Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hokkaido, Japan 2012/13

Poster: A snowHead
If you make it over to Teine, be sure to give me a shout!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Will do snowHead
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We've had blizzard conditions since late yesterday afternoon. And its still going. Last night we had strong winds, thunder and lightning, and the snow hasn't stopped. With the wind funnelling between buildings etc, there are some huge snowdrifts in town, the snowplows are working overtime. I had to dig my way out of my apartment this morning as a snowdrift had totally blocked the doorway! In sheltered areas, probably 50/60cm has fallen in the last 12 hours.

Schools, buses, trains etc cancelled in this area.

I'm hoping it'll ease off by this evening, so I can hit the nighta at the local hill!

Last night at the ski hill, just as the wind was picking up. I called it a day after this.
Untitled

Here's the webcam outside the station in my town
Untitled

Radar image right now. I live in the central area where the two streams of snow are meeting. It looks to be moving east, towards Sahoro and Tomamu, where I'll be going this weekend!
Untitled
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Raging here too Sad
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Just back from Tomamu and Sahoro, two fairly well known ski hills in the Tokachi area, around 150km east of Sapporo. The region doesn't get as much snow as the areas in the west, but it is consistently colder, so the snow is alot lighter. Also it doesn't get the crowds.

Saturday was Tomamu. There had been maybe 5cm overnight, but higher up on the hill, the snow that had fallen in the week was still fresh and untouched.

Looking up at the highest point of Tomamu once the sun came out in the afternoon
IMG_1309

Most of the good powder stashes are in the lightly tree'd slopes accessed by a single chair heading up to just below the summit
IMG_1294

Which we lapped, finding different lines and fresh tracks all morning
Screen Shot 2013-02-24 at 17.47.14

Until the sun came out and we headed over to the park. I know, I know, why hit the park when there's powder!?? But the park at Tomamu is probably the best in Hokkaido at the moment. And we ride powder most of the time, so it was really fun to hit some big jumps and a well shaped pipe for a change!

Halfpipe to the left, kicker line to the right
IMG_1308
Screen Shot 2013-02-24 at 17.33.34

I'd definitely recommend Tomamu as an alternative to the more popular Hokkaido resorts. We had alot of fun there, and will be back.

Sunday we headed over the pass to nearby Sahoro. A slightly smaller resort with only a Club Med, and one other hotel at its base. It was soooo quiet. Barely anyone at all on the hill. It hadn't snowed overnight, but we still had untracked powder all day.

Looking up from the base.
IMG_1320

Looking out over the Tokachi plains from the top of the Sahoro gondola
IMG_1317

Even spots in plain view of the chairlifts were left untouched!
Screen Shot 2013-02-24 at 17.57.22

We did have a couple of occasions where ski patrol blew whistles at us when we were riding off piste (no signs preventing us from doing so!) We asked them what the problem was, and they just said that we shouldn't ski off the trails! Hmmmm. So in the afternoon we had to be a little craftier and we found a zone in the trees with lots of pillows and a nice steep pitch. It was like Strawberries at Hanazono, with just us there lapping it.
Screen Shot 2013-02-24 at 19.28.38

It was a great weekend, checking out two spots that I hadn't been to before. Next weekend we'll be down in Niseko. Probably will hit Chisen on Saturday and then see how we feel on Sunday after no doubt having a few beers in Hirafu on Saturday night!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Great post. I've always wondered what Tomamu and Sahoro would be like. How do you think they'd be for guys like me who're too lazy to learn Japanese?

Hint: I did a day trip to Teine in 2008 and language really was an issue when trying to hire skis and get a lift pass. My hand signing was worked overtime that day...

Smile
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Back in the land of fire and ice, will definitely be back though as we had a super awesome time. TR to come when I get everything collated.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ordinary_Skiier wrote:
Great post. I've always wondered what Tomamu and Sahoro would be like. How do you think they'd be for guys like me who're too lazy to learn Japanese?

Reckon you should be ok, especially at Sahoro with the Club Med bringing in some overseas visitors. Tomamu I guess caters more to the Japanese tourist, but I'm sure there'd be a few English speakers.

Short video edit from the weekend:

Tomamu & Sahoro from Andy Evans
https://vimeo.com/60430619
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Nice skills
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Been warm the past couple of days, +3/4 ish. Looked like it might rain this morning, but luckily it held off. At lunchtime the wind shifted and temperature dropped. Snowed about 20cm through the afternoon.

Would've been a great nighta at the local hill, but am having to head out for dinner with friends for Mrs MagSeven's birthday. Grumble!

Heading down to Niseko tomorrow afternoon. Not sure how Saturday will be, looks like its gonna be very windy so might not get much skiing done. Sunday should be good.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Wot, no offpiste bibs at Tomamu? Shocked
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
moosewurst wrote:
Wot, no offpiste bibs at Tomamu? Shocked

I know right? Rebels. Seemed hardly anyone was wearing them.

We had some terrible weather on Saturday. 8 people died in the blizzards in Hokkaido, mostly up in the north and east. People stuck in cars, or caught out in the open. One heartbreaking tale of a father and daughter out overnight in the storm. The father died sheltering the daughter who survived.

http://post.jagran.com/six-people-die-as-blizzards-hit-northern-japan-1362300262

We were down in Niseko. Saturday the wind was very strong, with snow falling on and off through the day. We headed to Hanazono, but as soon as we got to the lift, they closed it. Headed over to Hirafu but didn't get any skiing in. Had a decent afternoon on the beers though!

Sunday we headed over to Chisenupuri. The ski area is going to close at the end of this season, so wanted to get in there before the closure. Lots of fresh snow overnight, and the wind had mostly died down. Lots of fun in deep snow.

IMG_1324

Untitled

Jumping off pillows

IMG_1344

Jibbing

Untitled

The sign says "This is ski paradise". Its true.

IMG_3543

Forecast looking a bit sketch for later next week. Climbing temperatures and windy on Friday/Saturday unfortunately. Hoping to go to Sapporo Teine at the weekend, but we'll wait and see what the weather does.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Great to see you got the goods yesterday at least.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
As per Mike Pow's report. Mental weather here. Winter is back. This season really has seen some very strong winds. This weekend was no different. Tons of snow through Friday and Friday night. Strong winds on Saturday morning up at Teine. Most lifts on hold, but we hiked to the summit and scored an incredible run down bowl 1. Run of the season, big fast turns down a really steep open bowl. The summit lift opened later in the afternoon, so we had a few more of the same, although we were pretty knackered at that stage!

Sunday, windy again. Went to Yubari for a Mount Racey session. Loads of snow again, but most lifts on hold. Got a few lines, but mostly just jibbed around in the park making the most of soft landings. Some mates went to Kamui, sounded unreal, it was less windy up there so the gondy opened. Shoulda gone to Kamui!

Looks really unsettled through the week, wind and snow. Hopefully it'll mellow out a bit by next weekend, I'm getting very fed up with closed lifts and wind!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Posted a few thoughts and photos from our trip in February:
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=98911
snow report
Awesome day down at Rusutsu today. It was rain/sleet at home when we left this morning, but snowing quite heavily in Sapporo and further south through Jozankei and over Nakayama pass. Rusutsu had had a bit overnight. The best part was, it was empty. Seems like most of the tourists have headed off, and most Japanese have called it a day for the season. No competition for snow. We got fresh tracks all day.

My friend Toshi, keeping it casual
IMG_1360

Not super deep, but deep enough!
IMG_1366

One of the more famous drops in Rusutsu
Screen Shot 2013-03-16 at 20.00.45

Coming back through Sapporo this evening it was snowing pretty heavily
Untitled

Will be heading to Teine tomorrow, probably on a solo mission. Should be fun!
ski holidays
Excellent
snow conditions
The sun came out today so the views from Teine were beautiful. On a clear day I reckon it's got to be one of the best views from a ski area. There was a good amount of snow overnight, and it stayed nice and light through the morning. I was riding solo, so got a load of quick laps of the Summit Express chair. The sun got a little warm after midday and the snow got heavy so I called it a day at around 1:00.

View of Ishikari and the Sea of Japan from the summit

GOPR2646

The large couloir under the ropeway was filled in with enough snow to be skiable. This is the top of the chute. It narrows to a little over a ski width and kinks to the left halfway down. No idea how steep it is but it definitely gets the heart pumping.

GOPR2647

Didn't hang around to take many pictures, but I had SkiTracks running on my phone. This is the alternative trail map for Teine. The official ski area is on the left of this image. All the good stuff is in the bowls out to the right.

photo

The wind has really picked up this evening. The temperature looks like its going to be sky high tomorrow with alot of rain forecast up to around 1,000m. It should mellow by Tuesday, and then snow should return on Wednesday. Wednesday is a national holiday so I'll be off work and skiing somewhere. I hope the rain doesn't mess things up too much!
latest report
Good to see Hokkaido is still delivering. If it keeps delivering through to 3rd of April I'll be a very happy chappy...
snow report
Coming back for more? You never know... last year I definitely had a couple of lift served powder days in April. Fingers crossed for this year. We've certainly got more snow in the forecast from tomorrow.
ski holidays
Yeah I'll be staying in Hirafu from 29 MAR - 03 APR, Easter Weekend basically, and then overnight in Sapporo before heading off to Nagoya for a wedding.

Hope to pick and choose resorts in the area on a daily basis as conditions dictate, but not sure yet how I can do that without hiring a car. Workload is hindering my research capabilities ATM.

Will probably need some touristy options as well if things are grim snow-wise.

On the car front, does anyone know any good/budget car rental options? I have a valid international license so that's not an issue
latest report
Ordinary_Skiier, I'm not that clued up on car rental. When I've been elsewhere in Japan and I've hired a car, I've used Toyota Rent a Car. English site: http://rent.toyota.co.jp/en/index.html Not too much info on there, but they have English speakers available if you call them. I'm sure there are plenty of other options though.

I went up to Sapporo Teine yesterday. Didn't stay long. The snow was terrible. We'd had rain Monday and sun on Tuesday. Everything off piste was crusty and lumpy. I didn't take any pictures, it wasn't really worth it!

It started to snow around lunchtime though, and then it really closed in last night. Around 15cm was on the ground this morning, and it had drifted alot deeper in places.

Untitled

Still falling this morning. The roads were mostly free of snow around here yesterday, but it's looking very wintery again now.

Untitled

Looks like it should continue snowing until the weekend. I'm looking forward to checking out Sapporo Kokusai on Saturday. Kokusai is well known for getting some of the deepest snow in the area (it's just a stone's throw from Kiroro, where so many of MikePow's photos of super deep pow come from.) I haven't been there before, but a mate is a local there, so he's going to show me around.
snow report
Thanks for the link MagSeven, will definitely check it out...
snow conditions
Love Sapporo Kokusai.

Heading there Monday I think.

Enjoy.
snow report
Kokusai certainly lived up to the hype today. Incredible day for late March. Nice deep and light pow. It was a little busy, but most people seemed to be sticking to the piste. Stupidly, leaving the house early this morning, I managed to leave my boots behind. So I spent the day slipping and sliding around in a pair of rentals, but other than that, an awesome day!

Riding under the gondola
IMG_1370

My mate Peter under the gondola
Screen Shot 2013-03-23 at 19.17.38

Small wind lip
IMG_1372

The snow closed in later in the day and was really pounding down at points. Peter busting his ass to learn 360s, despite the blizzard!
IMG_1378

The road into Kokusai has a crazy 360 degree loop, climbing up next to a dam. It's certainly still looking wintery.
GOPR2652

Tomorrow will be another solo mission to Sapporo Teine. With the snow that was falling this afternoon and this evening, it should be a good one.
latest report
Good to see it delivered.

Same the other side of the ridge snowHead
ski holidays
A beautiful morning up at Teine. It started a little grey, but soon the sun was out. A nice amount of fresh snow overnight so the bowls were in great condition. Feels great to still be riding deep pow this late in March!

Looking up at Teine Highland from the access road. The bowls are all underneath and to the lookers right of the pylons at the summit.
IMG_1382

I was riding by myself and had my GoPro, so I put together some of the POV footage.

Solo Mission to Teine from Andy Evans
https://vimeo.com/62542519

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Mon 25-03-13 2:36; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Lovely.

That terrain looks great.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hello everyone,Im planning a ski trip to Niseko next year in Jan..not sure to maximase the chances to have and ski the best of powder snow during my stay which week will be the best to be there second week from (10 Jan) of or third week onwards? Any suggestions please.
snow report
Maybe the third week would be better as it might be slightly less busy in Niseko itself. Anytime in January you'll most likely have lots of snow. Barring a shocking early season, all the off piste should be skiable by 10th Jan.
ski holidays
toro wrote:
Hello everyone,Im planning a ski trip to Niseko next year in Jan..not sure to maximase the chances to have and ski the best of powder snow during my stay which week will be the best to be there second week from (10 Jan) of or third week onwards? Any suggestions please.

Not a lot of difference between the second or third week in terms of snowfall in the seven winters I've been keeping records.

Check when Chinese New Year is for 2014.

That makes it busier and more expensive accommodation wise.
ski holidays
thank you for your info, I'm really up for it , looking forwards to experience deep powder runs..it looks so fantastic from the immages and videos..
hope to get it when I''ll be there? Very Happy Very Happy
Also would like to ask you about the terrain in Niseko area and neighbough resorts;
I know that the vertical it is not comparable to Europe/north America been only small hills; but how would you rank it ,in terms of challenging runs ,steep and backcountry terrains?
ski holidays
Hokkaido is all about snow quality, quantity, and consistency in my opinion.

The terrain is comparable to the lower Austrian and German resorts I've skied - a little above treeline skiing, a few open bowls, but mostly tree lined groomed runs and off groomed runs through birch forests and a little conifer.

The pitch is mellow but challenging enough.

Whilst the vertical is in the neighbourhood of 600 m, with negligible lift lines compared with the more popular European resorts you can easily do enough laps in a day to match a good day in Europe.
snow conditions
We had a sad incident last week in Hokkaido. A fair amount of new snow fell early in the week, accompanied by fluctuating temperatures. A couple of friends hiked Furanodake in Daisetsuzan early on Thursday morning. When they started their descent they triggered a shallow slide which took one of them down a chute. He wasn't buried, but very badly injured. Unfortunately he passed away in hospital on Friday. He was a great skier and a real pillar of the expat community here. He'll be missed.

We had a mellow weekend. We went to Tomamu on Saturday for the day. There was snow throughout the day but most of the off piste was quite scrappy and windblown. We mostly stuck to the park and halfpipe.

Tomamu from the top

Untitled

The terrain park

Untitled

Yesterday we did a Craig David (Chilled on Sunday) and headed into Sapporo to get our bikes sorted and ready for the summer. Hoping to put in some miles, cycling and camping around the island once the snow melts.

This morning, April 1st we had some quite heavy snowfall, even down here at (more or less) sea level.

Untitled

The forecast for this week is fairly typical for early April - the odd snow shower, rain, sun.
ski holidays
MagSeven, sympathy on the sad death of your friend. Sad
snow report
Yeah he was a friend of one of my students who lives in Tokyo.

Sad news.
latest report
Thanks.

It's been warming up this week, with no new snow to speak of. So warm that we camped out last night. We didn't end up as ice cubes or bear food either - result!

GOPR2799

Headed to Sapporo Teine today with my mate Tim, who is a snowboarder. We had a crossover session, me on a board and Tim skiing. The snow was quite slushy but it was a fun day, and especially nice when the sun came out.

IMG_3626

Shredding hard down the beginner slopes in the slush.

IMG_1408

Tim looking out over Sapporo. I think his hat is visible from Odori Park

IMG_1415

Heavy rain is coming in tonight, so no riding tomorrow. Hoping for a bit of snow next week. Will maybe hit Kurodake next weekend...
snow report
Also, I nearly forgot! Ordinary_Skiier, how was your trip last weekend?
ski holidays
We had a bit of new snow fall down to sea level in Central Hokkaido last night. A fair bit more in the Daisetsuzan range, which is set to continue through the weekend. We're oing to do Asahidake on Saturday with a few people, hoping for a nice late season powder day. Looks like the winds will be strong (again!!) on Sunday, but the snow should keep falling through until early next week.
snow report
All the new snow that fell during the week meant we had a great day at Asahidake yesterday. It was like a full on mid winter powder day, with low temperatures and deep dry snow. The visibility was pretty terrible at the top, so we were feeling our way for the first few hundred metres out of the ropeway, but once we hit the trees, it was all good!

Leaving Asahikawa, a sprinkling of snow had fallen overnight
Untitled

Heading up into the national park, starting to look very wintery
IMG_1423

Snow falling lightly at the base of the ropeway
Untitled

Ross shredding through the trees
Screen Shot 2013-04-14 at 12.33.44

POV shot
Screen Shot 2013-04-14 at 12.37.05

Could be mid winter
Untitled

Today, typically for this winter, we've got very high winds, so no skiing. Amazingly, this snow is forecast to continue through the week, so we might get another powder day or two before the end of the season!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy