Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sir, Sir....Am I an Intermidiot yet???

Poster: A snowHead
rob@rar wrote:
DB, I think the biggest problem I see is that FC doesn't consistently use the first phase of the turn to get a strong platform he can balance on. On firm snow we mostly balance on our outside ski, so any drills which focus on the inside ski will, at best, be treating a symptom not the cause of the problems. That's not to say that inside ski drills aren't useful, but I think they are down the priority list for FC.

So why isn't he getting the edge and platform on the outski early enough, just too forgetful or is he in the back seat?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
DB, impatience, and he didn't develop that movement pattern in his early skiing career. Rushing a pivoted entry to the turn is a bad habit which creeps back in to his skiing when he doesn't concentrate.

Apologies for talking about you Cole!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
His centre of mass (COM) is too quickly transferred to the inside of the turn forcing him to place too much balance and reliance on his uphill (inside) ski.

He's sacrificing lower body dynamism and performance by muscling the turn with his upper body.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
rob@rar, No worries wink
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Managed to get a few hours at Hemel last night.
Worked on skiing taller and weight transfer, lightening inside ski before initiating the turn, and angulating only as the turn dictated.
Blending rotation & edging in shorts, before a Cpl hours shadowing
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
How did it feel?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The outcome was a much better stable feeling on the outside ski, a few times I inclined later in the turn expecting the outside ski to slip away, but it held me and allowed me to experiment with the arc by dropping the hip into the turn & get a bit more dynamic below the waist in the short turns.
In fact I really enjoyed last nights session and came away quite satisfied.
So thanks to you all who contributed on the wayward inside ski issue
It was all explained on my BASI L1 course. I'm finding most problems are fundamental in nature. It's tempting for me to look for complex solutions when the issue is usually something quite basic.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

So thanks to you all who contributed on the wayward inside ski issue

But that issue has been there for at least 40 pages, franzClammer - probably 60. wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pam w, very good Smile
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Excellent
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Cool
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ahem...from page 1...Cool

ALQ wrote:
...I would just add that lessons from a good instructor (and to practice what they teach) is v important.
Once you find out how to use your edges, it's a whole different sport Very Happy ...
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ALQ, credit where it's due, I'm just slightly embarrassed that it's taken 3 years and a BASI course for me to understand what you guys were on about Embarassed

Now for the DIY absolution: Toofy Grin
In hindsight I think like a lot of naive learners, I had no idea that there are systematic ways to learn to ski and develop the reqd skills. I imagined that a personal prescription of drills would make me the skier I dreamed of.
As opposed to the reality of eating humble pie & starting at the beginning with quality foundations.
Live n learn aye
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
franzClammer, Aye! Only 3 years?? It took me 20 and I'm still sho!te Laughing
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
So that's it now is it, the end of a lengthy thread, with much repeated advice including after 80 odd pages the reference back to p1!!! The videos were sometimes funny and eventually got a lot more adventurous. Or will fC find a way to continue Puzzled Puzzled
ski holidays
andy1234 wrote:
So that's it now is it, the end of a lengthy thread, with much repeated advice including after 80 odd pages the reference back to p1!!! The videos were sometimes funny and eventually got a lot more adventurous. Or will fC find a way to continue Puzzled Puzzled

I have greatly enjoyed checking on FC's progress and I hope the thread continues.
I love watching video posted by brilliant skiers (eg Mike Pow) doing the sort of skiing I have no hope of ever copying. But - without sounding condescending, I hope - it has been just as interesting to watch someone who, like me and many others, appears not to be a 'natural' on snow getting to grips with the techniques required to improve. Whilst I probably share FC's absolute delight at being on snow, FC has dedication to the cause far in excess of my own and I salute him for it.
Carry on posting, FC!
snow report
+1
snow report
Quote:

appears not to be a 'natural' on snow

actually, I think FC is something of a "natural" and made such rapid progress because of his enthusiasm, drive and native ability, as well as the extraordinary amount of time on the snow he was able to put in. What he isn't, perhaps, is somebody who learns most readily in a "cognitive" way, from the analysis and feedback of experienced instructors (which I tend to rely on too much, probably, to compensate for my lack of native ability). A balance is needed, as ever. wink
latest report
pam w, +1 in every detail!
ski holidays
This is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning.
snow report

A long time ago
in a snowdome far far away
a dedicated rebel Intermidiot
is on a mission
.......BASI Level 2.........The saga continues......

...........................Sir.....sir......Am I an Instructor yet?
snow conditions
franzClammer, you've booked your L2?
ski holidays
franzClammer, Falling over Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin First a caveat, I'm not a ski instructor but I do know just a weeeee bit about bodies in motion and you're getting sloppy. Very technical term that . . .

slop·py [slop-ee] Show IPA
adjective, slop·pi·er, slop·pi·est.
1. muddy, slushy, or very wet: The field was a sloppy mess after the rain.
2. splashed or soiled with liquid.
3. careless; loose: sloppy writing.
4. untidy; slovenly: sloppy clothes; a sloppy eater.
5. overly emotional; gushy: sloppy sentimentality.

Points 1, 2 & 5 are possibly redundant (or perhaps not) but 3 and 4 are clearly in view. all this talk about the technical aspect of screwing up is missing the fundamental . . . YOU TOOK YOUR EYE OFF THE BALL . . . relaxed too much and stopped driving your skis. You did simply fall over 'cos you were thinking about summat else more important than what was happening under your feet.

I could, if you like, run through the bio mechanics of how you fell over but really it was just you not doing what you already know what you have to do. You're on the cusp of having an autonomic muscle memory response but it's not there yet and falling on your butt is what happens when your body encounters a balance challenge that it doesn't have a programmed response for.

We all have this and it's repetition and experience coupled with good feedback, both external and internal that builds that instinctive brain/muscle subroutine that allows us to ski with an unconscious 'flow'. Keep your mind on what your doing until a drill/movement is fully dialed in.

Hope that helps a little.
ski holidays
Masque, Spot on mate! Indeed that does help. If I "felt" as much as I "thought" I'd probly enjoy it more. Cheers Buddy. Hope life's treating you good

sarah,L2... You must be kidding!, I have only been skiing since 2011, if you can call it that, & only properly since Oct 2013.
I just meant that L2 is probly the next destination on my journey. I'm not a real L1 yet wink
Is your personal performance up to scratch for L2? I note from your entries you joined SH's in 2004.
I'm still working on my fundamentals to justify my L1 status, let alone the 5 Strands Smile
snow conditions
franzClammer, well? Hmmmm.... Dice didn't fall off but treatment made me blind . . . Got one new eyeball last week so can see to post. Van's sick again with 9 mug and bruv just offered to pay off a debt to me over 18 years. . .

Getting pished wink
latest report
franzClammer, to me your post read like 'L2 here I come' that's why I asked!

No, I have no L2 plans at present. I am very well aware of the many weaknesses in my skiing and how much work I need to do.

Yes I've been on SHs since the start. Length of time skiing does not necessarily relate to skiing ability IMHO Smile
ski holidays
Quote:

Length of time skiing does not necessarily relate to skiing ability IMHO

I'll drink to that... wink
snow conditions
pam w, Laughing wink
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
sarah, pam w, so true. Sad
latest report
sarah wrote:
Length of time skiing does not necessarily relate to skiing ability IMHO Smile

J'suis d'accord
wink
snow report
Today I managed to allow my consciousness to extend down to my feet!
Up until now they've felt like clay lumps as opposed to the appendage we use to feel the snow and respond with.
It prob sounds insignificant but it's major for me! I think that where your focus of attention is centred is vital in learning to ski.
ski holidays
franzClammer, At one and at peace with (instead of mugging) the skis.
Brings a tear to my eye...that's just bootiful...<sniff> Crying or Very sad
snow conditions
ALQ, Laughing Laughing A bit like this....

http://youtube.com/v/uEB45OAnixU
snow conditions
franzClammer, No...like this...Cool

http://youtube.com/v/o2we_B6hDrY
latest report
franzClammer wrote:
ALQ, credit where it's due, I'm just slightly embarrassed that it's taken 3 years and a BASI course for me to understand what you guys were on about Embarassed

Now for the DIY absolution: Toofy Grin
In hindsight I think like a lot of naive learners, I had no idea that there are systematic ways to learn to ski and develop the reqd skills. I imagined that a personal prescription of drills would make me the skier I dreamed of.
As opposed to the reality of eating humble pie & starting at the beginning with quality foundations.
Live n learn aye

BINGO!!!!
snow conditions
scooby_simon wrote:

BINGO!!!!

Cool I remember us discussing developing finesse in the steering of the skis last year. I think that may start to happen now.
Are you in on Tues/Weds eve. I'm due to do a bit of shadowing
snow report
franzClammer wrote:
scooby_simon wrote:

BINGO!!!!

Cool I remember us discussing developing finesse in the steering of the skis last year. I think that may start to happen now.
Are you in on Tues/Weds eve. I'm due to do a bit of shadowing

Yep; in till 9.30 tomorrow; Lessons at 12-2 and 3.30 to 5.30; hosting the free coaching 7.30 to 9.30pm.
snow conditions

http://youtube.com/v/d0oU6L4OjBI
ski holidays
You'll be amazed at the difference (assuming they were fitted). I predict L2 by Jan!!
But the key question is, do they match your outfit?
latest report
ALQ, Indeed they were fitted by Colin at Solutions4feet.
They are taking a bit of breaking in, but I've started that now & wasn't gurning quite so much tonight
This was Tues/Weds, they're holding me a bit more upright as well as being stiffer so I need to re-establish my fore-aft balance etc.
Think a bit of an edge on the Magnums would probly help too rolling eyes

http://youtube.com/v/_IGvz1xFKro
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy