Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hello! we know about winter tyres...

Poster: A snowHead
@chocksaway, @DB, cheers both. I've not found anything in the manual yet but I'll keep searching. Might ask on briskoda.net too.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@tyremen, So a question then for you. If a Snowtyre has a small nick in the sidewall, not down to the wires just a flap of rubber hanging off, which passes the MOT is it safe to drive on. It does seem a shame to swap as it is nearly new but I don't want it going bang.

Thanks
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Jake43, see the bottom of page 8 of this thread. As for the nick - 'it all depends'. You say it is small and 'just flap of rubber' - difficult to advice without seeing it. If structural integrity is not damaged, then it should not be a problem. You can easily ask for a second opinion by stopping at several garages or tyres shops. Post a picture of the 'nick', however, any advice is just an oppinion - you have to assess the risk yourself, bearing in mind that damage to the sidewall is more serrios than to the rolling surface.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Jake43, when I took a divot from a sidewall brushing a high kerb, the local tyre mechanic said legally he was obliged to tell me as a client to change it but he would happily leave it on his own car. As everyone is scared of being sued now I doubt anyone will officially tell you a damaged tyre is 'OK'.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@mooney058, @albinomountainbadger, Thanks. Well it past an MOT so I guess it should be ok. Car did 296 Miles last year !
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Jake43, car that just 'sits' is not necessary better than the one that does 10.000 miles on roads outside cities. Without having seen the damage it s difficult to advice. Is there a chance MOT did not spot it? Thus a second opinion (or several second opinions) would be advisable.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@mooney058, I will try and get round to posting a picture, but it is tiny and MOT spotted it as an advisory.

It could have happened at the same time she wiped out the front snow tyre in a Edinburgh Pothole. I did not see that tyre but it had to be replaced. Its not the sitting around I was trying to get across it was the fact it seems a lot of money for little miles when driven so little and generally slowly in towns. Though it is off down the motorway next week. Hence the interest.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Just had two new Goodyear vectors fitted to the S-max, we have used these all year round for the past three years, it works out well as they last just about our annual mileage of 20k on the front so a new pair for each winter.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Boris wrote:
mooney058, as I said, I'm a convert, have them on both cars, but I can understand why people don't. Not worth it for one trip a year in many peoples view

It's worth it whenever it's cold. We have plenty of ice in the UK. As someone else said, they're worth if for the half second you might have skidded.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
KenX wrote:
I've got M & S tyres on my L200, last time it snowed, I got past several stranded vehicles on a hill, however, on the way down it was another story, pretty much as slippery as summer tyres, leading me to believe it was only the 4WD that helped uphill, and that M & S tyres aren't really a whole lot better than summer tyres in snowy conditions!

You need proper winter tyres - with a mountain symbol, not just M&S ones which are just aggressive tread.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
(posted this in the for sale ads but thought I'd stick it here as well for good measure)

Just sold my old car and I've got 4 winter tyres left over from it.

They're...
Evergreen EW62 Winters (mountain, snowflake and M+S marked)
195/55/16 87H
2x with 7mm tread and 2x 7.5mm

Done 1.5 UK winters. Evergreen, despite not being big-brand tyres, are decent quality and these have been superb when it has snowed.

£40 each or £150 for all 4.

I've 4x 16" Mazda6 alloys in less than perfect condition as well.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I am changing cars... Old tyres are 195/55R/16, new ones are 205/55R/17.

What happens if I mount my old car's snows (they are on their own wheels)? Presumably a speedo misread, but any safety or other issues?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
wittenham wrote:
I am changing cars... Old tyres are 195/55R/16, new ones are 205/55R/17.

What happens if I mount my old car's snows (they are on their own wheels)? Presumably a speedo misread, but any safety or other issues?

Unless you're very lucky, the old wheels won't be suitable for the new car.
There's a 6% difference in the circumferences of the two sets of tyres and that's well above the recommended 2.5%
The old tyres might not be the right load capacity as required on the new car

See here http://www.tyresave.co.uk/tyresize.html
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
thanks RL... apparently the standard size for the car [a Mini Countryman] is 205/60/16, but that still shows at c5% on the link you gave me.

Oh well, an unexpected expense of changing a car... anyone for a set of Prius snows on steel rims...
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Bought some winter tyres, ready for two drives down to the Alps. We're not off until February and then again in April, but I need new fronts anyway so it made sense to put the winters on and defer buying normal tyres until after we get back from the second trip. Went for Vredestein Wintracs, and so far I've been very impressed - quiet and hold the road well.

On to my question. The car is a Mercedes E350, and has different sized wheels on front and back -- the fronts are 235/40/18 and the rears 265/35/18. On our old car (Mercedes E320, older shape with same size wheels front and rear) we used to put a winter tyre on the spare, as it was a full size spare. This came in useful one year when we were in the Polish countryside and got a flat -- I think it we'd have been quite stuck without it, as the conditions were really terrible (deep snow over frozen roads). So I got to thinking I should look at the spare on the new car, and it has a space-saver wheel. I suppose that this is so that it can substitute for either the front or the rear as needed, but it does mean that if we do have a flat tyre we're kind of stuck.

Would it be worth swapping the space saver over for a winter tyre? (Can you even get Winter tyres for space savers?). Am I worrying needlessly?

Thanks,

-simon
ski holidays
Hello guy my name is Chris, a year or so ago we were quite active on here answering all you winter driving needs.

Just to let you know were here if you need anything, as always were here to help and there is some discount to be had.

Cheers Chris
latest report
Hi Chris

Looking for some steel wheels and winter tyres for a Hyundai I10 running on 165/60/14 75H summers can you drop me a PM with a quote please as there is nothing on your website for a complete set of wheels
Cheers
latest report
Hello @RDSpearing, Message and quote sent.

Thanks Chris
snow conditions
tyremen wrote:
Hello guy my name is Chris, a year or so ago we were quite active on here answering all you winter driving needs.

Just to let you know were here if you need anything, as always were here to help and there is some discount to be had.

Cheers Chris

Hi Chris

I've asked everyone the same question and come to the conclusion that what I want doesn't really exist, but before giving up I thought I'd try only last time and ask you.

Range Rover Sport, running 19 or 20 inch rims. What I want is a tyre that has the off-road performance of something like the Grabber AT, BUT to be a proper winter tyre too.ot seems I can either have a winter tyre which won't cut it in the mud, or an off road tyre which lacks the soft compound for cold weather.

Thoughts?
latest report
You write "proper winter tyre" that would not be the same as an off-road tyre. The design of both tyres are different, not only the compound, but also rhe thread pattern, speed index, etc
snow report
@tyremen, well as You've asked.

Currently running 245/45/18 front and 275/40/18 rears on a Mercedes S-Class, do you have any wheel/winter tyre combos that are suitable?

Thanks
latest report
@foxtrotzulu, You are correct, I have just done a search and turned up one or the other not a all in one, this will be down to a couple of things.

1, The sizes you need (I have only search for standard sizes please let me know if you have changed.
2, What your looking for is a tyre that will monster most terrains and all weathers, but these tyres are not put together because there worlds apart.

The tyre I have come across that may be able to cater your needs would be the crosscontact AT M+S by continental but is only avalible in limited sizes at the moment
but in the future this could be an option. example shown here https://www.tyremen.co.uk/tyres/20570r15-continental-conticrosscontact-96t-sl

Chris
ski holidays
mooney058 wrote:
You write "proper winter tyre" that would not be the same as an off-road tyre. The design of both tyres are different, not only the compound, but also rhe thread pattern, speed index, etc

I appreciate there is a compromise, but take the Grabber AT for example. That has a reasonable number of sipes, the tread pattern is OK in snow, but it's really the compound that bothers me. Less fussed about the speed index as that doesn't affect how well it performs either in mud or in the snow. Obviously, it has to be sufficient for the vehicle.

I don't feel as though I'm asking for a water ski that also works well on a hard piste but it does feel a bit like that at times. Perhaps I'm asking the wrong question. Maybe it should be .... 'Which on/off-road tyre has the softest compound in cold weather. i.e. I'm not expecting a snowflake symbol but I want something better than your bog standard summer tyres.
latest report
@ansta1, Please can you tell me your vehicle year.
latest report
I keep hearing an advert on the radio for a new kind of winter/summer combo tyre? Whats the initial thoughts on it?
ski holidays
With my Discovery I found the Grabber AT to be better than the Michelin M&S in snow and pretty good going up and down the mountain. I don't think a lot touches it for all round performance. Although I had the earlier version of it which I think had a more aggressive pattern. Lasted around 70k miles.

However the goodyear winter tyres on my megane scenic fwd mean that is better than the discovery going up and down snowy/icy mountain. So I guess the AT2 is the best compromise but if you want to use the car in the alps a lot and get waved through without having to put chains on then there's nothing for it but to get a snowflake tyre.

foxtrotzulu wrote:
mooney058 wrote:

I appreciate there is a compromise, but take the Grabber AT for example. That has a reasonable number of sipes, the tread pattern is OK in snow, but it's really the compound that bothers me. Less fussed about the speed index as that doesn't affect how well it performs either in mud or in the snow. Obviously, it has to be sufficient for the vehicle.

I don't feel as though I'm asking for a water ski that also works well on a hard piste but it does feel a bit like that at times. Perhaps I'm asking the wrong question. Maybe it should be .... 'Which on/off-road tyre has the softest compound in cold weather. i.e. I'm not expecting a snowflake symbol but I want something better than your bog standard summer tyres.
snow report
tyremen wrote:
@ansta1, Please can you tell me your vehicle year.
MY2002
snow report
Hello Tyremen - perhaps you could give me some advice on the best tyres for my Discovery 2 TD5 (2003)? We own and run a catered chalet in the Swiss Alps so need to have really good tyres. So far I have been using Vredstein Wintrac Extreme tyres (235/70/16) which have worked well but are now worn down to between 4-6mm of tread depth so I was going to replace them for this coming winter. Although the tyres have been good I still have to use snow chains from time to time. I have Cooper Discoverer MS2's on my Subaru Outback and I have never had to use chains. Is this simply because the Discovery is a much heavier car or are the tyres better? What would you recommend?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@ansta1, There is 2 options I can offer you 17" depends on your engine size? 17" wheels and tyres £1042 -10% £937.00 delivered, 18" Wheels and tyres £1107.52 -10% £996.76 delivered.

Chris
ski holidays
@tyremen, 5litre petrol engine!
snow report
@ansta1, 18" it is then 17" will not fit.

Chris
snow conditions
tyremen wrote:
@ansta1, 18" it is then 17" will not fit.

Chris

Thought so, what's the make and model of rubber on those prices?
snow conditions
@ansta1, The 17" are Continental and the 18" Vredestein

Chris
ski holidays
foxtrotzulu wrote:
mooney058 wrote:

Grabber AT is a mud tyres that can be used on road. it is not a winter tyre though! The same manufacturer has 'Snow Grabber' model - compare the pics and you will see why one is considered summer and the other as winter tyre - these have many more micro sipes (what is where snow gets trapped and snow to snow friction is what gets your traction).
latest report
Freshtrax wrote:
Hello Tyremen - perhaps you could give me some advice on the best tyres for my Discovery 2 TD5 (2003)? We own and run a catered chalet in the Swiss Alps so need to have really good tyres. So far I have been using Vredstein Wintrac Extreme tyres (235/70/16) which have worked well but are now worn down to between 4-6mm of tread depth so I was going to replace them for this coming winter. Although the tyres have been good I still have to use snow chains from time to time. I have Cooper Discoverer MS2's on my Subaru Outback and I have never had to use chains. Is this simply because the Discovery is a much heavier car or are the tyres better? What would you recommend?

Hello, My answer would be neither.

100% Cooper winter is not better than Vredestein winter and if anything I would say an heaver car/SUV would offer more traction due to the snow been compacted down more and quicker then a lighter car/SUV.

This could be down to a few factors, simply deeper snow/worse conditions also it's a known fact narrower winter tyres perform lots better then the wider tyres.
On the outback they can use depending on year and model 215/60r16 - 225/60r16 this can make a world of difference using 215 on the out back then using 235 on the Discovery.

Thanks Chris
ski holidays
tyremen wrote:
@ansta1, The 17" are Continental and the 18" Vredestein

Chris

What is the profile of the 18's?
ski holidays
Hi Chris, thanks for your reply. Coopers on Outback are indeed 215 compared to 235 Vredestein's on Discovery. I use smaller wheels/tyres in the winter than summer on both vehicles for the reasons you quoted. Given that I will be replacing the winter tyres on the Discovery and could choose any manufacturer, which tyre would you recommend?
Dan. Puzzled
latest report
@mooney058,
Quote:

Grabber AT is a mud tyres that can be used on road. it is not a winter tyre though! The same manufacturer has 'Snow Grabber' model - compare the pics and you will see why one is considered summer and the other as winter tyre - these have many more micro sipes (what is where snow gets trapped and snow to snow friction is what gets your traction).
I appreciate it's not a winter tyre and therein lies the problem. The Snow Grabber has the sipes but to my eyes it isn't likely to be much use in mud. The sipes are actually of less interst to me. This isnt a vehicle for use in the Alps, but in the fields of Berkshire/Wiltshire when the temperatures are <7 degrees.
snow conditions
foxtrotzulu wrote:
@mooney058,
Quote:

I appreciate it's not a winter tyre and therein lies the problem. The Snow Grabber has the sipes but to my eyes it isn't likely to be much use in mud. The sipes are actually of less interst to me. This isnt a vehicle for use in the Alps, but in the fields of Berkshire/Wiltshire when the temperatures are <7 degrees.

It is your call. If I were you, I would take a full set of Grabber AT and a full set of Snow Grabber.
ski holidays
Hi Chris, bit of an uninformed viewpoint here so was wondering if you might be able to help me.

I'm getting a new car delivered through work in a couple of weeks, and am wanting to sort out winter tyres / wheels for it, but don't know anything about the wheel size at the moment (as it's all being handled by work).

What I do know is that it's a BMW 120D M-Sport, and it will be a 65 reg. Conscious that this is a really low level of info but wanting to get prepared for once the car does come.

Do you know what kind of tyres / wheels / prices I would be looking at for this?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy