Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sir, Sir....Am I an Intermidiot yet???

Poster: A snowHead
Saved the best until last!

The best advice I can offer you at this stage of your development is to

spend a session performing top to bottom fully rounded and completed turns with no 'park & ride' traversing, taking longer to get to the bottom of the slope than it takes to go up on the poma lift.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mike Pow, good advice. I got a bit excited at having my camdroid with me Blush
I completely get what your saying about Park n Ride.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
My pleasure.

Look forward to seeing the footage.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
franzClammer, my inexpert reaction to your video was STFU where the S stands for Slow...... or you'll have to change your username to Hurtle, and we've done that one. wink
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pam w, Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Je suis desole' Embarassed
Don't know what came over me! lol I think it was peer pressure by my 13yr old
& his mates. I was also putting my new footwear through its paces.
Rest assured I will be following Mike's & Scooby Simons advice on my next session,
perhaps a tad less Red Bull next time too.
In my defence I must say to the other Intermidiots & learners reading; that once you establish a platform on the outside ski
it's an intoxicating feeling that tempts one to start to let rip a little & over cook the whole process as in the previous footage.
It's a bit like when you get your first stereo & stupidly wack the volume up full to see how loud it goes rolling eyes = result: blown cone
FWIW Dancing in the Moonlight by Thin Lizzy on 11 will do it Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
So the latest vid where are you on the insideout scale franzClammer? I can never tell Sad 8? Good stuff though nice jumps Wink
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Levi215, Hi Ya, yeh I find it quite difficult too to assess your own level. The problem for me is consistency. I've had sessions recently where I've felt completely at ease and everything has flowed, it's usually when I'm alone and have spent sufficient time warming up, by that I mean doing traversing and exercises to find my balance, pivot points and edges before commencing to ski. Using braquage, stork drills and bunny hops etc seems to set the mind as well as the body in the right state for relaxed & flowing skiing for the rest of the session even if you do then up the pace.
In the latest video footage I felt manic and robotic and sensed little in the way of feedback from the skis.
But to answer your question I'd say I currently hover between 7-9 on the IOS scale.
Where do you place yourself?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Subsequent to completing shadowing & submitting the relevant docs etc.
I Just received the "Rubber Stamp" email from BASI............

BASI Level 1 Instructor qualification

Dear Colin

Congratulations! You are now a BASI Level 1 Instructor.

snowHead Well appy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Good work! On the levels i've never seen myself, but by descriptions and getting the Mrs to rate me vs the videos she thinks 6-8 but like in my carving skills thread still looking to continually improve, thought about doing Basi but i'm not particularly interested in teaching just getting more control / skills.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
franzClammer, snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
well done matey, hope you enjoy the teaching and that you get a gig working at Hemel or a dry slope snowHead
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Well done FC, and well deserved.

I actually liked that last video so no need to apologise for it. OK, technique wise it's not textbook but there's a lot more movement than there used to be and it's good to see you exploring what you can do and developing some feel for the snow. The really good skiiers are the ones who make it look natural and you won't develop that by rigidly performing textbook turns.

I'm not saying you shouldn't focus on the technique and skills, but sometimes it's good to goof off, have a bit of fun and develop your natural feel, balance and reactions.

Above all else though, skiing should be fun. so well done.

Mike

PS. I love that you show us your real skiing, warts and all and not just what you think are the good bits. Keep it up.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Please excuse my stupidity, and curiosity, as I have only ever had one pair of ski boots, that fit pretty well with the addition of heat moulded insoles and a bit o' duct tape, but why new boots AND zip fit liners?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Fenfilly wrote:
... why new boots AND zip fit liners?
The Zipfits will give a very precise fit, moreso than the stock liners. I've used Zipfits for about 10 years and wouldn't dream of using the stock liners when I change my boots. Added benefit of Zipfits is that, usually, they can be moved from boot to boot and remoulded.
snow conditions
franzClammer wrote:
Subsequent to completing shadowing & submitting the relevant docs etc.
I Just received the "Rubber Stamp" email from BASI............

BASI Level 1 Instructor qualification

Dear Colin

Congratulations! You are now a BASI Level 1 Instructor.

snowHead Well appy

Nice one Smile now you just need to pay up and look forward to receiving your medallion in the post Toofy Grin
latest report
skimottaret, Cheers Scott Smile Hoping to get the odd session at Hemel when numbers begin to pick up in Sept and possibly Chatham dry slope (not on my Magnums)
olderscot, Nice to hear from you again Mike, that's really inspiring feedback Thank you
sarah, All paid up n Licence & hallowed badge in the post to me
ScoobySimon Thanks again for the pointer this evening (Platform Platform Platform & Outcome focused)
Fenfilly, Good question...What Rob said^^ Also as I understand it, the zipfits will also last a lot longer than stock or even vacuum foam liners if you're skiing in them daily.
snow report
franzClammer wrote:
Fenfilly, Good question...What Rob said^^ Also as I understand it, the zipfits will also last a lot longer than stock or even vacuum foam liners if you're skiing in them daily.

Hmmmmm, interesting, thanks for that. *starts writing Christmas wishlist* wink
ski holidays
I've been pondering franzClammer's boot flex video, then got mine out to compare. How much should you be able to flex your boots anyway? Puzzled
snow conditions
Quote:

How much should you be able to flex your boots anyway?

knees over front binding, according to easiski. Most of us can't, either because of too stiff boots or too still calf muscles. Both can be rectified.
ski holidays
My knees are over the very fronts of my boots when I'm just standing normally, i.e. without trying to flex. Is that bad? Puzzled
snow report
pam w, not sure that advice holds with the changes in boot design. Current boots are more upright and forward lean angles vary from 11-20+ degrees. If you wear a boot with a very aggressive forward lean your knees will be quite forward to start with and visa versa.

A better check is to see if you are able to deform the lower section of the boot (the clog) by flexing forward until the lower clog bit starts to crease or bend at the point where the cuff (top section of the boot) overlaps the clog. Do this at room temperature and if the clog creases very easily your boot is too soft and if if doesnt even move then there may be other issues..
snow report
skimottaret wrote:
A better check is to see if you are able to deform the lower section of the boot (the clog) by flexing forward until the lower clog bit starts to crease or bend at the point where the cuff (top section of the boot) overlaps the clog. Do this at room temperature and if the clog creases very easily your boot is too soft and if if doesnt even move then there may be other issues..

Definitely no to the first bit of that, and as far as the second bit goes, then it does move but really only a very teeny bit. I think my boots have a fairly aggressive forward lean, as I can't straighten my legs when wearing them.
latest report
Fenfilly, you may be better posting a short video of your skiing and what make model boots you have then people will hopefully be able to help you.
latest report
franzClammer, congrats on completing your shadowing.I think this thread is inspiring for many skiers who can see in video form your progression. Keep up the hard work and continue to inspire others.
snow report
speed098 wrote:
Fenfilly, you may be better posting a short video of your skiing and what make model boots you have then people will hopefully be able to help you.

I don't actually think I have a problem with my boots, I was just really curious, as there appears to be a huge difference in flex between franzClammers new boots and his old boots, and I was just wondering what a 'normal' amount of flex would be. My boots are definitely not too soft, if anything they may be a little on the stiff side for me. Mr. Fenfilly, on the other hand, is convinced he needs stiffer boots, so I was more curious on his behalf.

Might dig out some skiing vids anyway, as I could use some help.......... wink
ski holidays
One thing to note, the fit of boots is also important. I had a pair of approx 85 flex beginner boots that I could not flex as they were blocking due to overtightening of the buckles which was setting up the cuff to jam. My next boots were 130s and yet I could flex them fine. Just going by the manufacturers rating only gives part of the picture.
ski holidays
Its definately worth getting boots that you can adjust flex on.

I went from 80 flex boots, which were way to soft for me to 120's and it turned out that the 120 was too mich for me, luckily my boots had a couple of bolts in the back you could take out one at a time to dial in the flex. Took one bolt out, and suddenly it was like ski-ing different boots.

It nice this way as you can experiment with settings and its not like you are hacking your boot about or doing something irreversible.

G
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
speed098 wrote:
franzClammer, congrats on completing your shadowing.I think this thread is inspiring for many skiers who can see in video form your progression. Keep up the hard work and continue to inspire others.

Thank you for saying that, it's inspiring to hear it's inspiring Cool
ski holidays
Re: Boots
Obviously the most crucial bit of kit you'll buy. I'm on my 3rd pair.
I bought a pair of boots as soon as I knew that I would ski regularly.
My first pair were £25 eBay jobbies, Salomon Evo 80-90 flex with slide adjusters. They were brilliant, I had the consistency of my own boots to learn in. They felt great because they were 2 sizes too big & were half packed out already. I wore them around the house until I got to ski in them. I added Superfeet green footbeds. They done me proud for my first winter skiing & numerous trips to Hemel.
My 2nd pair were a pair of 2buy backs" from Snow & Rock. Salomon Mission 70s 80 Flex. £100. They measured my feet & I dropped from Mondo 28 to 26.5 Shocked I used my green footbeds but after one winter in them I had some custom footbeds made at S&R £70. Although I dropped from 90 to 80 in flex rating the boots were newer and felt a lot more precise. But they've now packed out and allow movement of my foot to the point where I'd have to crank them up to max to keep from getting blisters.
As you can see I've now invested in a pair of Atomic Hawk 110 (they can go up to 120 flex with the addition of a bolt in the back). With the Zipfits in they require a bit of breaking in & molding (pretty uncomfortable) despite the fitting process in Bicester. The first two sessions at Hemel it felt like my boots were filled with cotton wool and were massive! despite being the same last size. They were producing a more immediate response from the skis and my shins absorbed a lot more energy transferred back to me than my softer boots. The third session I began to be able to feel through the liner and get some feedback from the snow. I also felt that my pivot points had moved forward, but then realised that the cuff of the Atomics is set to hold the shin in a more upright position than my previous boots. The sole of the boot is also designed to flex along it's length, I presume in order to assist with de-cambering the ski.
And they match my Head Magnums lol rolling eyes
ski holidays
Quote:

And they match my Head Magnums

clearly the most important part in anyones choice of boot.
latest report
That's really interesting franzClammer, thanks for taking the trouble to talk us through that journey. Glad to hear you're kitted up in an aesthetically pleasing manner...... wink
snow conditions
franzClammer wrote:
The sole of the boot is also designed to flex along it's length, I presume in order to assist with de-cambering the ski.

For realz? Sounds like aspirational marketing BS to me.
snow conditions

Sir.....sir....Am I an Instructor yet???
The much chased Badge Madeye-Smiley
latest report
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
franzClammer wrote:
The sole of the boot is also designed to flex along it's length, I presume in order to assist with de-cambering the ski.

For realz? Sounds like aspirational marketing BS to me.

It's not BS..... wearing them indoors and walking on steps during the molding process when quite soft, I could definitely feel the banana longitudinal flex feeling in the sole. That was before I was told that the sole is designed to do this. I then looked em up & read it.
snow report
franzClammer wrote:

Sir.....sir....Am I an Instructor yet???
The much chased Badge Madeye-Smiley

Many congratulations.
snow report
Mike Pow, Thanks Mike Very Happy

Quick boot review...

http://youtube.com/v/CEJgufL8oA8
ski holidays
franzClammer, have you considered (and if not could you) do a short progression video(s)? Something short (under 2mins) for say shorts and longs??

kinda like what I did in this thread?? http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=110465
latest report
Looks like you can get 13-17 deg forward flex range on these boots.

I'd recommend the 13 or 15 degree setting for a more upright stance.
snow report
as upright as possible as Mike Pow says... you overflex at the knee joint
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy