Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski touring/ski mountaineering

Poster: A snowHead
I'm new to Snowheads and looking forward to PSB. Are there many fellow ski tourers / ski mountaineers out there in snowhead land?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yes, there are some tourers here - although I, for one, have never done anything gnarly enough to call it ski mountaineering.

What do you want to know?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
altis, Cool - good if there's an opportunity to meet up with folk on a bash or elsewhere including short notice tips to Scotland when the conditions are in Toofy Grin . I'm based in Leigh; not a million miles from you
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yep, not so far. We used to sail there on the flash.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Kevin Stephens, in which case you'll definitely be interested in the SOPiB 2013 when admin announces it at some point in the not too distant future. Last year it was a choice of 2 weeks (both for some) with 6 days of guiding (if you wanted it), including adventurous touring options courtesy of Mr Nick Parks snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
And always look out for snow on Woodhead:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=59903
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I skin but just to get to exciting slopes and good snow. In general not more than an hour or two, though I've done 4 hour skins. I did try a 3 day tour but decided it wasn't for me.
As for ski mountaineering - well not quite: I have often used ropes to get into things (I have a harness), usually with a guide, but only walking and clambering up things - not using ice axes etc. (I don't even own one).
There are a number of people on snowheads who are much more into these areas than I am. No doubt someone will be along soon.

We had a snowheads weekend in Scotland two years ago in March which I started up (some people stayed longer) and I am trying to do one for next March (see: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2086068&highlight=scotland#2086068 ) but last year the snow got washed away for the weekend we planned. As a Londoner it is hard to do opportunistic skiing in Scotland.
How well do you know Scottish skiing? I am very keen on the Nevis back corries - particularly exploring the off-piste.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Tue 6-11-12 12:20; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Kevin Stephens,

You do realize the difference between "Ski Touring" and "Ski Mountaineering" don't you? Let me explain, with ski touring you tend to follow defined ascent and descent routes. Skinning techniques for ascent and offpiste skiing techniques for the descent are employed. Climbing or survival techniques are not extensively used. Ski Mountaineering is exactly the same with two main exceptions - i.e. you got lost and it's getting dark. wink
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I got benighted once so I guess that makes me a rad ski mountaineer Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I got benighted once over the back of Nevis in a blizzard - didn't have skis with me so that just makes ne a lost gaper.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
DB wrote:
Kevin Stephens,

You do realize the difference between "Ski Touring" and "Ski Mountaineering" don't you? L-)

I guess so, I've been mountaineering for 35 years, skiing for 6 years and skiing off piste/touring for 3 years; great to combine all 3 Madeye-Smiley My hope is that having skiis (instead of just boots) greatly reduces the chances of benightment Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Kevin Stephens, nah - skis just let you go further and get more lost Wink
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Kevin Stephens,
Nearly 30 years in the mountains before you found skiing - shame on you wink

Seriously ...... tend to Mountaineer and Mountain bike in the summer then Ski Tour in the winter. Prefer to have snow rather than rocks under my feet in the winter.

Which mountains have you been up? and where have you ski toured? more importantly what peaks/tours have you got your eye on?

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Fri 2-11-12 21:24; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I ski mountaineer in the summer too, mostly with a cocktail in hand in conversation with my new found lady friends. Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
[quote="DB"]Kevin Stephens,

More of a rock and ice climber in recent decades, but really enjoyed a rock route (Another day in paradise) on Piz Badile last summer. Only started touring recently, and so far just one day tours around Cham (eg Col du Belvedere etc) with climbing friends. Looking forward to longer tours in the spring, also using the skis to get to and from some technical rock and ice climbs
snow report
Hello, I am about to geting to skiing uphill, I wont call it touring or mountainering, yet, but I know I will end up lost and in the dark. So much so that I am going to make some powder tracers with reflective bits on them! Getting a course booked to learn how not to kill myself and then Britain in winter will be my playground!
snow conditions
Climbing with a pair of skis on your back is a bit of a pain and not much fun for a long period. On many ski mountaineering routes the skis are often left at the base of the rocks, which means in a lot of cases you have to take the same route back down from the peak. For me Ski Touring up Großvenediger was a lot more fun than the Großglockner or the Großer Geiger because you can keep your skis on.

This summer we did Piz Morteratsch in the Swiss Alps.
http://www.hoehenrausch.de/berge/munt_pers/images/panorama.jpg

The plan is to go back and do Piz Roseg next year, if we do that in good time Piz Bernina is next on the list but it looks a bit hard (esp the Bionacograt) so we will probably come up with some sort of excuse (e.g. weather, broken Flask, runny nose etc) that saves face and doesn't lose us any radness. wink

Pic at top of Piz Morteratsch with the biancograt in the background (me in blue jacket on the right).

Although a bit cloudy at the top we had good weather on the way up ....

Youtube clip of Piz Bernina. (not mine)

http://youtube.com/v/jDwxPyMaLWY

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sun 4-11-12 8:30; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Sharkymark wrote:
Kevin Stephens, in which case you'll definitely be interested in the SOPiB 2013 when admin announces it at some point in the not too distant future. Last year it was a choice of 2 weeks (both for some) with 6 days of guiding (if you wanted it), including adventurous touring options courtesy of Mr Nick Parks snowHead

DB wrote:
Kevin Stephens,
You do realize the difference between "Ski Touring" and "Ski Mountaineering" don't you? Let me explain, with ski touring you tend to follow defined ascent and descent routes. Skinning techniques for ascent and offpiste skiing techniques for the descent are employed. Climbing or survival techniques are not extensively used. Ski Mountaineering is exactly the same with two main exceptions - i.e. you got lost and it's getting dark. wink

Well that told you Sharky I think you'll find heli Nick had you ski mountaineering Toofy Grin
snow report
DB wrote:

Arno wrote:
I got benighted once so I guess that makes me a rad ski mountaineer Madeye-Smiley

I once climbed a small ice face – with ice axes and crampons – but didn't get lost and was tucked up safely in bed by nightfall. I've got some way to go before I can claim rad ski mountaineer status. Meh.
snow report
betterinblack, epic LOL Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
Zero-G wrote:
I once climbed a small ice face – with ice axes and crampons – but didn't get lost and was tucked up safely in bed by nightfall. I've got some way to go before I can claim rad ski mountaineer status. Meh.

It's the taking part that counts .........

http://thechive.files.wordpress.com/2012/11/meanwhile-in-russia-30.jpg
snow conditions
DB, talk about seeing opportunity Laughing
snow conditions
Cool, is that the accommodation for the PSB?
latest report
Kevin Stephens wrote:
Cool, is that the accommodation for the PSB?
It's the route to the bar on the SOPiB
latest report
Last year's SOPiB looks just the ticket, will there be one in 2013? Madeye-Smiley Please, please!!!
snow report
Best way to get going is to hire a guide (or join a guided group of inexperienced tourers) when you are in resort and do a day trip to see what it's like. You will learn a lot of things very quickly. Main points to remember, hydrate, go slowly on the uphill part (it's not a race), don't overdress but bring extra layers for the trip down and/or weather changes, hydrate as often as possible, lots of sunscreeen, do what the guide tells you to do. Assess after day one to see if it's really for you. If so, you'll have learned that you need to be in better shape, you need to be very patient and deliberate in all things, be very aware of your surroundings, you can't be too safe, guides are not like the rest of us, you will be able to go places that very few people can go in Winter and ski slopes that are only accessible by your own effort.
latest report
DB wrote:
Climbing with a pair of skis on your back is a bit of a pain and not much fun for a long period. On many ski mountaineering routes the skis are often left at the base of the rocks, which means in a lot of cases you have to take the same route back down from the peak. For me Ski Touring up Großvenediger was a lot more fun than the Großglockner or the Großer Geiger because you can keep your skis on.

This summer we did Piz Morteratsch in the Swiss Alps.

The plan is to go back and do Piz Roseg next year, if we do that in good time Piz Bernina is next on the list but it looks a bit hard (esp the Bionacograt) so we will probably come up with some sort of excuse (e.g. weather, broken Flask, runny nose etc) that saves face and doesn't lose us any radness. wink

Pic at top of Piz Morteratsch with the biancograt in the background (me in blue jacket on the right).

Although a bit cloudy at the top we had good weather on the way up ....

Youtube clip of Piz Bernina. (not mine)

http://youtube.com/v/jDwxPyMaLWY

If you like that area you should try Piz Palu it's really very good.
ski holidays
choucas wrote:
Best way to get going is to hire a guide (or join a guided group of inexperienced tourers) when you are in resort and do a day trip to see what it's like. You will learn a lot of things very quickly. Main points to remember, hydrate, go slowly on the uphill part (it's not a race), don't overdress but bring extra layers for the trip down and/or weather changes, hydrate as often as possible, lots of sunscreeen, do what the guide tells you to do. Assess after day one to see if it's really for you. If so, you'll have learned that you need to be in better shape, you need to be very patient and deliberate in all things, be very aware of your surroundings, you can't be too safe, guides are not like the rest of us, you will be able to go places that very few people can go in Winter and ski slopes that are only accessible by your own effort.

Good description - post of the week - lovely.

Just interested to know, how do you think guides not like the rest of us?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.

OwenM wrote:
If you like that area you should try Piz Palu it's really very good.

Thanks for the tip, I'm pretty sure that is Piz Palu in the back ground (The middle of the three peaks with a ridge running up to my right, left of the picture).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piz_Pal%C3%BC
snow report
DB wrote:

Thanks for the tip, I'm pretty sure that is Piz Palu in the back ground (The middle of the three peaks with a ridge running up to my right, left of the picture).

Yes it is, didn't see that first time around just shows how observant I am!!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy