Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sir, Sir....Am I an Intermidiot yet???

Poster: A snowHead
sarah, No not yet. I think I need a few sessions at Hemel to underpin my technique & brush up on my CT demos etc
I was planning to take part on the IOS Fast Track but don't know if I can wait that long Madeye-Smiley
Are you taking the BASI route yourself ?

Meanwhile....this was fun .................

http://youtube.com/v/EJzt-RMSp18
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
So FK, you started this thread on Thu 11 Oct, 12

What do you think the answer is now??

Personally I think when you started this thread you had very little control over your line and speed, from that last vid you seem to have much improved control of line and speed, so well done Smile
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
kitenski, it's not the same bloke. I'm sure of it.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
dobby, Very Happy

Kitenski I hope I've also improved my posture, body management & balance a little too
wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

I hope I've also improved my posture, body management & balance a little too

surely that's why you have more control over line and speed? Posture, balance etc could be seen as inputs - control of line and speed as outputs?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

I was planning to take part on the IOS Fast Track but don't know if I can wait that long

First session is less than a month away.... We are opening up a second group as the first one is full , plenty of space in the pool why not jump in wink
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
have stolen one of the vids and put on my page really nice views lol Toofy Grin
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi franzClammer, great improvements. Looking at the vid of 31/3 and expanding on what Mike Pow said, you have flex in the 3 skiing joints (ankles, knees and hips) and if you just look at the ankles through the vid, you don't open the ankle (un-flex it, or stand up / lengthen as Mike as describing it). You'll find yourself getting much more "connected" to the ski and the snow if you can develop the range of movement. If you've been reading up on the BASI manual, you'll know that about the "Fundamental Elements" and that one of those is "Body Management" which splits into 3: posture, balance and movement. Your posture is looking good (as Rob says, look up), but there's not so much movement.

Might be worth having a go practicing "Falling Leaves" - sideslip and experiment with moving your balance point slightly forward and slightly backwards. What happens? What different movements can you make to move your balance point? Report back!

Best

A
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
abd wrote:
.......... and expanding on what Mike Pow said, you have flex in the 3 skiing joints (ankles, knees and hips) and if you just look at the ankles through the vid, you don't open the ankle (un-flex it, or stand up / lengthen as Mike as describing it). You'll find yourself getting much more "connected" to the ski and the snow if you can develop the range of movement..........

Best

A

Idea AHaaaaaaaa
I see........!!! (I think)
I did feel that there was something missing in my connection with the snow surface.
I've been keeping my ankles flexed which has been blocking the range of my other movements Shocked
I can see that I've been creating a platform by locking my ankles instead of allowing transmission up n down through the joint to/from the snow
Wow!
Thank you for pointing that out guys.
As Rob@rar pointed out...It must also contribute to the delay in me feeling my way across and onto my new o/side ski in the transition, so I've been rushing it to compensate & keep up with the skis, then searching for my balance point already half way through the turn (as well as making other weird unnecessary movements instead of appropriate adjustments) .
It feels/looks like I'm a hundredth of a sec behind the action rather than in command from the very beginning of the turn.
So allow all 3 joints to flex & UNFLEX rolling eyes
So I can get this in bitesize chunks....is my interpretation far off?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
franzClammer, best to think of these things as movements rather than fixed positions.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Also worth considering the following:

I've just got back from 2 weeks in the PdS for my Level 2. On day 1 our trainer got us doing small flatland jumps or pops ie flexing then quickly straightening (extending) so that both skis leave the ground. We were being tasked with not being "slappers" by ensuring that tips and tails leave the snow at the same time and land simultaneously. He told us the anecdote that back in the 1990s he was in NZ training their national squad for 6 days pw for 3 months and the 1st hour of training every day was spent on developing these skills. Popping over slalom poles laying flat in the snow across the direction of travel, flexing down to get beneath a hurdle.

Later in the course he broke down our short turns and had us straight running down a red, flexing & extending. Then he got us being over one ski then the other but tasked with not turning, in other words running a flat ski. This was then developed into bracquage.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
abd wrote:
Popping over slalom poles laying flat in the snow across the direction of travel, flexing down to get beneath a hurdle.
We do that at Hemel sometimes, occasionally taking off from one ski and landing on the other. Tricky but fun. Needs a fairly gentle slope otherwise it can get out of hand.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
No, I would say that is spot on franzClammer. Its equal flex in all 3 joints that you're after. You can practise this out of your ski boots:

look at yourself side on in a mirror. Stand straight, what do you notice? Chin over toes perhaps? Now flex so that you lower your height and your chin only moves vertically ie it doesn't move forwards or backwards. It requires equal movement in all 3 joints in order to manage this.

As another "self-check" you should be able to see that your shins (not chins!!!) and torso remain parallel at all times (think back to a parallelogram in your O Level maths).

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Fri 4-04-14 15:05; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
franzClammer, Don't think just do... try this next time at hemel, make a couple of runs of slowish round turns while making small hops with the skis coming off the deck. Pretend you are skipping rope while skiing. When you actually skip rope it is done mainly using the ankles; the knees and hips flex and extend a bit quite naturally, but the ankles are the key. You CAN skip rope with fixed ankles by moving your knees and hips but it is very, very awkward. Try it.. The movement chain of the three key skiing joints, ankle knee and hip starts with the ANKLE. Just like skipping rope trying to do ski without flexing your ankles is very awkward. Flex and Extend zee Ankles dear boy.. snowHead
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

your chins

I wouldn't stand for that FC, last time we met, there was definitely only one chin....
Very Happy
snow report
oops - thanks ansta1, now edited!
snow conditions
Quote:

small flatland jumps or pops ie flexing then quickly straightening (extending) so that both skis leave the ground.

one of easiski's very favourite exercises. Very difficult not to snatch. She also has people jumping just the tips, and just the backs, of the skis, as well as alternating between the two. Knackering.
ski holidays
pam w, yup, you can then develop that into "Swedish" turns where you jump up, lift the tip of one ski and the tail of the other - was doing those last week as well
snow report
franzClammer wrote:

So allow all 3 joints to flex & UNFLEX rolling eyes

Yep

Quote:
So I can get this in bitesize chunks....is my interpretation far off?

Nope.

Or to look at it another way, allow all 3 joints to be relaxed and unflexed, and flex them only if needed and only as much as needed.

e.g. how often do you see someone hunched over, small and flexed forward in the ankle doing a 360 on snow?
snow report
Mike Pow, rob@rar, skimottaret, abd & Everyone Else
Thank you all for the very professional input & advice.
May the Gods of Gnarl smile upon you all Toofy Grin
But in all seriousness, I'm eternally grateful for these recent replies.
Rest assured your words are not wasted
Cheers

snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
During the recent Snoworks Vanoise Safari week there was lots of talk of the North Face of Bellacotte, it being a classic off-piste route.
So here it is in all its splendour, for your televisual delectation, despite a distinct lack of snow.

Re: the skiing......Yes I was somewhat out of my comfort zone. I'm obviously over-rotating, allowing my uphill shoulder to drop and dragging the pole. rolling eyes Pretty crap skiing but nice views
Looking forward to a re-visit sometime in the not too distant.

Parts 2 & 3 to follow

http://youtube.com/v/IU5naRWn8jE
snow report

http://youtube.com/v/2qonA-x4yhE
snow report
Fair play, you're bloody game Smile
latest report
Mike Pow wrote:

+a million!

You are really ballsy franzClammer snowHead
latest report
Thank you Embarassed
What can I say..........just getting me moneys worth Toofy Grin
I think it's kinda between La Plagne & Les Arcs
The third and final Part is well pretty, it's uploading to youtube now, hopefully be done when I get home from Race Club later.
latest report
franzClammer, there are quite a lot of people in the group or were all the groups skiing together?
ski holidays
franzClammer, Nice work Cole, definitely looks like something I would like to try!

Out of interest, was that when you were skiing with the middle group? also what level did most of them say they were at on the snoworks scale?

cheers
ski holidays
Mike Pow wrote:
he is far too game at times, scares me trying to keep up with him. Toofy Grin
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
That north face of Bellacotte looks both amazing and seriously Intimidating well done you Bravo, (you really are mad LOL)Skullie and no I wont be following you down it just yet, Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Took 3 hours to get home from Hemel rolling eyes Time wise that's a quarter of the way to Meribel
Will respond to posts in the morn

http://youtube.com/v/xzyyYzI_Eew
snow report
franzClammer, Shocked How did your bases look after that lot?!
ski holidays
The Bellacotte vids were taken whilst I was with the middle group, both the mid & upper group did rendezvous at one point. Not sure what the lower group did.
I think the course was level 4+ on Snoworks scale. It was quite mixed from novice like me to seasoned veterans with decades of experience.

I think I took this video just after I got bumped up into the Mid group

http://youtube.com/v/E5mFqQcuhsg
snow conditions
I think there needs to be a thread 'Do you need b@11s and ability? Is one more important? If so which?'
snow report
Megamum wrote:
I think there needs to be a thread 'Do you need b@11s and ability? Is one more important? If so which?'
Confidence and control are both required, neither is more important than the other.
ski holidays
IMHO
Balls = taking risks. Taking risks= ability improves. Ability improves= more balls=taking risk=..........& so on
ski holidays
franzClammer wrote:
Taking risks= ability improves.

Hmmmm....without any technical understanding (i.e. input = output), I would say that taking risks is just that, taking risks with no ability improvement, or at least, limited ability improvement with a poor platform.
snow report
Quote:

Taking risks= ability improves

or could = doing the same thing year after year

or = crashing into somebody

or = injury

or = death Skullie
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Taking risks= ability improves

or could = doing the same thing year after year

or = crashing into somebody

or = injury

or = death Skullie

Hmmm
Pehaps I better consider teaching Chess instead Laughing

NB: Risks can be appropriate to ones ability & aspirations. The first time someone leans across their skis or attempts a reverse snow plough is a risk. It doesn't have to be life threatening.
Measured & considered risk within the bounds of acceptable safety margins is part of life, is it not
ski holidays
franzClammer, I'm interested to know why did you pick that particular course?

If you wanted to go and have fun, well that's a perfectly acceptable answer - you paid your cash and clearly had a fun time. However, if you booked it to improve your skills then there is still a bit of bit of me that wonders was it money well spent? Yes, you can engage a bar with tales of the 'time I skied the North face of Bellacotte' and like the others you already know that I admire your B@11s for doing so, but could you have made more improvements to your technique if you had done a course that concentrated on improving your on-piste skills instead? I do know that there is an argument for the skills that can be learned by skiing a variety of different pistes (and, yes, it is something that I should do a bit more of as it would probably benefit my confidence), but was it the sort of skiing that really helped your fundamental skiing skills or did it just pull every bad habit out of the box to help you get down the steep unpisted surfaces? As I know that would have happened to me and I am not sure it would have helped my own fundamental skills. Laughing Or do you think you now have the fundamental skills sufficiently embedded that you can move on to more interesting things - like the North Face of Bellacotte wink ? Very Happy
snow report
I think that those who boast about doing a run should make an effort to get its name right! The name is: Bellecôte

Moving swiftly on wink ........I agree with this
Quote:

Measured & considered risk within the bounds of acceptable safety margins is part of life

There seemed to be several less-than-brilliant skiers doing this run so, presumably, the Snoworks guys thought it would be safe and instructive for them to do. They probably know best, Megamum. wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy