Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sir, Sir....Am I an Intermidiot yet???

Poster: A snowHead
olderscot wrote:
Woohoo. Nice to see you back. I was starting to worry you'd disappeared.
Mike

Cheers. I've been so busy teaching, and it's likely to be even busier during half term. Madeye-Smiley

Thanks for your thoughts.
I've been experimenting with trying to blend the "standing/balancing on/loading the outside ski" together with the unloading of the inside ski. I'm trying to develop & utilise the "pedalling" motion that is encouraged from snowplow phase. (think I was absent that day Embarassed ) all very basic stuff.
I need to work on the timing. I'm overcooking it all at the mo.
There's still the opening of the knee to get up n forward to work on & keeping the skis parallel at the start of the turns. I'm also finding a bit of over-rotation of my torso is creeping in now that my turns are more linked.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
abd wrote:
@franzClammer, have you've put the vid up to get some more feedback? Got some thoughts, but what do you see? What 1 thing do you want to work on?

Hi Ya
Primarily I posted the footage for those that enjoy following the development from Intermidiot to Novice Instructor. But comments are more than welcome.
I don't know if my previous post answers your question but in summary.........The 1 thing I'm working to fix is....
To establish a stable platform on my outside ski.
This should help eradicate the stem & falling inside the turn as well as the tripping over my inside ski cos they aint parallel.
However it seems easier said than done & requires me to correct my posture, get over my pivot points, & manage the forces.
I'm only now just starting to acquire a feel properly for what angle my skis are at, so as far as skiing from the feet up it's still very early days in my development.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@franzClammer, I'd ignore the unloading of inside ski. Providing you are well balanced on the outside ski at the start of the turn there is no need to actively unload the inside ski. For example, do you actively unload your inside foot when you walk? Or do you just firmly plant the foot you are about to transfer your balance on to. From a very brief look at your video your active unloading of the inside ski means you are picking it up, and when it is up in the air it's going to get in to mischief...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@franzClammer, I only twigged the "pedalling" motion last year about 20 years into my very disjointed skiing career (if you can call it that), it was a bit of a lightbulb moment for me, but as Rob said all I was working on was getting early onto the outside ski!

I'm sure @rob@rar, is too modest to say so but I know both he and the rest of the IoS crew would have some very pertinent drills for what you are trying to do, perhaps a session where they do the thinking may reap bigger rewards in a shorter space of time?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The only time I think about actively unloading my inside ski is in longs, when I have time in the turn to progressively shorten my inside leg to increase edge angle, and even then the unloading doesn't lift the inside ski. This focus happens in the load phase of the turn, not the setup phase, and it's rare these days that the slope is quiet enough at Hemel to make those kinds of turns. For other situations I just focus on making sure I set up the turn well, which means on firm snow standing on the outside ski, and the inside ski looks after itself.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
kitenski wrote:
@franzClammer, I only twigged the "pedalling" motion last year about 20 years into my very disjointed skiing career (if you can call it that), it was a bit of a lightbulb moment for me

Lightbulb moment for me too when it was first introduced to me a couple of years ago Smile This is the one thing I always go back to when I need to re-focus, if it's all getting a bit much I just keep pedalling Laughing
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Intermediate Ski Lesson #3.2 - Clutch / Accelerat…:
http://youtube.com/v/DTkyqZjUMYQ
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@franzClammer, Check lesson 4.1 Idea
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Looking at the video you are still doing small stem turns. I know there have been lots of comments about standing on the outside ski and I am sure this is true. However, I think the issue is that you have not released the edge on the old downhill ski before you move to the new downhill (outside) ski. This is common and is a bit of a security blanket.

So my view is you need a pole plant and more "up" motion (can hear a ski teacher in my head) at the end of the turn to release the edge and more into the new one. I don't think you have this step between your turns and this is where it is going wrong.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
SkiingQuinHat wrote:
So my view is you need a pole plant and more "up" motion (can hear a ski teacher in my head) at the end of the turn to release the edge and more into the new one. I don't think you have this step between your turns and this is where it is going wrong.

please don't start to introduce an "up" motion, I've spent five years getting rid of this habit.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I still don't get the "just stand on your outside ski and forget about the inside one". Just standing flat on a ski doesn't turn it, don't you need to edge and/or steer it too?
At the end of the day we are just bending two pieces of wood with metal edges. Carving (medium to long turns) is about rolling the skis over from edge to edge and putting increasing pressure on them, then letting it off in a controlled fashion isn't it? (repeating in both directions). To bend a piece of wood into a symetrical curve then the weight/pressure needs to be in centre of the piece of flexible wood.

It looks to me as though FC (sorry to talk about you as if you aren't here Franz) is pressuring, steering and then attempting to get an edge causing the tails to swish out and a skarve at the beginning of the turn (not to mention a smattering of stemming here and there). Would it not be better for FC to get an ever so slight outside edge first and then put pressure (stand) on it as he rolls his edges over simultaneously?

IMHO the outside leg follows the inside. If you don't believe me then stand in front of the mirror, put you ski boots and skis on while on a carpeted surface. Simulating a turn to the left - start by rolling your outside edge (right leg first) to the left - do your knees and edges remain parallel or is there a slight delay causing a "knock on effect"? Then try it again by rolling your left leg to the left first, which works better? I find the latter works much better.

To me "balancing the middle of your ski boot (under the arch of your foot) on the inside edge of the outside ski" is a more accurate instruction than "just stand on your outside ski", albeit a longer one.

Active steering of the inside leg takes the whole concept even further ....
http://www.icesi.org/technique-steering-with-your-inner-leg.asp
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
FWIW I was doing ugly stem turns until just recently. IMO all this talk about weighting and in weighting various skis is just confusing the issue. I think fC stem is being caused by the same issue that mine was. He is trying to force the turn to happen too quickly and isn't giving himself time to 'tap' and stand on the outside ski. I found it was easily solved by this simple step and I an sure that a lesson with rob@rar would soon see if our friends slight stem problems
! are solvable
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Megamum, +1 rob@rar (& skimottaret) helped with my stem too, but it was a drive down the hill for me. Standing up, vertically, will put you in the back seat. Standing up, perpendicular to the slope/ski was the key....perhaps that's your pole plant pulling you forward?
For me, it was also a timing issue (still not completely cured), which I think fC has too....
...he will grow out of it if he goes a bit faster Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@DB, 'stand on the outside ski' is not the same as 'stand flat on the outside ski' which is advice no ones given. I think the point people are trying to get across is that Franz needs to bring his weight across earlier which will correctly load the new outside ski so that he can carve a turn. I agree with Megamum in that a lot of his problems stem from trying to turn before his ducks are in a row. Which has been a persistent problem for many tens of pages going back to when he used to trip himself up with the inside ski.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I think franzClammer is making good progress with this. His default move used to be to push his skis sideways to create the turn, often pushing his outside ski first (or further), in doing so creating a stem. That happens much more rarely now, although you can sometimes see the tendency to push the tails of the skis out too quickly without really engaging the edges sufficiently. The advice I gave earlier was to not focus on unloading inside ski as I think for FC that's an unnecessary distraction, advice which I think I would give to lots of people. It's a fairly small bit of detailed feedback, more about fine-tuning than a completely different focus.

The "pedalling" analogy is an interesting one - unless you have cycling shoes with clips which fix to the pedals, you don't actually pull up the 'inside' foot, all the work is done by pressing down with the 'outside' foot. I think there's a danger if the focus is too much on unloading the inside ski it's not going to help the set-up phase of the turn. This might lead to a greater period/intensity of imbalance at transition, when the instinctive response might be to push the outside ski sideways a bit more to help the change in direction.

As ever, keep it simple. On firm snow the outside ski does most of the work. If you want to ski with performance, focus on your movements which are most important in creating and shaping the turn.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Wed 29-10-14 10:20; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Yeah definitely I didn't mean to imply Franz wasn't steadily getting better. Very Happy
ski holidays
I'd definately not be encouraging Franz to ski faster @ALQ, I'd really encourage you to slow down Colin. I believe you'll develop the "better movements" @rob@rar's been referring to more effectively by slowing down & doing some plough parallel turns. This way you have the added advantage of getting more turns in on each run and therefore more efficient training.

In looking at that most recent vid, I'm not seeing much "lengthening / shortening" of the legs going on; it's therefore very difficult to be standing on the outside ski. Whilst @kitenski is spot on about the movement not being up down, there is a vertical element of it. I would suggest have a go doing some plough parallels and at the start of the turn move towards the tip of the new outside ski (so that's forward or down the hill by lengthening the outside leg) and over that outside ski. How about reporting back what you feel?
ski holidays
Yes franzClammer is getting better - it's getting harder to identify what he could do better.
One turn runs into another and if you are not setup at the end of one turn it's hard to put in the next turn properly.
To me carving is not about "standing on skis" but "balancing on both edges"- you do this by rolling the skis, not standing on one ski and dragging (or pushing) the inside ski along for the ride.
Could be the camera angle but it looks as though franzClammer's drags his inside ski behind at the start of the turn and then pushes it forward to compensate. He's actually built in a very slow Ali Shuffle into each pair of left and right ski turns wink

The inside ski looks to be tripping him up, causing different edge angles, slight stems etc. Someone else said his his one legged skiing was better - I agree.
Yes most of the forces are created with the outside ski but it need's to be set up properly. If the inside ski at the end of the turn is too far forward it's very difficult to balance on that ski and change it's use from inside to outside ski.

I'd like to see some footage of franzClammer trying to make turns by only concentrating on edging. Putting pressure only on the inside cuff of the boots directly either side of the ankles.

If you only push with your right leg to make a movement to the left then the inside of your right knee hits your left knee = steming etc.
If you let the left leg collaspe in a controlled fashion while turing it over the right leg will automatically follow the left and take the majority of the weight.
Trying to do this with feet that are out of line (feet apart but one slightly in front of the other) results in many of the small problems I see with franzClammer's skiing.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Thu 30-10-14 7:15; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
DB wrote:
To me carving...
He's not trying to carve his turns.
latest report
rob@rar wrote:
DB wrote:
To me carving...
He's not trying to carve his turns.

lol! what is he trying to do then, skid one legged turns? Short turns? Skarved turns?

I'm not going to go back 94 pages but I seem to remember putting up an example of a skier carving and FC saying that was what he was trying to do.

Thankfully the search function works - page 80. Short carved turns.
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2558180&highlight=trying#2558180

http://youtube.com/v/l5gnnZXoDK0#t=117
snow conditions
Blend rotational steering and edging. Just about to drive to Manchester so can't give a filler reply, but I'm sure others will chip in to continue the conversation.
snow report
@rob@rar, you coming to ski oooop north? Toofy Grin
snow report
Quote:

Blend rotational steering and edging

and isn't that what most of us spend much of our time doing? I suspect much of the time people think they're "carving", they're really not.
ski holidays
Sorry the carving thing is totally my fault I mentioned it up thread on this page.

@DB, he might be trying to ultimately but I'm not sure that's what he's trying to emulate in his latest video.
snow report
@meh. I think we just have to wait for franzClammer to turn up and hope that he knows what he was trying to achieve. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
DB wrote:
..wait for franzClammer to turn up and hope that he knows what he was trying to achieve. Toofy Grin

With his skiing or (the way this thread is going) with his existence in this particular universe? Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
sarah wrote:
Sadly not, here to visit the BBC.
latest report
rob@rar wrote:
sarah wrote:
Sadly not, here to visit the BBC.

It's a very short drive from the BBC to CFe ( and it is on the way back to the motorway ) wink
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@franzClammer, Bit difficult to see what he's doing, but some practice for you...

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2599611#2599611
snow report
@pam w, +1
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Blend rotational steering and edging

and isn't that what most of us spend much of our time doing? I suspect much of the time people think they're "carving", they're really not.
Yes, that's right. Not that I'm saying that blending steering elements is a bad thing, it absolutely isn't. I don't put 'carving' as the pinnacle of skiing, it's just one skill among other equally useful skills. A good skier will have available to them a wide range of skills, including the ability to infinitely vary the blend of steering elements to match the conditions and how they want to ski them.
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:

A good skier will have available to them a wide range of skills, including the ability to infinitely vary the blend of steering elements to match the conditions and how they want to ski them

Couldn't agree more! There is no one ''correct' way to ski as you are always adapting for things such as terrain, snow and weather conditions etc
The more skiing tools you have at your disposal, the better.
latest report
@rob@rar, and a really good skier will be able to spoof it so that it looks like they're doing one thing while actually doing another... wink
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
@rob@rar, and a really good skier will be able to spoof it so that it looks like they're doing one thing while actually doing another... wink
One of my trainers continues to berate me with "good skiers make subtle changes, they don't try to kill every snowflake on the mountain". I'm still trying to find my subtle.
ski holidays
@rob@rar, snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
Can someone tell me what they mean when they talk about opening the (ankle or knee) joint? Do you simply mean not locking the joint out straight?
snow report
@lynseyf, Hi Ya. I take it to mean to extend the appendage, be that leg or arm etc, to "Open the knee joint" would be to stand taller as opposed to squatting. In the Ankle you would lessen the flex, as if pushing the accelerator peddle in a car
At least that's my interpretation, either that or pass the rizla papers Laughing
snow report
For anyone finishing their shadowing...........this is a sample of my sessions at Hemel in November. There are heaps more sessions available but you could get burnt out quite easily. Homelife & distance prevents me doing more, but getting the 70hrs teaching required for L2 requirements has come n gone. Hoping to get some piste mileage this season in resort & some professional input.
Sarah how does it compare to up north, are you busy?

Private Ski Lesson 1 hour (Beginners)
01/11/2014
14:00 - 15:00
Private Ski Lesson 1 hour (Level 3 or 4)
01/11/2014
15:15 - 16:15
01/11/2014
16:30 - 17:30
Private Ski Lesson 1 hour (Level 2)
01/11/2014
18:15 - 19:15
01/11/2014
19:45 - 20:45
01/11/2014
21:00 - 22:00

Private Ski Lesson Infant (3-5 years) 0.5 hrs
04/11/2014
17:15 - 17:45
Youth Group Sledging 1 hr
04/11/2014
18:00 - 19:00
Private Ski Lesson 1 hour (Main Slope)
04/11/2014
19:45 - 20:45

Youth Group Sledging 1 hr
08/11/2014
17:00 - 18:00
08/11/2014
18:15 - 19:15
Adult Apres Social Ski Weekend Lesson - Level 6
08/11/2014
19:30 - 21:30

Private Ski Lesson 1 hour - SPECIAL REQUEST
12/11/2014
18:00 - 19:00
University Ski Course 1.5 hr
12/11/2014
19:15 - 20:45
latest report
@franzClammer, similar, there's lots going on evenings and weekends, less during the weekdays snowHead
ski holidays
Quote:

Adult Apres Social Ski Weekend Lesson - Level 6

Is the Snow Center level 6 still Early Intermediate? I would kind of be expecting that to require a BASI Level 2 instructor.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy