Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

First Impressions: FlyLow Baker bibs and Quantum jacket

Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone, just thought I would note down a few of my initial thoughts on the Flylow Baker Bibs I’ve just got through the post. They’re a small company that I’ve been following for a few seasons now and I will continue to update this post as I go into the season in Mayrhofen this year with some info on how they cope with some real conditions I’m hoping to find in December!

Having the option to choose my gear this season as I please has been a refreshing change, it all started at ISPO 2012 where during one of my frequent “research” strolls (ie read running around 16 halls filled with mountain kit like a manic kid in a sweetshop!) I came across two of what I consider the most interesting small brands out there, FlyLow and Trew. Both companies are relatively unknown in the UK market but have been making a name for themselves in the US for the past couple of years for bomber high quality technical clothing with a freeride style.

I finally nailed it down to the FlyLow Baker bibs and Quantum jacket, mainly down to the simple styles and colours offered, and after getting them through the post and spending a few days prancing around the house testing their “breathability” wink I must say I couldn’t be more impressed. I was really looking for an all round jacket and pants, I still have my lightweight Helly Odin gear for touring so something more hard wearing and substantial for general skiing and the odd laps through the park would be great.

The bibs are some of the hardest built pants I’ve seen with a great fit and feel with some great features such as substantial cross-venting on the legs, serious cordura reinforcement on the knee’s and cuffs (I absolutely DESTROY all the cuffs on my Helly gear after a couple of weeks) and plenty of pockets that are perfectly placed for easy access. The back of the bib itself is also high and should do a great job of keeping out the snow when I hit the deck...after all that’s one of the reasons I went for the bibs having just ditched my Helly Survival Suit! In fact in many ways with the cordura panels on the cuffs and knee’s they remind me of some of my offshore sailing gear!

The Quantum jacket is definitely of the same ilk, the material used is less heavy duty than the pants but also more breathable (20K Vs 10K) but shares the same thought process and solid designs, you can really tell the guys designing this gear are skiers with really well thought out features. I particulary like the ipod friendly napoleon pocket longer cut to the jacket, perfectly cut chin height and massive internal pockets for stashing goggles etc when skinning.

Overall they give the impression of being a well thought out, bomber design with a really nice cut and high quality, can’t wait to get out to resort now!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Are they on t`internet??
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
www.flylowgear.com
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Been very happy with the Fly Low Higgins jacket.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
the_doc, how does the sizing run?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Ah, I did consider the Higgins but I'm used to a trad hardshell design and I've never been one for softshells, how does it hold up?

Quote:

On the large size for sure, which as an ageing ex-park rat is fine for me! I could have gone for a Med size jacket but played safe and went Large. XL Bibs are fine, nicely cut and baggy enough for me but without being IMO ridiculous
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
spyderjon wrote:

I'm 5'11" and 75kg, medium jacket & large pants in flylow. Pants are a loose cut but the actual fit at the waist is good. The jacket choice between medium and large would be down to personal preference, as i nearly always wear a pack, only a couple of thin layers underneath and don't want too much spare fabric I go medium. For comparison in the Salewa 'Glen Plake' freeride range I'm a large jacket and XL pant.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
the_doc, It's a jacket.. surely it only comes down to four things

do I like the colour
does it have enough pockets / pitzips / wrist pass zip
is it warm / thing enough depending on conditions
is it a decentish brand so it probably won't fall apart in 3 minutes

surely that's about it, the rest is just marketing...
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
bertie bassett wrote:

What is the fit like, how long is it, can I get to the pockets if I've got a rucksack belt on, does it have a powder skirt, what's the hood like, is the hood insulated, does it fit over a helmet, how waterproof and breathable is the fabric, what sort of insulation does it use (if any), does it have 'wrist gaiters' or whatever those nifty double cuffs are called? Will the hood drawcords whack me in the face if it is windy? How easy are the zips to fiddle with if you've got gloves on? Is there a fluffy bit over the top of the zip?

Aside from that, the rest is probably just marketing Smile

Except the cost. That's just sales.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

surely it only comes down to four things

do I like the colour

bertie bassett,

the colours are great
oh yes
shells & layers are the answer
oh yes

Quote:

What is the fit like, how long is it, can I get to the pockets if I've got a rucksack belt on, does it have a powder skirt, what's the hood like, is the hood insulated, does it fit over a helmet, how waterproof and breathable is the fabric, what sort of insulation does it use (if any), does it have 'wrist gaiters' or whatever those nifty double cuffs are called? Will the hood drawcords whack me in the face if it is windy? How easy are the zips to fiddle with if you've got gloves on? Is there a fluffy bit over the top of the zip?

Serriadh,

the features all seem to be there, I'll report on the real world usability when I get some snow time................oh how I want some snow time!!!!!!

New kit - I am getting excited now - can anybody tell?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
bertie bassett wrote:
the_doc, It's a jacket.. surely it only comes down to four things

do I like the colour

Hmm, donno, I pretty much live in my kit for 5 months of the year so even the little things can irritate a little...for example the chin cuff on some of my old Helly kit was quite high and covered me up to and over my nose which became a bit of an issue when you start to work harder! I'm pretty tough on my gear and depend on it in some pretty tough situations, the last thing I want on my mind is any discomfort, no matter how small. Marketing really doesn't come into it for me.

However, I do like the colour wink
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
the_doc wrote:
Quote:

Ah, I did consider the Higgins but I'm used to a trad hardshell design and I've never been one for softshells, how does it hold up?

Good. Seems tough. How would it handle a full on non stop season I'm not sure. But over three years of frequent use it's still strong. Well designed. Wrist pocket for pass would be the only thing I'd add.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
nice one the_doc, been eyeing up Flylow and Trew also myself for a while, good to see them getting some Euro distribution
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

I finally nailed it down to the FlyLow Baker bibs and Quantum jacket, mainly down to the simple styles and colours offered

the_doc, strange but my memory is that you were ordering a different pair of pants until I plumped for the Baker Bib in orange. Still imitation is the sincerest form of flattery (and as people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones I will point out that I had no idea what boots you'ld ordered prior to my talk with CEM, so we'll have no return accusations please). wink
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
midgetbiker wrote:
Quote:

I finally nailed it down to the FlyLow Baker bibs and Quantum jacket, mainly down to the simple styles and colours offered

the_doc, strange but my memory is that you were ordering a different pair of pants until I plumped for the Baker Bib in orange. Still imitation is the sincerest form of flattery (and as people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones I will point out that I had no idea what boots you'ld ordered prior to my talk with CEM, so we'll have no return accusations please). wink

GODDAMIT IT, I'M THE BEST SKIIER ON THE MOUNTAIN!!!
snow report
OK, I've had a couple of days in the kit now (aswell as some tasty Whitedot prototypes but you'll have to wait a bit longer for that!) and all its done really is reinforce my initial impressions! The gear is really comfortable, well thought out will all the features you'll need to shred. The waterproofing and breathability are fantastic on both the pants and jacket, and whilst I will admit to being concerned with only 10k/10k on the Baker bibs, really I was worrying about nothing!

All the days skiing have been full on charging, so I've been working hard in all the fresh snow we've been having and with a nice mix of warm/cold weather and wet chairlifts things seem pretty darn solid so far.

I particulary like the cut of the Quantum jacket around the chin area...very smooth, perfect height and enough room that you can fit a fleecy hoody and bandana around your neck without it feeling tight. The same with the cuff lengths, just right to fit your gloves under nicely. Both these issues have peed me off with my Helly kit in the past big time! The only downside so far is that there is no arm pocket for your lift pass...but that is a very minor niggle!

The Bakers, well, what to say! They are absolutely solid, fantastic venting, and great cuff and knee reinforcement. The bibs are great with soft snow, keeping out any excess pow from soaking your crack with out the need to even use the powder skirt.

So, its early days yet but so far I couldnt be happier with my choice and wouldnt hesitate to recomend them to a friend looking for a similar setup.
snow conditions
I'm a flylow man, I'll compare it against anything, it's bomb proof with little ideas that make me think f**k, why didn't someone think of that before,
Dan the owner is a sound man as well with some seriously great customer services
ski holidays
Right I've had a couple of weeks of snow time in the Flylow now (albeit my activities were limited by dodgy knee and six year old) and I can only echo the praise from the posters above.

The gear gives the impression that it will stay the course of my 50 odd days a year and with decent layering underneath my temperature control has been easy to manage. The jackets hood is ideal as my helmet vents aren't closable, and with everything zipped up tight I could handle a trip up the Tete de Balme chair (those who know it will understand) last week that left me with an inch deep covering of hoar frost!

The Baker bib is the business, though my choice of orange has left me with the tag 'binnie' (from those, though, that I am convinced are only jealous of my new outfit).

All in all a serious thumbs up.
latest report
nozawaonsen wrote:
the_doc wrote:
Quote:

Good. Seems tough. How would it handle a full on non stop season I'm not sure. But over three years of frequent use it's still strong. Well designed. Wrist pocket for pass would be the only thing I'd add.

Yep, absence of a wrist pocket is my only quibble with the Quantum. Now that Flylow is pushing into Europe then I am sure this will get fed back and be incorporated into their designs soon.
snow conditions
midgetbiker,
Quote:

Yep, absence of a wrist pocket is my only quibble with the Quantum. Now that Flylow is pushing into Europe then I am sure this will get fed back and be incorporated into their designs soon.

Yep I had that feedback as well, from my lad in La Tania he is using Flylow for the whole season as well, a Quantum jacket and the Stash pants. If they past the test could well be selling next season, will post a pick of what the pants have to stand up to!!
snow report
Selection of pants that failed! the season test hoping Flylow will survive
snow report
Just need to decide between Flylow and Trew, but I think that once trew go on sale this summer, I'll have to grab myself a pair one of their bib pant. Heard good things about Gelanots, and both companies are raved about on TGR.
ski holidays
From the euro side of things I can recommend the Norrona Lofoten Pro Pant cuffs look even more heavy duty than the Flylow cuffs in that picture.
ski holidays
Yeah, I think Trew and Flylow are both absolutely solid choices...Norrona is of course beautifully made, but substantially more expensive and a wee bit thinner material on first feel Very Happy
snow conditions
Anyone interested in the Flylow Baker Bib could have a look at these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181095074155

They are already referencing this thread as a review, so we might as well close the circle.

My orange Bakers really impressed me, but unfortunately I won't be able to report on longevity for a while, except to say they escaped unmarked in the incident that ended my season.
snow report
Anyone please put out a link, where to buy FlyLow Ice Man Jacket in Europe ?
latest report
http://eur.flylowgear.com Not sure they have that jacket tho' - is it available on the US site?
snow report
Thanks, it gave me something to go on
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just been chatting to the guys from Flylow again, they've changed materials and cut in the Quantum for next season (so less bulk around the middle and slightly longer cut) which can only be a good thing IMO, and the Baker has a material change to bring it up to 20K/20K....I think I know what I'm ordering this month!
snow report
Are the fabric the same shiny one on FlyLow Ice Man Tarmac as Flylow Lab Coat Pewter ?
ski holidays
Just got my new set up for the coming winter, and yes after using my Quantum and Bakers for every day of the season last year I have gone for....a new set of Quantum and Bakers! The essential features on the jacket and bibs are basically the same, so a perfect fit around the chin, high collar and hood to keep the wind out, well thought out and placed pockets both inside and out as well as bomber construction and durability. The fit around the chest in my large jacket better fitted and more tailored, slightly longer (but IMO they could still go another few cm's longer, but it's ok) and the material is different...not so shiny as last years jacket, it feels much nicer and is still 20k/20k on the tech charts.

The Bakers are unchanged in fit and features as far as I can tell but now seem to be the same material as the Quantum, the tech has gone from 10k/10k to 20k/20k, and there are very slight changes to the strap buckles...as small improvements to make you life easier and as far as I can tell they will do exactly that.

So, once again stoked on the colour, features and fit! Great gear! The mahogany colour in the jacket and pants is a really nice match, more plum/dark purple coloured than the brown you see on the website, and at first fit they are really nice and comfortable with a range of motion tailored nicely in with the body.

To summarise, the Pro's...
- new and better fit on the Quantum.
- improved material on both quantum and bakers.
- improved breathability and waterproofing on the bakers.

Cons...
- really very little, maybe could still be slightly longer in fit? Then again the jacket will be easier to tour in as it is.
- why oh why not put a lift pass pocket in there? But then I coped perfectly well last season so it's not exactly a deal breaker Laughing
ski holidays
As its mid-January now time for a wee update from me, the kit is holding out really well, personally couldn't be happier! I also got hold of a pair of their Ridge glove, just a simple leather example similar to the Kinco one's I've seen around the slopes from time to time.

http://flylowgear.com/shop/accessories/gloves/ridge-glove-13.html

I've always had issues with cold fingers, and spent a fortune on Hestra's etc over the years so I was very keen to see if these would hold up and save me some £££. Been using them for about two months now in the relatively balmy and warm conditions here in Austria and they are great, warm (but not warm enough for the very coldest of days) and breathable enough for me to use as an everyday pair, I've had no issues with moisture or sweat building up, and wack in a pair of silk liners if the temperature drops and they will easily keep you going all day.

We've been very light on snow here for too long now, but last week some came through so if you want to see some of the conditions I've been putting the gear through here's a few links if anyone's interested?

Freedom Edit from paul jamieson
https://vimeo.com/83526129 - early season pow and empty slopes, perfect!

Wangl Edit from paul jamieson
https://vimeo.com/84250113 - hitting up some steeper stuff around town a few days ago.
snow report
the_doc, looks like rocky fun. Very Happy
snow conditions
Watch out for the snow sharks Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
Sorry to resurrect an oldish thread, but for anyone who was interested in the Quantum Pro jacket but discounted it for a lack of lift pass pocket, it would appear its now got one! I have just been lucky enough to pick up a sample of this years gear at a great price, and it has it. I'm very impressed so far and would highly recommend flylow gear!
snow conditions
@jonkgray78, might as well join you in bringing this thread back to life...........

you're right the Quantum has a sleeve pocket this season, as do a number of the jackets. I'm unsure if it's nagging from us Europeans that has done the trick, or the spread of electric gates in the US, either way it's a bonus.

I've just got the neo-shell jacket and pants at Christmas and shall report back once I've made a few turns.

My Flylow addiction is getting a little out of hand, I might have to post up at least one jacket in buy/sell before my French wardrobe explodes.
snow conditions
Ok, so I promised a review of the neo-shell Flylow gear, once I'ld made a few turns, so here we go:

This season I used the Flylow Lab Coat 2.0 & Compound Pant 2.0, I have to say these performed almost faultlessly. The fabric for 2014/15 season was toughened slightly from the previous year, so the feel was a little less soft, but the boost in durability more than made up for this in my opinion. I skied 50+ days in the gear from seriously cold Jan to the EOSB week in Apr (and the week before where it hit 28degrees in Chx), I never felt the need to wear a heavier or lighter top layer, I just adjusted what I wore underneath. Full length zips on the outside of the pant and vent zips on the inside of the leg and in the pits on the jacket meant a decent 'through breeze' could be achieved on boot packs

The cut/fit of the Flylow gear is now much more suited to the slimmer euro frame but still a nice loose freeride cut. The jacket is long enough in the body not to ride up under a pack and the cut now means the material doesn't bunch up under the pack if you are a bit slimmer.

I only said above that the gear performed 'nearly perfectly' as I managed to half rip the snow gaiter out of one leg of the pants near the end of the season, pretty sure this was down to user ineptitude more than anything else though and a bit of repair tape should see them back to new.

Anyone thinking about the Flylow gear should imo just go for it, at the price point you won't do better.
snow report
@midgetbiker, do you buy off the USA website and get it shipped over here?
snow conditions
@kitenski, nope, we get our gear through the euro distributor, Bluebird Gmbh. We order early and they ship the stuff in for us together with their standard order for the euro retailers. Only time we've hit a snag is this cycle when I tried to order some pants for my wife in March (for the following season) to find her choice was already sold out! That was just the manufacturer having sold out though (ie the retailer orders meant they had pre-sold all they had made) there would still be plenty in the shops come the season.

tbh I don't know who retails Flylow in the UK, I know SnowShepard tried out some gear in 2013 but I'm unsure if he then decided to stock.

Flylow is having massive growth in the USA. Don't know how this shift in the €/$ will affect prices in Euroland.

If you want Bluebirds contact details just let me know and I'll PM them over.
ski holidays
I bought a Higgins jacket from Bluebird and found them very helpful. I managed to get a Flylow 30% discount code from a US tour operator I went to Chile with. Problem was that there was nowhere to enter the code on the euro site. I emailed Bluebird and they altered the site, allowing the discount code to be entered and also got free postage. I got a medium and it suits my 6', long armed build very well - often find jacket arms too short.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy