Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

metron B5 again, but 152cm.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I wonder, has anyone skied the atomic metron B5 in the 152cm. length?
I am 158 lb, currently have 165cm pocket rockets, but wondered if a metron B5 might work at 152cm. The versatility, especially in steep bumps and trees would be nice - but what about everywhere else on the mountain?
Thanks for any advice.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
johnsill,

Welcome to Snowheads

I haven't skied it in any lenght tho' I have looked for it. It was either not available or already on hire. I'm over 6" and do have reaservations skiing such a tiny ski at 162. This is probably a throw back to much longer straighter skis of yore. I did however, really enjoy the Rossi 9s at 164 and the Elan SLX fusion at about the same. But they are out and out salom skis so do not lend themsleves to deep snow. I did get the SLX in fresh stuff and the ski tunneled a bit even with their shovel, but I wasn't too unduly perturbed by this.

I would say go with the manufactures size chart and cast any perceptions aside. Its supposedly a very stiff and heavy ski and a bit of an oddball last year because of these stats. That didn't stop it getting rave reviews, especially in the US. In this respect I feel this is because Europe was slow to wake up to its revolutionary dimensions. Other manufacturers may recognise they have missed a trick and have copied it this year.

For your height/weight try both. We always say 'demo' on here, its the only sensible way.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
JT, with regards to the B5 being a heavy ski, last year's model certainly was, but I think most of the weight was actually in the binding (for some reason Atomic used a very heavy binding) as opposed to the ski itself. I believe this year's model comes with a much lighter binding, and therefore hopefully a significantly lighter ski + binding combo?
And I think you're right that a bunch of manufacturers are copying the B5's shape this year.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
ponder wrote:
And I think you're right that a bunch of manufacturers are copying the B5's shape this year.

It wasn't really an original design when Atomic copied it Very Happy There's certainly more about though.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ponder, is correct, the Atomic Neox bindings are very heavy indeed. I've a pair on my Dynamic's (owned by Atomic now) and they turned a light ski into a moderately heavy one.

On the up side, the weight is due to the ammount of metal in the binding, so they should last for ages.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
ponder,

Thats probably shows that someone is listening because all the reviews last year I saw did mention its total 'ski over the shoulder' weight
I don't mind a heavy ski as such as long as it doesn't 'feel' heavy and planky underfoot.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The kids are regularly given Atomic skis at the hire shop, they're always really heavy.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
johnsill, I've got the 04/05 b5's in 162 & they're superb but I'm 200lbs. The 152cm is dead right for a 158 pounder as I'm sure you've seen on the Metron sizing guide. The old correllations to height just don't apply with this ski. Manoeuvrability in tight spots will be great but they're also great piste carvers in all turn shapes. However unlike many other top end skis the b5's are also very responsive at slow speeds. I did an instructor qualification on mine last week which entailed plenty of ploughing & basic skidded parallel turns & they were very easy to handle.

If however you still prefer a little more length then go for the M11 in 162cm. Not quite the top end performance range of the b5 though.

The 05/06 Neox 412 bindings are 1.1lbs lighter per ski compared to the 04/05 model.

Due to their short length the b5's swing weight is low so they do not feel heavy when skied. However, actual mass is great for stability plus crud & slush busting.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
agree with spyderjon, skied the b5 length 152 on the glacier at Kaprun in August, see here, it was superb on the morning icy crust, and still superb in the mushy lumps later in the morning, they just cut through everything, plan to buy a pair for this winter PS I'm 5'6, 67Kg
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for all your informative help. Now I'm feeling more confident about the 152 cm length. I also found out that I might even be able to demo before buying.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
johnsill, Some 152 b5's for sale on Epicski at a great price. So good infact if I were you I'd snap them up as if for some reason you didn't like 'em (trust me, you'll love 'em) you could flip them for what you paid.

http://forums.epicski.com/showthread.php?t=30213
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Dear Spyderjon, thanks for the message. I have emailed "skifor.." at epicski. Very kind of you to look out for my interests. john
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy