Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Are We Being Fleeced?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
By UK ski retailers?. I have just watched an Ebay aution from Ski-Bilek. A pair of Volkl 4* Supersport, new model, choose your length, just closed sold a few pence short of £200. There were no snipers. Compare that to the new UK dealers catalogues, for example S&R, same ski £399. Does it really cost twice as much to sell them over here? If it does, why Puzzled
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Are we fleeced? Yes, both due to the cost of importing and the high cost of goods in general in the UK. In addition, skiing is viewed as a sport for people with high disposable income, hence ramped up prices.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yes, I think we are. We're a small volume high profit market probably for reasons originally related to price fixing by manufacturers and retailing cartels. And we are for most things so we've gotten used to it and put up with it. rolling eyes That's why I'm all for getting rid of trade barriers.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I think the flaw may be in your comparison...
You're comparing an e-bay auction with an RRP.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
No. The retailers are not actually making that much. (Net Profit) The manufacturers clean up.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I found ebay to be OK if you do not go crazy on the bidding. Just yesterday I bought a pair of ski gloves ( new branded leather ) for $27 (£15.71) incl. shipping which accounted for nearaly half of the cost.

The other thing to bear in mind is that the $ is a lot weaker against sterling and if you are disciminating and prepared to wait ( use the " watch this item " facility and do not bid until the last minute ) you do at times pick up a bargain.

Certainly a lot better value than Snow + Rock - I would say in this instance about ? 2/3rd less!! at least.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Thu 6-10-05 22:52; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
snowbunny, presumably there was carriage on top but, nevertheless, a huge disparity. This is down to the retailer choosing to make almost no money (or are they factory seconds and bought in cheaply?) and not the price from the manufacturer. My understanding is that manufacturers have aimed for consistent pricing over all the EU. S'pose Ski-Bilek don't have same overheads to worry about as UK high street retailers and can survive happily on turning their money over many times... wonder what their attitude will be to a warranty claim though. No good going to the UK distributor as they'll tell you to p*ss off. S+R know their market. They won't be short of punters happy to pay up for an easy life.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Cariage was $13 included in the $27 figure.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Thu 6-10-05 22:55; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
And there was I hoping this was going to be a thread about the new snowHeads fleeces Sad
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
sorry DGOrf I always do this - go in a tangent Cool snowHead snowHead
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
the RX8s i got from germany were £170 over here they want £470 at EB....
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I was able to pick up my boots, new 04/05 Vans BFBs, for $160 CAD including tax and shipping (I admitedly got an awsome deal, these normally retail for around $330 CAD after taxes). This is around 75 pounds. I got my board, a new 04/05 Never Summer Premier, for $400 CAD including tax from a store (normally they come to $690 CAD after taxes), which is about 190 pounds. I'm guessing it's next to impossible to get deals like this in the UK (high end board + boots for 265 pounds total) - normally I see online prices of snowboard/ski goods costing virtually an identical amount of UK pounds as CAD dollars, which is ridiculous since it's 2.1 pounds to the CAD dollar.
However, I believe a direct comparison cannot really be made, as I'm guessing the same job would pay more in the UK than in Canada after currency conversion is taken into account? Whenever I go to the UK (about once/year), virtually everything is way more expensive than in Canada.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
snowbunny, try the smaller retaillers, who are more likely to offer discounts off the RRP.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
In short, YES, and it's criminal!!

Evil or Very Mad
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hornster, it's not criminal. Shop around if you don't want to pay UK retail prices. There are plenty of discounts out there, especially if you don't want the customer service that places like EB or S&R provide.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy