Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sir, Sir....Am I an Intermidiot yet???

Poster: A snowHead
Didn't manage to get to HH this weekend, withdrawal symptoms starting Skullie, so here's some footage from last week.
Any aspirant L1's wanna tell us why I fell?

http://youtube.com/v/L26DfAYC7X4
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I remember that fall. You forgot to stand on your outside ski at the start of the turn and moved your Centre of Mass laterally too quickly. When you then needed to balance against something your feet, especially outside foot, wasn't in the right place.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rob@rar, I know the feeling... Embarassed
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
rob@rar, since when are you an 'aspirant L1'? Laughing

franzClammer, have you played about with stance width at all? Hard to see but you might try a wider stance??
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
sarah, yeh. I'm still at the stage where I'm trying to keep a constant stance width and adjust for the terrain, instead of varying it to compensate for poor posture/body mangmnt.
I'm not trying to be robotic, and allow a degree of flow to evolve
With my rudimentary technique, widening my stance leads inevitably to me loitering on the inside ski during transition, work reqd there.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Your 'go for it' attitude, athleticism & muscular strength is masking your lack of vertical movement and your reluctance to pivot both skis across the fall line, with the pivot point in the centre of your ski boot.

I'd be very surprised if balancing on the inside ski and skidding your ski tails around the corner will get you much further in the BASI system.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mike Pow wrote:
Your 'go for it' attitude, athleticism & muscular strength is masking your lack of vertical movement and your reluctance to pivot both skis across the fall line, with the pivot point in the centre of your ski boot.

I'd be very surprised if balancing on the inside ski and skidding your ski tails around the corner will get you much further in the BASI system.

Thanks for the vote of confidence rolling eyes
I've not yet completed my shadowing hrs for L1
I have no delusions of grandeur. There's a world of skiing between where am at at L1 and an experienced L2
I think I better look at my Psy sections of my manual to see where your comments are applicable NehNeh
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
franzClammer, interesting, I'd have thought a wider stance might help a bit. More drills maybe Toofy Grin keep at it Very Happy
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
sarah wrote:
franzClammer, interesting, I'd have thought a wider stance might help a bit. More drills maybe Toofy Grin keep at it Very Happy

Yes of course you are correct, a wider stance would give my slovenly senses time to discriminate between skis and require me to be more definite in my movements and balance.
Its obviously important to be profficient with various stance widths in the toolbox as terrain n condtions require.
Drills! Yes indeedy, always a good idea. I have to return to my Fundamentals and just keep checking my basics are still in place before I get carried away with analysis and fixes rolling eyes I tend to look for too technical explanations. Point in fact as opposed to Rob@rar's expertly economic analysis : not standing on my O/s ski early enough causing my fall. I had a complex explanation involving not lightening the inside ski and steering it out of the way blah blah
the difference I spose between a professional and an amateur analysis.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
franzClammer wrote:
..give my slovenly senses time to discriminate between skis and require me to be more definite in my movements and balance...

Perhaps finishing your turns, getting the skis across the fall-line, might give you more time to really get the transition dialled-in for the next turn.
Drill Suggestion: First lifts, find a blue/green corduroy piste, undo your boots and ski with your eyes closed...it's an amazing feeling. Just be sure to post the vid Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ALQ wrote:

Drill Suggestion: First lifts, find a blue/green corduroy piste, undo your boots and ski with your eyes closed..

Sounds like heaven Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
franzClammer, It's metaphysical poetry in motion...you become the ski...essentially at one with the mountain...eventually, consuming the snow !!
Laughing
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
sarah wrote:
rob@rar, since when are you an 'aspirant L1'? Laughing
Laughing Oops, missed that bit!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
franzClammer wrote:
ALQ wrote:

Drill Suggestion: First lifts, find a blue/green corduroy piste, undo your boots and ski with your eyes closed..

Sounds like heaven Madeye-Smiley

Heaven? Have you tried that particular drill? Skullie
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
sarah, TBH I was thinking of the First lift, corduroy blue/green piste scenario Madeye-Smiley
I have tried some blindfold skiing verbally guided & I often ride the button at Hemel with eyes closed, but to have a wide empty flattish groomed piste. I can imagine is an awesome feeling and heighten one's senses to what's happening underfoot exponentially. The unbuckled boots element may have to be developed slowly though.
Can't wait Cool

ALQ consume the snow Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
franzClammer wrote:
Mike Pow wrote:

Thanks for the vote of confidence rolling eyes
I've not yet completed my shadowing hrs for L1
I have no delusions of grandeur. There's a world of skiing between where am at at L1 and an experienced L2
I think I better look at my Psy sections of my manual to see where your comments are applicable NehNeh

Others have replied with the same advice. And it happens when you try to make quicker, short radius turns.

In my opinion, quick, short radius turns start with quick changes in balance and quick foot steering / pivotting NOT quick upper body movements to the inside of the turn.

You also wrote

Quote:
I'm not trying to be robotic, and allow a degree of flow to evolve

Whilst I appreciate that you're attempting to develop consistency, making the same turn shape at the same speed all the way down the run regardless of the changing snow conditions and contours under your skis will not result in fluid skiing.
snow conditions
franzClammer, agree with you on first lifts and corduroy but it will be a while before I go unbuckling my boots again Skullie
ski holidays
Mike Pow, I hear what you're saying and am in deference.
However we've gotta start somewhere in order to develop the skills you describe.
it would be fab if my skiing was technically perfect in all apects after just three seasons, alas I think a fare few miles and some professional input will help this coming season. Up until my BASI L1 Ididn't even know what I was doing wrong at a fundamental level, so although you may be dissapointed with my progress, I'm quite happy with the prospect of all the learning & practice that the coming season offers. I'm sure at some point on the piste I'll be thinking "ah! Now this is what MikePow was describing"
Very Happy
latest report
Mike Pow are you talking about this ?

http://youtube.com/v/ndPdnxTIeQY ?

I suspect franzClammer is trying to achieve something like this
http://youtube.com/v/l5gnnZXoDK0.
snow report
DB wrote:
Mike Pow are you talking about this ?

Two good videos.

Advocate and teach most of what both videos are showing with the following exceptions:

1. I don't teach the student to keep the upper body facing down the fall line. I teach them to stay square to the feet and skis.

2. I don't teach pole planting.

But that's me. Most instructors do and have great results.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Mon 28-07-14 19:56; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
franzClammer wrote:
Mike Pow, I hear what you're saying and am in deference.
However we've gotta start somewhere in order to develop the skills you describe.
it would be fab if my skiing was technically perfect in all apects after just three seasons, alas I think a fare few miles and some professional input will help this coming season. Up until my BASI L1 Ididn't even know what I was doing wrong at a fundamental level, so although you may be dissapointed with my progress, I'm quite happy with the prospect of all the learning & practice that the coming season offers. I'm sure at some point on the piste I'll be thinking "ah! Now this is what MikePow was describing"
Very Happy

I'd like to think that I've been one of your supporters as you've progressed, and progressed rapidly.

At the moment, when you're linking shorter radius turns in a run you get excited and impatient, load the tips of the skis and actively balance to the inside of the turn.

You have the fine motor skills to perform an effortless 360 on snow. Many don't.

I recommend that you

feel that effortless pivotting of both skis across the fall line to turn completion that you feel when you perform 360s (just don't go all the way round), and

then quickly and deftly transfer your balance through neutral (50 / 50 balance on both skis in the fall line) and then on to your new downhill ski as you pivot both skis in the opposite direction to the previous turn.

The key is to be tall, relaxed and ski a flatter ski with less edging.

Give it a whirl next time you're out to see how it feels.
latest report
DB, spot on wink
Think I might end up like this dude if my season in the 3V's happens
Inspired Backcountry Wisdom...:
http://youtube.com/v/g7qztj78eoc
snow report
Mike Pow, Yes sorry for being a bit defensive there Embarassed
I do get over excited and overcook it most of the time.
skiing in resort on more variable and longer pistes will ' I'm sure allow me to develope a more natural style. I do try to force performence instead of cultivating it.
Thanks for the tips, I'll take them onboard Very Happy
ski holidays
Mike Pow,
Yes we've had the "to pole plant or not" discussion before. The point I was trying to make is that - although there is no such thing as the perfect carved turn I believe short turns can be broken down to at least two main categories (i.e. skidded and carved). Franz was trying to do the latter whereas you appear to be talking more about the former. Skid short turns can be used almost anywhere (piste, bumps, breakable crust that you don't want to break through, even powder). On a groomed piste carved short turns are faster and IMHO more fun but if it's steep the skier tends to build up a lot of speed. Carved short turns are not the best tool in so many different conditions as skidded turns. Refrozen tracked out slush is another condition where I would attempt to use carved rather than skidded short turns.
snow report
franzClammer wrote:
Mike Pow, Yes sorry for being a bit defensive there Embarassed
I do get over excited and overcook it most of the time.
skiing in resort on more variable and longer pistes will ' I'm sure allow me to develope a more natural style. I do try to force performence instead of cultivating it.
Thanks for the tips, I'll take them onboard Very Happy

No dramas.

Look forward to seeing your efforts Smile
snow conditions
DB wrote:
Mike Pow,
Yes we've had the "to pole plant or not" discussion before. The point I was trying to make is that - although there is no such thing as the perfect carved turn I believe short turns can be broken down to at least two main categories (i.e. skidded and carved). Franz was trying to do the latter whereas you appear to be talking more about the former. Skid short turns can be used almost anywhere (piste, bumps, breakable crust that you don't want to break through, even powder). On a groomed piste carved short turns are faster and IMHO more fun but if it's steep the skier tends to build up a lot of speed. Carved short turns are not the best tool in so many different conditions as skidded turns. Refrozen tracked out slush is another condition where I would attempt to use carved rather than skidded short turns.

Yeah I definitely ski and teach the more pivotted short radius turn than the staccato, edged short radius turn.

From what I saw on the video, Franz may have been trying to do a more edged short radius turn but because he was balanced to the inside of the turn and forward in his boots he had to skid the tails around to make the turn radius.

I feel there's a massive difference between pivotting a flatter ski from the centre of the boot and excessivly pressuring the tip of the ski on edge and then skidding the tails through to completion.

To me, a carved short radius turn is one where rail road tracks are left in the snow surface. On steeper terrain they can get scarily fast.
latest report
Quote:

To me, a carved short radius turn is one where rail road tracks are left in the snow surface

that's certainly what I thought - and I know I can't do them. AFAIK they are a very high-level skill. So, turning to
Quote:

pivotting a flatter ski from the centre of the boot

what is the best exercise for developing the "feel" for that balance point? I have gone up a draglift behind an ESF instructor pivoting his skis through 180 all the way up but if I tried that I'd fall off in less than no time. Pivot slips?

FC can do linked 360s so he should have no trouble with pivoted short turns.
latest report
pam w, I would start by checking that your skis are really flat, I suspect a lot of women end up copying male stance widths which may not be appropriate for their leg geometry.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
franzClammer wrote:
Didn't manage to get to HH this weekend, withdrawal symptoms starting Skullie, so here's some footage from last week.
Any aspirant L1's wanna tell us why I fell?

To my untrained eye it looks like you steered your skis and rushed the turn by pushing your tails out on a faírly flat edge. This threw you in the back seat and then put your weight on the tail of the flat ski so you ended up on yer ass (technical term).
ski holidays
pam w wrote:

So, turning to
Quote:

pivotting a flatter ski from the centre of the boot

what is the best exercise for developing the "feel" for that balance point? I have gone up a draglift behind an ESF instructor pivoting his skis through 180 all the way up but if I tried that I'd fall off in less than no time. Pivot slips?

You won't go far wrong with the movements demonstrated in the video DB posted.

From 30 seconds onwards

http://youtube.com/v/ndPdnxTIeQY

The big difference to what's in that video is I ask my students to stand square to the skis - looking across the slope to where the tips are pointing, not looking down the fall line, with their pole tips touching the snow surface above and below them.

Quote:
FC can do linked 360s so he should have no trouble with pivoted short turns.

That's what I've seen in his vids too, and why I recommended it to him.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Tue 29-07-14 19:40; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
rjs wrote:
pam w, I would start by checking that your skis are really flat, I suspect a lot of women end up copying male stance widths which may not be appropriate for their leg geometry.

+ 1 to this.

And your boot alignment too.
snow conditions
Hmmm Talking of Boots. I don't think my 80 Flex boots & packed out liners are helping my development somehow rolling eyes
Bit of a mismatch what with Head Magnum skis Confused
snow report
franzClammer, Biggest aid to my skiing were fitted boots. Spend the money ... coz you're worth it.
snow report
Please forgive my ignorance but...

Mike Pow wrote:

1. I don't teach the student to keep the upper body facing down the fall line. I teach them to stay square to the feet and skis.

Does that not necessarily lead to a complete loss of separation between upper & lower body? I thought separation - at least on short turns - was to be encouraged?
ski holidays
Red Leon,
I was thinking that too, a bit like Jeff and Virgil of the Thunderbirds.
ski holidays
I think he's just saying let separation come naturally rather than being forced.
snow report
ALQ wrote:
franzClammer, Biggest aid to my skiing were fitted boots. Spend the money ... coz you're worth it.

Laughing
Yes I'm gonna book an apt at Solutions4feet asap
Innitially I thought I'd get away with just new Zipfit liners, but now realise I need a tad stiffer shell, I'm anticipating 120-130 flex rating
latest report
130 is a LOT stiffer than 80 and will take a bit of time to get used to and to be able to flex em. BUT, you need to learn how and when to flex your ankle joint whilst staying in balance to get the most out of stiff boots... Question, How stiff are your boots when you are doing your boots unclipped drills as described above? Wink
snow conditions
Out of curiosity, what do most of you L1/L2 have by way of boot flex.

I'm neither, patently, but have 110 flex on mine which I find provides sufficient (as in confidence) stiffness/flex balance for relatively fast and "dynamic" carving. Unless planning on racing, I can't personally see why one would opt for a much stiffer boot.
snow report
Cacciatore, good question and one I'm very interested in the answer to too. I am currently between old boots and new and neither are working well for me. Old are 80 but they have an intuition wrap liner in and they are clipped up tight and so they are much stiffer than with the stock liner plus they are too big do that messes with how I can flex them I think. The new boots seem like a good fit but although they are in theory stiffer than the old boots at a 90 they are ridiculously soft and I feel that there's 'nothing there' when I try to ski them even just a little bit hard.

So my question with flex is how do you know when it's too much? How do you know you are over flexing the boot because I suspect that I am with the new ones. Also should you be able to 'hang' on the fronts of your boots or not?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy