Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Gordy's Straightline Adventures

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I've just been relocated to the states and have been looking for equivalents of warren smith / snoworks type camps but seem less common (or at least not mentioned by the TGR crowd!). Will probably try and do a pre Xmas week In whistler doubling up with 3 days on a dave Murray clinic followed by 2 days with extremely Canadian*

One that gets rave reviews are Gordy Peifer's in Utah
www.straightlineadventures.com

Has anyone been on one of these? I did read a trip report by Arno from a few years ago which gave a good flavour of what goes on. My main concern is whether my skiing would be up to scratch.. I have only been skiing a few years now but lately have focused on getting good instruction. I guess the last time I was objectively assessed was when I did two days with piste to powder in st Anton and got bumped up to level 2
Www.pistetopowder.com/check-your-skiing-level.html
But apparently camps are aimed at advanced / expert abilities (and from the trip reports certainly get some ace skiers going).

Obviously should really be posting this on TGR but not sure I'd survive..

On another note was thinking of getting a fatter ski as planning on making the most of time out here to head west as much as possible. Currently have a Line Prophet 90 but was thinking something 100-110 underfoot that I could use as an everyday ski when skiing out west in north America as well as off piste in Europe. The Cham 107 seems to be getting good reviews but would it be too stiff at my ski level (and weight, 75kg)?

*if anyone fancies this and wants to share accom and/or just grabbing some beers pm me
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'd email him and ask. I suspect the standard on the camps is high, they describe customers as being advanced, expert and aggressive, which may well translate to really being advanced, expert and aggressive. I don't think they try to fluff their customers like ski guiding operations selling to the English tend to.

TGR will only eat you alive if you ask something they perceive to be a stupid question.

Armada JJ or Line Sir Francis Bacon seem good all rounders. Obviously demo if you can.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
pm horizon he's done Gordy camp as well. Certainly the TGR focused camps are about sacking up and doing ballsy stuff. The Whistler camps are highly rated programme. Most resort ski schools run steep & deep style programmes over long weekends, at least those in the West with a bit of a freeride reputation e.g. Expedition Kirkwood, bunch of speciality courses at Squaw, Steep & deep at Jackson.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Actually - in addition almost any decent level group lesson will get you skiing offpiste anywhere in the West - as discussed elsewhere there's just not the Euro hangup re offpiste being someting separate you need a special clinic to do.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
bowman, you'll find Warren Smith and Snoworks visit the USA now. Cool
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
bowman, get in touch with Gordy - he's an exceptionally nice guy. the standard is pretty competent I would say. there was one person who was quite off the pace, which wasn't ideal. the coaching is a bit less technical and more tactical - they kind of assume you can ski black diamonds/double blacks, but want to ski them faster and with more flow

as fatbob says, there are any number of places which will give you decent instruction off piste in the US/Canada
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've done the Gordy camp in Chamonix a few good years ago. At the time I think I was a low 3 on the Piste to Powder scale. I was towards the bottom of the Straightline group in terms of ability (though maybe not the worst - well certainly not the worst after bad roo busted his knee and could only ski the Vallee Blanche at 20 mph Toofy Grin ), but still able to keep up with most of them. Not with skier666, though.

Here's a tricky point from one of the Gordy days:

...and a more relaxed one (my hair, it looks perfect, no?)

How comfortable were you on your day(s) with P2P at level 2? Last season I did a day with P2P together with my son, at level 2 and I thought only one of the others there (except for another guy who was taking things easy for the day to be with his wife) would have found the Gordy camp comfortable.

I think the US camps have, at least every now and then, a higher average standard of skier. It's indeed best to ask Gordy if you have a particular date in mind.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
horizon, hayduke looks drunk already Laughing
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
For North America you could also try http://www.skinastc.com/ - I've skied with some of their staff (one of them is my boss), although I haven't done any of their courses, and the ones I've skied with have been excellent.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I know a bunch of the NASTC guys from Chile, skinanny, who's your boss!?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks for the info and advice- much appreciated. Will email Gordy though the impression I'm getting is similar to what thought- not quite ready yet sadly...

Re the P2P level 2 group- I was surviving rather pushing on for the next level of group. Didn't have a problem with the fitness or mentally, but was certainly pushing my boundaries in terms of skill.

And thanks for tips re other options, will look into
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
jimmer, El Furtney is my boss. You've probably skied with some of my friends down in Chile if you've been skiing with NASTC people.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy