Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hello! we know about winter tyres...

Poster: A snowHead
ansta1 wrote:
tyremen wrote:
@ansta1, The 17" are Continental and the 18" Vredestein

Chris

What is the profile of the 18's?

We recommend using 245/45r18 front and rear.

Chris
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Freshtrax wrote:
Hi Chris, thanks for your reply. Coopers on Outback are indeed 215 compared to 235 Vredestein's on Discovery. I use smaller wheels/tyres in the winter than summer on both vehicles for the reasons you quoted. Given that I will be replacing the winter tyres on the Discovery and could choose any manufacturer, which tyre would you recommend?
Dan. Puzzled

The favorite for driving abroad is the Nokian WR SUV 3 £116.76 each.

Chris
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Freshtrax wrote:
Hi Chris, thanks for your reply. Coopers on Outback are indeed 215 compared to 235 Vredestein's on Discovery. I use smaller wheels/tyres in the winter than summer on both vehicles for the reasons you quoted. Given that I will be replacing the winter tyres on the Discovery and could choose any manufacturer, which tyre would you recommend?
Dan. Puzzled

The favorite for driving abroad is the Nokian WR SUV 3 £116.76 each.

Chris
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
tyremen wrote:
ansta1 wrote:
tyremen wrote:

Chris

Chris

Thanks, assumed it would be something a little, shall we say, less wide. Though most things are less wide than the current 275 rears to be fair. Would the 245/45 fit on the current rear AMG 18X9.5 rims?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Kingofthec, Hello thanks for you message,

The 1 Series is pretty standard when it comes to winter wheels and tyres, 16" wheel will fit the 120D M-Sport as long as the car is not fitted with big brakes (easy spot it will have blue calipers)
Take a look at this page https://www.tyremen.co.uk/wheels?vehicle_type=2410&primary_category=2178&secondary_category=2236&wheel_type=2415 on here you will see the 16" and 17" options.

Chris
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.

The 1 Series is pretty standard when it comes to winter wheels and tyres, 16" wheel will fit the 120D M-Sport as long as the car is not fitted with big brakes (easy spot it will have blue calipers)
Take a look at this page https://www.tyremen.co.uk/wheels?vehicle_type=2410&primary_category=2178&secondary_category=2236&wheel_type=2415 on here you will see the 16" and 17" options.

Chris
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ansta1 wrote:
tyremen wrote:
ansta1 wrote:
tyremen wrote:

Chris

Chris

Thanks, assumed it would be something a little, shall we say, less wide. Though most things are less wide than the current 275 rears to be fair. Would the 245/45 fit on the current rear AMG 18X9.5 rims?

No your existing rear wheels will be far to wide.

Chris
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
emwmarine wrote:
With my Discovery I found the Grabber AT to be better than the Michelin M&S in snow and pretty good going up and down the mountain. I don't think a lot touches it for all round performance.
[/quote]

I had these on my D3. They were very good off-road. A bit noisy on road. And as crap as any non-winter tyre in snow. For pure traction i.e. getting moving, they were fine but I was once merely a passenger sitting in the drivers seat as weent down a snowy/icy street near where I used to live. It was a steepish road and a neighbour had got herself stuck. I was able to pull her out and get her car to safety but when I went to go home down the hill I suddenly found myself not-in-charge of a 2.7 tonne sledge. By some miracle I avoided hitting anything and regained a little bit of control by hitting a patch of soft snow.

It made me realise that a big 4x4 is good for some things but going downhill in ice and snow isn't one of them. Embarassed Embarassed
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Gaza wrote:
It made me realise that a big 4x4 is good for some things but going downhill in ice and snow isn't one of them. Embarassed Embarassed

To right I've had the same experience not good.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
what size would you recommend for a q7? 18's or 19"s?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@ajc2260626, all the recomended sizes are on your door/door sill sticker also in your User Manual. The sizes indicated there work both for summer and winter tyres. If there is a 18' indicated, just choose tyres with indicated parameters and you will be OK (sticking not only to physical measurements but also to speed and load indexes).
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
tyremen wrote:

Chris

Thanks Chris.

Do people tend to get both wheels and tyres or just change the tyres over? Do I take it that getting the wheels as well makes the changing-over process a bit easier?

Cheers
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@tyremen, thoughts for Nissan Murano 235/65 R18?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@foxtrotzulu, For my RRS HSE Black on 20" rims I have Nokian WR3 winters size 275/45/R20 which I put on at the beginning of last winter and still have on. I decided to keep them on last spring as the car is 3yo next Feb and I didn't fancy shelling out for new summers which would have to have been bought by now and end up giving a stealer nearly new summer and winter tyres. The winter tyres have been on snow, mud, sand and road all year round with no noticeable difference and remarkably little wear. Great tyres.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@tyremen,

Hi,
Have a 2015 skoda Octavia scout - in two minds about
a) winter tyres on existing rims
b) winter tyres on new wheels - likely narrower / higher profile
what would you propose
Thanks
J
snow report
When I bought LynnX's Octavia, I negotiated a spare set of steel rims with winters, they are exactly that, narrower, higher profile and 1" smaller diameter...
snow report
Also got winters ready to put on the Jeep which I'll leave on all year, don't do many miles...
We'll swap the tyres on the Octavia

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 1-10-15 19:13; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Last few years I haven't bothered changing back to summers. I haven't noticed much difference in wear and you couldn't tell the difference in grip in the dry unless on the track.
snow report
My wife has just bought a new Nissan Qashqai with the 1.5 diesel engine and 18" alloys. I want to get winter tyres for it, more for Scottish icy morning driving, some slush and the odd foray into the Glenshee/Aviemore ski centre car parks. What tyres would you recommend? I'm thinking that I'll buy a set of cheap 16" or 17" alloys and keep the winter tyres on them. Any real difference in performance between tyres on 16 or 17" rims? They'll be the same width of tyre.
ski holidays
@Valkyrie, width is not the only thing you have to take care off - follow what is writen in the user manual for the Qashqai - there will be specific details for tyes in 16", 17" and 18".

For the tyres - Nokian WR D4 is superb and Scottish conditions should be similar to Finnish conditions Smile So a perfect match!
snow conditions
robboj wrote:
@foxtrotzulu, For my RRS HSE Black on 20" rims I have Nokian WR3 winters size 275/45/R20 which I put on at the beginning of last winter and still have on. I decided to keep them on last spring as the car is 3yo next Feb and I didn't fancy shelling out for new summers which would have to have been bought by now and end up giving a stealer nearly new summer and winter tyres. The winter tyres have been on snow, mud, sand and road all year round with no noticeable difference and remarkably little wear. Great tyres.

Thanks - I'll take a look at these although I'm struggling to believe they will cut the mustard in deep mud off-road. They just don't look as though they are chunky enough.
snow report
kingofhthec I bought wheels and tyres last winter (from Tyremen as it happens). It seems to me that the decision to buy wheels needs to be based on your projected life expectancy for the car. I think our local garage was charging something like £15 per corner to change a tyre (+/- a few quid) so it would be ~ £60 twice a year (on in autumn, off in spring).

If you only expect to keep the car a couple of years, and have no way of knowing if the wheels will fit anything else, then it probably doesn't make sense. OTOH, if its new and you might keep it a while, you'll probably end up quids in.

Its an easy enough job to do, but first time I had 2 problems:

1. I couldn't get one of the wheels off. (Had to hit it with a bit of wood).

2. I put them all on and forgot the splurge-valve or something. A little shim of plastic that fits inside the wheel (actually called spigot-rings) so had to do them all again (much quicker 2nd time round wink

LR
latest report
Hello @jedster, @Kingofthec,

@LittleRob, Has hit the nail on the head, you really need to think about the costs, I can supply wheels and tyres the wheel been 16" OE octavia wheels
Fitted with Nokian WR D4 winter tyres £670.00 delivered, depending on you existing tyre size 17" or 18", for example we will go with the popular 225/40r18.
A good winter tyre example used Nokian again a set will cost £460.00 delivered (yes £210 cheaper) but you have to think about the fitting, we now have a large fitting network and the average price for fitting is £17.50 per tyre we have had garages wanting to charge us up £25.00 (these are no longer part of the network) the fitting is going to cost you £140.00 per year, and the risks are having your tyres damaged when they are removed or fitted again and again.

https://www.tyremen.co.uk/wheels/16-skoda-wheels
https://www.tyremen.co.uk/tyres/22540r18-92v-nokian-wr-d4-xl
latest report
Steelies for winter, alloy for summer, the two lads down the garage happily changed them all over for a tenner last time, easy cash for them whilst the boss was at lunch.
latest report
matteevan90 wrote:
Steelies for winter, alloy for summer

Definitely the way to go if you can afford it and have somewhere to store the spare wheels. Most people can swap the wheels over themselves... If you haven't done it before its a good thing to learn in case of a future puncture.

The other BIG advantage is that this keeps your expensive, shiny alloys away from all that very nasty, corrosive salt on winter roads so can save you on a refurb in the future.
latest report
@tyremen, @Paul_Shanks,
good advice thanks
latest report
@tyremen,

Your help would be appreciated

I plan to kit out my 2014 Mini Cooper convertible with a separate set of wheels & winter tyres.
The original tyres are 205/45 R17's but I think 195/55 R16's would be the right size for winters. The wheels are a 4-stud fitment.
The only 4-stud Mini wheels I can find on your website are 15" - are there more options available that I can't see?

If there are suitable wheels available, can you quote for 4 wheels plus Goodyear UltraGrip 9's (or 8's - same price!). I presume you fit the tyres to the wheels prior to shipping...?

Edit: I forgot - I need TPMS valves as well. Is that a major issue?

Cheers
RL
latest report
@Red Leon,

Hello thanks for your question, and that we were missing a 16" option, this has now been rectified https://www.tyremen.co.uk/wheels/16-poison-5.

TPMS is not a real problem we can supply pre-programmed valves, I'm quite surprised the Mini R56 2014 comes with TPMS valves as the majority R56 models
are based on the ABS system.

Wheels and tyres Goodyear Ultra grip 9 £686.00 delivered, Valves are additional £220.00.

Full package bought together tyres, wheel and valves £855.00. The tyres will be fitted to the wheels valved and balanced.

As you can see I have done you a bit of a deal so you would need to call to order if needed. 08456 807 808
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hello just has an option,

We have now started offering Finance on purchases above £275.00, this option can be used on, wheel, tyres or wheels and tyres.

If this is of interest to anybody please give me an email chis@tyremen.co.uk and I can send you the information needed.

Cheers
snow conditions
@tyremen,

Thanks for the quick reply, Chris - and the deal ;o)
The link you gave was for a long list of wheels but I now realise the full-stop on the end was messing up the link!
I guess you mean this one https://www.tyremen.co.uk/wheels/16-poison-5 - does it matter that the description says "PCD 4x100" but the picture is clearly a 5-stud?
Is a 195 tyre OK on a 6J rim?

The car is an R57 (R56 minus the roof!) and was first registered in Sept 2014. I am told by the dealers that it has TPMS but I have no proof of that. Given that you are doubtful, how can I find out for sure?
snow conditions
Hello @Red Leon,

Could you email me with the registration number, I'm a little confused with which model you have chris@tyremen.co.uk.

Yes the link https://www.tyremen.co.uk/wheels/16-poison-5 with out the full stop sorry.

TPMS can easily detected by going to the car, if you have standared rubber valve in there then this is more likely ABS bases system, solid metal valve TPMS.

Chris
snow conditions
@tyremen,

PM sent. I hope it helps
snow report
Hello @Red Leon,

Yes all the above regarding the wheels is correct, 4x100 6x16 fitted with 195/55r16 perfect.

Although there is a 15" option fitted to the model by the looks of it. Steel wheel fitted with 175/65r15 Goodyear ultra grip 9 and sensors if needed £676.00 delivered.

Cheers Chris
snow conditions
Hello @tyremen,

Looking for a bit of advise please, I have a Hyundai ix55 with winter tyres but not the TPMS sensors, am I obliged to?

Then n my wife's Hyundai i40 which needs winter tyres, the Cert of Conformity says 215/50/r17/95/v/7.5j/x17/et46, however the dealers want to sell me et47, will this fit, and would I need to get the cert of conformity changed, I see above that it is common to fit smaller winter wheels, but havn't seen any reference to geting the cert changed?

Thanks,
David
latest report
@tyremen, Hi Sent you a pm which you opened Monday morning, have I missed your reply?
ski holidays
Hi Tyremen. we have an audi a6 Allroad (2013) with Goodyear EfficientGrip 225/55/18 98V SUV 4x4 M+S. would you view these as "winter tyres" ? We are driving to the alps in january and was hoping that with the Quattro and these tyres we would be OK until it gets really bad and then put chains on.
Also - what is your take on chains on a Quattro. bit of a debate as to whether to put them on the front or the rear ?
winter tyres are expensive so would rather not get any if I dont have to as we dont get much snow here in Lincoln. (i work in Hull so if i do end up needing winter tyres you are going to get my business !). thanks
snow report
@tyremen, I'll be getting a Hyundai Tucson (Premium, the new model) next month and will put winter tyres on it straightaway. It comes with 245/45 R19 tyres fitted - what options do I have for winter tyres?
latest report
@backhojo, efficient grip is a sumer tyre! Not only on snow, but also at temperatures bellow 7 celsius they would perform much worse than winter tyres. On snow completely useless, 4x4 would make no difference, especialy when braking.

Re chains - check what your manual says.
ski holidays
@foxtrotzulu, Probably not for actual off-roading of the pastime variety in really deep mud tbh but they were fine for me on the farm this summer going through very muddy and churned up gates etc. To put that in context it was the wettest for 30 years or more with water and mud seen in places that would be classed as rare even in January.
latest report
Hi Tyremen,

I thought finding some 17" steel wheels for my MK 3 (2006) Mitsubishi Shogun was going to be easy but it's not been easy at all ... would like to mount up some reasonably priced winter tyres because the Bridgestone Duellers (265x65x17) I've got mounted are apparently sub-par for my alpine adventures.

Any suggestions? I'd happily go for a different sized rim if necessary ..
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy