Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

LES ARCS 2012 / 2013

Poster: A snowHead
No report from me today for Les Arcs as we headed up to Tignes and Espace Killy for the day. If you are interested in reading what we did you can either take a look at the thread here on snowheads.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=91825&start=880

or over on my Les Arcs Winter page where I shall post the photos shortly. Enjoy.

https://www.facebook.com/LesArcsWinter/photos_albums
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I am finding it difficult to find the words to express the sheer joy of today.

My private 1-2-1 lesson cancelled from yesterday started out at first lift under horizon to horizon blue skies , and no, I mean NO tracks laid anywhere seen from Arcabulle. And the previous afternoon plus night-time activity meant 12-15 inches of virgin loveliness just for us... over and over. And of course, bypassing what minimal lift queues there were with the 'ski school' rule. After finding suitable places to fall in some gorgeous fluffy powder the day carried on and on, in similar, wonderful, amazing, gob-smackingly fantastic vein.

To cap it all, the resort had arranged a drink for apartment owners across the domain at the top of the Aguille Rouge after lift-close. So apart from a 45 min recovery period at lunchtime, it was wall to wall stash hunting, followed by overtime. We skied down Arandelieres at 6.15pm .

A true first to last day. On a blue sky powder day.

It just doesn't get any better.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thursday 11th
After the up, the down.

It has been raining in 1950 all morning, and as the lady on 'R Les Arcs' radio said, first time this season that the temps at 1000, 2000 and 3000 m are all +. A chance to catch up on paperwork... May get out this afternoon, see what's left of yesterday's glory.

On a brighter note for those out next week, they do say it will get colder again, and Saturday and Sunday are expected to be sunny.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
All is not lost. A couple of hours of sunshine this afternoon meant some lovely runs off the top of Col de la Chal and Grand Col. And I think the majority had abandoned for the day, so it was practically empty. Snow was OK down to about Plagnettes lift, beyond that a bit sticky.

Still concerns about avalanches in the G Col, Refuge was 'officially' closed, but the pisteur guarding the tape advised us we could use it if and only if we stayed left. He repeated this a number of times, to make sure we and those listening understood. We stayed left, which was lovely, as clearly what had fallen as rain in 1950 was snow up there at the top.

Of course, within minutes (seconds?) of being given a "whatever you do stay left, and on piste" some moron boarder who thought he knew better went off piste on the right.

I suppose at some stage Dawinism will come into play, but if either me or Mrs Roll had been caught through his reckless selfishness, I would have been disappointed...
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I skied over from La Flat today and had a fantastic time. Murs had been pisted and had 15 cm of fresh....brilliant.

Grand Col was awesome. Did some of piste there in a the lightest powder known to man.

I will probably get drunk tonight just because I had such a good day....and there is more snow in the air.

Tomorrow should be just as good, but with even less folk.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
No update from me for Les Arcs today. A group of us went to the Three Valleys for the day. I have posted the report of the day in the thread below or you can read the details and see the photos on my Les Arcs Winter page if you are interested. I will add photos later. Enjoy!

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=92081&start=600

or

https://www.facebook.com/LesArcsWinter
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
At home is rainy England Sad

but what a great fortnight Laughing

Apart from friend's broken leg Sad

Friday, our last day on the slopes, was so quiet, we did actually ask if we'd got the days wrong, and it was a Saturday. But it was quiet even by Saturday standards. And there was 15 cm of fresh powder on the pistes. You could still find loads of space for lines even at lunchtime. I mean, c'mon guys, where the hell was everyone? We've photos of an empty Peisey bowl. I reckon scanning from edge to edge of vision left and right on the Vagere out of 1800 we saw 20 people tops on the whole face. It was incredible. So much good stuff, so few people enjoying it.

We were one of the first cars up Varet, and there only a couple of tracks on Lanches - we though it was piste patrol,so a bit nervous. Went down Arondlieres, and the on-piste pow was so good we went back up to do it again. Saw about 20, 30 lines down the front face, OK it must be open and OK, let's do it. Wow! so glad we did. It was steep and deep, and hugely satisfying. And I would say we skied it rather than survived it. Fan.Tas.Tic.

And the whole domain - was great, was quiet, was sunny. It was skiable down to Peisey without hitting slush. I have never, ever seen so much white stuff in the place. It was just awesome.

And then it snowed all afternoon and some of the evening. Can you believe, we were concerned about getting out - on April 13th FFS.

So, on the 7:23am bus out of 1950 this morning: cold, crisp, blue skies all around... I shall live vicariously through this thread for anyone going/still out there. You lucky people, you've got a great end of season coming up. Enjoy it for us.

AR and co.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Today was awesome.

Glacier was awesome. Does not get better.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Two days on the Bellecote and powder again today (Sunday). We had to get over to the Bellecote as quickly as possible this morning to get the best snow, but it was worth the effort.

After leaving Les Arcs we headed straight to the Bellecote bowl via Roche de Mio face which still had some soft snow in one of the more sheltered gullies.

Then a quick lap of the bowl on another untracked face with some good powder. Well worth the extra work to get into the face.

Finally over the back of the North Face down to the Cheval restaurant for a nice refreshing drink. The snow from the top of the ridge into the couloir was powder and in many places on the route we took, still untracked. A bit of a challenge today as we had quite a steep line into the face and needed to take care not to cause any slides. Going down through the cliffs was fun and the snow stayed good all the way down to the meadows below.

Then the hard work really started with soft, slushy and heavy snow mixed in with crud and 'death cookies' from the avalanches above all the way to the bottom of the river exit. You can still easily reach the bus stop without needing to walk which was great, but the snow lower down is very wet right now.

Despite the heavy conditions at the bottom, the snow higher up made it a great day out in the warm sun. We may just go back again tomorrow to make another route.

The pistes around Les Arcs and La Plagne that we skied today were holding up well in the warm temperatures and in the morning firm and great for carving. In the afternoon they were very soft, slushy and sticky in places, but you can still get everywhere without any problems. There is still loads of snow around and all stations are open although they have now closed a few lifts permanently and some pistes are also closed due to soft snow in the afternoons and the risk of avalanches onto those pistes.

If you plan to go off piste, take care and best to go in the morning when you will find typical spring conditions.

I am still very behind on all the photos, but will try to catch them up shortly.

snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
BRITISH ALPINE SKI RACING (BARSC) is coming to Les Arcs at the start of next winter for a race week.

For all those interested in Alpine Ski racing. It has been announced that the British Alpine Ski Racing Championship Festival of British Children's ski racing will be held in Les Arcs next winter from the 28th December 2013 to 2nd January 2014.

For further information use this link.

http://www.barsc.net/_pdfs/BARSC%20Championships%20release%20March%202013.pdf

For all those families that normally come to Les Arcs at this time of year for Christmas/New Year and are interested in allowing there children/teenagers to take part. It is very simple to enter these races as a 'one off' opportunity without joining in all the expensive other races around Europe. For details of how to enter the races you can take a look at the BARSC web page or the Britski web page. Links below.

http://www.barsc.net/index.html or http://britski.org/

If you have any questions that are not answered on the web pages above or need help you are welcome to PM me and I will try to point you in the right direction. I also know a few people that may have places to rent during that period.

Hope this helps with your planning for next winter.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
'217.26 km / h on a mountain bike' today on the snow.

Eric Barone made his final attempt today and managed to better his last years time. Great result. He hopes to be back again next year for another attempt. More details can be found at the link below.

https://www.facebook.com/LesArcsWinter/posts/443022669113152?comment_id=2927095&offset=0&total_comments=1#!/EricBarone.VTT?group_id=0
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
dave_m, Arctic Roll, I fricking h8 the pair of you. That should have been me.... ME!!!!!! I bloody knew it was going to be good. Sod work, sod the numb-nuts surveyor who couldn't get the job done in time, sod the finance twonks who keep changing their minds and ... AGGGGGHHHHHHGGHHGGHGVHHH.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The Spring conditions have really taken hold today.

We managed to get one last trip down the Bellecote Canadian couloir today by the easy entrance, but needed to be off the route by lunch time as the snow was becoming very soft and unstable. We had to cross a number of new avalanches today on the way out along the river bed track. Although there were some ski tracks from the last few days in the couloir it was still a good ski in challenging conditions.

After a drink at the bottom we headed back to Les Arcs and a nice lunch at the Vache restaurant in Peisey. Then a fast (slushy) ski back to the waterslide at the Altiport and home.

I think today may well be my last big off piste route for a few days until the snow becomes more stable and the colder spell forecast for the coming weekend arrives. The off piste conditions right now mean that you need to complete any routes very early to be sure to stay safe. What a change from the powder we skied yesterday.

However in the mornings you can still find firm snow which is great for carving on the pistes. By mid day the lower slopes are very sticky and even higher up the snow is quite soft on the pistes. If a piste is closed, take notice. With the high avalanche risk in the afternoons (level 4) it is not a good idea to go on closed runs.

Despite the spring conditions, for this time of the season, the snow depth is still excellent and you should be able to ski until the 27 April without any problem to all the stations that remain open. So far I have not seen any brown patches on open pistes.

This really has been a great season. Stay safe out there!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snowcrazy, Thanks for the news about the kids race coming to Les Arcs next New year. I suppose I will have to find somewhere else to go. Sad
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thursday 18 April. I went up a little late today. Good to have a rest sometimes. Blue sky all day and warm. Great for the suntan, but the snow gets very soft and slushy by the afternoon.

Met up with friends and skied around 'on piste today', first in Les Arcs for a while, then over to Peisey and across the Vanoise Express to the top of Champagny. Finally up the Roche de Mio for a look over at the Bellecote Glacier and then back through the tunnel and lunch on the way down to Plagne Bellecote.

In the morning the pistes started off firm and good for carving, but quickly became soft and slushy. After lunch they were wet and heavy, but still ok to ski as long as you kept your speed going.

The good news is that more snow is forecast higher up for the next couple of days which, as long as it gets colder will be good for the off piste (maybe), and the piste should be freshened up nicely. As there is still plenty of snow coming into the stations and you can still ski in almost the whole ski area. For those people coming out or staying for the last week of the season, you should be able to have a good final ski. Not bad for the end of April!!
ski holidays
NEWS FLASH!! IT IS SNOWING IN BOURG again, about 5cm so far and it is still coming down. LOADS more up on the mountain.
snow report
snowcrazy, The never ending winter Shocked Laughing
ski holidays
thefatcontroller, Yes, it is really amazing. The snow just keeps on coming. Here is a copy of todays update. It says 35cm at 3000m, but my friend out on the mountain says it may be even more and it is still snowing. I am on my way up now.

DAILY UPDATE: Saturday 20 April 2013 (Published around 8.30am each day.) All photos for this winter are posted on my 'Les Arcs Winter' facebook page.

Send me a PM if you would like the contact details of a local English speaking 'Guide/Ski Instructor' so you can also discover some of these great places.

WHAT IT IS LIKE OUTSIDE RIGHT NOW!
LOADS of snow TODAY!! After a lazy day yesterday because it rained all day from the valley to well above 2000m at times. TODAY I have woken up to snow outside my door. At least 5cm when I opened the door and it is still snowing now. There is snow right down to the valley floor. The minor roads are covered and I have just been told higher on the mountain driving is difficult. You will need chains! There is at least 35cm higher up and possibly more. The top lifts are closed right now. IT is still snowing. It is going to be a POWDER day. Time to go!! .

1) REMONTEES MECANIQUES (Ski Lifts closed today from Service ADS)
SECTEUR PEISEY-VALLANDRY : OUVERT / TK COMBE-TSF PARCHEY-GRIZZLY FERMES / DERBY DECALE
SECTEUR 1600 : OUVERT / SECTEUR GRANGES – MILLERETTE –CACHETTE-VEZAILLE CLOCHERET FERMES / MONT BLANC – SNOWPARK – ARPETTE DECALES
SECTEUR 1800 : OUVERT / TSD VILLARDS-TS GRAND RENARD- CHARMETOGER FERMES / TRANSARC 2 – VAGERE DECALES
SECTEUR 2000 : OUVERT/ TSD PLAGNETTES- TK LAC DES COMBES-COMBORCIERE - DROSET FERMES / BOIS DE OURS – VARET – ARCABULLE – GRAND COL – ST JACQUES DECALES
SECTEUR VILLAROGER : FERME

VANOISE EXPRESS : OUVERT (Connect with MONTCHAVIN-LA PLAGNE )

2) BEST PISTES TO SKI: (Recommended by Security de piste):
SECTEUR 1600 : AROLLES
SECTEUR 1800 : CARRELEY
SECTEUR 2000 : MARMOTTES
SECTEUR PEISEY-VALLANDRY : RENARD

3) CONDITIONS ON THE MOUNTAIN: (provided by Security de Piste)
Altitude: 1620/1800 m 2040 m 2400 m 3000 m
Snow depth: 108 cm, 215cm, 261cm, 315cm,
Temperatures (at 8am): -3, -5, -6, -7.
Avalanche Risk: (Risque d’avalanche (1 à 5): 4 (risque fort) HIGH.
Last snowfall: (Dernière chute de neige) : 35 cm – Sam. 20 Avril 2013

4) WEATHER FORECAST: (Provided by Meteo France BSM)
Sullen. Overcast, very heavy clouds hanging over the mountains. It is likely to be snowing from 600/700 m. This afternoon smaller clouds will form, but the sky will stay mostly overcast with strong winds on some peaks.

TREND FOR TOMORROW: Sullen! Very cloudy, with a low snowy rain-snow limit towards 1500/1700 m. Temperatures warmer than yesterday.

5) TIPS of the DAY: (provided by Security de piste)
VILLAROGER ski area is CLOSED!!

After the "warming" summer earlier this week, winter has returned with fresh snow from the valley. '22 cm of fresh snow at altitude 1600 m, 35 cm at 3000 m', therefore the mechanical lifts inter-segment link will open gradually in the morning.

SOMETHING FOR EVERYONE! Discover the fun areas!!
Snowpark! Waterslide! Toboggan! Speed Test!

PARADISKI: Enjoy the vast pistes of La Plagne by taking the biggest cablecar in the world "the Vanoise Express" from Peisey.
PASSION is OFF PISTE: try one of the many 'Pistes Natur '(ungroomed safe pistes) found in most sectors of Les Arcs and La Plagne.
CROSS-COUNTRY: 58 km in various locations.
PEISEY / VALLANDRY: Come and test your speed and stopping distance on the track specially dedicated for this purpose. 'Chrono speed.'
ARC 1600: Snow Park and big air bag (Giant airbag that cushions your most spectacular figures). The waterslide (pool 15 meters long that must be crossed by aquaplaning) near the Altiport Restaurant.
ARC 2000: Toboggan "the Rodeo Park" (3000 m track), The Boardercross course.

CAUTION: Control your speed in all circumstances. Take notice of the fluorescent banners planted on the slopes, they are there to mark degraded areas (plate of hardened snow etc, ..) and where intersections are located to make you slow down.

COUNCIL sécuritée: Stay on marked open pistes and be safe.

RESPECT THE NATURE! ! !

HAVE A GOOD DAY!

For all your Ski and Snowboard rental needs, visit Polaire Star Ski Shop next to the bottom of the funicular station in Bourg St Maurice

http://www.polairestar.com/

IF anyone can get back out here. The final week of the season is set to be amazing now. Blue sky forecast for Monday.
ski holidays
Bourg forecast for next Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday is three sunny days with temperatures of 18° / 21° / 23°

Good luck with the skiing - I'm looking forward to some early season cycling.
snow report
Today (Saturday 20 April) was one of those special days. It was like Christmas all over again. Fresh untracked powder everywhere and no people around. We started early and although many lifts were closed, we managed runs in Arc 1600, Arc 1800, over in Peisey Vallandry and even in the Arc 2000 bowl down the untracked race course. What a day!

Every where we went the snow in the morning was light and fluffy 'on and off piste'. At least up to our knees and sometimes even a little deeper. By 2pm many lifts and pistes linking Arc 2000 with Arc 1600 and Arc 1800 had opened for a short time and then closed again as the avalanche risk increased and the snow became wet and heavy. The wind picked up later in the day. Later in the afternoon the only way out of the Arc 2000 bowl was either by bus or down lift on the Transarc Gondola.

The sun came out at one point, but it has now clouded over again and more snow is expected tonight. Tomorrow should be another interesting day. There are people here even talking about another storm on it's way later in the week. This really is the 'Never Ending Winter!'

Just added the photos in the 'April 2013 Album Two' from last Saturday on the Bellecote. Powder all the way from top to bottom. Wait till you see the photos of today, a week later and we had untracked powder on every run we did today as well. What a winter!

To see the photos check out this link.

AndrewsPeppers, you missed out on some great powder today if you are not around or did not bother to go up. Tomorrow and maybe Monday should also be very good if it snows again tonight. I hope the storm being talked about does arrive later in the week as well, what an end of season we will have. Just like last year. Toofy Grin Think you will need to dress up very well for biking if the snow does return. There was about 5cm in the valley today, but sadly it has gone now. After all it is supposed to be spring.
ski holidays
Yesterday we went up to the Roche de Mio hoping to get fresh tracks on the Glacier off piste area. It was closed and remained closed for a long time so gave up and went down the face and back to the Bauches chair. Then made a number of runs down through the forest above Les Coches before lunch at the Blanche Muree then home.

The snow was good first thing, soft and easy to ski. But as the day went on it became heavy and wet when it warmed up. The sun managed to break through the clouds higher up and the mist came and went.

Real spring conditions continue. Good snow if you go up early, soft and slushy later in the day.

You need to finish your off piste early to stay safe.The pistes have plenty of snow and you can get everywhere without any problem, but some lifts are now closed. Only a few days before the resort closes and there will be loads of snow to the end. It has been a very good season!

Today!!

Wet and damp outside with very poor visibility right now. I cannot see the mountains in the distance and it is raining again. I have just heard it is cloudy right up to above 2000m. It might be a good day to catch up on more photos. The avalanche risk remains at level 4 again. Not very inviting on the slopes today. Will post an update again later if I go up today. Might have the day off. There may be some sun tomorrow! Very Happy
snow report
At last 'A day in the sun!!' Went up for first lift today (Tuesday) and headed straight to the Bellecote Glacier in the hunt for spring snow. It was worth the effort!!

When we arrived at the Bellecote Glacier they had finally opened the chair to reach the off piste bowl. This was going to be a good day! Plenty of places to make our own tracks we hoped.

Once at the top of the bowl, we managed to find a nice untracked route back to the Chalet de Bellecote Chair. Real spring snow almost the whole way down with only a little breakable crust near the start.

Back up to the Glacier and time to head down the North Face of the Bellecote (it is not a good idea to head down this face to late in the day at this time of year). Once more we were lucky and found plenty of spring snow. After a bit of light snow at the start, it quickly turned into breakable crust in the more exposed area before transforming again. As we reached the more sheltered section, it was 'Spring Snow' nearly to the bottom and the track out.

The final section past the river was very heavy, wet and slushy as we expected at this time of year. Once at the bottom it was time for a late lunch and then home via the waterslide above Arc 1600. So far I am still dry! just! Only a few more days to go!!

The pistes everywhere today were holding up very well. Firm and good for carving in the mornings and by keeping high, still fun to ski even later in the day. Going down into the stations in the afternoon the snow was heavy, but not impossible and there is still plenty of snow right to the bottom of all lifts that remain open.

The off piste in most places has started to transform into 'real spring snow' (a thin layer of very light soft snow on top (little crystals) with a firm base underneath) and if you catch it at the right time before the harder base turns into a breakable layer, it is fun to ski. Timing and knowing where to find the best snow is everything now the weather has warmed up. There are plenty of avalanches and unstable slopes about so we need to be extra careful at all times.

Tomorrow we hope to go back and find some more spring snow before the bad weather returns later in the week. Four days to go and still very good skiing to be had!!
ski holidays
Today (Wednesday) I was on the first chair out of Arc 1600 again. Met up with friends and we went straight for the Bellecote Glacier. Some might disagree, but I think this is the best place for fresh untracked spring snow right now.

Once on the glacier we made a run down the bowl to the Bellecote Chalet chair and found some good spring snow. Just as good as yesterday!! Some then headed for La Plagne and two of us went down the Cairn Couloir on the North Face of the Bellecote. You had to be careful, but it was fun.

At the start, the snow was soft and easy to ski. Further down it became more spring like and then as we neared the meadow it was heavy. Once on the lower meadows, if you kept your speed up you could make good turns all the way to the avalanche debris in the river bed.

By taking a careful route round the lumps of snow we made it back to the bottom of the valley and a bus ride to Peisey. Finally a beer and then home via the snowpark.

Another good day in the sun. The snow higher up is still good to ride and even lower down although challenging it was fun! The pistes are much the same as yesterday. Hard and firm in the morning, soft and slushy lower down in the afternoon.

The forecast for tomorrow is for another good day in the sun. Hope the rain holds off until the lifts close on Saturday.

Sorry for the delay in posting photos. I am having problems with my computer. Loading the photos is very difficult as it keeps telling me I have NO space left on my hard drive. I will try to get last weeks photos loaded as quickly as I can, but it may take a while. If anyone knows how to fix a 'hard drive' problem. Please send me a PM.

You will need to check the 'Les Arcs Winter' page photos link over the next few days if you are interested in seeing how the season comes to an end. There is still loads of snow about. The 'Never Ending Winter' continues!!
snow conditions
After a day like today, even if the bad weather does arrive tomorrow. My season has come to a peak in the last few days. Today was a treat. It is amazing how many kilometers you can cover in one day when not in a big group.

Started off in Arc 1600 on the first lift as it opened. Down to Arc 1800 and up the Vagere, then over to Peisey and across the Vanoise Express. Over to Les Coches. Up the chairs and down to Plagne Bellecote. Past Plagne Soliel and Plagne Village to Plagne 1800. A few more lifts and into Mont Albert. It had been good snow the whole way. Firm and fun for carving first thing in the morning with few people around. Why can they keep Mont Albert open until the end of the season and not manage to do the same for Villaroger? Well done La Plagne!

Then back up the chairs out of Mont Albert and all the way down to La Roche. Up to Aime La Plagne and then through Plagne Centre. From the top of the Grande Rochette all the way to Champigny and the Borseliers chair. Finally into Belle Plagne. Up the Gondola to the Roche de Mio and then onto the Bellecote Glacier.

The pistes the whole way round La Plagne were in very good condition and it was great to cover the whole domain in just a few hours.

Time now for some off piste. What better way to finish a good day than to go down the North Face of the Bellecote by one of the steeper routes. After a short hike, dropped over the ridge and down between the middle couloirs to avoid any avalanche risk. The snow higher up was soft on top with a hard base. Typical spring conditions. Lower down on the meadows and coming out by the river bed it became slushy, but still easy to ski. You could still get all the way to the parking area without walking. Not bad for the end of April.

By 1.30pm the bus arrived and after a few more lifts made it to the snack bar above the Peisey chair for a few beers and to say goodbye to those leaving shortly.

Finally back down to Arc 1800 and across to the Waterslide for one last go (stayed dry) before the Altiport bar closes today. Then down to Arc 1600 and home as the lifts were closing.

The conditions today were very good. Blue sky, still loads of snow and not to soft off piste. I hope I get the chance for a couple more days skiing if the weather holds, there is still plenty of untracked spring snow around. I shall have to wait and see what the morning brings. I even heard from one lift technician that more snow might be coming by the weekend.

The 'Never Ending Winter' seems set to continue a little longer!!
latest report
Nearly over!! Only one day of the season here in Les Arcs left. I did go up today even though it actually started raining as I was on the first lift.

However, the rain stopped and the sun managed to break through for a short time. Headed straight for the Aiguille Rouge and made a couple of routes down the North Face. The snow off piste was already soft by 10am although in the more sheltered area it was reasonable to ski. By my second trip to the top it had started to snow lightly and the wind had picked up a little. I did manage to find room for some fresh tracks which was nice.

When I arrived back at the cablecar for a third ride up, they had just closed it due to avalanche risk and said it would not open again today.

With the highest lift closed, I went over to the Grand Col chair and made a few laps on both sides and although the snow turned soft quickly it was still ok. As the weather is predicted to be worse tomorrow, after the second lap it was time for a tour of Les Arcs.

For those interested, here is the route around Les Arcs I took. First to Arc 2000 from the top of the Grand Col and then up Lanchette to the top of Villaroger. Back across to Peisey, then up the chair and down to Vallandry. Up the Vallandry and Derby chair then the Transarc.

From the top of the Transarc, down to the Mushroom bar (one of the few still open) for a quick drink then through Arc 1950 to the Bois de l'ours chair. Down Clair Blanc in soft slushy snow just for fun then all the way to Arc 1800.

Back up the Vagere chair and across to the snowpark and finally down to Arc 1600 and home.

All the pistes when I started in the morning were firm and good to carve, but quickly became soft and by the time I arrived back at Arc 1600 were mostly soft and slushy. The weather was a real mix today, sometimes raining, then a little light snow then a few sunny patches. By 2pm it really was time to head home with the snow becoming more like heavy soup.

It was worth the effort to go up for a ski today. There is still plenty of snow around and those that enjoy touring should be able to continue well into May. Tomorrow is the last day of the season so I shall try and make the effort to go up one last time.

I will keep uploading the photos from the last weeks, but my computer is very slow and needs medication so it can only manage a few uploads at a time. Those waiting for your photos, sorry for the delay. Please check back at the Photo link regularly. Enjoy!!

snow report
snowcrazy, As ever, I've really enjoyed your updates - thank you. Have a good summer Smile
snow report
genepi wrote:
snowcrazy, As ever, I've really enjoyed your updates - thank you. Have a good summer Smile

seconded. Great updates this year. Looking forward to next year already.
latest report
snowcrazy, As others have said, thanks for gong skiing everyday on our behalf and telling us what a good time you have been having wink Laughing
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Any new lifts for next year?
ski holidays
snowcrazy, likewise, thanks for all the updates. It's been a good one.

Are you out in the summer at all, or are you off "funding the winter"? We'll be down for 10 days or so, back end of August.
latest report
snowcrazy, ditto, thanks for all the updates and great skiing.
snow report
Saturday 27 April 2013! Last Day of the Season in Les Arcs!!

The last day of the season in Les Arcs is now over. It turned out to be not much of a day for me. However Friday was great so I do not feel I missed anything.

They only opened three lifts in the Arc 2000 bowl and a few more over on the Arc 1600/1800 side. The sun did come out for a while and the rain stopped, but it was hardly worth going up. Very soft wet heavy snow and almost impossible to get above the freezing line as all the higher lifts were closed.

I spent most of the day fixing my computer. It seems to be working OK again now.

I hope to get a few more days skiing in Val d'Isere/Tignes and maybe Chamonix. Even a few of the higher Swiss areas are still open so I might still be posting again next weekend.

Thanks to all those that have posted messages. I have enjoyed keeping you all informed about the season. It has been a really good one for me even if I did miss most of December. Only skied 104 days so far this season, mostly off piste. Shall have to do better next winter!

It has been great skiing with so many of you this winter. I hope you all enjoyed our days out as much as I did. We certainly managed to do quite a few powder days this year. I look forward to skiing and 'snowboarding (I hope)' with many of you next season. Thanks for the company everyone, it has been fun!!

I would also like to thank Polairestar Ski and Snowboard Rental shop at the bottom of the funicular in Bourg for all there help and support this season. They have done a great job looking after my skis and helping me out with other skis when I needed something different. I strongly recommend them to anyone coming out for a holiday. They have been great. Thanks Rosie, Gordon and Tom! http://www.polairestar.com/

Now that I think I have managed to get my computer working better I shall try to catch up on all the photos from the last weeks as quickly as possible. Still have some good ones to post. Keep your eyes on the photo link as they are uploaded if you are interested or have not yet had the chance to download your pics. Enjoy!!

PS. I have just heard it is snowing up on the mountain again tonight. The 'Never Ending Winter' goes on!!

Arctic Roll, not sure of time off during the summer yet, hope I will get a few days. Will let you know if I will be around.

ringingmaster, there is a bit of gossip going on about developments in Arc 1800 and maybe Arc 2000 this summer. I have been to busy having fun the last few days to catch up on the facts. I will ask around and post when I have some concrete news rather than gossip. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
The photos are nearly up to date. Only the last few days left now to post now. Just posted 21, 23, 24 and 25 April. Last ones coming tomorrow evening.

Take a look at how the season finished in the April 2013 Album Two on my Les Arcs Winter facebook page. Spot your photos if you have not seen them yet! Enjoy!

latest report
All done!! Finally finished uploading the photos!!!

All the photos for this season are now uploaded. The last ones for Les Arcs are in the April 2013 Album Two. Take a look if you want to see what the snow was like at the end of the season or would like to download your pictures. There was still loads of snow around!!

The photos of my day in Espace Killy (Tignes and Val d'Isere) are in the Val d'Isere and Tignes 2013 Album. Plenty of snow there as well. I might manage another day our later in the week before it closes. Hope you enjoy the photos! Very Happy

snow report
Ever wondered how the deep the snow was in the 2000 bowl? Well once the season is over they dig paths out through the snow to allow movement around the bowl by car for any maintenance workers. You can see from the paths dug up that there is still one hell of a lot of snow there.

ski holidays
Looking at the webcams it might be time to start the 2013/2014 thread soon Toofy Grin Laughing
ski holidays
Hi everyone. I managed to get as few days over in Les Arcs at the weekend. The weather was great, blue sky and warm so spent most of the time up in the mountains.

Also managed to get across to Montchavin for the Motor Sports Day. Very fun and had a ride in one of the cars (a rally RS Focus) down the mountain at 130 km/h round those small bends, PS. 'the road was closed to normal traffic!' Not a good idea to do it yourself, and I was not the driver. One car did crash on a bend during the day, so even the experts can get it wrong sometimes.

There is still snow about above 2000m and in some places the snow drifts are still quite deep. Take a look at the photos. In the sunny places the snow has all gone, even high up, but if you had the bottle to do it, there is still a narrow strip down the North Face of the Bellecote. Tempting, but not for me!

If you go hiking it is easy to reach the snow line above 2500m and many of the mountain refuges are now open around Mount Pourri and in the Vanoise National Park.

The Arpette Restaurant seems to be the only mountain restaurant open up the hills this summer, but there are many others open in the resort station. Bar-King-Mad in Villars Arc 1800 village always does great food and drinks.

I did not get over to the Arc 2000 bowl this weekend so did not see what is open on that side of the resort.

There are many new mountain bike tracks this year (some old ones re-named). I tried a few of them. Some are easy green and blues. Others are harder reds and the Black down to Bourg has been diverted again while they continue with the pipe building.

In Arc 1800. the golf course is open and is in good condition. With the warm weather the swimming pool is very nice. Everything else is gearing up for opening during this week. The Parcour Adventure tree course for large people and the kids one is also about to open. Look on the Les Arcs web page for all the info. There are loads of things to do here in the summer.

The White Water rafting, canoeing, canyoning and hydro speed on the river in Bourg has already started and lots of fun. They have an easy section for the kids and harder sections for anyone over 13 years of age. There are also a few lakes to play in or fish around the valley or up in the Arc 2000 bowl.

On the construction side.
Despite all the gossip of last winter there is no real work taking place on the lifts in the Arc 1800/1600/Peisey Vallandry sections. They are building a new restaurant above Arc 1600 near the side of the cachette piste and also a restaurant between the race piste and the blue piste coming down into Arc 1800 and that seems about all the work going on.

As I did not get over to the Arc 2000 bowl this weekend, not sure about that side. If anyone is going over that side please do post an update.

That's about all for now. Take a look at the photos if you want to see what the conditions are like during the summer or see some of the activities you can try.

The mountains are a really fun place for an activity holiday in the summer and it is normally very warm in the valley around 30+ degrees and a nice 23 - 28 degrees up the mountains so you are sure to come home with a nice suntan if you wish. BUT it can change and it does rain sometimes.

Hope you all have a good summer what ever you are doing and see some of you next winter.

https://www.facebook.com/LesArcsSummer
snow conditions
Ye gods, saw some stuff on Facebook re this race but managed to find the english translation and race criteria. Now thats one hell of a day. However walking up La Plagne is still quicker than some fo the lifts(Oh come on its summer time ( wink wink Laughing Laughing )

http://www.la6000d.com/en/the-races/6000d/6000d-presentation.html
snow report
Summer 2013 (Update)

Just posted an update of what we have been doing so far this summer and work around the mountain that is going on in Les Arcs in preparation for next winter over on the 'Les Arcs Summer' facebook page. Take a look if you are interested.

For anyone thinking of coming out during the summer months. The weather is mostly very good. Just as warm as at the beach, but with loads more activities to do. Come and give it a try. You will not be disappointed with what Les Arcs has to offer. Take a look at the photos of all the activities we have been doing. They are easy and suitable for most people young or old!!

https://www.facebook.com/LesArcsSummer
snow report
Out there next Saturday. Can't wait.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy