Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tirol/Innsbruck Area Snow 2012/13

Poster: A snowHead
It nuked all night, it was nuking when I wok up, it's still nuking now...

Predictably, it was deep...

PS, skiing with a camera out on the end of an outstretched pole is bloody horrible!

And my goggles died - somehow water got between the lenses Sad fogging up when visibility is already crap isn't really good enough...
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

PS, skiing with a camera out on the end of an outstretched pole is bloody horrible!

Regardless, that still photo looks epic Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
More snow last night, sun's come out now... Should probably go skiing but the bacon in the fridge is calling out to be consumed! Looks like more snow is on the way, apparently tomorrow will be good!

Lots of lift closures, challenging avi conditions and wind-affected pow (some really nice, some quite tricky) in the Arlberg yesterday with [b]markymark29[b] and [b]Torbs[/]
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
clarky999, I wonder if your local hills are better in these conditions - perhaps the Arlberg gets too much wind? Or would it be the same around Innsbruck too?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
sah, Quite possibly, the Arlberg doesn't that much in the way of sheltered treeskiing (that isn't prohibited) - though there is Sonnenkopf, I guess. The problem here is finding the 'secret' places that don't get tracked quickly (skinning in or out adds lots of options, but again it's knowing where to go!)! I'm working on it, but there's a lot more to find - I'm still finding new stashes at Nordkette, which is amazing considering the size of the ski area and how much time I've spent there! One of the best things about it is that it's south facing, so whent he weather comes formt he north (which it frequently does), we seem to get extra depth from the wind loading, and then is sheltered from further wind.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Fri 8-02-13 10:55; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Steilhang posted this in another thread, but given it features a lot of stuff around here, thought I'd post it in here too. Features Stubai, Nordkette, Axamer Lizum, pretty sure Schlick, and probably other places too, as well as the Backcountry stuff.

Time for the Whiteroom from Simon Platzer Films
http://vimeo.com/52567025
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
This week has been incredible for snowfall - it just hasn't stopped! Dumping today too, though the sun looks like poking out this afternoon at some point. Supposed to snow tomorrow too... I've got work this afternoon and tomorrow, but Sunday looks like it should be very good too!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Snowing again, 3cms in the city since 10am this morning, presumably a lot more on the hill by tomorrow (touch wood!).
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Sun shining and blue sky in Fieberbrunn. Shows what a difference just a few kms can make.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Same here in Kitz
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Dumping down in Oberbayern - Munich Airport is now affected as well as the Autobahns (A8, A96, A93 as well as the A99). Ben snowing heavily now for several hours!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Still snowing, though fairly lightly - won't be epic, but hopefully good for a 20/25cm day tomorrow.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Heavier snow this morning, time to go skiing!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Only 1cm in Fieberbrunn, time to go shovelling (hardly).
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Wasn't as good as I'd hoped, low vis, 15cms on top of a very breakable crust, old moguls and chop, and other assorted mank. Got a sweet faceplant hitting a chunk of avi debris and supermanning out of my bindings. Pistes were in great condition, chopped up fresh on top of a firm grippy base, very enjoyable run down to the bottom. Retreated now for a tea and bacon. Loads of kids out on snowboarding lessons too, really cool to see how stoked they all are!

DSC01649 by Clarkleberry Finn, on Flickr

These little cuties were waiting for me too:

DSC01565 by Clarkleberry Finn, on Flickr

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Sun 24-02-13 1:09; edited 2 times in total
snow report
Stubai looked good on webcams
snow conditions
northantsred, yeah, seems they had some sun, couldn't be bothered with the bus as I had to be back in IBK for my German course at 2pm, so went to Nordkette which is just up the road from me.
ski holidays
how long does it take on the bus because I can't decide whether we should hire a car or not when we come over for a few days next month.

I am thinking we'll ski Nordkette on our first afternoon, would like to visit Stubai, one of the boys really wants to experience the downhill olympic run at Igls, Schlick looks nice and also Axems . . . will it be easy for us to get around on the busses/tram/trains?
latest report
northantsred, It's around an hour form IBK Hauptbahnhof, €6 something return (may be free with the holiday lift pass). It's all easy to get to on the busses, most for free, though a car will make things a little quicker. Where are you staying? The Hauptbahnhof is pretty much where you'll want to get any of the busses from.

What sort of level skiers are you? Nordkette is great for good skiers (lots of ungroomed) and park skiers, not much in the way of pistes, though for an afternoon warmup if you arrive late probably ideal - good views over the city too. I really wouldn't worry too much about the piste at Patsch, it's just like any other red, not anything special tbh. Unless you want to skin up and ski off the top, Patsch is probably the worst of the resorts around here - or so my friends who came out in early Jan thought (kinda agree tbh, though for a day there's probably enough to keep you interested). Schlick is good, Axamer can be great, Stubai is also v good and definitely worth a visit (not on a storm day though). Maybe worth thinking about a trip to Kuhtai, haven't got round to it yet myself though.
latest report
clarky999, all sounds great!

Stood on the platform Saturday late afternoon at IBK Hauptbahnhof looking at the peaks in the sun it was spectacular setting, a very cool town.

northantsred, consider staying at Ramada Olympicpark hotel, new and great location, very trendy, good vibe and best wellness I've been in. Also pretty cheap via Bookings.com.
snow report
we are booked in to a hotel just round the corner from Ramada in the art hotel binders, looks a bit iffy but we were after 4 single rooms and it is reasonably priced including breakfast and the location looked ok?

Dr.-Glatz-Strasse 20

Innsbruck, 6020
latest report
northantsred, sorry, I don't really know much about any of the hotels here.

Some really nice snow yesterday at Nordkette, 15-20cms of fairly chopped up fresh. Today everything mid-mountain down was pretty sun-f*cked (perils of being south-facing, though with the weather patterns here that also usually means extra wind loading) and unpleasant, didn't try higher up as it was in a cloud (not even a snow cloud). Even worse, some douche decided to go groom the best ski route from the mid station that doesn't commit you to going all the way to the base, goodbye bumps Evil or Very Mad

Time to go find some North-facing terrain...
snow report
Skinned up to the top of Patscherkofel again this morning, lovely conditions, cold and sunny. Was much easier and quicker than hiking up, even with my big skis, though with my little legs kick turns with 190cm skis aren't always so elegant... Some very nice snow on the way down, 6 inches or so of mostly untouched powder on a pretty smooth, consistent base. Quite a bit of surface hoar about, would make things interesting next time it snows...
snow conditions
clarky999, i wasn't looking for an appraisal on the hotel buddy, just an idea of how it's located for getting about and other ameneties etc?

Really looking forawrd to getting out there, Innsbruck looks quite interesting.
latest report
northantsred, About 10/15 minutes walk to the motorway for Axamer/etc, you can probably get a bus from the Tivoli Stadium, about the same distance. Presumably you can get a bus easily to that too. About the same distance to the main Hauptbahnhof where you can get a bus too anywhere, probably 15/20 minute walk to the main city centre/shops (just past the Hauptbahnhof). So a pretty good location really, should be able to get one of the city busses easily to wherever you want to go. Sorry I can't be of much more use, I live on the other side of the city so the only time I see that end is driving through on the main road to go skiing.

I had a lazy day today, gf went for a tour while I was at my German course, she said reasonable snowfall above 1000m (Nordkette side) - no sign of this (or rain) in the city or at my flat as yet though.
ski holidays
Snowing lightly all day, decided to wait for later in the week to do the ski tour we'd planned for today.
latest report
clarky999, thanks for that snippet of info, just had some info come through from the tourism office and it looks as though we can catch a bus from the Ramada Hotel to just about anywhere. Assuming we can get ourselves organised and out there for 8.45. Although it's just the one bus every morning according to this schedule?

Happy sliding.
snow report
northantsred, This is a good website for working out bus journeys and times in/around Innsbruck: http://www.ivb.at/
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Looking good. I'm going to be staying in Innsbruck 1st week of March. I want to do 3 or 4 days of skiing, maybe see a few different hills. I've been looking around for some advice and have only found this:
http://www.ski-buzz.co.uk/2010/12/17/ski-guide-to-olympia-skiworld-innsbruck/

Is it still reasonably up-to-date? Anything to add?

Cheers,

Ian M
snow report
ukinfidel, mostly pretty spot on, however:

- Nordkette only has one real intermediate run, the lower half of which may or may not be worth doing depending on snowcover (it bottoms out at around 800m) - though they often 'close' it when it's still plenty possible to ski as long as you aren't too precious about your skis (most locals will still be skiing/skinning it in such conditions, you can get a reasonable idea from the cable car up). The major attraction is the ungroomed stuff (which is fantastic, and can be as gnarly as you want it), and the park.

- I don't know anywhere in Innsbruck that does 'Apres Ski' - plenty of places for a post-skiing beer, but for real apres you're better off at one of the resorts (Stubai is probably the best for it)

- Rangger Köpfl and Muttereralm are pretty limited for skiing, google them first to see if they're what you're looking for before going
snow report
Been about 20/25ishcm of snow accumulated over the last few days, not enough to make much difference really as obviously it's being skied in between. Heavy low clouds, no visibility, not particularly fun conditions really. Still snowing lightly now. When the clouds lift, hopefully some of the more remote areas will be good, presumably having not been touched while visibility's been so bad.
latest report
clarky999, looking at the piste map for the area, it looks as though Mutteralm is linked with Axer Lizum from Birgitzkopflhaus, is this the actual case because now where that I have read mentions this?

Cheers, Greg
ski holidays
northantsred wrote:
clarky999, looking at the piste map for the area, it looks as though Mutteralm is linked with Axer Lizum from Birgitzkopflhaus, is this the actual case because now where that I have read mentions this?

Cheers, Greg

No (I skinned up to the Birgitzkoepfl today, actually). You can ski from there into Muttereralm, but no lifts from Muttereralm into the Lizum area.

As mentioned, fed up with the low cloud getting in the way or exploring more exciting places, we skinned up from the Axamer access road (from near the Adlerhof - think that's the one) to the top of the Birgitzkoepfl, just to stretch the legs. Actually quite hard work on my big skis/heavy bindings, need to work on my fitness. Nice enough route, not particularly exciting though. A good 30cms of very light powder, not enough gradient on the down to do much more than short turns or straightlines though. There is an extra variation from the top, to circle round the peak above and drop into a fairly steep slope, but with very poor visibility it didn't seem like the best idea. Was bloody freezing too (like, really REALLY cold).

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sun 24-02-13 2:15; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Some pictures from Friday, didn't take too many as it was freezing, cloudy/snowing/low vis, and then started to get dark.

Setting off through the forest, to start with:

DSC01673 by Clarkleberry Finn, on Flickr

DSC01702 by Clarkleberry Finn, on Flickr

DSC01706 by Clarkleberry Finn, on Flickr

Trixi at the top:

DSC01715 by Clarkleberry Finn, on Flickr

The definition of meadow skipping, really nice snow but also really flat:

DSC01721 by Clarkleberry Finn, on Flickr

DSC01726 by Clarkleberry Finn, on Flickr

We've had low clouds and near constant light snowfall pretty much all week, it hasn't really had much chance to accumulate in resort before being skied, but it's building up nicely in the backcountry - conditions should be brilliant when the clouds lift/visibility gets good enough to get into some more interesting terrain.
snow conditions
Snowing quite well in Axamer today, low vis again and I don't know the area too well yet so stuck to the obvious stuff, some nice snow about though.
latest report
Sunny and relatively warm today, with increased avalanche risks. Be careful near any old glide cracks in the snowpack, and watch out for areas with exposed rocks (heat conduction into the snow).
snow conditions
Nice pics, looks as though there is tons of cover.
snow report
Temps have dropped a bit, and it's just started snowing (pretty lightly) again...

Thought I had work this morning, but when I arrived was told I'm not in 'til Thursday Smile Should probably go skiing!
snow conditions
clarky999, ......be rude not to!
latest report
Skied at Kuhtai for the first time today, what a brilliant little resort! Not as much vertical as some places, but we found fresh tracks (not fresh pow, admittedly) literally right under some lifts, barely anyone skiing offpiste at all! Doesn't say much for all the people on the "Great Britain Ski Test' thingy, testing the latest fat skis Laughing Masses of really fun terrain around, short hikes from/back to the lifts open up even more possibilities - that'll have to wait for another day though as we didn't take skins. Terrain goes up to as hard as you want, there's stuff to keep any level of rider happy - pay attention to where you're going as things get quite serious.

While still below freezing it was very sunny (HELLOOO visability!!), with some lovely spring snow. A little bit of light sun crust in places, and lots of older denser consolidated pow - VERY nice skiing in places. Pistes varied from scraped off nasty hardpack to lovely slightly chopped up corn-type snow. Lots of the steeper and more southerly faces had evidence of fresh slides, some of them very big - often starting near exposed rock. Be careful out there, and save the steep stuff for earlier in the day.

No pictures as we got there quite late, and couldn't be bothered faffing about with a camera.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy