Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sir, Sir....Am I an Intermidiot yet???

Poster: A snowHead
abd,
Quote:

whilst doing either braquage or sideslips do you want to have a completely flat ski?
If that's the only way to get the skis to slide down the slope, then yes, intermittently. (But I know nothing.)
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
DB wrote:
I think we all need to book a group lesson with franzClammer at the same time, someone please bring a BASI Manual too so we can revert to the Oracle when any of us are being a bit too thick.

Confused of Vienna.

I work Tues, Weds & Sats Laughing Laughing
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
abd wrote:

So, here's a question for everyone to argue about: whilst doing either braquage or sideslips do you want to have a completely flat ski? Debate

It depends wink
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
abd wrote:
So, here's a question for everyone to argue about: whilst doing either braquage or sideslips do you want to have a completely flat ski? Debate

No! I prefer my skis to be curled up at the ends Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
DB, Laughing
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Sideslips - no - are you nuts?

Bracquage apparently contrsry to my previous understanding based on rob's version -yes.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Dave of the Marmottes,
Quote:

Sideslips - no - are you nuts?
Obviously not on a steep slope. But otherwise?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
No the proper sideslip aesthically involves the creation of micro corduroy. Without edging there is no side. I'm not overly convinced of pure flat bases at anytime being a useful skill, beyond transitionally, if you're not a speed or park skier.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Dave of the Marmottes, well yes, that's why I said 'intermittently' - the corduroy is created by flattening/edging, flattening/edging. Or am I missing something?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Dave of the Marmottes, you ever ski in moguls and have to rotate your skis under you?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Sure. But it's transitional not the raison d'etre. I'll freely admit that I'm a little base averse which is why my only encounters with boxes on both skis and board have resulted in big bruises. There's security in a bit of edge and things can go pearshaped pretty quickly when you don't have it.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'm relieved to find that this thread hasn't imploded while I've been elsewhere Cool

Ah, Braquage: the grown-ups version of the squiggly plough glides I was trying to describe earlier Wink

The same trainer that taught me that exercise also suggested that, in braquage, you should avoid going beyond 45° to either side. Sadly, I never quizzed him as to why. Possibly because it encourages the skier to sit back - I dunno.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
altis wrote:

The same trainer that taught me that exercise also suggested that, in braquage, you should avoid going beyond 45° to either side. Sadly, I never quizzed him as to why. Possibly because it encourages the skier to sit back - I dunno.

The leg has a limited range of motion within the hip socket. Once you reach this limit then the upper body has to become involved if you want to keep the ski twisting and this is not the point of the exercise.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
franzClammer, hi mate, sorry to pinch your thread, but it gets a lot of traffic and I hope your won't mind. There is a fairly new SH - Styler who I encouraged to post some video in the hope of getting some feedback. They have done so here http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=112982#2591002 I do hope some of our instructors might do some of that productive feedback you are all so good at for them. In fact fC you might even be able to help them yourself?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Megamum, non preoccuparti Bella Very Happy
latest report
Kenny, that rings a bell. Perhaps I knew and just forgot.
snow report
Dave of the Marmottes, right so if working a flat ski is an important component in skiing moguls well why not drill that skill so it becomes second nature when you need to do it?
ski holidays
Yep - I get it. I guess I'm only identifying the fact that drills are generally for the purposes of practicising an element and there is a difference from real world skiing. I can't think of many real world circumsatnces where flat base braquage would be seriously employed - if you're somewhere tight enough to need to be pivoting round so acutely chances are you'd want to be getting an edge in pretty sharpish too.

That and perhaps a feeling that thanks to the cult of Wozzer braquage might be something that is slightly overdone and that there is a danger that pupils go away thinking that being good at the drill is the point in itself rather than learning and blending control of the element (not suggesting that you don't contextulise things properly of course wink )
snow conditions
We are singing off the same hymn sheet then Wink another thing to consider is doing drills on a flat ski like pivot slips are not a means to an end to learn but rather done to encourage other useful movements. By eliminating edging completely you must use a different movement to turn the skis that is typically missing in most late intermediates and advanced skiers... Warren may over egg that a bit but it is a useful skill to possess. I use another flat ski drill for a completely different purpose and although simple in theory most advanced skiers would struggle with it...

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Fri 17-10-14 13:48; edited 1 time in total
latest report
skimottaret wrote:
I use another flat ski drill for a completely different purpose and although simple in theory most L1 instructors like FC would struggle with it...

Is that the sound of a gauntlet thrown down?
Do show me at least before pigeon holeing "L1's Like Me" Puzzled elaborate please
ski holidays
oops sorry have edited post
snow report
skimottaret wrote:
oops sorry have edited post

Would have preferred the demo Toofy Grin
snow conditions
no tape but see if you can ski straight down the lower part of Hemel in a perfectly straight line with only one ski on the deck while hopping that ski off the ground, keeping the ski parallel to the snow... good balance and movement exercise and hard to do if you are overflexed at the knee joint or lack lateral seperation Wink

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Fri 17-10-14 13:59; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
So what's the drill and what's the purpose (beyond ritual humiliation or instructor showing off -which we take as a given wink )?
ski holidays
skimottaret, thanks Scott. Am working to open the knee without heel lift at the mo. Will give that a bash 🎿
latest report
I'm trying to get into a more outcome focused mindset.
I'm finding that the elements and phases of my turns are easier to manage if I think of them as outcomes. Eg. Flex & Extend in response to forces, Inclination of skis & Angulation as a result of the turning arc and slope aspect, Pressure on O/S ski as a result of the rotary/Edging of the skis and lightening of the I/S Ski.
snow conditions
skimottaret wrote:
no tape but see if you can ski straight down the lower part of Hemel in a perfectly straight line with only one ski on the deck while hopping that ski off the ground, keeping the ski parallel to the snow... good balance and movement exercise and hard to do if you are overflexed at the knee joint or lack lateral seperation Wink

Not sure I can do that on a perfectly flat foor with one foot so I suspect I know where you can stick your drill wink
snow conditions
Perhaps first try to flex up and down on dry land with one foot off the deck while in ski boots, then see if you can do little hops without losing balance, once able to do that try hopping on one foot on a flat slope without moving, then progress to doing it while moving down the slope, then do it without poles, alternating legs, switch etc (youget the picture...) Functional ski fitness and balance are important parts of skiing that get overlooked
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
franzClammer wrote:
I'm trying to get into a more outcome focused mindset.
Excellent. Thinking about varying your focus to include inputs and outputs is good for your development (and good for your teaching, I'd guess). Focusing exclusively on one aspect or the other means you miss out on using an important tool.
latest report
skimottaret wrote:
Perhaps first try to flex up and down on dry land with one foot off the deck while in ski boots, then see if you can do little hops without losing balance, once able to do that try hopping on one foot on a flat slope without moving, then progress to doing it while moving down the slope, then do it without poles, alternating legs, switch etc (youget the picture...) Functional ski fitness and balance are important parts of skiing that get overlooked

Umm . . . some people don't ski in boots made by Ugg . . . wink
snow report
no but they should be able to flex the boots they ski in...
snow conditions
skimottaret, Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Though, you may want to consider adding the exercise of releasing the leg(s) upward without the initial downward pressure (absorption) to the mix. Helps to avoid those butt puckering moments when you find yourself a metre or two off the ground when that wasn't the intention. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
I've been in hibernation for the summer and come back to find franzClammer, has passed his BASI Lv 1 and seems to be teaching?! Well done! Flicked back to the start of this thread and watched your compilation video, highlights how far you've come in a relatively short amount of time. What the plans next? Lv 2? I think I might have considered giving it a go just as a challenge but live 2.5 hours from the closet fridge so doesn't really make sense as it would be difficult to get the shadowing hours in.

However seeing as though I'm increasingly doing most of my skiing solo getting some instructor qualifications and working for a company like Interski for 2-4 weeks a season might be up my street in future. We'll see anyhow.

May I ask what you do for a day job franzClammer, ? I'm always interested to hear how people manage there ski time around work/family commitments.

My wife came in the other day and said we should take 6 months off and go and do a season, however it's too short notice for this season so hoping for next!
snow report

http://youtube.com/v/Rmt69P1eXWU
snow report
Notice two things:

1. How gentle the slope is.
2. How difficult is is to not look at the skis wink
latest report
Quote:

some people don't ski in boots made by Ugg . . .

but we should be able to hop? Easiski uses a lot of hopping exercises - knackering, but frightfully good for one! Then she tells some people that their boots are too stiff and/or ankles not sufficiently mobile. I bet a lot of people do have boots that are too stiff (though this can also be down to a poorly fitting boot, I think I read recently on another thread).

I also did one-footed exercises on a shallow track, with Fastman, shifting weight fore and aft. Must try to add in a hop - though I'm not sure I'll be able to do it, I find even two footed hopping hard work. Useful stuff to do on flat bits. Spinning round and going backwards is, too, but I can't do that, can't spin at all these days, even on a floor in a pair of socks. But that needs flat skis too. FC is rather good at it, judging from some of his videos.
snow conditions
Bene wrote:
My wife came in the other day and said we should take 6 months off and go and do a season, however it's too short notice for this season so hoping for next!

Get it in writing.
latest report

http://youtube.com/v/rXSTbYKvpCU
snow conditions
Woohoo. Nice to see you back. I was starting to worry you'd disappeared.

Here's my thoughts for what they're worth:

1. Much nicer. More weight going on your outside ski although I can clearly see you're doing it by lifting the inside leg (and it's not just when you're doing the drills)

2. As someone else keeps saying, I'd rather see you stand on the uphill ski at the start of the turn rather than just lift the inside leg. Standing on the uphill / outside leg shifts your body weight and encourages a more dynamic movement that will help you apply the appropriate edge pressure at the right points in your turn. i.e. it will lighten the pressure at the start of the turn and help you apply more pressure where it's needed during the second half of the turn.

Mike
snow report
@franzClammer, have you've put the vid up to get some more feedback? Got some thoughts, but what do you see? What 1 thing do you want to work on?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy