Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sir, Sir....Am I an Intermidiot yet???

Poster: A snowHead

http://youtube.com/v/1z6QgX7JIDo
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Relaxed and I'm sure it was fun.

To my mind carving is leaving parallel 'railroad' tracks in the snow.

What I saw in your video is too much balance on the inside of the turn on the uphill ski with narrowing at the tails and deflection at the tips resulting in a 'herringbone' shape.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mike Pow wrote:

What I saw in your video is too much balance on the inside of the turn on the uphill ski with narrowing at the tails and deflection at the tips resulting in a 'herringbone' shape.
Thanks for commenting.
Yep me too, but that's to be expected given that I'm not extending my outside leg effectively and remaining too flexed at the knees & lack forward lean at the waist.
There's deficient pedalling action and so the transfer is late and somewhat staccato.
The timing, rate & range of my movements can be improved on vastly. But to my mind that's ok for someone at my level.

I used the title "carving" simply for referencing my edits, perhaps "railing or edged turns" would be more apt due to me not actively decambering and accurately piloting the skis through the arc due to the above.
It'll come.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Cross post.

You could do a lot worse than working on the stuff in the vid

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=117290

Pivot then edge
Progress to carving
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
https://www.europeansnowsport.com/blog/what-is-good-skiing-part-1-the-basics/
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Good article.

Nice and smooth, high speed dyanamic stemming rolling eyes
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mike Pow wrote:

Yes, but technically it could also be one clean track in the snow, eg from a snowboard or a skier on one edge (be that the inside or outside edge) with the other ski in the air (or left behind on the mountain (either due to accidental release or as an exercise)).

NehNeh
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
lampbus wrote:
Mike Pow wrote:

Yes, but technically it could also be one clean track in the snow, eg from a snowboard or a skier on one edge (be that the inside or outside edge) with the other ski in the air (or left behind on the mountain (either due to accidental release or as an exercise)).

NehNeh

Would love to see the vid of one ski clean carving from a recreational skier.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'd like to see it from an Instructor
Do you have demo vids Mike?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I did A LOT of one ski carving during my L2, but sadly I don't seem to have any video of it, just 2 skis carving!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
franzClammer wrote:
I'd like to see it from an Instructor
Do you have demo vids Mike?

Born with two legs, use them both.

Don't do 1 leg/ski drills. The odd uphill foot/ski tapping when needed.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@franzClammer, First take Toofy Grin

https://vimeo.com/24766696
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much

http://youtube.com/v/sjMsvSof5O8

http://youtube.com/v/vrsEeoIpSBE
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
skimottaret wrote:

Impressive.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
but he forgot a ski Wink
snow report
@skimottaret, Very Happy Mind you, I've seen that particular instructor fall over doing that. wink
ski holidays
@Pedantica, nah that was doing 360's on one ski , or should I say "trying" to do.. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
@skimottaret, you seem to be implying that I've only seen that instructor fall over once... Toofy Grin
latest report
You don't learn how to do one leg 360's without falling over trust me! I could put up a little video of you falling over and then using bad language wink wink Little Angel Little Angel
snow report
@skimottaret, yes you could, and the sad thing is I wasn't even trying to do anything fancy. rolling eyes
snow conditions
@Pedantica, just teasing, good that you fell over having a go !!
ski holidays
Little Martin wrote:
but he forgot a ski Wink

Nah! skiing on one ski is the sign of a true cheapskate NehNeh

They will do anything to save money wink
ski holidays
@skimottaret, guess it depends what you're having a go at. I only fell over twice on the Birthday Bash. The first time I was trying to step into my ski and missed. The second time I was standing stock still, talking to someone. There is no honour in such falls, at least yours are incurred in the honourable pursuit of showing off excellence.
latest report
@skimottaret,Bravo that man, respect due. Someone who puts their money where their mouth is Cool

This is not quite one legged carving or 360's
More sight seeing on planks than skiing really.

http://youtube.com/v/ct_CDj1QTTA
ski holidays
skimottaret wrote:

Ooh, that looks good, I don't think I could do it particularly on my Gotamas.

It is hard to tell from the camera angle, but it looks like you ware a little weight back and the turns were achieved by shoving the tail of the ski about. (I don't know the technical term for that - steering by twisting the ski? or skidded turns?)

Before my ACL damage/repair, I was able to just about carve on both edges of the same ski (either) for perhaps 10 turns on green grade slopes. I was finding that I was starting to control the carve radius, and also break in/out of a skidded turn, on my old volkl 5*s Smile
Since then, I have been busy learning other skiing technique, and mostly on my wide&long Gotamas, which combined with a certain caution means I have not got on my outside edges properly for a few years...there is always more to learn / relearn in skiing.

Yes, most of us have two skis & legs, and most of my skiing is done that way...but there is always the odd time when the terrain catches one out and being able to recover poise using those unusual edges from way-out-west (or east) has been very useful.

It has to happen instinctively in the moment, so needs practice in controlled tests.
snow conditions
Don't know how I achieved the turns as I was just farting about.... Probably a little back at the end as I didn't want to kill the cameraman Wink So if the camera angle doesn't allow you tell where the weight is have a look at the tracks left in the snow. Do they imply the ski skidding or do the tracks in the snow look clean and cut by an edged ski?

Point being is just do, don't think too much, your body will work it out, right @franzclammer ?
ski holidays
@skimottaret, D'accorde mon aime' Cool
snow report
@skimottaret,
Quote:

Don't know how I achieved the turns as I was just farting about
Substitute the words 'musical line' for 'turns' in the above, and it is exactly the phrase I used to my singing teacher about two hours ago. She was a bit shocked.
Embarassed

@franzClammer,
Quote:

D'accorde mon aime
Aargghhh. Your 'French' causes me pain.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Single edge carving?

I'll get my mono......
ski holidays

http://youtube.com/v/ghXqwboFPbs
snow report
I saw a race team in courchevel 1650 doing what I can only describe as the reverse of the stork drill, they were carving down a gentle blue (ariondaz) at speed but always lifting the downhill ski before the next turn I was next to then and the were definitely not skidding.
ski holidays
To do a DB:

http://youtube.com/v/HV6KfApxrAk

Plus an explanation:

http://youtube.com/v/_3YQbz-VEBI
ski holidays
@meh, I think that one is different to what @ansta mentions but all theses single leg drills are very useful for edging skills, movements and lateral balance.

I don't like posting random drills but I like this clip as there is a very detailed description by the athlete as to her understanding of it and why it works for her. I wouldn't recommend this variation for recreational skiers but @ansta was it something like this ?

http://youtube.com/v/Bh7KF49GzOc
latest report
franzClammer wrote:
http://youtube.com/v/1z6QgX7JIDo

FC - that's not carving. You're kicking your heels out to initiate a turn, and sliding round. Your body is very immobile (possibly because you're trying to hold a camera on yourself?), and you're neither rolling your ankles to help your skis over, nor angulating at all to use your edges.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Thu 19-02-15 11:13; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
franzClammer wrote:
Mike Pow wrote:

Thanks for commenting.
Yep me too, but that's to be expected given that I'm not extending my outside leg effectively and remaining too flexed at the knees & lack forward lean at the waist.
There's deficient pedalling action and so the transfer is late and somewhat staccato.
The timing, rate & range of my movements can be improved on vastly. But to my mind that's ok for someone at my level.

I used the title "carving" simply for referencing my edits, perhaps "railing or edged turns" would be more apt due to me not actively decambering and accurately piloting the skis through the arc due to the above.
It'll come.

Just saw your post stating that your "carving" vid was not meant to be of you carving - OK, fair enough! Smile

I get the distinct impression from your posts, and indeed this whole thread, that you have learned what all of these technical terms you use in your posts mean, but have limited ideas how to really put them into practice, or what they mean to interact together. You seem to have nailed various tricks and techniques, but seem to struggle to put them together into a coherent whole and leap to the next level?

Warren Smith or similar, my friend! And get into bumps and off-piste with an instructor - it will bring you on loads more than a fridge can. Et bonne chance Cool

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Thu 19-02-15 17:12; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@franzClammer, Must say, you're looking alot more comfortable and relaxed on your skis.
How do you feel after the 2 consecutive weeks? I reckon you're in a comfort zone...Time to hit a few mogul fields Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
@Harry Flashman, Yeh it's easier to talk the talk than walk the walk.
I know I have forced the techniques and fundamentals, this is my 4th winter skiing and so definitely lack the mileage/years to allow for flow and consistency to naturally develop in my performance.
@ALQ, I did indeed get into some black bumps with an instructor from Marmalade for a couple of mornings, I did develop my transition and learn to extend a bit more, applying pressure from much earlier and trying to transfer seamlessly from one ski to the other, but I'd given up filming by that time and then alas it was time to come home.
Thanks for your comments guys
Here's some footage from the 1st couple of days.

http://youtube.com/v/iXGhUMtozco
snow report
skimottaret wrote:
@meh, I think that one is different to what @ansta mentions but all theses single leg drills are very useful for edging skills, movements and lateral balance.

I don't like posting random drills but I like this clip as there is a very detailed description by the athlete as to her understanding of it and why it works for her. I wouldn't recommend this variation for recreational skiers but @ansta was it something like this ?

I love doing those and also Whitepass Turns. Sooo much fun!
latest report
skimottaret wrote:

Is there any purpose to the double pole plant she does in that vid?
snow report
the drill in that video might be a bit much for many of us, but I guess it's similar to doing a one-legged drill at a slower and more manageable speed, just picking up the inside ski earlier in the turn as you get better at it? The key is waiting patiently and not rushing the turn, I suppose. Which she mentions.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy