Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tirol/Innsbruck Area Snow 2012/13

Poster: A snowHead
60cms of absolute pure dry cold-smoke blower up Nordkette this morning, so light fluffy and perfect I didn't even realise my boots were still in walk mode for the first few runs! Sun poked his head out for a while too, nice to have some visibility for a change, but it's snowing up top again now... Upper couloirs still to open, still some stashes of fresh in the trees, and if this snow carries on overnight the main slopes may be reset too - game on again tomorrow, methinks!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
clarky999, these sorts of posts are torturing me. Enjoy (he says through gritted teeth) wink
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Best skiing, of my life, ever, full stop, today. Got up the mountain (Nordkette) pretty late after dropping my 'rents at the airport, most of it was soft but pretty tracked. Completely bluebird, bright sun and great vis too. First I found an untracked mini-ridge/pillow line, sweet. Bizarrely the park was nipple-deep with fresh untouched snow, so I lapped it a few times gobbling up the faceshots. Then got talking to a couple of locals, who showed me a new run off the back of the park, biiiig long open face with deep fresh snow, surfed out some big 'Alaska Turns' at mach schnell, then into a tight, powdery couloir, some cheeky tree-dodging through the forest, then onto a deserted piste to blast back to the lifts. Be Nice please! righteous, I feel cleansed and filthy at the same time. Beer time now.

Sorry, no pics, was too buys skiing to get the camera out, and forgot to charge my GoPro.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

surfed out some big 'Alaska Turns' at mach schnell

Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Great post clarky999
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Interesting conditions today. Still some powder up top (pretty tracked, though I wasn't up until pretty late so might have been better int he morning), minging icy rain crust mid mountain, nice corn snow below... Rain did a fair amount of damage to the snow low down, but it's still possible to ski all the way to the bottom. Looks like the Foehn's on the way out now though, dark clouds were blowing in from the West all afternoon, it then started snowing (very lightly) as I was on my way down. Some nice views, especially as the sun went down:

snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Nice photos, is that the Stubai you can see in the distance on the 3rd photo?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Rain at the flat as I went to be last night, woke up and it was snowing. Managed to squeeze a couple of laps in between work and my German course, around 20/25cms of fresh up Nordkette, enough for a couple of faceshots of you slashed hard enough. Very nice, tomorrow looks set to be pretty good too!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Tirol, kind of, but very far back - that's more Axamer Lizum way. The last picture shows the entry towards the Stubaital, form where you would then cut right behind the jagged peak in the third picture.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hit some of the steeps a long traverse skiers left from the Hafelekar station at Nordkette, with two Americans I randomly got talking to on the cable car up. Didn't really get any more fresh snow on top of yesterday's, but still found some nice untracked (if a bit sun affected) powder. Noticeably warmed up mid afternoon, so we called it a day.

One of the guys seriously ripped, even on "just my old beater tele skis," though skiing alpine style. Turned out, as well as being an ex-racer, he used to be in the US junior olympic ski jumping team, and captain of the Harvard langlauf team...

It's both a good and a bad thing, but there's so many really excellent skiers at Nordkette, it's always very obvious how downright mediocre I am Laughing Really cool to see/watch though.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Wed 19-12-12 22:04; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Turned out, as well as being an ex-racer, he used to be in the US junior olympic ski jumping, and captain of the Harvard langlauf team...

Impressive company, clarky999!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
At.the airport now, flying to the UK for Christmas. Absolutely dumping atm, even down here in the valley! Someone's gonna have a good time today!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Dclarky999, Stay where you are - it is p$ssing down all over the uk Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We did on the 24th of december a morning run in Axamer lizum, and their website is overly positive, Only the top pistes were powdery.
The rest was hard, but what do you want with the temperature above zero, no slush puppy at least untill 13:00.

The previous 2 times we were there we were happy to see our hands so this time the sun was a very nice surprise. It was sunny and a WARM(almost hot) wind blowing in our face on the marked powdery offpiste 14 and 15.

It was a nice season starter.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Good couple of days skiing.

30/40cms on powder in St Anton on the 28th, good conditions on Nordkette the day after, Patscherkoffel was a bit windscoured on the 31st, Schlick was good on the 2nd, Stubai suprosingly good considering the visibility and wind on the 3rd, dumping in Axamer Lizum today, still light rain in Innsbruck so hopefully Nordkette will be banging tomorrow.
snow report
About 50cms of new snow on Nordkette, but with a big temp inversion it was VERY warm even first thing. Snow was horrendous, like concrete. LOTS of avalanche activity, I've never seen so much before at Nordkette, most slopes had slid at least in part, slides from the upper couloirs had gone a long way with significant amounts of snow. Great views though, I was nursing a heavy hangover was actually pretty happy to just chill at the bar all day. Pistes were in very nice condition though. Got much colder late afternoon, looking like there may be some slight snow flurries tonight too - be careful if you go offpiste, everything is in very dodgy condition atm.
snow report
erk - better be decent snow down that way next weekend (although I was going to hit up Zillertal Arena to do the bits I've never done before)
snow conditions
andy, Think Winter is back next weekend.
latest report
Left Mayrhofen yesterday, temperature inversion, warm at 1600m, colder but still above freezing in village. Pissing down for 2 days. Hope things improve for the 19th.
snow report
kewl - snow. Was expecting a big high pressure to get stuck over alps, meaning clear weather and no snow till after the birthday bash. Looking like I might be wrong Smile
ski holidays
Ghost dog, how is the snow in mayrhofen? Amheading out on 12th
snow report
Snowing lightly atm, down to my flat at least.
snow conditions
Lot of new snow, still coming down heavily.
ski holidays
ooooh! getting excited.
Innsbruck tonight, Kaltenbach tomorrow, Zell am Ziller on sunday, is my plan of action.

think it's sposed to snow tomorrow am, and be nicer sunday?
snow conditions
andy, that's what I've heard.

20/25cms today, on a pretty cruddy base. Touching base once in a while, but fat rockered skis just rise up over and keep it fun. Not enough snow to tempt the masses up from Innsbruck, so things stayed fresh for a surprisingly long time. SOme people triggered a couple of small sloughy slides in places, new snow hasn't bonded as well as it might have - play safe. Still snowing a bit now, tomorrow should be fun for anyone who doesn't have work ( Sad )

Trixi getting stuck in:

So much snow it's causing problems with some lifts - I fell off a chairlift after the tip of my ski got stuck in the snow, bending me under tha chair as it moved forward. Luckily hadn't pulled the bar down by that point or it could have been very painful...
snow report
clarky999, Laughing
snow report
Looks like Stubai and Hintertux will get the goods early next week (though Italy will be getting most of it). Stolen from wePowder:

snow report
Nice grippy snow onpiste at Nordkette yesterday, softish bumps off. Lots of fun. Light snow right down to the city today.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
clarky999, assume roads are all ok around Innsbruck?? Driving from San Cassiano to the airport tomorrow morning.....
latest report
roads were bare yesterday
snow report
kitenski, roads are fine, it was only light snow. Takes a lot (really a lot) to affect the big valley bottom motorways.
snow report
Tirol's new 'freeride' promo video:

http://youtube.com/v/6CdIjz7PWIY
ski holidays
It's dumping - HARD. Like, really, REALLY dumping.

It better carry on all day tomorrow (I have work, and my pow skis are getting their first service in two seasons).
snow conditions
clarky999, sounds good. Nice video too! Just need to get the all clear from the doctors soon. Getting a little frustrating seeing all the snow falling...
snow report
clarky999, was lovely and sunny as we flew out yesterday!! What's that ski area just outside Innsbruck on the way to Italy, maybe 15kms outside the airport??? Maybe off the E60 or E45???
latest report
kitenski, the one literally right by the Brenner autobahn at the Italian border? With the skiers barely metres away from the carriageway the other side of the barriers?
snow conditions
andy, yes...that's it ..... with a run coming down close to the autobahn....

there was another one in Italy with a gondola going over the Autobahn!!
snow report
kitenski, this one i think:
http://www.wipptal.at/en/tirol/contact/the-ski-area.html
more specifically:
http://www.bergeralm.net/ski-run-panorama.html

Don't remember gondola going over autostrada. Think one goes under the autobahn in Austria. Will look out for it in 2.5 weeks.
snow report
andy, that links correct, it was NoBlac I remembered which appears to be the name of the summit!

The second one could well be under, I was driving on the way there and feeling very ill on the way back so didn't give it full attention!
ski holidays
kitenski, The is another one on the upside of the Brenner coming from Italy - Sterzing/Vipiteno. The gondolas cross above the motorway to the Rosskopf. The one right along side heading towards Innsbruck is part of the Wipptal area and the piste you can see is in the Steinach am Brenner part of Wipptal ( http://www.webcams.travel/webcam/1232544663-Weather-Steinach-am-Brenner-Steinach-am-Brenner )
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy