Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sir, Sir....Am I an Intermidiot yet???

Poster: A snowHead
Having been through this earlier this year, there was a massive difference in the cost of lift passes and that's what helped me decide where I went to do my L2. A 13 day pass:

Porte du Soleil €406
Espace Killy €468
3 Valleys €584
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
kieranm wrote:
Quote:

If you are looking to do just the 2-week L2 course I don't think it matters who you book with

That's the conclusion I was coming to, but good to know, thanks Rob.

From my experience I'd look at the lift pass, accommodation and transfer costs... These vary a fair bit based in location and date of the course.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Listen to kitenski, he's got more experience of this than me, having done more courses! wink
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
abd, appy berfday geeza Toofy Grin
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks franzClammer,
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
kitenski wrote:
kieranm wrote:
Quote:

If you are looking to do just the 2-week L2 course I don't think it matters who you book with

That's the conclusion I was coming to, but good to know, thanks Rob.

From my experience I'd look at the lift pass, accommodation and transfer costs... These vary a fair bit based in location and date of the course.

And "living" costs!

I did mine in Courchevel with New Gen; stayed in Le Praz is a very reasonable chalet early season. Lunch was expensive!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
How you getting on franzClammer, ?

I'll read back a few pages, what you got planned for the summer ski wise? More fridge time?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Bene,
Hi ya
Re: my BASI L1....
I just completed my BASP 1st Aid course.
Done the Child Protection Module & CRB.
I've done about 10hrs shadowing at Hemel so far, although that's strictly teaching time.
I'm in no rush to submit the 35hrs. I have the opportunity to learn loads from the Instructors at Hemel.
I don't think there are many places with the variety of personalities and teaching styles to observe and learn from.
So yeh I intend to spend as much time at Hemel shadowing, also keep up the race club, who also said I could shadow their coaching sessions. Cool
I need to work on the points from my L1 Action plan and hope to get involved with some of the IOS Instructor training & Clinics through the rest of the summer..and I need to get to Bicester to get some fitted boots, my inners are dead...Might even have a little go at Boarding.. Toofy Grin
..Blimey!!! It's June nearly Shocked I'd like to plan some training on a glacier somewhere but am saving for a season in the 3V's Madeye-Smiley
What about yourself, are you on the Instructor pathway or rec skiing?
Edit: just remember you said you weren't interested in teaching, started late too..how goes it, any vids?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
slung together with Movie Maker

http://youtube.com/v/wnX1IMWmdEc
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
franzClammer wrote:
Bene,
Hi ya
Re: my BASI L1....
I just completed my BASP 1st Aid course.
Done the Child Protection Module & CRB.
I've done about 10hrs shadowing at Hemel so far, although that's strictly teaching time.
I'm in no rush to submit the 35hrs. I have the opportunity to learn loads from the Instructors at Hemel.
I don't think there are many places with the variety of personalities and teaching styles to observe and learn from.
So yeh I intend to spend as much time at Hemel shadowing, also keep up the race club, who also said I could shadow their coaching sessions. Cool
I need to work on the points from my L1 Action plan and hope to get involved with some of the IOS Instructor training & Clinics through the rest of the summer..and I need to get to Bicester to get some fitted boots, my inners are dead...Might even have a little go at Boarding.. Toofy Grin
..Blimey!!! It's June nearly Shocked I'd like to plan some training on a glacier somewhere but am saving for a season in the 3V's Madeye-Smiley
What about yourself, are you on the Instructor pathway or rec skiing?
Edit: just remember you said you weren't interested in teaching, started late too..how goes it, any vids?

Glad to hear you're still making progress towards your goals-a season sounds awesome! How are you planning on swinging this between your day job and commitments back home? I basically get away as much as the wife will let me and then a little more...... Toofy Grin

Yes purely recreational for me, I think what prompted me to post a while back was I found your thread very interesting (and entertaining!!) and in parallel to my own ski experiences we had a similar amount of ski time under our skis but you were focused getting into instructing while I just wanted to enjoy myself and open up more of the mountain to me-I'm sure you do enjoy yourself too! To that end while I'd love to have a job that involved skiing full time in the winter i.e. instructing the time, effort, and money it would cost me I'd rather just do holidays! Nearest fridge being 3 hours away is a big limiting also.

I'm hopefully going to get onto a glacier this summer and plan to do a couple of Snoworks courses next season.

Videos I'm still waiting on getting the footage from a mates camera as he leant it to someone when we got back and he hasn't had it returned ye.t
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Not much happening on here..."The Kipper Season" as they say, even I hadn't been on the planks for a fortnight!! Shocked Shameful Embarassed
Anybody wanna see some video of skiing at Hemel ? rolling eyes
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.

http://youtube.com/v/hqBQnJltBKI
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
franzClammer, you appear to have yet another outfit Laughing

Out of interest does anyone know both Hemel and Chill slopes well? On the videos Hemel always looks to me to be longer, wider and slightly less steep than Chill, is that so?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
CFe is 180m long and Mount hemel is 160m long.
CFe at widest (which includes nursery slope and park is 100m ) ( so main slope should be at least 30m wide along full length ) and Mount Hemel is over 30m wide so maybe a couple meters wider at most.

I have only been to CFe ( last time at HH it was a dryslope ) but HH always looked smaller to me on the video's both for length and usable/skiable width.

No idea which slope is the steeper or if they are about the same.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Oh ! and nice vid FC snowHead

Will the next one be of you skiing on one ski like your son wink
latest report
FWIW I've skied both a number of times. CFe is Def. longer, feels wider (due to how it is constructed), I venture that CFe is marginally steeper at the top. Given the choice of the two at equi-distant locations I would ski CFe, thought there is absolutely nothing wrong with HH (and it's closer to me), I tend to ski which ever is closer when I want to ski, but given that I am only 15 mins from CFe when I go North it almost seems rude not to take regular advantage of it when I am there.
ski holidays
speed098, Megamum, thanks for that, shows how the videos can be really deceptive then. Megamum, you are right about the gradient, I have seen the stats somewhere and CFe is steeper at the top than any other. Maybe another factor in CFe feeling shorter is the change in gradient at the bottom, Hemel looks to be consistent all the way down whereas CFe has the 'bump' and then flatter bit.
snow conditions
gilleski wrote:
Hemel is 15,12 then 10. I think(althoughnot sure) CF is 15, 10.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=59833
snow report
altis, Cool Thank you. I knew I'd seen it somewhere.
snow conditions
franzClammer, difficult to see very accurately, but there looked to be some nice clean tracks there! snowHead
snow report
franzClammer wrote:
http://youtube.com/v/hqBQnJltBKI

Was any of that from last Saturday ?

I think I was briefly in one of those shots when they were setting up the race club side Wink
snow conditions
pam w, thanks Cool
ski holidays
hxbro, indeedy t'was last Saturday
What were you wearing?
ski holidays
grey tresspass coat, black salopettes, white helmet
ski holidays
hxbro wrote:

Laughing It's like playing "Where's Wally" Laughing
You'll have to give us a time index, was you skiing?
eg: Rob@rar appears on left at 2:51

I had a good ski today, worked on feeling when the skis were flat & balancing on a solid platform before edging or pivoting.
T'was good to see a few regular faces & a couple of Snowheads on the slope Cool
ski holidays
franzClammer, Lovely to see you last night and what a difference in your skiing Shocked
I thought I did good actually managing to use 2 poles properly for the first time since January rolling eyes I now have to build the confidence thing again so lots of trips to Hemel over the summer.
snow conditions
hxbro wrote:

Someone matching that description between 3:40 and 3:45 at top of the lift.
snow report
Linds wrote:
I thought I did good actually managing to use 2 poles properly for the first time since January rolling eyes I now have to build the confidence thing again so lots of trips to Hemel over the summer.
Excellent news.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Linds, snowHead
snow conditions
Linds,
Quote:

I now have to build the confidence thing again
Nah, all you have to do is remember that flying, at speed, off a bank of snow that's about twice your height isn't such a good idea! The risk of that was why I didn't follow you: I reckoned I was going to have to come back on to the piste at some point and there was no way I could judge what the height of the jump would be at the relevant point.

Very glad you're better now. Very Happy
snow report
franzClammer wrote:
hxbro wrote:

Laughing It's like playing "Where's Wally" Laughing
You'll have to give us a time index, was you skiing?
eg: Rob@rar appears on left at 2:51

Only briefly shown...

4.57, at the top in the middle next to the blue coat
6.25 on the lift in the middle... I think Wink

I'll say hi next time, or maybe just follow you down so I can ridiculed over my skiing technique if filmed Wink
latest report
Linds, Hi Ya Smile
Was really good to see you guys skiing together again too.
I think the mobility is beneficial to the shoulder once it's healing, I use the physio strapping just for a degree of support.
I think the BASI course was just the prescription I needed, think I've started to get the hang of it now.
I know that compared to proper All Mountain skiing I'm still in Puo Puo Blush
But hopefully you'll continue to see improvement over the summer Smile likewise with your shoulder
latest report

Fine dining
Making good use of the dining room Toofy Grin
snow report

http://youtube.com/v/aZ9qwcpyiPY
snow conditions
franzClammer, if that was a client of yours who had skied like that and you were limited to on word of feedback, what would it be?
snow conditions
rob@rar wrote:
franzClammer, if that was a client of yours who had skied like that and you were limited to on word of feedback, what would it be?

Now I feel like Baldrick, I'm useless at riddles Embarassed ermmm .....stab in the dark.....BALANCE ???
or.... InsideOutClinic snowHead
latest report
Taller.
snow report
rob@rar wrote:
Taller.
new mantra
I'll carry my height through the turn
Thanks Rob
Very Happy
snow report
franzClammer, on the turns where you aren't well balanced and you push your skis out it is usually the result of not standing effectively on the outside ski as you begin the turn. Thinking "taller" at the beginning of the turn might help with making your extension movement meaningful and effective so you are better balanced in the setup phase, and therefore have more options for what you do with the rest of the turn.

You might have heard of the phrase "long leg, short leg" when working on increasing your edge angles? If your long leg (outside leg) is relatively short because you are too flexed for too much of the turn that is going to compromise how much edge angle you can create while staying laterally well balanced. Standing "taller" for more of the turn might help you create bigger angles once you understand the point that a long outside leg doesn't mean you stand upright (Ted can help us illustrate this point).

As an aside, restricting yourself to one word when offering feedback or an action point for the next run really helps/demands that you focus on the absolute essential skiing skills and is good discipline as you think more carefully about teaching.
ski holidays
Your skiing continues to improve and your analysis is spot on.

+1 to rob@rar's suggestion to stand taller.

For the speed you're skiing, the number and shape of the turns you're making, and the gradient of the slope you're skiing on, your body 'position' (and I emphasise the word position as there's not a lot of movement) is too stylised and exaggerated.

I'll add a second word - patience.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy