Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hello! we know about winter tyres...

Poster: A snowHead
@DTB, Hello,

Yes these wheels will fit no problem, the difference is just one millimeter inwards.

Thanks Chris
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
backhojo wrote:
Hi Tyremen. we have an audi a6 Allroad (2013) with Goodyear EfficientGrip 225/55/18 98V SUV 4x4 M+S. would you view these as "winter tyres" ? We are driving to the alps in january and was hoping that with the Quattro and these tyres we would be OK until it gets really bad and then put chains on.
Also - what is your take on chains on a Quattro. bit of a debate as to whether to put them on the front or the rear ?
winter tyres are expensive so would rather not get any if I dont have to as we dont get much snow here in Lincoln. (i work in Hull so if i do end up needing winter tyres you are going to get my business !). thanks

Hello thanks for your question,

The Goodyear EfficientGrip is most defiantly not a winter tyre. Yes the main dealer will tell you the M + S means mud and snow, but this is 100% not the case these are a full summer tyre. The legal requirement is you will need tyres
that have the snowflake symbol and the mountain symbol the marking mean they have been put through the strictest winter tests. if you follow this link to our winter driving law in Europe https://www.tyremen.co.uk/winter-driving/european-tyre-laws I think you will find you need to have winter tyres.

Chris
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
thanks for the reply. We are only driving in france and have not seen areas where winter tyres are mandated. usually just snow chains, which we will get. anyone have experience of madatory winter tyre areas on france ?If so can this be circumvented by fitting chains ?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@backhojo, common sense. chains are useful in snow. Not on sluch or asphalt. Weather can play a trick - one moment it is all nice and sunny but it can change very fast (especially in mountains). You need winter tyres and chains. Chain is not a substitute to winter tyres - they come to deal with deep snow and hard packed snow if your winter tyres are less than 'average' (cheap chinese type or worn). If slush, black ice, light covering of snow - summer tyres are really dangerious (to you and those arround you). If you have no means to equipe your vehicle properly, please do not come to France Wink It is annoying when roads up to resorts are blocked by ignorant drivers but more importanlty, I myself had a few 'brown troussers allerts' when seeing cars spining arround just in front of me.... It snows/rains and temperatures fluctuates quite a lot in mountaineus regions. why put your family at risk for 400-900 of pounds.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
update - just had a call from the previous owner of the car who has some winter tyres for it that I can buy from him. they are conti cross contact winters. price to be decided. looking online then for my size 235/55/18 it woudl suggest they are around £600 a set. I am guessing these are pretty decent winter tyres ? he says they have the snowflake symbol on them. is there any risk they could be M+S only and not true winters - ie do conti do a cross contact winter that is not a true winter ?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@tyremen, Hi you don't have the Nissan Murano listed (I guess as it wasn't a great success in the UK) - winter tyres required size 235/65 R18 104T - any suggestions? Thanks.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Mon 12-10-15 13:11; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
backhojo wrote:
update - just had a call from the previous owner of the car who has some winter tyres for it that I can buy from him. they are conti cross contact winters. price to be decided. looking online then for my size 235/55/18 it woudl suggest they are around £600 a set. I am guessing these are pretty decent winter tyres ? he says they have the snowflake symbol on them. is there any risk they could be M+S only and not true winters - ie do conti do a cross contact winter that is not a true winter ?

Continental certainly class them as a proper Winter tyre so they should be fine http://www.continental-tyres.co.uk/www/tyres_uk_en/themes/4x4-tyres/winter-tyres/crosscontact-winter/conticrosscontact-winter.html
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hello @under a new name,

There is plenty of 235/65R18 winter Tyres available,

My recommendation would be the Continental Conticrosscontact these are 110H meaning 110 =1060kg per tyre and H means the tyre is rated at 130mph.
https://www.tyremen.co.uk/tyres/23565r18-continental-conticrosscontact-winter-110h-xl

When you say we don't list the Murano, are you looking for wheels and tyres?

Thanks Chris
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi, @backhojo,

@Red Leon, Is correct, anything Continental winter will be marked with the snowflake and mountain symbol.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks to Tyreman I've just about made up my mind on buying new wheels and winter tyres. The only issue I've got is that the Nissan Qashqai the wheels are for has tyre pressure sensors built into the valves. I can buy new wheels with these sensors fitted, but the Nissan dealer where I bought the car says that I can't just swap wheels over and that the car would need to go into the garage to have the tyre sensors paired up to the car electronics every time we swap wheelsets. This sounds pretty daft to me but it'd be good to know if anyone on here has a Nissan with pressure sensors and has successfully swapped wheels.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Valkyrie, what happens when you put the spare on?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
It's not got a spare, just one of those repair kits and a pump.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Valkyrie,

The issues with TPMS is a killer for us on some vehicles, some cars are self learners or can be prompted to pick up the new sensors via the menu.
On the Qashqai you would need to have this plugged in to a OBD machine to have the sensor work as mentioned above.
But this is not a big expense, the reason you can't just fit random TPMS valves is the codes on the valves are unique to that sensor.
We have a machine here that will clone OE valves this eliminates the need for reprogramming.

Chris
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
tyremen wrote:
@Valkyrie,

The issues with TPMS is a killer for us on some vehicles, some cars are self learners or can be prompted to pick up the new sensors via the menu.
On the Qashqai you would need to have this plugged in to a OBD machine to have the sensor work as mentioned above.
But this is not a big expense, the reason you can't just fit random TPMS valves is the codes on the valves are unique to that sensor.
We have a machine here that will clone OE valves this eliminates the need for reprogramming.

Chris

This in any event is only relevant once using a new set of wheels and valves - if tyres are fitted on the same wheels, using save valves then there should be no difference, isn't it?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If I can get cloned valves then it's something that only needs doing once. If the valves aren't cloned then it's a trip to the garage twice a year to get the car to recognise the new wheels. Good to know that it's possible to get a clone, the trouble is that I'm in Scotland and Tyreman is in England. So I need to find somebody in Edinburgh area that can clone the current valves on to the valves on the winter set.
snow conditions
I wonder what they do in Germany and Austria where tyre swapping is the norm.
snow report
@boredsurfin, @backhojo, @rob@rar, @mooney058, @robboj, @DTB,

I am getting lots of messages and questions, and would like to answer as many possible and not over look any,

If you can could you PM me or direct email me chris@tyremen.co.uk, for some reason i'm not getting all the notifications maybe somebody could help me with this?

Once I have answered your question I will re-post the question and answer.

Thanks Chris
snow conditions
Valkyrie wrote:
If I can get cloned valves then it's something that only needs doing once. If the valves aren't cloned then it's a trip to the garage twice a year to get the car to recognise the new wheels. Good to know that it's possible to get a clone, the trouble is that I'm in Scotland and Tyreman is in England. So I need to find somebody in Edinburgh area that can clone the current valves on to the valves on the winter set.

I think @Tyremen is saying he can supply wheels & tyres complete with new TPMS valves already cloned so the car recognises them without a trip to the garage (or to Tyremen). I may have mis-read, though.

@Mooney058 It's more usual to have each set of tyres on separate rims - swapping wheels is much easier than swapping tyres

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Fri 16-10-15 12:29; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
@mooney058...I am not planning on coming to the alps without equiping properly, just working out the best combination. Quattro, summer tyres, winter tyres, socks, chains ...various options available. Complicated by the fact that Audi Quattros cant be fitted with any old chains due to limit suspension clearance ! I have driven many hire cars on socks / chains so experienced at driving in snow.
ski holidays
@backhojo, For my Allroad Quattro I used Avon Ice Tour winter tyres, and got MaggiTrak Sport chains - which fitted on the "no fit" tyres. In quite a lot of trips, including very heavy snow (last car through before the road was closed scenario) I never actually needed to fit the chains.
latest report
@RobinS, thanks for the tip. The handbook says we can fit chains up to 10mm , I am looking at the Thule/Konig zip ultra as they are around £100. I think with the quattro and winter tyres it will be rare if I need to use the chains - might have to put them on for show to keep the local gendarmes happy ! just had a look and they dont list a maggi trak sport for my tyre size - 235/55/18. woudl have to be the more expensive Maggi Trak 4x4 Sad
ski holidays
Our winter tyres going on right now, as we're off to Alps next week and there's already been snow on the Cols, so best to be prepared.
ski holidays
For the all year round answer it has to be the Michelin Cross Climate tyre. No more faffing about.
latest report
@Hells Bells, I am very jealous!
snow report
@tyremen, excuse me for not reading all 12 pages of this thread but how much of a compromise is the best all season tyre to a winter and a summer tyre?

And, forgetting cost, what is consistently rated as the best performing all season tyre?
ski holidays
@waitrose, a good question. Since the German regs changed there have been a few new ones which are good in winter conditions not sure re summer performance or wear.

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2014-All-Season-Tyre-Test.htm
latest report
@jbob, thanks for the link. Cannot understand why the Uniroyal was put in 4th place when in terms of its braking performance it has the best combined scores.
snow conditions
waitrose wrote:
@tyremen, excuse me for not reading all 12 pages of this thread but how much of a compromise is the best all season tyre to a winter and a summer tyre?

And, forgetting cost, what is consistently rated as the best performing all season tyre?

I tested the Michelin cross climate tyre at Mira verse other premium summer then winter tyres and my findings were.

Not quite as good as a full summer tyre. Maybe 90% of the performance of the best on the day (Bridgestone) Summer tyre. Then 95% as good as the best winter tyre (Continental).
So a fantastic compromise. My cars shod with the cross climate now.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
...it might be a daft question,but I've always wondered..
If you have snow tyres fitted,do you still need to put on snow chains in extreme conditions?
When the "snow chains obligation" signs are on will the French police let snow tyres proceed without chains?
Puzzled
latest report
@lambert, usually yes they will, but there may still be occasions that they insist on you using your snow chains, or where you may think they are necessary. We've never had to get ours out yet.
latest report
@lambert, I have winter tyres fitted and still have had to use chains for the 2 seasons I have done in Austria, mind the apartment is up a 17% incline. When there is a lot of new snow or when the road is icy winter tyres alone are not enough, giving screw in tyre spikes a go this season to see how they go.
@Hells Bells, I put my winter tyres on yesterday as I too am off to the alps shortly.
snow report
@Chris_n, see you soon! Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
Chris,

Can you please give me some prices for winter tyres only, 215/55/16 on audi a4.

Regards
ski holidays
Quick question:

I have a Skoda Octavia Estate. Should I change the current low profile tyres out for either:

1/ Same profile 225/45/17 on existing alloys.
2/ Get 205/55/16 with cheap new 16" alloys.

I had heard that low profile tyres and larger wheels dont perform as well as small wheels and more rubber, therefore is option 2 the best route?

It has the advantage of not having to pay a garage to refit the summer tyres after the winter too!

cheers
snow report
Just put some of the new all-season Nokian Weatherproofs on the wife's SUV which we'll leave on all year round. I did look at just getting winter tyres with new wheels and swapping them each spring/autumn (which is what I've done with previous cars) but the added cost of the TPMS pushed me towards having one set which we can use all year round.

Kept the old (summer) tyres just in case we have to replace a tyre in the middle or summer when we can't get a replacement Nokian.
snow report
What is it with these TPMS things, don't people check tires regularly for damage and uneven ware when they check the pressure 👿
snow report
harrim51 wrote:
What is it with these TPMS things, don't people check tires regularly for damage and uneven ware when they check the pressure 👿

My understanding (and I'm happy to be corrected) is that the TPMS regs came about because:

1. Car manufacturers realised that, by fitting run-flat tyres, they could dispense with the cost (and weight) of a spare wheel & tyre. After all, they have been supplying skinny spare wheels (which can be used only at low speed and for a limited duration) for years
2. There is a danger that a driver in a car fitted with run-flats will be unaware they have a puncture and will continue to drive at 'normal' speeds until such time as the tyre actually fails. Extremely dangerous!
3. EU regs were introduced (quite sensibly, IMV) to ensure all new cars are fitted with TPMS so that the driver is alerted to any reduction in pressure and can act accordingly.

Obviously, the regs need to apply to ALL cars, regardless of whether they are actually fitted with run-flats.

The 'active' TPMS valves are battery-powered (bluetooth?) devices designed to last for 5 or 6 years. There will doubtless be occasions when a car with 4 good tyres has to go into the tyre centre just to have the batteries or valves replaced, meaning the tyres have to be removed & refitted.

Buy shares in Kwik-Fit!!

munter wrote:
Quick question:

I have a Skoda Octavia Estate. Should I change the current low profile tyres out for either:

1/ Same profile 225/45/17 on existing alloys.
2/ Get 205/55/16 with cheap new 16" alloys.

I had heard that low profile tyres and larger wheels dont perform as well as small wheels and more rubber, therefore is option 2 the best route?

It has the advantage of not having to pay a garage to refit the summer tyres after the winter too!

cheers

I'm not sure about the 'small wheels & more rubber' bit - your options are larger wheels with more rubber or smaller wheels with less rubber.

I would go for the 205/55 R16's on new rims - the tyres will be cheaper and, as you say, you can easily swap the wheels over yourself, saving trips to the dealer / tyre centre twice a year
snow report
Tyreman - or anyone else.

Currently have Continental Wintercontact 850 [225/50/R17 98V XL] on a Ford Galaxy - but probably need to change.

I have been trying to find reviews on the (newish) Nokian WR D4. Can`t seem to find anything substantive. Can anyone provide any insight into these (personal or by pointing me to a review or two) ?

The WR D3 got great reviews and the perf of the WRD4 in the wet makes it even more attractive.

Many thanks.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Tue 20-10-15 12:58; edited 2 times in total
snow report
@Red Leon, Why is it necessary to have these devices on the valves to monitor the tyre presure. For years BMW have had a system that monitors the rotation speed of each wheel and detects a loss of tyre pressure that way.
latest report
@foxtrotzulu: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tire-pressure_monitoring_system
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy