Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hokkaido, Japan 2012/13

Poster: A snowHead
Plenty of snow in Rusutsu Smile
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
English language news about today's storm:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/XVQmvPcKRMM
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
After some bad weather and rain in the week, the snow returned with fury Thursday and Friday. Saturday we went to Sapporo Teine for the first time this winter. Snow cover was great, and most of the trails are now open. Some of the off piste is skiable, although the real highlight of Teine, the bowls, still need more snow to be totally filled in. A good day though, and we lucked in with a bluebird morning. Just north of Sapporo you can see the snow still pounding down. (My place is somewhere under that cloud, meaning I had alot of digging to do to clear my parking space when I got home!)

IMG_0985

Then today (Sunday) we went down to Kiroro. I've only been there once before, a couple of years ago. On that day most of the lifts were on wind hold, so I don't know the place at all. Unfortunately Mike Pow wasn't around to show me the good spots, so we were feeling our way a little bit. But the snow was incredible, legit chest deep in places. I was really impressed with the ski area and the snow, so I imagine I'll be back!

Screen Shot 2012-12-02 at 17.00.13

Unfortunately, as often happens this early in the season, a southerly wind is due mid-week, bringing warmer temperatures and rain. But hopefully it won't last long, and more snow will fall before next weekend. We'll be heading north, to hit Kamui and Asahidake.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Great to hear that Kiroro delivered.

Look forward to seeing the movie.

Hopefully ski together next time.

Which lifts were open please?

And a technical question, how long is the pole your using for the camera?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yep, it certainly did deliver. I can understand why you spend so much time there!

The gondy was open, plus Yoichi 1, and Asari 2. (maybe Yoichi 2 also, but not sure on that) Centre Express was running, but only for a ski team bashing the gates.

The pole is just a 120cm ski pole. It's a little too narrow for the Gopro handlebar mount, so I've wrapped a strip of foam and heavy tape around it just above the basket which gives the mount something to grip onto.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Good to read you 'get' Kiroro. Many don't.

Thanks for the info. That's where I'm going this morning Smile
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Where's that movie MagSeven? wink

Glorious sunshine in Kiroro today.

You got the best of it yesterday MagSeven, but I found a few spots that hadn't been hit snowHead
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
EDIT Mike Pow, I've put together some clips from the first couple of weekends of the season, see below.

It's horrible here today. Rain, rain, rain. Hopefully temperatures will drop again this evening and it'll turn to snow. The freezing level looks to be quite high at the moment, so the lower slopes in alot of places will be taking a beating.

Grim
Untitled

My parking area, where a couple of days ago I was clearing thigh deep snow
Untitled

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Tue 4-12-12 8:46; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Same down here Sad
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Here's something pieced together from the past couple of weekends:

Early Season from Andy Evans
https://vimeo.com/54837195
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Love it.

Can I pick your brain please?

Camera?
Software?
Computer you're using to put it together?

PS your young lady charges.

Hoping my lady can progress to the deeper pow this trip snowHead
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks Mike. Not using anything too fancy as you can probably tell! Mostly a GoPro 2, and a couple of shots with a very entry level Canon point and shoot. Put together on an iMac with iMovie.

Will pass on your compliments to Mrs MagSeven! She's a solid skier. Don't think a non skier could put up with me! I saw her skiing at Les 2 Alpes nearly 9 years ago, and then again that night in the Avalanche Club. The rest, as they say, is history! (I can't imagine many happy marriages have resulted from chance encounters at the Avalanche!)

Let's hope this bloody rain stops!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Cheers. Thanks for that.

It was meant to be obviously Smile
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It could be mid January up in Asahikawa area. We've been at Kamui Ski Links the past couple of days, where everything is open and the pow is deep. All the tree lines and back bowls are rideable. Saturday was pretty damn good. Today, after 50cm overnight, was insane! Deep snow, big pillows and soft landings.

Sorachi district, the area between Asahikawa and Sapporo has blizzard warnings in place for tonight, so many of the small local ski areas will be opening up this week.

Didn't take any photos but will try to take some stills from the GoPro to post soon.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Sorry, the quality on these isn't great, as they're screenshots from video.

No consequence jumps with soft soft landings!
Screen Shot 2012-12-09 at 17.47.23

Shredding
Screen Shot 2012-12-09 at 18.02.45

Pillows!
Screen Shot 2012-12-09 at 18.05.29

Next weekend we'll be heading down to Rusutsu on Saturday and then maybe Teine or Racey on Sunday. With the snow that's forecast this week, it could be another good'un!
snow report
Great.

Look forward to seeing the vid.

Friday was off the hook down here.

Saturday and today knee deep.

Tomorrow could be one for the ages as we're getting that storm you just had Smile
ski holidays
I might spend a bit of time finding some offpiste lines on East Mt this year, Mt Isola offpiste is getting too popular (Jan-Feb).
Just don't want to end up with a long walk back.
latest report
Not really explored too much of East, just the ridge linking East and Isola which is fairly well known. I reckon there's generally still enough pow to go around on Isola, except on busy days when it hasn't snowed for a while.

Video from last Sunday at Kamui
Powder day at the Links from Andy Evans
https://vimeo.com/55272609
ski holidays
Up, up and away
ski holidays
Rusutsu on Saturday was pretty good. The snow was slightly heavier because of the higher temperatures, and they still need a little more snow to fill in all the sasa. But it was still a good day.

December 15th at Rusutsu from Andy Evans
https://vimeo.com/55832177

The snow at Sapporo Teine on Sunday was better although still quite moist.

It's been snowing heavily today, and that should continue for most of the week. It'll be a couple of weeks until I'll get to enjoy it though - we're off to Oz and NZ for the winter break. Looking forward to alot more skiing in January!
snow report
MagSeven, nice videos!
snow conditions
Fair play
snow conditions
Hi everyone!

Just thought I'd pop in to say hello. My husband and I are heading out to Hokkaido in February. We'll be in Niseko from 17 Feb to 3 March then over to Furano for a week. Its my first time in Japan and for both of us its our first time boarding in Japan so we can't wait!

KT
snow conditions
MagSeven, any updates coming soon?
latest report
Haha, Sorry! I've been slacking! Was away for Xmas and New Year in the southern hemisphere. (Though still had some snow in early Jan in NZ!) Queenstown on Jan 3rd - middle of summer!?

IMG_4007

Haven't really posted anything since I've been back as Mike Pow's photos are far superior to anything I've got!

But, as you asked Ordinary_Skiier here you go.... Up here in central Hokkaido, we've had a dry sunny spell this week. Very cold, down to -20 the other day. But just today its started to snow again. The wind is coming up from the south, so its warm and moist, but that is forecast to swing round to come from the north west, which is what we like! Hopefully this weekend should be a good'un although it could get pretty windy.

Anyway, I have a few pics and videos, so I'll post them. Last weekend was sweet. Big snow falling through Friday night, so Teine on Saturday was awesome. Best day of the season so far, with deep pow and fresh tracks all day.

My buddy Florent in Bowl 4
IMG_1099

Here I'm hitting the 'Tree branch gap of doom' under the summit express chair. (A friend caught a tip under the branch and did an unplanned front flip!)
IMG_3387

Then Sunday we went to Mt Racey in Yubari for a bluebird pow day. Found a few new spots and as you can see, scored some decent pow, although not as deep as elsewhere. The empty mountain and blue skies made up for it!
IMG_1117
IMG_1119
IMG_3400

Couple of videos, first, a general one made last weekend.
A January Weekend from Andy Evans
https://vimeo.com/57782055

And then midweek I went up to Racey and had a few sunny laps of the park. (Shame to be riding park in mid January, but mother nature has been stingy this week!)
Park Laps at Mount Racey from Andy Evans
https://vimeo.com/58006640

Am happy to continue posting as the season goes on if people are interested. But am aware there is another Hokkaido thread going!
snow conditions
Well apart from a few days each season I have to live vicariously through you and Mike Pow, so the more the merrier AFAIC.

Blush

I'm sure others here would be in violent agreement with me. Besides, while there might be some overlap of resort areas in the two threads we're hardly talking about duplication.

BTW, I never did get around to thanking you for the Sapporo tips you gave me (albeit I think that was on the Snow Japan forums) last season. Every tip I followed was rock solid, so thank you muchly for that. The tip that really hit pay dirt above and beyond all overs though, was your bar/restaurant tip for Beifutei Aburasoba. It was fantastic. Particularly the food. We were particularly impressed with this cold/dry ramen dish they had there (can't remember the name but got the impression it was their signature dish)

We couldn't get enough of it, as you can tell by the reaction and impeccable table manners of my companions here:

Laughing

It was the culinary highlight of the trip for me in terms of flavours I'd never experienced before. That night I was also introduced to Yoichi Whiskey & Yebisu Creamy Top Stout. Yummeh!

But I digress. Keep the pics & vids coming please...
ski holidays
Too kind MagSeven.

Always look forward to your TRs, pics and vids.

Please keep 'em coming.

Hopefuly we'll get to ski pow together some time this season.
ski holidays
lol, I only just found the time to look at the latest update in detail. I take it that's you in the red jacket & yellow pants MagSeven?

You're definitely selling yourself short in the pic & vid department. Especially the terrain park vid. Great footage and well edited.

I'd go as far as to say it's nucking futs...

Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Cheers Mike Pow, likewise, would be cool to ride together sometime! And thanks Ordinary_Skiier, glad the Sapporo tips helped you out for your trip. Happy to help.

Just had a fairly mixed weekend up at Sapporo Teine. Saturday we had low expectations, with zero snow overnight at home, and just a little sleet/rain in the city. But once we got up there, the snow had arrived overnight. So we had a good time in the bowls jumping pillows and slashing pow.

Untitled
IMG_1129
Screen Shot 2013-01-26 at 20.05.56

Then today, after alot of snow overnight, we headed up the hill, expecting epic conditions, only to find the wind was too strong for the summit lift to run. So, to make the best of it, we headed down to the golf course halfway up the hill to build a kicker. Found a nice spot with good views over the city.

IMG_1147

And with deep soft powder landings, peer pressure and kodak courage, we had a fun jump session!
Screen Shot 2013-01-27 at 18.03.07

Next weekend will probably be heading up to Kamui, so we're hoping for more snow through the week.
latest report
Sweet
latest report
Some photos from the last few days in Niseko.

snow conditions
Noice.

PM sent
snow conditions
rob@rar, blimey Rob, last year you forgot screws, and this year you've forgotten skis if the first pic is to be believed Very Happy
ski holidays
ようこそ北海道 rob@rar and crew! Nice photos so far, although a bit too much of your lower legs are visible! Enjoy your trip. Hopefully we get some more snow early next week after the warm/stormy weekend that's in the forecast!

I was planning to head up to Asahikawa tomorrow for a Kamui/Asahidake combo, but with the sketchy weather, that's been put off until the following (3 day!) weekend. This weekend will probably be Sapporo Teine again Saturday and possibly Yubari or just a tour locally depending on the weather on Sunday.
ski holidays
Had a terrific meal last night in the wonderfully named Hurry Slowly Yo!

Followed by a drink in the Fridge Bar, where you enter through a fridge door.

Today's skiing was very enjoyable.

Food on the hill is somewhat different from tartiflette, wienerschnitzel or burgers Happy

snow report
1 week to go!

Laughing
snow report
Should be back to normal for your arrival
snow report
Some pictures of me cat skiing near Niseko- it was DEEP in most places! Snow is still there if you travel a bit to find it Smile

Nice snow

About to be engulfed again

GS with a smile Smile

There for a bit...

And gone again...

Another turn where I couldn't see anything except white stuff for a while

Yes it is that deep

Trying to stay light so as not too sink in too much.

And I was on 189 Whitedot Preachers so not a skinny ski!!! Fantasy Island indeed!! Very Happy
snow conditions
Sweet.

Worth every penny this week huh?

When was that, Wednesday?
snow report
Touchguru, which company did you head out with and were they any good?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy