Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Easiest Airport Transfer in Europe?

Poster: A snowHead
Come on folks. What are the easiest airport transfers to recognised resorts in Europe. "Ease" best encompasses mainly time taken to get from A to B, which of course brings into play larger airports taking longer to get you through passport control. I guess it also considers trains, buses, and hire cars in that order.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Innsbruck for St. Anton was very painless.

Geneva to the resorts off the Autoroute Blanche ( A40 ) is also pretty easy.

CP
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
CP,

Times for both scenarios?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Private jet to Aosta, no passport control to talk of, limo to any where nearby. Transfer about 40 minutes.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Salzburg to Zell am Zee. About 75 mins by coach, but a very good and smooth road. Zell also has a very well placed railway station.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Peter Leuzzi,

Courcheval Altiport to Courcheval sounds the quickest. I am just waiting to see if my friend has a upto date mountain rating for that landing strip and I would love to do it this season. Should be about 25 mins from landing to hitting the piste ..!!!

Sion to Zermatt was good, no more than 90 mins tops via train and bus.

Grenoble to ADH, LDA 90 mins, small airport.

GVA to Chamonix, less than 1hr travelling but how quick can you clear the airport?

Zurich to St A - 3 hrs..? and Engelberg, 2 hrs, are good and both have resort stations, you need to change at Lucern for the latter tho'

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Wed 5-10-05 22:21; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Peter Leuzzi, Innsbruck to St. Anton by T/O coach was about 1hr 15min - can't remember how long it took from landing to collecting bags/clearing customs - but it was not a long one.

Geneva to Les Carroz should take about 1hr 15min, about the same for Chamonix, Verbier in about 1hr 30min. Some of the other resorts accessed from the A40 will take a bit longer, up to 2 hours for some of the PDS areas. Getting from aircraft to clearing baggage at GVA is another matter unfortunately. It can be quick or it can be horribly slow ( and it can be without bags as well Crying or Very sad )

CP
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
you can get out quickly from arriving in chambery, walk to hire car outside terminal and be in Meribel an hour and a half later
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Can you imagine putting you boots on whilst on the plane, stepping out at Courchevel Altiport with your skis, clipping in, and skiing down to your chalet or hotel whilst your man does the luggage Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
David Murdoch,

Quote:

Private jet to Aosta, no passport control to talk of, limo to any where nearby. Transfer about 40 minutes.

Is that Ryanair or Easyjet?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Peter Leuzzi, Sadly Aosta lacks something - no idea what? long enough runway? instrument landing? - to allow one of the 737 locos to operate otherwise I'm sure they would do. Bit of a hairy approach I'd imagine too...
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Berne airport to Jungfrau Region, small airport so no walking miles to customs, 50 mins by road to the Jungfrau Region (Lauterbrunnen or Grindelwald) 2 hours by public transport because it means a bus journey and several train journeys
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Never been there but Innsbruck to Innsbruck must be pretty easy snowHead snowHead

Sierre to Crans Montana is fairly straightforward.
Turin to Milkyway resorts is also pretty straightforward.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
There used to be scheduled flights into Sion from the UK.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Innsbruck to the Stubai is surely the quickest though? Easily under an hour and more like 30mins in a car.
snow report
GVA - Flaine or Avoriaz should be 1.5 hours or less I think but haven't done either for a while.
snow conditions
Seem to recall that Innsbruck to Mayerhofen is only about 30mins. GVA to Avoriaz not sure but the last time we went there the team dropped me and Paul at Morzine (could have done Le Gets) and skiied up. To Le Gets 1 1/4hr if they hadn't wanted to stop for lunch much to Paul and myselves disgust (we were the only ones with own skis!) Puzzled
snow report
my memory is that is used to take me more like an hour from Innsbruck to Mayrhofen, still quick though.

on reflection, the closest is probably Axams, around 20mins from Innsbruck. There's actually some closer lifts but we're probably wanting to stick to places people might light to weekend at. Axams it fantastic btw Very Happy busy at weekends though Crying or Very sad
latest report
Salzburg Airport to.....:
St Johann im Pongau,
Flachau
Radstadt
Schladming
Zauchensee
Obertauern

all around 60-70 minutes (mostly motorway) away.
snow conditions
Sion to Nendaz ... 20-25 minutes ... 17km.
Any of the French altiports ... no time at all , you're there. Not served by Fat Greek Airlines though.
latest report
Turin to Sesteriere about 1hr on the coach or 40mins by car, but it could mean you have to wait 90mins for your bags in the terminal as I think it was the worst airport experience of my life.
ski holidays
Roger C wrote:
you can get out quickly from arriving in Chambery.....
True at quiet times. But their single baggage carousel is easily overloaded if a few flight arrivals coincide at weekends. Still a pleasant little airport if prone to being fogbound now and again. Taxi to the train station in Centre Ville takes only minutes and should be less than 20 Euros. The stopping trains to Moutiers, Aime, and BSM don't break speed records but for convenience, comfort, cheapness and reliability (no traffic jams) can't be beaten.
snow report
Surely Innsbruck to any of the Innsbruck resorts by cab? But for real resorts, I'd guess Innsbruck to StAnton, Mayrhofen, etc. or GVA to LesGets, Flaine.
Arrive at GVA by international train (like me), and you have already done the passport/customs thing so you just walk straight from train to your choice of transfer transport.
ski holidays
kuwait_ian, How long does the train journey take from Chambery to BSM?

Thanks

CP
latest report
About 2 hours. Stops everywhere. It might be only one hour by car - on a good day with a following wind. If you are lucky and get a train time to fit well with your flight arrival it's a viable option. Otherwise you can lose 1/2 a day.
ski holidays
kuwait_ian, CP, driving in your own car/taxi with clear roads (i.e. NOT a Sat or Sun) it should be a little over 30mins between from Chambery airport and, say, the Meribel TO. But clear roads between Chambery and local resorts are like hens' teeth....

For example: One holiday = 1.15hrs Meribel to Geneva - by private taxi. Another holiday = 3hrs Chambery to Meribel - by Tour Op bus.
ski holidays
Manda, 1.15hrs Meribel to Geneva - good grief!! that must have been a bit exciting. Puzzled

CP
ski holidays
 brian
brian
Manda, 30 mins, Chambéry to Méribel ? It's 102 km ffs !

You'd have to average 127 mph Shocked
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
127mph maybe ok on the autoroute (watching out for cameras of course) but round the corners on the drive from moutiers up to the resort that would be something special!
ski holidays
Turin to Serre Chevalier,lande 10.15, RYanair, so luggage thrown off plane at alarming speed. Depart airport having picked up hire car by 10.45, arrived in SC by midday, straight to hotel, and at top of lifts in Monetier-les-Bains by 12.45 (midweek flight).
ski holidays
Helen Beaumont, good work!
snow conditions
Nadenoodlee, I'm hoping we can repeat it at even greater speed this Winter as our apartment is just opposite the lift, and we won't have to check into the hotel.
ski holidays
Roger C, it was Twisted Evil
The little van was shaking for most of the route! To be fair it was from Meribel, i.e. DOWNhill. And we left at 7am. On a Sunday. Two weeks before Xmas. Which made for an incredibly clear road.....

brian 102km. Yup, sounds very do-able in about 30mins.
Is like um.... [has a quick Google coz imperial is a foreign language] ....63miles. 120m/hr would get you there in just over 30mins. Give or take a speeding ticket.
snowHead
latest report
Manda, do behave. It's not possible, to average those sort of speeds you'd need to be touching over 300km/hr at times, Even on sprints across Germany in fast cars I rarely managed to avergage more than 150kph and that was touching 250kph on the Autobahns.
ski holidays
ise, I think we are having our legs pulled here. It used to take me nearly an hour to get from my home near Ferney-Voltaire ( French side of GVA but you know that I am sure ) to Annecy.

CP
ski holidays
ise,
Quote:

I rarely managed to avergage more than 150kph and that was touching 250kph on the Autobahns.

I find that it's the comfort breaks that really pull down the average mph/kph wink
snow report
CP, Doubt it .. more a case of putting wrong Meribel (Sallanches) into viamichelin ! .. Twisted Evil
snow report
CP wrote:
ise, I think we are having our legs pulled here. It used to take me nearly an hour to get from my home near Ferney-Voltaire ( French side of GVA but you know that I am sure ) to Annecy.

CP

mind you, like me, I'm sure if you heard some frontalier doing it in 20mins you'd not be surprised Very Happy
snow report
Has anyone used Sion in the Valais area of Switzerland ? - it must be very close to Zermatt, Saas Fee and Andermatt (??). But be warned it has a tendancy to get fogg-out and flights are diverted to geneva - a long slow road transfer. Crying or Very sad
latest report
not so close to Andermatt but ok for loads of Valais or Vaud stations. Nendaz, Crans, Verbier etc
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy