Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hello! we know about winter tyres...

Poster: A snowHead
emwmarine, +10
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
That's really sad news about Phill - he gave me great advice/service/prices & to my customers too. RIP
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Bummer - was only checking out their website today.

Latest Auto Bild top 15 up on tyrereviews fwiw.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just in the process of ordering a Merc C class 4Matic to become the ski wagon for the next few years (based in Switzerland). Been given the option of specifying M&S tyres with the car instead of summer tyres. Should I spec these or take the summer standard tyres and then buy a separate set of winters?

Wheel size is 225 45 R18 (front) and 245 40 R18 (rear). Car will mainly be used for driving to ski resorts (up to 2,300m in the case of Val Thorens) and not used at all in the week if that helps.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
raino, i have no real idea, but our Murano 4x4 has Summer tyres for summer and Winter tyres for winter... No M&S anywhere, based in CH as well.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
raino, My Duster came with M&S tyres which are apparently legal year round here (Austria), but the dealer recommended getting proper winter tyres too.

As I understand it, M&S have an ok tread for snow, but are made of the same rubber compound as summer tyres so stiffen up when it's cold and subsequently don't grip as well.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
clarky999, sounds like it should have come with Summer tyres then unless you regularly go through muddy fields?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
under a new name, haha not all that regularly, but they'll probably come in useful getting to the start of some of the more out of the way kayaking rivers.

I didn't have a choice though, that's just what the 4x4 version came with as standard.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I have M&S rated all season tyres on my van they last really well, are quiet and offer a little more grip in muddy conditions, as well as a little better grip in the rain than the last set of summer tyres that were on her. I don't see any downsides, for me, as outright performance in the dry isn't high on my list of criteria for the van and the type of driving I do.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
clarky999 wrote:
raino, My Duster came with M&S tyres which are apparently legal year round here (Austria), but the dealer recommended getting proper winter tyres too.

As I understand it, M&S have an ok tread for snow, but are made of the same rubber compound as summer tyres so stiffen up when it's cold and subsequently don't grip as well.

My understanding of the Austrian legal Situation on winter tyres is - tourists get away with using M&S tyres (without the snowflake symbol) but locals should have proper winter tyres (an M&S tyre with a snowflake symbol qualifies as a winter tyre). There may be Special rules for 4 wheel vechicles with out of the norm tyre sizes, what does it say on the car's zulassungsschein for winter?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
raino wrote:
Just in the process of ordering a Merc C class 4Matic to become the ski wagon for the next few years (based in Switzerland). Been given the option of specifying M&S tyres with the car instead of summer tyres. Should I spec these or take the summer standard tyres and then buy a separate set of winters?

Wheel size is 225 45 R18 (front) and 245 40 R18 (rear). Car will mainly be used for driving to ski resorts (up to 2,300m in the case of Val Thorens) and not used at all in the week if that helps.

See if you can get 4 season tyres (M&S tyres with the snowflake symbol) otherwise winter tyres. It's not the traction on the way up that would be a problem but the traction, braking and cornering on the way down when it's very cold and icy. Feels like having plastic wheels on ice as the rubber becomes very hard on normal tyres.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
An SUV almost managed to mess up the races today - rolled down the embankment just above the first (hairpin) curve on the glacier route up to Sölden glacier. Blocked the access for quite a long time, but the Sölden Emergency Services pulled out all the stops to get the road cleared. The tail back went back to Langenfeld I was told. This is the typical situation that DB is describing as the vehicle could not have been motoring fast (due to the volume of traffic as well as the very acute curve). The driver and passengers were airlifted to hospital with serious injuries but they announced later in the day that all the injured would eventually recover. The road was dry but very cold, from the marks on the embankment it was a loss of traction, then slid a few feet down before rolling right down and across the lower stretch.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

a loss of traction, then slid a few feet down before rolling right down and across the lower stretch.

Shocked must have been horrifying. An inherently unstable vehicle? or a dodgy camber on the road? Both? Good that they'll recover. Is it too early for compulsory winter tyre rules to be in force?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
No the general rule is O bis O (Oktober bis Ostern = October to Easter) BUT weather conditions prevail so if you are going into areas where it could be below 7°C plus frost/snow/ etc, you have to have your vehicle correctly suited and booted for the conditions. I have no idea of the nationality of the vehicle or the passengers, but as we were stuck by the vehicle for a while (including one completely separated and very new looking wheel), there was a lot of speculation as to the nature of the tyres.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
What do people think, if you have car with something like 245/40/18 wheels/tyres are you better going for a separate set of (smaller, unflashy) wheels for winter so that you run narrower/higher profile winter tyres? I imagine it wouldn't be that much more expensive given the premium for low profile tyres?
latest report
jedster wrote:
What do people think, if you have car with something like 245/40/18 wheels/tyres are you better going for a separate set of (smaller, unflashy) wheels for winter so that you run narrower/higher profile winter tyres? I imagine it wouldn't be that much more expensive given the premium for low profile tyres?

On wide tyre setups, after the initial outlay it is often cheaper in the long run and better performance wise to go for a spare set of winter tyres (providing you can get winter tyres for the vehicle). If you are very low mileage with most mileage in the winter then there's a case for just going with winter tyres all year round.

Based on 14 years here in Austria - most of the vehicles I've seen by the side of the road have been 4x4 with a high centre of gravity, many of which have been on their roofs. Have also seen the odd rear wheel drive car (e.g. BMW) although these have always come to rest the right way up. Very rarely does a front wheel drive car or 4WD car come off the road (unless they are without winter tyres).

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 27-10-14 15:20; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@jedster, I always went with a separate set for winter on all of my cars. Having a separate set is a plus as you can also change the wheels whenever you need/want. On the apporpriate size of wheels/tyres, check your user manual. I run 245/45/19 (front) 275/40/19 (rear) for summers and 245/50/18 allround for winters - thus winter set is smaller, but still fits within specs presrcibed by the manufacturer
snow report
I used to run summer/winter but have just gone for a pair of the Goodyear Vector 4Seasons as reviewed a page back for an all round tyre to save the hassle of swopping and storing a 2nd set of tyres..

If I lived in Europe and drove to the alps every weekend I'd probably go winters and summers but I don't so I didn't!
latest report
I've run Winter Tyres on Disco for last 2-years for similar reasons, they are due for replacement soon so an planning on a 4S tyre
snow report
@Boris, Some 4 season tyres are really full winter tyres that just happen to perform quite well in summer too. Mine have lasted well, probably done 15,000 miles and still have 5-6mm.
ski holidays
can recommend the place I used in Leeds, very good prices. 0113 2392244
latest report
That's what I was thinking mooney, thanks. My impression is that low profile winter tyres are both expensive and a bit silly (narrower tyres actually better in the snow)
ski holidays
Not all winter/universal tyres are the same, just like winters are different:

http://www.continental-tires.com/www/download/reifen_de_de/themen/news/download/dl_02_winter_tire_portfolio_en.pdf

More on markings:
http://www.continental-tires.com/www/tires_de_en/themes/car-tires/winter-tires/markings/europakarte_interaktiv_en.html
snow conditions
DB wrote:
clarky999 wrote:

My understanding of the Austrian legal Situation on winter tyres is - tourists get away with using M&S tyres (without the snowflake symbol) but locals should have proper winter tyres (an M&S tyre with a snowflake symbol qualifies as a winter tyre). There may be Special rules for 4 wheel vechicles with out of the norm tyre sizes, what does it say on the car's zulassungsschein for winter?

Dealer definitely said they were legal year round (I bought the car in German, but 99% sure I understood correctly!!). Unless I'm being an idiot the zulassung doesn't specify anything other than the tyre size: 215/65 R 16, unless the following makes any sense to you? 98 T, 6.5 J 16-50

I have proper winter tyres on it anyway though.
latest report
Hmm narrowing down options - torn between something like a Vredestein Quatrac Lite which is an all season with flake that actually seemed to outperform the benchmark winter tyre in the Auto Bild all season test or a full winter like the Goodyear Ultragrip 9/Michelin Alpin 4.
snow report
@Dave of the Marmottes, so was it an all season tyre or winter tyre test?
latest report
The all season test is this http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2014-All-Season-Tyre-Test.htm

Winter test http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2014-Auto-Bild-Winter-Tyre-Test.htm
ski holidays
clarky999 wrote:
Dealer definitely said they were legal year round (I bought the car in German, but 99% sure I understood correctly!!). Unless I'm being an idiot the zulassung doesn't specify anything other than the tyre size: 215/65 R 16, unless the following makes any sense to you? 98 T, 6.5 J 16-50

98 T is the speed rating, the other figures relate to the size of the wheels. Looks like you have the same tyre size for winter and summer. As you are not seen as a tourist (unless the car is registered somewhere else other than Austria) then as far as I am aware, M&S tyres are not enough (unless they have the mountain / snowflake symbol). ... but as you say you have proper winter tyres on it now.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
my Goodyear Vector 4Seasons (all season tyres) have mountain, snowflake, sun and M&S markings on them from memory!!
ski holidays
98 is load index, T is the speed index, j6.5 is rim's width in inces, other digits are offset values (these are specific to car manufacturesr)
As for goodyear specific models - go to goodyear website and read not only marketing bs, but small print as well. However, it all depends under which conditions tyres are used - as we are on skiing forum, I by default assume people are asking about tyres suitable for alpine conditions.
ski holidays
DB wrote:
clarky999 wrote:

98 T is the speed rating, the other figures relate to the size of the wheels. Looks like you have the same tyre size for winter and summer. As you are not seen as a tourist (unless the car is registered somewhere else other than Austria) then as far as I am aware, M&S tyres are not enough (unless they have the mountain / snowflake symbol). ... but as you say you have proper winter tyres on it now.

Yeah it's registered to my (ex's) Innsbruck address. Which thinking about it I need to change soon... I'm assuming that'll mean paying for new number plates?

The M+S tyres didn't have the mountain/snowflake symbol. It's possible I misunderstood the dealer, though I don't think I did... I'll take your word for it though as you obviously know a lot more about this stuff than me!
ski holidays
clarky999 wrote:
Yeah it's registered to my (ex's) Innsbruck address. Which thinking about it I need to change soon... I'm assuming that'll mean paying for new number plates?

Yes legally you should reregister it = New number plates & costs. (Looks to be approx €185).
https://www.help.gv.at/Portal.Node/hlpd/public/content/6/Seite.060118.html
latest report
@clarky999, you need to re-register it as your insurance is also running through the Innsbruck address. If you have changed provinces it may also affect your car tax if it is anything like the German set-up.
snow report
@DB, @Samerberg Sue, cheers. The IBK address is still my hauptplatz for now, but need to change it sooner rather than later.
latest report
We got some of these http://www.goodyear.eu/home_en/tires/passenger/ultragrip-9/ via BlackCircles with a voucher code for under £320 for 205/55R16H and a 94 load rating.

They seem to have good wet grip and fuel economy ratings with a low noise figure of 67dB.

Hopefully they'll work quite well on a Skoda Superb estate with 4x4...
ski holidays
@jd_evans, these will be very good also in alpine environment, and with 4x4 even better
snow conditions
There are some good steel wheel / tyre packages about adding about £34 to the cost of each winter tyre. Perhaps I will try going down that route rather than running them all year round which actually doesn't cost that much as I get 3 years out of a set, 4 possibly and they are V rated. They don;t half squeal going round bends when it's warm though Laughing
ski holidays
@mooney058, hope so! Cool

We' re now trying to work out if we need a 2nd set of snow chains as it's 4x4... My hunch is that as it's predominantly front wheel drive we'll just need a set on the front. I'm sure someone will be along soon to tell me what's right or wrong.
snow report
Shouldn't need 2 sets squire! Having done 2 seasons in my A3 Quattro they have only been out of the box in the UK. Unless you are at the top of a very steep .slope where you may have to stop you should be golden. Your car manual should tell you which wheels to put chains on
ski holidays
@jd_evans,

Pretty sure it's snowchains on the front but switch off the ESP. Ask at the Skoda Garage to be sure.
Unless you find yourselves in extreme conditions, it's unlikely you would ever need snowchains when you have 4x4 and winter tyres.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy