied all of them at one point or another --- they are variable - as any natural snow is. You ought to have Avvy gear (and training) on some --- Envers des Campanules for example - which is why they have the beeper stations at the top. Pramecou is prob the easiest -- there is a track you can follow all the way --- with out actually skiiing any of the bumps.

I'm worried that I'm sounding a bit of a killjoy --- so here's a more positive view Laughing

Roughly Black = Steeper and narrower than Red.... each of these mean more bumps.

So skiing a black (again, roughly) = skiing bumps.

So where would I go to ski bumps in EK to start ? Rocs/Creux (top of the Tommeuse chair) has a variety of lines (some quite gentle) are good to practice on. Leisse can also be good. You can also find some lines on the side Glacier.

I'd much rather ski a gentler line (for example on Creux) well, rather than just survive a more difficult one. If it's been clear and cold overnight I'll wait for the sun (if any) to soften the snow a bit first.

Remember that skiing is much more about smiling than surviving, and no-one (in the bar) really cares if you skied a black or not.
snow report
@pam w, I guess it's a tricky balance. I want to challenge myself but without endangering myself or anyone else. I'm trying to get a decent idea of what the runs are like before I even go out there in 3 weeks so I don't find myself stuck at the top of a run that I am patently incapable of doing but not everyone is as anal as me.
ski holidays
Thanks @ski, that's really helpful. Having a go at something hard is part of the fun for me, to be fair, and I will be skiing with better skiers than me but I also don't want to do anything daft.
snow report
Quote:

I'm trying to get a decent idea of what the runs are like before I even go out there in 3 weeks so I don't find myself stuck at the top of a run that I am patently incapable of doing but not everyone is as anal as me.

I don't call that anal, I call it only commonsense.

But so much depends on conditions. And crowds. A difficult run, with people in heaps or skidding round in uncontrolled fashion, is a different prospect from having it all to yourself (and your expert friend who will pick up your skis and sort you out...... wink And Leisses is easy after it's been pisted.

I had some lessons on bumps near the Tommeuse chair in Tignes - can't remember where, exactly, it was years ago, but the lessons were very useful. Could do with a refresher now......

Book a lesson to learn to tackle bumps and let the instructor decide where to take you?
ski holidays
@White Fox,
Quote:

I'm trying to get a decent idea of what the runs are like before I even go out

The trouble is --- as @pam w, it depends so much on the conditions.

Here is a way I use.... on the lift up look at the skiers on the run you want to attempt....if everyone looks good --- then the snow is good. If you see lots of people stopping, traversing, looking far from comfortable --- then likely as not, the snow is icy, bumpy, crusty etc. Of course this is only useful if you have a choice about your route down Laughing
snow conditions
@pam w, +1. I really don't understand why any of those people in that video thought they had the ability to ski that run. Most are just stood about, others are flailing around all over the show. I bet they big up their ability in the bar at the end of the day though!!!
General rule; Those who claim to be expert skiers who only ski black runs are generally pretty terrible skiers. I found this out pretty quickly when I did my season as a ski host (when it wasn't illegal in France).
latest report
pam w wrote:
That looks fairly horrible - and busy. Why do so many people who can't ski anywhere near well enough want to do runs like that?
Quote:

She didn't know her limits.

http://youtube.com/v/3qCVwmWrZS4

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Mon 23-11-15 18:41; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
pam w wrote:

She was a silly cow. She wanted to be in the better group to ski with her husband, and was in no way up to it.

I can't say I made a great job of it. It was fresh snow on top of massive moguls, I fell over loads of times as my skis kept slamming into icy moguls underneath the fresh! Wouldn't have done it if I'd known, but the ski host took us!!

Still, I survived.
ski holidays
Quote:

I can't say I made a great job of it.

I'm sure I wouldn't have done, either. Maybe the French are right about ski hosts?? wink
snow report
Foret is the hardest run I've ever done. When I did it it was icy, huge moguls. And an irresistible challenge.
snow conditions
pam w wrote:

Black at EK covers a wide spectrum of difficulty. You can't see Silene from a lift. The only reason I know to stay away is because I've read about it.
snow report
Silene used to be a red run and was called cocaine before they got all politically correct. It isn't particularly steep but it does bump up a bit.
snow conditions
@T Bar, must be a very long time ago when the name changed. I first went to Tignes in 95 and it was Silene then, remember it very well powder day with big bumps hidden underneath Toofy Grin
ski holidays
@stevew, I started going in the mid 80's definitely red then, can't remember when it changed but think it was still red in the late eighties.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
T Bar wrote:
Silene used to be a red run and was called cocaine.

Shouldn't it have been a white then?
snow conditions
dogwatch wrote:
You can't see Silene from a lift

Yes you can, the Marais lift goes right over it.

You can also see a large section of it from the next door Myosotis red run.
latest report
OK. I've been up Marais many times and never noticed it whereas, say, Foret is very obvious from the lift. Not sure I've ever done Myosotis.
latest report
It's the big bumpy bit under the lift Wink
snow report
intermediate wrote:
@coops1967, I enjoyed 3000 many years ago, including the steep drag lift. I think snowHeads should mount a campaign to get it reopened.
Not so the Tunnel. Stooping through a corrugated steel tube, then pointing skis down steep ice between rocks, without enough width to turn, not my idea of fun. Glad I did it though, around 1997 the last time. Felt like an escape scene from a war film.

They definitely should keep 3000 open - all they need to do is post to youtube a clip of the piste basher being winched up its face (presuming it does or used to get pisted, the moguls were 'hilarious' on my ice & rock encounter), followed by an edit showing the view of a skier (no snowboards allowed on such a steep drag) on the steepest button lift complete with comedy sign by the side stating the preposterous angle you're being dragged up... reckon that would get its popularity and usage up.

Wished i'd or someone has taken a photo of that sign - although tricky when you're hanging on, wincing and praying you got all the family jewels arranged ok before setting off on it...

Also - for the less experienced or timid, there's a few 'red' runs which give pause... especially the ones where the lift dumps you at the top with absolutely no alternative or route to bail out on.
Thinking of the two drags side by side in the Fornet Area - the right hand one would let you off at a blue, fair enough... but get on the left hand one - see the right hand one stop and you get carried on past a sharp left hand bend up to a Val D'Isere 'special' red.
ski holidays
@coops1967,
Quote:

Thinking of the two drags side by side in the Fornet Area - the right hand one would let you off at a blue, fair enough... but get on the left hand one - see the right hand one stop and you get carried on past a sharp left hand bend up to a Val D'Isere 'special' red.

That would be Signal
snow report
T Bar wrote:
@stevew, I started going in the mid 80's definitely red then, can't remember when it changed but think it was still red in the late eighties.

Found my 95 piste map and it was red and Silene then. Campanules was also a red then.
snow conditions
Got on that lift last year. Looked fairly innocuous, from the bottom. Does it ever get bashed?
ski holidays
@dogwatch, Silene is not that steep but I don't think it's bashed. It gets a bit of sun and can end up with fairly big and very icy moguls.
snow report
We have never done Sache. Where it branches off at the top looks lovely though quite flat, then it disappears from view, the next we see it is near Le Breviere, where you can see the bumps from the coach on the way up to resort and they look even bigger looking up from the red, Pavot (I think). What happens inbetween please? Not sure we will ever give it a go though Sad
snow report
@NE1, It swings right, narrows, then turns sharp left, still steep and often patchy & bumpy, before traversing back to the final section that you refer to.

An unusual run - lots of variety to say the least. It goes through some lovely country and feels adventurous
snow conditions
@NE1, I'm not always that confident, and I can cope ok with Sache. There is one steep section with largish bumps (the bit you can see from the road) but the rest is fairly benign and very beautiful. It's isolated and usually pretty empty until you get near the end. Sometimes the top section is pisted and it's WONDERFUL. Worth a try.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy