Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hokkaido, Japan 2012/13

Poster: A snowHead
45mm of rain and a freezing level up to 2400 m for Kiroro this week Sad

http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/KiroroSnowWorld/6day/top
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yep, miserable at the moment. Warm and rainy. Till today the rain has been falling as snow up in Daisetzusan so Kurodake is still planning to open this weekend. Temps should drop a bit from tomorrow, but then another warm spell is due early next week. Unfortunately this means the snow isn't sticking around yet to form a base for Niseko or Sapporo area hills. 👎
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Late starts usually entail a bumper season overall in Hokkaido, do they not?

Or is that travel agent trickery?

I seem to recall there was a late start to the 11/12 season as well, and as we know, that season overall was off the hook. Here's hoping...

Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
There's a theory amongst the Japanese locals of Hirafu that the village gets between 12-14 m every year.

A poor start means a good middle and end, and every other combination from that.

I have experienced no snow 5 days before opening day, then the tap is turned on and it doesn't stop for 3 weeks.

Opening day the pistes are all open. 5 days later and it's bottomless all over the mountain.

So plenty of time yet.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yeah, no one knows! All we can do is keep our fingers crossed!

2011/12 actually was a really good early season. The previous year was a very late start, it didn't really get going till Christmas. We'll be skiing pow sooner or later, I'm just impatient!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Had a bit of snow through Thursday and Friday this week, which has mostly melted now.

Good cover up in Daisetsuzan though, although Kurodake cancelled its opening this weekend, and will hopefully open next Saturday. We took a trip up Asahidake today though in beautiful weather to score our first turns of the season. There was snow right down to the ropeway (which is still closed, a couple of weeks until opening day) but it was hard work hacking through the bamboo and shrubs that are all covered once the snow arrives. Made it most of the way up to the summit, but decided to call it as we were running out of time. The snow cover is very good for so early in the season. Probably up to a metre in sheltered areas higher up. A few photos:

IMG_0913

IMG_0918

Looking south from a little below the top ropeway station
IMG_0922

Last stretch before the Sugatami Pond
IMG_0933

Making our way down, finding the few areas of softer snow as best we could
IMG_0956

Looks like it'll be warm tomorrow, and then should cool down through the week with hopefully some snow down to low level all over....
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Well played.

I arrive on the 15th, the tap will be turned on soon after Wink
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
NHK's weather forecast shows the first snowmen of the year for Sapporo and even Akita at the end of the week.....fingers crossed MaqSeven and more of your wonderful pics please:sH:
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mike Pow wrote:
Well played.

I arrive on the 15th, the tap will be turned on soon after Wink

Nice! Welcome home! Please arrange for that tap to be turned on, and left on till April, ta!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'll do my best Smile
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Mike Pow wrote:
Fergus wrote:
Hi snowheads,

I'll be in Niseko for a week over New Year, flying from HK on the 27th. Can't wait, but in the meantime, what sort of conditions can I expect there at that time in the year?

Cheers

Based on the above your first day on snow would be 28 December.

For each December period please find the amount of snow prior to your proposed first day of skiing (01 December - 27 December) and the snowfall over the course of your proposed stay (28 December - 03 January)

Niseko Resort Area snowfall recorded at approx 300 m asl

Snowfall can never be guaranteed but Hokkaido is the area with the most consistent snowfall I've had the pleasure of skiing.

Great work, thanks for doing the leg work, making me super excited and glad I bought those Directors!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Pleasure
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Looks like you'll have timed your arrival well Mike. Very cold with drizzle/sleet today. A friend who lives in Furano reports snow falling there. Temperatures should drop further over the next few days so we should see more snow all over.

Kurodake and Furano are due to open this weekend. I think Kurodake will, but probably too little too late for Furano. I'd love to be wrong!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The early birthday and Christmas presents I asked for are on schedule Smile
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'm very envious Mike Pow & MagSeven. Can't wait to see the reports progress and photos come rolling in...
ski holidays
Sitting in my cabin in Higashiyama.

Had sleet and wet snow this evening. It's trying.

Monday onwards is looking good

http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Niseko/6day/mid
snow conditions
お帰り! Welcome back!
snow report
Thanks. It's great to be back.
snow conditions
Weather alert! Massive snowfalls in central Hokkaido. OK, well, not really, but the first snowfalls down at town level. Only very light here but should see some more over the weekend.

Untitled
snow report
Same in Hirafu

http://360niseko.com/blog/niseko-snow-report-16-november-2012/[/url]
snow report
Fergus wrote:
Great work, thanks for doing the leg work, making me super excited and glad I bought those Directors!

Just to prepare you, Directors are mid-fat at best compared to a lot of skis in Niseko. There is a reason for this.

Have a great time and very jealous of everyone who makes it to fantasy island this year.
snow conditions
Pissing down and foggy this morning (Saturday) in Higashiyama.

Who knows where the freezing level is.

Winter is on its way Smile
snow report
thebongolian wrote:

mid-fat at best

Skinny, really. Seem to remember them working ok though wink
snow report
ChrisWo wrote:
thebongolian wrote:

mid-fat at best

Skinny, really. Seem to remember them working ok though wink

That's because you are skinny
snow conditions
Can't wait to get on my powder sticks for this winter

Coreupt The Caspers
112-79-105

snow conditions
Mike Pow wrote:
Can't wait to get on my powder sticks for this winter

Coreupt The Caspers
112-79-105

Even on my Redeemers and at 190 cm tall there were days I could have done with a periscope in Niseko last season Very Happy
ski holidays
The sheer joy of skiing:

http://youtube.com/v/b-8AlsvCQCA
ski holidays
DoubleBombardino, outstanding! Laughing Laughing That's cheered up a bleak, damp Saturday morning in Battersea. The skiing version of 'When Harry met Sally'.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Pedantica, here in S Devon tis a cracker - high tide, calm sea, sun is out - BBQ time! See you in Tignes snowHead
ski holidays
DoubleBombardino, I can see that there are some advantages to living in the ar$e end of nowhere. Toofy Grin See you soon.
snow report
Pssssh, you're all on cross country skis. These are Hokkaido powder skis:

Miserable day down at low level in Hokkaido. Snow higher up. Kurodake and Furano cancelled their opening days for today though.

Hopefully this weekend and next week will see snow all over.

Here's a video from last weekend at Asahidake:
Asahidake Nov11 from Andy Evans
https://vimeo.com/53287673
ski holidays
Great vid.

The tap has been turned on in the Niseko Resort Area.

Went to bed under a starry sky. Got woken at 4am by torrential rain.

Woke at 10 am to see snow on the road.

Coming down nicely. Very windy so snow is getting pushed into all the cracks.

More to follow.

Could be on tomorrow Smile
ski holidays
Today's snow courtesy of 360 Niseko

http://360niseko.com/blog/niseko-snow-report-18-november-2012/

http://360niseko.com/blog/winter-has-landed/
snow report
Up here in central Hokkaido we had a few snow flurries during the day, and then more overnight. I woke up to this, and it looks like its starting to snow a little heavier now. Looking good for alot of hills that are planning to open on the public holiday this coming Friday.

Untitled
snow conditions
30 cm coverage top to bottom this morning (Monday 19 November) at Niseko Hirafu, with areas up to 50 cm deep.

Was out with Glen Claydon and hopefully he got some pics and vid of us skiing superlight powder.
snow report
Sounds awful, glad I was stuck inside at work all day 👎

Got the morning off tomorrow, hoped to get a few cheeky runs in at one of the local hills, but I don't think there'll be enough snow yet.
ski holidays
It's a dirty job, but someone has to do it wink
ski holidays
My SR for Hokkaido is up, today was all time

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2144260#2144260
ski holidays
MagSeven, any updates coming soon?
ski holidays
Sorry Ordinary_Skiier, been a bit busy in the past week! I've enjoyed reading Mike Pow's reports from Shiribeshi though! Up here its been pretty good too.

Since my last update last week, most of central Hokkaido has received snow. On Wednesday I went up the local hill and got knee deep but heavy powder:

Iwamizawa Greenland. Nov 21st from Andy Evans
https://vimeo.com/53998459

Then on Friday we headed down to Rusutsu for its opening day. It was excellent. Only one lift open, but totally deserted. Two runs were open on Mt Isola, with ankle deep soft snow.

Stoked on opening day
Untitled

Untitled

There were a few roped off sections, which had the deepest of the snow. Of course, rules are made to be broken.
Untitled

Saturday we drove right up to the north coast, going past Asahikawa. Kamui was well covered top to bottom and should open as scheduled on Saturday. Friends have been up at Kurodake and reported waist deep snow. On the road that lead north from Asahikawa through northern Daisetsuzan, there was tons of snow, making the drive quite interesting!

Yesterday, alot of rain fell, although mostly as snow in the mountains. Today the weather has been really bad. Alot of snow has come down, but we've had very strong winds. Up to 150km/h in some areas of the south, leaving around 40,000 people without power. Hopefully after some more rain in the forecast tomorrow, the rest of the week should be snowy and cold.

Will be going to Sapporo Teine on Saturday, and maybe Kiroro on Sunday.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy