Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sir, Sir....Am I an Intermidiot yet???

Poster: A snowHead
franzClammer, I would venture that I think you are often lacking in angulation particularly in one direction - I think it seemed more consistently missing on a right hand rather than a left hand turn. Not that you are alone with that and WTFDIK and all that! wink
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Thanks for the feedback & tips guys n gal
Megamum, you'd be surprised how much you know. It'll all click into place when you do your BASI L1 wink
FWIW I've been focusing on 3 points during my last few sessions & it seems to be paying off.
1: during warm up I focus on feeling for the moment when the skis roll flat, and pivoting then.
2: standing on the new outside ski at the moment it is directly under my COM in the crossover early in the transition before inclining the skis
3: pedalling/blending the pressure transfer smoothly from ski to ski, with no gap

So, listening to you guys, I will
Taller: use the Long leg Short leg extension more effectively in the turn by increasing the range of movement below the waist.
Patience: take time in the set-up phase to "really" balance on new ski, smooth transition solid platform, avoid stem.
Posture: work on symmetry, angulate/adjust in response to the forces.
One thing at a time, and remember to smile.
Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
franzClammer, sh*g it don't sh*t it.....
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Right Ladies ! You heard Him.....he's a Level 2.
So form an orderly queue
..………(FC Runs for cover Toofy Grin )
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
franzClammer, loved the vid, especially the WTF bit, gave me a chuckle! You are so determined, it's admirable.

kitenski, Laughing Laughing Laughing good one, heard it before but forgotten.

I think rob@rar's advice is great about having a one word focus, it's something I've been given a lot this year and it works! especially if you have a tendency to overthink things a bit. I had some one word feedback on my L1 and my trainer had to actually say '...and only that, and don't question it and don't add anything to it yourself and don't re-interpret it' Embarassed Does work. Though I am building up a collection of single words now Embarassed
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
sarah, it can be really useful, can't it, especially if as an instructor you tend to talk too much! skimottaret does a pretty good line in zero word feedback!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rob@rar, !
Quote:

skimottaret does a pretty good line in zero word feedback!

yeah, but only after years of clients saying they couldn't understand what he was talking about when the feedback was verbal! To be fair, I got my single, get-out-of-jail word from him. (And no it isn't 'cake'.)
wink
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Pedantica, Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Pedantica, Will bring along my USA to UK translation book next session... Wink in all seriousness I think that people tend to become feedback junkies if given too much input. The guys and gals who trained me as a coach always emphasized less is more when giving feedback and sometimes a "do it again", a wince or a smile is more than enough ...
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

It'll all click into place when you do your BASI L1

Not me, I could hardly ski only a few years ago. I am happy with 'punters' tuition and practice and experience on the snow and I don't get enough of that to progress quick enough for L1, I'll never need to teach skiing, and although I take on board that the tuition is excellent to get, I would hope that I could get to that level with plain lessons at some point. That said I think there is a great deal to be learned by watching and seeing if I can spot in videos (mine and those of other people) what I am being taught so I hope you don't mind me practising with your ones. Very Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rob@rar, yes and Laughing I told one instructor he talked too much, I got my comeuppance when I was down last at the bottom of a run and I started to whinge about something or other, he turned to my friend and said 'who's talking too much now?!' And shot off again before I could catch my breath Laughing

skimottaret, yes true enough and one bit of my feedback recently has been 'too much training not enough skiing', I am a bit of a training junkie.

Megamum, never say never Laughing
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
sarah, Laughing The thing is that I am SH's notoriously scared and slow learner and can still remember what it was to feel witlessly scared on my first chair lift and at the top of my first green run. On that history I'm not instructor material!!

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Fri 27-06-14 15:59; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Megamum, empathy is a great skill for an instructor wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
skimottaret, I was only teasing and I entirely agree with your minimalist approach! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rob@rar wrote:
it can be really useful, can't it, especially if as an instructor you tend to talk too much!

Shocked Sounds familiar..Rob..Did you read my L1 course report? lol

sarah, Thanks for your comments Blush

skimottaret I agree re: the reliance on external feedback. As you witnessed, prior to my L1, and despite all the received wisdom. I for one was still looking for complex answers as to why I wasn't progressing & wanting prescriptive lists of drills to fix me. Instead of simply going back to basics & practicing the fundamentals.
So yeh, sometimes less is more Cool
latest report
franzClammer wrote:
Instead of simply going back to basics & practicing the fundamentals.
So yeh, sometimes less is more Cool

Bingo!!!!!
ski holidays
franzClammer,

Re:

Quote:

sometimes less is more

So is that what you were thinking when you posted your last video? If you will pardon the observation, your added comments might have fallen, just very slightly, you understand? Into the over analysis camp?
snow report
franzClammer wrote:
One thing at a time, and remember to smile.
Very Happy

Yup, tits, teeth and toes . . . The 'Rockette' method wink
snow report
Megamum wrote:
franzClammer,
Re:
Quote:

sometimes less is more

So is that what you were thinking when you posted your last video? If you will pardon the observation, your added comments might have fallen, just very slightly, you understand? Into the over analysis camp?

I can see that it may look thus, however 99% of the analarses comments are identifying a single point. That is 'not establishing a solid platform & balancing on it early enough in the turn'.
If unaddressed this fundamental issue will lead to all sorts of weird maladjustments & compensatory movement.
It could well be the cause of any "stem" that is in your turn initiation
snow report
scooby_simon, Little Angel .... 1st Oct 2013 .... it's taken a while to sink in rolling eyes
snow report
franzClammer, Young padowan swiftly he learns. To the green slope he must return; slow down he must for a solid platform he must build til thick skull it enters for ever and ever, amen.
ski holidays
ALQ, not ready yet was he' for the challenge! To the forest moon of Meribel must he return.
Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
Quote:

any "stem" that is in your turn initiation

What stem? wink

Not any longer! Very Happy This young Padawan, from her Master, swiftly learns !! Very Happy Standing on the new outside ski early works towards fixing all sorts of errors. The odd regular pole plant does no harm either to steady the upper body. This young Padawan may a Master...................one day become!! wink Until then this Padawan will not ensue the green slopes (or indoor snow domes ) Laughing
latest report
Limited skiing time lately.....I only had half an hour to practice before the Droid's Race Club, so Mon 30th June. Trying to ski taller.
I know it looks the same as the last vid but it felt different NehNeh
Troll fodder Toofy Grin

http://youtube.com/v/hExDNHVOuC0
ps: Memo to self: shadowing at Race Club involves zero skiing so wrap up warmer than usual rolling eyes
ski holidays
franzClammer, can't see vid just now on iPad. But you still shadowing? And yes agree on the need to wrap up, I am getting a down mid layer Laughing
latest report

those pants look soiled! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
northantsred wrote:

those pants look soiled! Toofy Grin

I think they came like that Laughing
snow report
sarah, yeh shadowing as & when I can
I might try n get a couple of hours on plastic at Chatham at some point
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
tentative amateur observation - but still looks like a lot of weight on the inner ski at times. Maybe start those "storks" before the turn (ie shift the weight earlier) and slow them down so you can do more?
latest report
franzClammer, don't fancy the plastic myself though that's where I learnt many moons ago. I've done my official hours and all the bits and bobs too now, just waiting for one last certificate to come through so I can send my stuff off to BASI. Will keep on shadowing though; the more I know, the more I know I don't know! Laughing
snow report
Looks like your going too fast again....

You are not letting your skis come around in the later part of the turn, which leads you to force the transition as you have observed...and as you are effectively straightlining it you end up at the bottom too soon, too quick and without making any real turns, just 3 or 4 rough changes of direction.

I think you need to be getting the skis loaded up under the ball of your foot - weight correctly flexing the ski and bending your body more to get them more on edge. Angulation.

When you feel the ski coming across and under you like you are going to get thrown out on the snow to the outside of the turn...then you will know fear Smile

(Mostly, the skis then transition and start to come back under you - but it is a scary moment)
ski holidays
pam w, yes the inner ski loading is due to his weight being too inside the turn...because he is as stiff as a broomstick. As a result he has to be traveling at high speeds to get the skis loaded enough to carve the turn without a skid. When he gets some angulation in, his weight will be better positioned for slower speeds and more control. As he is, I was glad I wasn't going up the lift when he was approaching...
latest report
franzClammer, on my 17m sidecut skis, I used to be able to get a turn in at Cas (slightly narrower than Hemmel I think) and be heading directly back up the hill.

It took the full width. starting about the middle@top, head down and make a ? shape.

I tried, but cant quite do it on my 28m Gotamas.

Looking at the turn radius you are achieving in the last video, I think you would need at least twice the width. What skis/sidecut are you on there ?
snow report
lampbus, Magnum 170's 13.5m radius
latest report
franzClammer, Hmm thats a twisty turny ski.

Mind you, I have never tried them (I think...I may have tried them at the EoSB ski test 2013 - they were heads with a chippy thing in) and as I see they are sort of BASI standard kit, I feel I need to know what the fuss is all about.

Your vids have me all itching to go to Castleford (or south America) and have a zip about....ADMIN....when are the ski tests going to happen this year ?

Keep posting as I am intensely jealous of all the skiing you are doing and your achievements.
ski holidays
lampbus wrote:
pam w, yes the inner ski loading is due to his weight being too inside the turn...because he is as stiff as a broomstick. As a result he has to be traveling at high speeds to get the skis loaded enough to carve the turn without a skid. When he gets some angulation in, his weight will be better positioned for slower speeds and more control. As he is, I was glad I wasn't going up the lift when he was approaching...

Having watched the footage, I make you right on all of the above
I had a Cpl hrs at HH yesterday n read your comments whilst on a break, I loosened up after that n it felt better.
Will try to get some footage tomorrow if Haps comes out to play
snow conditions
I see you joined a Race club wink

Improve your skating skills. On plastic & indoors a couple of good quality skating steps will give some some early speed with which you can work. Race training is as good a place as any to do this, trying to nail the first gate.

One of the reasons a skier could be falling onto the inside ski is that they are not traveling fast enough for what they are trying to do. They just topple inside as you might trying to get too much lean on a motorbike at slow speed. Less angulation will compound this.

This may sound counter to lampbus's comment about speed, but I suspect he's talking about you control of your speed of descent using turn size and shape.
ski holidays
AndAnotherThing.. wrote:
I see you joined a Race club wink

Improve your skating skills. On plastic & indoors a couple of good quality skating steps will give some some early speed with which you can work. Race training is as good a place as any to do this, trying to nail the first gate. .

Hi,
yes I joined some time back, although up until just recently my skiing just simply wasn't up to it really. I spent most of my time swearing at gates and getting spat out by the 3rd or 4th turn rolling eyes Thanks for the tip though, I see how it can make a huge difference in your time and as you point out help with generating forces in the 1st turn.

AndAnotherThing.. wrote:
One of the reasons a skier could be falling onto the inside ski is that they are not traveling fast enough for what they are trying to do. They just topple inside as you might trying to get too much lean on a motorbike at slow speed. Less angulation will compound this..

Roger that! I've only really just started to focus/work on angulation. I appreciate there is a relationship between the amount of inclination (by crossing over the skis) and the amount of angulation required to maintain a solid outside ski platform to then work off of in shaping the turn. I know there are a lot of other factors involved in the ideal turn also, but establishing and maintaining balance on the outside ski really firmly was my priority recently. (apologies if I'm rambling/repeating myself)

AndAnotherThing.. wrote:
This may sound counter to lampbus's comment about speed, but I suspect he's talking about you control of your speed of descent using turn size and shape.
So although I agree with Lampbus' comments, you are also correct, it was just prior to Race Club and I was focusing on the transition point and feeling for the moment my COM is above my new outside ski balancing before inputing any steering elements, dropping the hip/knees/ankles in/angulating so turn shape was sacrificed on this brief occasion. C'est la vie. Felt good though.
Today was nutty, most of the slope sectioned off for freestyle furniture, a narrow icey corridor shared with InsideOut Fast Track Course (some really good stuff going on there), Hemel lessons and assorted rec skiers. Somewhat challenging cond's, sometimes ya gotta remember to enjoy what you're doing n why youre doing it Madeye-Smiley .. Tiny bit of really bad footage to follow at some point. (my Droids on summer hols)
latest report
Narcissus strikes again Embarassed

http://youtube.com/v/owOYr6bn-xE?list=UU4coOtm3L-lGemrxPicj-Jw
ski holidays
franzClammer wrote:
Roger that! I've only really just started to focus/work on angulation. I appreciate there is a relationship between the amount of inclination (by crossing over the skis) and the amount of angulation required to maintain a solid outside ski platform to then work off of in shaping the turn. I know there are a lot of other factors involved in the ideal turn also, but establishing and maintaining balance on the outside ski really firmly was my priority recently. (apologies if I'm rambling/repeating myself)

... So although I agree with Lampbus' comments, you are also correct, it was just prior to Race Club and I was focusing on the transition point and feeling for the moment my COM is above my new outside ski balancing before inputing any steering elements, dropping the hip/knees/ankles in/angulating so turn shape was sacrificed on this brief occasion. C'est la vie. Felt good though.
Today was nutty, most of the slope sectioned off for freestyle furniture, a narrow icey corridor shared with InsideOut Fast Track Course (some really good stuff going on there), Hemel lessons and assorted rec skiers. Somewhat challenging cond's, sometimes ya gotta remember to enjoy what you're doing n why youre doing it Madeye-Smiley .. Tiny bit of really bad footage to follow at some point. (my Droids on summer hols)

Sod all that!!
Have a few 'rizlas' then just do this...

http://youtube.com/v/Wop_Zc0x1Sc
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy