Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tirol/Innsbruck Area Snow 2012/13

Poster: A snowHead
northantsred,
I have done Stubai and Shlick,the latter being a superb little, very scenic ski area at the back of Neustift.
Stubai is great but a bit of a drive up to the very busy car park.
Do not miss the cheesy Austropop apres in the Mutterberg !!!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sorry I meant Fulpmes not Neustift for Shlick !
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Saw lots of snow and ice in Innsbruck last Friday - but on the stage Laughing

There was an excellent production in the Landestheater of Alfredo Catalani's opera, La Wally (perhaps best known through the "hit" aria 'Ebben? ... Ne andrò lontana' which appeared in the film "Diva"). The opera, based on a story by Wilhelmine von Hillern "Die Geyer-Wally" about a woman living in the mountains, ends with the heroine dieing in an avalanche (maybe on the Rettenbachferner?, for the opera is set around Sölden in the Ötztal, although the original woman on which the character of Wally was based, Anna Stainer-Knittel, actually lived further west in the Lechtal). Photos here.

I enjoyed the evening and found there was plenty of action on the stage. If any other opera-loving skiers are in the area, I would recommend seeing the production. There are further performances on 15.11 and 21.11 and next year on 27.01 and 3.02.

Are there any other operas set in a skiing environment?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
espri wrote:

Apparently Winfrey has a chalet in Telluride... Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Laughing
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Bucketing down here, looks like it' dumping at the Stubaier. Should probably get out of bed and go check it out really...
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Friend told me it was raining even pretty high up, so gave it a miss.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
clarky999, it is a full blown Föhn storm that's why! The closer I got to the mountains today, the warmer and wetter it was! Crying or Very sad
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
espri wrote:

I don't know about Operas, but there is a good theatre play called On The Piste by John Godber which I saw in the 1990s at Derby Playhouse.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Alastair Pink, I saw that too in Harrogate at the same time, really good
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Alastair Pink wrote:
I don't know about Operas, but there is a good theatre play called On The Piste by John Godber

Interesting. Thanks for the link.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Samerberg Sue wrote:
clarky999, it is a full blown Föhn storm that's why! The closer I got to the mountains today, the warmer and wetter it was! Crying or Very sad

Strange. I skied today in Kitzbühel (will report later when I have time). Having heard forecasts of rain and 130 km/hr gusts I started out with trepidation. But there was virtually no rain and hardly any wind, although changeable weather (mist one minute, sun the next). And only minimal Föhn effects.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Samerberg Sue wrote:

Yeah, was hoping there'd be snow above 2000m, but Jerome said it was raining up to at least Gamsgarten!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
clarky999, Looking at the Ischgl webcams you can see it was snowing there this morning certainly above 2200m and lower before clearing up and briefly sunshine breaking through around 1400. Further east sounds like it missed Kitzbuhel, but was raining heavily to the south in Bad Gastein. Until latest dray it looked like the eastern Alps would be cooler, but this shifted suddenly. Shows how unpredictable theorems can be even across relatively small distances.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
nozawaonsen wrote:
was raining heavily to the south in Bad Gastein.

It does look like Gastein drew the short straw today - the rain was pretty bad. Looking at the webcams only slightly further north around Hochkonig, the weather looked nowhere near as bad and appeared pretty clear.
snow report
Kersh, I'd say it came and went all day to be honest. We had everything thrown at us today except cold and snow! Still too warm here. Sad
snow report
Stubai's promo vid for the new 'Powder Department' - basically they 'created' some new offpiste runs, and have a tranny practise park. Not sure if the runs are 'open' yet, looking forward to them though.

http://youtube.com/v/eNd1t6IT6_8&list=UUL110S8417eUOZx_2tkrgjg&index=7&feature=plcp
snow report
Dark and low clouds have blown in today, and looks like the Stubaier's getting some light snowfall atm.
snow report
Just heard the avalanche cannons at Nordkette, which is weird as there's nowhere near enough snow there to merit them (maybe on the back north-facing side, but they don't control that). Wouldn't have thought they'd 'dry test' them? Anyone ever come across bombing to stabilise scree slopes?
snow conditions
Foehn's gone, snowclouds have rolled in. Went up Nordkette to take some snaps:

Snowing in Stubaital:

Clouds starting to roll in/up Nordkette, from the South. Looking down Seilbahnrinne:

Snowclouds all along the Inn valley:

Started snowing just as I left:

Quickly getting heavier:

Turning to rain lower down though:

Bucketing down in Hungerburg:

Final preparations:

ski holidays
clarky999 wrote:
Just heard the avalanche cannons at Nordkette

I heard what sounded like avalanche blasting around here a little while back, near Hochfilzen (large calibre Biathlon?). However, I suspect it was probably just building work. Tragically, an explosives expert was killed in Oberperfuss near Innsbruck yesterday when blasting went wrong at a building site - see report here (in German).
latest report
espri, thanks, that makes a lot more sense!
latest report
Has anyone got an update for Solden? Haven't seen much since the World Cup. Has skiing moved from just off the glacier yet?
snow report
clarky999 wrote:
Just heard the avalanche cannons at Nordkette

Just read today of more blasting work, this time in Kitzbühel. Tirol Milch is making (extending) a shaft alongside the tunnel which takes the road from Kitz to Kirchberg under the Lebenberg - to store 40000 cheeses (300 tons of it). So if any snowHead smells something funny in Kitz, don't worry Laughing
snow conditions
Good amount of snow on the peaks today, was snowing (very lightly) all the way down to the city at times too.
ski holidays
Anyone been to Stubai today or going tomorrow? Just booked a youth hostel in Innsbruck so will be heading there on Sunday, lets hope there is lots of powder Smile
snow conditions
Nope, had work yesterday and today, and tomorrow too. Will be going somewhere on Sunday, not sure where though, Stubai, Ischgl, or skin up somewhere that isn't open yet and so should still have lots of freshies (on what would normally be pistes so should be shark-free) - Arlberg or Axamer Lizum maybe.

A colleague who's parents live in Stubaital said they've had a lot of snow, and is expecting to score pow on Sunday on the glacier. I'll give you a shout if I decide to go to the glacier.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Fri 30-11-12 22:30; edited 1 time in total
latest report
How long will you be about for? I also have Mon, Tue and Wed off, and will likely be at the glacier on at least one of those days.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Decided to skin up Westendorf today, to see how much snow was about. I got up too late, so only made it too the middle station before it got dark (accidentally went the long way up too - and touring fuelled purely by a single espresso probably isn't the ebst way to go about things...). Snow higher up looked great, may have to come back for it. Lower down was a mix of natural and machine-made, mixed with grass - mostly pretty fun to ski though. Managed to ski all the way to the bottom without damaging my skis too much, bonus. Some pics:

Patchy at the bottom, at just under 800m

Car park will be rammed in a few weeks

Lots of snow higher up

More in Westendorf than over on Brixen, anyway. Looked to be even more on the Hohe Salve, probably should ahve gone up there, in hindsight

Trying to get arty - one for the photo comp, maybe?

Lots of snow cannons going, all day

Snow cover above the middle station looked great, might have to come back again before it opens

Pretty dark when I got down. Crap photo, too dark for my auto-focus, too cold to be bothered to mess around with manual focus. Spot my tracks - amazingly very little damage to my skis, skiing over meadows can pay dividends. Was actually able to ski properly all the way down, obviously conditions were better higher up, but more snow than grass even at the bottom.

Got back to Innsbruck to be greeted by decent snowfall, even down in the city. Something should be good tomorrow, now to narrow down the options...
ski holidays
Just looked out the window, about 3 inches of snow in my (sheltered and protected) garden... and still snowing, too. Better get to bed!
snow report
Foiled by the Patscherkofel website, still showed two lifts as open when I got up at 7:30 this morning, got there to find they were closed (only running lifts at the weekend atm). Not enough time to get to Stubai and back before my German course either Crying or Very sad

Didn't seem to have as much snow over on that side either (though the cannons were pumping), a good 10cms on the car this morning, presumably around 20cm or so up top... On top of the snow form the last few days, that bodes well for Nordkette's opening day (this Sat, I think)!
latest report
Nordkette indeed looks much more snowy than when I went up last week (see above):

snow report
Schön! Shovelled 22-26cm from in front of my house this morning. Now the sun's coming out.
latest report
Sun came out and clouds lifted this afternoon, Nordkette and Axamer look to have a lot of new snow. Freezing level went up to around 900/1000m, but there was enough snow below that it only really melted from the roads. As night fell, the clouds dropped again, and it started snowing (pretty heavily) again.
snow conditions
I skied up at Obergurgl on Saturday. Lovely conditions with sun coming through from time to time to give decent light. A lot quieter than I expected as well. Had an excellent lunch in the Hohe Mut Alm. Highly recommend that place.
snow report
Well Stubai was pretty good today... Too far south to get the main hit of the storm, but a decent blizzard was raging still - driving snow, high winds, no visibility, exciting skiing! They reported 10cm of fresh in the morning, was more like 20cm in the right places by the time I made it up. Lapped the Windachferner drag lift a few times, pushing further left each line for continuous freshies, until the traverse back became too much of an effort - just me and some old, rad Austrian dude on tiny touring skis, but tearing it up. I've got work the next three days, but if anyone's free and in the area it's well worth your while heading up!

And oh, look, it's snowing again...
snow report
Was just at Stubai on sunday and had no internet access, it was pretty nice although the light was a little flat at times, not waist deep powder but pretty much soft snow everywhere so a fun, if tiring trip from Munich. I went to some of the Christmas markets in Innsbruck as well, was very pretty all lit up at night Smile
ski holidays
lynseyf wrote:
Was just at Stubai on sunday and had no internet access

Last year I found no mobile phone access on the Stubai glacier (with an eety prepaid card).
latest report
ha no I have a €20 phone from Saturn hence no internet access away from home Smile
snow report
Decided to give the Arlberg a miss, and just ski Nordkette. Was a good decision...

30/40cms if incredibly light and dry powder, bit tracked when we arrived (lazy morning, I was knackered after a 12 hour shift yesterday), but plenty of fresh left in between. No vis as it was still snowing, but a lot of fun. Not many people up so had a good few runs before it started getting really tracked, down now as I should probably tidy the flat up before my 'rents arrive this eve.

Due to the vis we just lapped the lower ski route down to the chairlift, the upper couloirs should be brilliant tomorrow if the sun shines through, don't think anyone has been skiing them today. Run to the bottom wasn't really worth it, very sharky towards the bottom.

Oh, did I mention it's still snowing?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy