Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tirol/Innsbruck Area Snow 2012/13

Poster: A snowHead
Raining here, and webcams are showing some reasonable snowfall at the Stubai, hopefully it continues overnight... Oktoberfest there tomorrow too, would be a shame to miss it wink

With a bit of luck (touchwood, fingers crossed, etc), I might start the season with a powder day again...

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 29-10-12 7:20; edited 5 times in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person

Twisted Evil
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
clarky999, Nice!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
clarky999, Great.
I guess you have been there before so maybe you can help with this:

Can you ski from the top of Schauefeijoch gondola and Eischoj chair straigh to the to the left runs - blue 5 and 5a? As on attached photo - red arrow.
Stubai glacier is on my list of resorts to visit in the next few winters!
Basically I would like to avoid long drag lift but still ski those blue runs. Map is not clear though.

snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Tom W, Can't remember off the top of my head, I'll check tomorrow for you.

Some exciting stuff going on at the Stubai, with their new 'Powder Department:'

Quote:
Stubai Glacier resort will expand its freeride facilities even further in winter 2012/13 with the Powder Department. In addition to the PIEPS training centres for avalanche search and rescue and safety camps, numerous off-piste routes for all levels of ability have been set out. From simple “slope-side” runs, to short hikes and challenging alpine adventures with abseiling, glacier crossing and steep gullies: the selection of routes is extremely varied. Special freeride checkpoints, a freeride map, videos of the runs and freeride runs, which are available as GPS downloads, offer everything you need for off-piste skiing.
++ 10 Freeride-Runs with Freeride Map and GPS Download
++ Clips of the runs offer a detailed description
++ Freeride Checkpoints in the skiing area with run-descriptions, Pieps-Check, avalanche information,...
++ Rental of safety equipment in the sportshop Eisgrat
++ Avalanche rescue training station at Gamsgarten
++ SAAC Camps
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Dammit, snow seems to have eased off now. Hopefully it picks up again overnight - guess we'll see tomorrow!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Tom W, Yes you can, but it mainly used for all the park stuff these days. I was there last October and again before they closed this past summer and each time it was where the park rats were being contained. The park is built up between the two pistes and they make a pretty good fun area as far as I could see. Other than that and saying you've done the runs, it is pretty boring over the back.

clarky999, Still chucking it down here and set for the night, maybe it will slip a bit further south once it gets dark! The forecast for tomorrow is fabulous so might see you thereof the Wies'n virus does not wipe me out completely (vicious flu-like virus that always follows the Oktoberfest).
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Samerberg Sue, Not raining here any more, so I guess powder is probably out, but should be good conditions anyway. If you do come over, keep an eye out for someone with blue salopettes, a yellow jacket and a green helmet, loudly complaining about crippled calves (I won some Merrel barefoot running shoes, but didn't read the instructions about easing into using them... oops [and OUCH!]) and come say hi!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Only skied there for 3 days but it was great.

GO
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Huh. Raining again. Maybe there's hope yet...
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Samerberg Sue, Thanks. Still nice to know I can board this run without using T Bars.
Looks like you can actually ski almost all runs there (bar runs 20,21) without using surface lifts. Quite impressive for a glacier resort.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Tom W, you still have to use the T-bars to get back up to the Joch just below the Schaufelspitze! The Fernau chair is rarely open pre- or post- season. To be honest I cannot remember ever seeing it open but I only ski there in the pre- and post season period. They have just put in a new chair linking the Gamsgarten lifts to replace the older 4-seater, I think it is now a fast 8-seater so they have doubled the capacity plus.

Currently you can only ski down to the Eisgrat top station, but it is snowing quite heavily in the mountains, so who knows, maybe the Gamsgarten lifts will be open soon as well.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Didn't make it over the weekend as my legs were crippled (turned out there wasn't really much fresh snow in the end anyway), apparently going to be 30cms of snow tonight though...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Samerberg Sue, Thanks. Probably we will be there in winter season so Fernau chair should be open.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
From wePowder (who are normally pretty good with this stuff):
Quote:
Wednesday will be a powderday! Game ON!! Big flakes are falling down. In Switzerland they got already 15-40 cm of fresh powder and it's still dumping. The storm is slowly moving east. From Monday till Tuesday the glaciers in Austria will recieve 40-70 cm of fresh powder. Below a picture of Andermatt, Switzerland this morning.
snow conditions
Snowing at the bottom station now too!

ski holidays
Got up at 5:45 this morning to get first lifts, well rewarded with about 40cms of fresh, and the season's first faceshot! (GoPro fogged and I didn't realise 'til too late, so this is the only salvageable shot)

Nordkette got a bit of snow too, probably won;t last long though:

Innsbruck looking wintery:

That's the third time in three years I've started the season here with a powder day (which is weird given Austria is too low to get snow Laughing)...

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 17-10-12 9:51; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Tom W wrote:
Still nice to know I can board this run without using T Bars.

But, if nothing has changed since last year, the lift on those runs (5,5a) is the Gaisskarferner T-bar! And, if my memory is correct, from the top of the Eisjochbahn you have to ski/board down to the Windachferner T-bar and go up that to get over to it (you may be able to walk over with a short uphill). I'm not sure whether there is a direct way from the top of the Schaufeljoch gondola, I rather suspect not (especially on piste). The
3D RealityMaps view of Stubai doesn't seem to show any way down.

The map is a bit confusing. Don't be confused by the piste 5c - that is downhill from the Schaunieder ridge to the bottom of the Gaisskarferner lift. You have to come back up the Pfaffengrat lift - and that wasn't running when I was there last October.

If you're looking for runs without T-bars, maybe piste 10 (reached over 4) would be a better bet. Or piste 7 from the Rotadlkopf (though I can't really remember what that is like).

P.S. Piste 1 down from the Eisjochbahn should be good too. There are several clips in YouTube whic show the area, e.g.
this one.
latest report
espri, Thanks. 3D map is great.
ski holidays
clarky999, nice!
ski holidays
ooh I can get from Munich to Innsbruck in about 2 hours, tempting, tempting Smile
latest report
lynseyf, Warming up now, but the pistes should be in great shape still. There's the Moreboards' freestyle comp this weekend, so could be busy, but hopefully entertaining.
snow report
clarky999, Hungarian and Polish weeks/weekends at Hintertux so that is likely to be busy. The park action at Stubai is over the back, so it does not usually spill over much in terms of park rats all over the pistes. I was up there this weekend last year and had a great time. It could have been better as it was my first time in ski boots after breaking my ankle in 2 places in the summer and the ankle was not too happy but the people I was with had a great time.
latest report
Samerberg Sue, Cool - should be fun anyway. Lots of Polish (and Swedish) racers at the Stubai yesterday, was pretty hilarious tbh - lots of wipeouts as they struggled to deal with the soft conditions and cut up pistes! Still some VERY impressive skiing though!
ski holidays
clarky999, I think it is some kind of holiday week in Poland this week, maybe like a school half term. Loads on the A8 heading your way as well as on to the Kitzsteinhorn tonight as I drove home from work! This weekend the school half terms begin in several German states, so we should see increased traffic flow in the direction of the Brenner and other points south. Bavaria has theirs in the last week of October (starts Monday 29th for a week), so getting to Sölden will be fun if I'm too late setting off! Bavaria seems to pour down to Gardasee in the Spring and Autumn school holidays for some reason, so look out if you are planning to use the Brenner Autobahn to get to the Schonberg exit.
ski holidays
About 15cms of snow in my garden at around 800m (still going too), was snowing down in the city last night too. Apparently 55cms at the Stubaier. Can't go skiing as I have a job interview Sad Hopefully it'll keep snowing 'til tomorrow!
snow report
clarky999, forecast is for Föhn from Weds/Thursday onwards, so get out and enjoy it while you can.
snow conditions
Samerberg Sue, Hmm, maybe I'll go for a hike later then just in case...
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
clarky999, Good luck with the interview, make sure you get 28th Dec off as holiday! wink
ski holidays
TomW,

I don't have the experience of Clary do! But I know a bit of Stubai (and love it!) and could gave you some information about the mountain.

Keep in mind that you'll parking at end of the road, on the very bottom of the glacier (Murtterberger). The ski is mostly at the up half of the mountain.
Taht said, you'll need to chose to go to right(Gamsgarten) or to left(Eisgrat). So take the gondola all the way up to the middle of the mountain.
From the first stop since at the left side, just continue to go up to the top.
The left side is amazing (pistes 5 and 10). If you stop at the bottom of 10 you can get a chair to top of 10, or continue to run down and get back to the Eisgrat gondola and up to the top again.

BTW, consider the central of the mountain either. The pistes are very wide and there are a mix of levels.

Don't waste all of your energy until the end of the day!! Reserve a secure time (about 40min) from the finish of the day, plan to be at the Top and down strait to Gamsgaten and joint to Wilde Gru'n and run down to the base (Murtterberger). Top of the # 7(right side) either get a connection with WideG. You'll experience a very exciting 10 to 14 Km(several levels of difficult) run and end up on the parking lot!! Fantastic.
IMPORTANT - know before you go if the Wilde is open and about the snow conditions there.

Wish you have great ski there!!! snowHead
ski holidays
edu_rio, Welcome to snowHead and thanks for info!
snow report
We are thinking of staying in Innsbruck for a few days around the middle of March with a view to hitting local slopes around the local slopes to the city.

Where would you recommend we must ski? I am already considering a day in Stubai.

We actually have 3 and half days to ski, 4 blokes who are piste bashers mainly although e will look to hit Wilde Gru'n that edu_rio, mentions.

Thanks in advance.
latest report
Markymark29 wrote:
clarky999, Good luck with the interview, make sure you get 28th Dec off as holiday! wink

Cheers - got the job! Will definitely make sure I have the 28th off lol.
snow report
northantsred wrote:
We are thinking of staying in Innsbruck for a few days around the middle of March with a view to hitting local slopes around the local slopes to the city.

Where would you recommend we must ski? I am already considering a day in Stubai.

We actually have 3 and half days to ski, 4 blokes who are piste bashers mainly although e will look to hit Wilde Gru'n that edu_rio, mentions.

Thanks in advance.

Depends a bit on what sort of skiing you like, how happy you are to travel a bit to the slopes (bus or car), and what conditions are like.

I love Nordkette, you can get lifts to it directly form the city centre, it only has two pistes, but you can access a lot of offpiste, and there are a couple of very steep but avalanche controlled couloirs accessed directly from the lifts.

Axamer Lizum should be on your list, one of the bigger areas, but the bus is around 40 mins (I think, could be more or less, it's been awhile and I've only gone with the car before.

Schlick2000 should also be on there, maybe 30mins with the bus?

Patscherkoffel is nearer, I think about 15mins on the bus depending where in Innsbruck you're starting from. Small hill, some nice piste skiing.

Stubai.

Kuhtai is probably also a good bet, this season is the first time it's on my pass, looking forward to trying it.

I think the holiday pass also includes a day at Kitz/St Anton and/or Ischgl, but I'm not 100% on that. Roughly an hour on public transport to them.

Lots of options really...
ski holidays
Great day at the Stubai again. Lots of snow - can still get fresh tracks in places too. Skied a nice little couloir line under the new Rotadl lift, accessed straight from the piste. Snow was about 20cms, pretty dense with a heavy crust on top - not complaining though. Could still do with a bit more snow cover for most of the offpiste. Pistes in great condition, not too firm and getting a wee bit bumpy/cut up later in the day (just the way I like it).

Pictures are crap quality as they're from my phone.

Nordkette isn't so wintery any more (other than high up). The snowy peaks tempted me into trying to skin up yesterday, but whilst there was lots of snow on the bushes, there was none on the paths/tracks/pistes. Hiked up about 2k in ski boots, gave up and went down for a beer instead.
ski holidays
Congratulations on getting the job, clarky999!
snow report
Kitzbuehl has opened a couple of lifts/slopes, offering cheap tickets to them too. Not my photo, but snow cover looks good!

latest report
clarky999, thank you for that info it is most useful as I don't know the area at all although one of my pals was in Innsbruck some time past.

Congrats on the job win!
snow report
northantsred, No worries. Turns out you they don't do the 'Super Ski' pass anymore, so no St Anton/Kitz/Ischgl (at least as far as I can see, would be interested if anyone knows otherwise as I have some friends coming out for New Year).

This is what you get:

http://www.innsbruck.info/en/experience/winter-holidays/ski-areas-ski-passes/ski-areas-ski-passes.html
snow report
A lot of (new) snow on the Nordkette peaks today, when they poked out through the clouds. Had to work today, hopefully will still be able to find some fresh at Stubai tommorrow.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy