Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Iceland 2012-2013

Poster: A snowHead
tiffin, every one but mine. Wink
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
This was less than 24 hours of snow:
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Here's a small cultural guide for people coming over. Wink

http://www.guidetoiceland.is/about-iceland/article/the-10-weirdest-things-about-icelanders
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
So following last weeks rather epic one day snowfall it went right back to melting again. The picture above was pretty obliterated by the next morning! Thankfully in the last couple of days things have turned around again and it's snowing in Reykjavik again with the mountains looking white (albeit on zero base in a lot of places visible from town). The weekend looks sunny and cold so we're off ski-touring.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Things did not suck this evening, 15-20cm of relatively heavy fresh snow and hardly anyone on the mountain.

snowHead
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Here are some photos from yesterday. Bláfjöll is about 25 minutes away from Reykjavik and offers normal and floodlit skiing whilst there is snow there to ski. It's only got about 300m of vert so its lots and lots of short laps on a high-speed quad. It's light now until 1930 so we got two and half good hours of good vis off-piste in before it wasn't worthwhile trying to ski in the poor light. Skied a couple more laps under floodlights and then grabbed some food on the way home. Lots of sharks lurking under the new snowfall, I got taken out once in what is usually a pretty safe spot and can feel the rocks I landed on, under the snow, this morning. Sad

Looking up from the base as we arrived and things are looking a tad murky.

Gearing up by my car.

Looking back down and it's cleared up a touch.

Watching the sunset whilst skiing fresh snow off-piste.

I need to work out the burst settings on my camera.

First time out on the Corvus' in soft snow and they kick much more ass than my Verdicts did in those conditions. The tapered tip definitely makes things smoother.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
A rare photo of me, ski-touring did not suck today, fuller TR incoming.

latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Here it is:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=99155

Total route distance was 15km.

Lots more short lines to do on the mountain up high and some longer descents for when the snow cover lower down is better. Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The mountain closed on our way up to Bláfjöll today as they closed due to the wind.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads

Laps up North were pretty good after powering through the ice up top. Very Happy

We also tried to summit Súlur which is a nearby mountain but were turned around by most of the mountain being scoured down to blue ice from the previous thaw and dodgy avi conditions on the loaded slopes.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Some photos from last weekend, sadly I suffered lots of technical problems so only ended up with photos from my iPhone!

Looking out into the valley a little way up from Akureyri.

Skinning up the ridgeline and hitting the first of the blue ice neve.

The most sun we saw on the first day.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
meh, snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It's melting somewhat quickly down south now, although there are still occasional dumps of snow coming in.

Went up North this weekend but couldn't find anyone to tour with so ended up skiing with my girlfriend all day on Saturday, then got hit by a cold on the Sunday so we just pottered around the coastline looking at things. I did get off once to ski something interesting:

A nice little techy entrance leads into a awesome open slope.

I <3 Big Turns.

You can see the steep entrance there, was filled with crust and sharks so not nearly as friendly as it looked from above. Sad

There is a ridiculous amount of snow left in the North and in the West Fjords.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
meh,
Quote:

There is a ridiculous amount of snow left in the North and in the West Fjords

Just back from Ísafjörður, having spent the last week based on the yacht Aurora, skiing the slopes of the west fjords in the Hornstrandir penninsula with >Borea Adventures<, and "yes" there's plenty of snow up North (with another big storm forecast this week).

I'll get a TR thread started soon, when I've had time to sort through my pics, but here's a taster looking SE from the top of Kagrafell over the Hesteyrarfjörður

snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
geoffers, awesome, looking forward to it. The guy I was skiing in Japan with is thinking of doing that for his stag do next year.
ski holidays
Storm forecast for the end of the this coming weekend.

I posted this in the Off-Piste section but Iceland now has some avalanche hazard forecasting for limited areas (the ones popular to be in):
http://en.vedur.is/avalanches/forecast
snow report
Just seen a few pictures and it's powder, powder, powder in the North today.
snow report
Just started posting my west Fjords TR in http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2280760#2280760
snow report
Went out into the Central Highlands today but it was far too windy to ski 25m/s or there abouts at the bottom of our target Bláfell. The wind was also kicking up a crazy dust storm which made the place look like Mars so we went for a bit of a drive and shot some footage from the car instead.
snow conditions
The middle of Iceland looks a good deal like Mars especially when it's this windy but the roads at this time of year are officially still closed because the snow melt tends to make the roads impassable unless you are in a 4x4. You do end up with odd shots like this one though, we're discussing how best to get across the piece of washed out road just in front of the jeep.

latest report
meh, No skiing then ? Road doesn't look too bad. You should see some of the lanes around here wink
latest report
Nope, was gusting over 60mph at the base of the mountain so seemed a touch fool-hardy to head up. We'll be back when the conditions are a bit more spring like. It's pretty much that windy over the whole of Iceland at the moment. We went for a bit of a drive further into the interior though until we met a bit of road I didn't fancy trying to get across without another vehicle there to help us if we got stuck. Hidden just out of view there is a pretty deep trench. This road is one of the good interior roads, during the summer people will be driving across it in normal street cars but currently the transport authority has it marked as impassable.

We were around here:
http://ja.is/kort/?x=469433&y=450663&z=4&type=map

Will be heading up North next weekend as it's still snowing like crazy up there.
snow conditions
Red Planet from Charles Palmer
https://vimeo.com/64017106
snow report
Lots going on, the high winds, lots of snow and rising temps have caused dodgy conditions in the north and a heliski guide got avalanched. He's fine though but needed to be unburied and checked over in hospital so sounds like it was still quite serious. The same slide also caused the road nearby to be closed for much of yesterday before it was cleared.

Down here we've had some unexpected snow which left a foot on the nearby ski area so we went up and spent the evening skiing wet fresh snow. Much jumping off cornices and trying to stay ahead of the tiny snowboarder zerg army. Still snowing balls when we left so will be going again tomorrow evening. Spring has had an amazing spluttering start, most ski areas close next week which is mad as they've all got full cover. Still, its skins out for the long evenings. Very Happy
snow conditions
meh, Nice. If I could stretch to an easy jet flight out I'd be tempted! How easy is it to get around with buses & public transport ?
ski holidays
AndAnotherThing.., depends on what you want to do. I'd not really suggest anyone comes out on a lift served skiing holiday as most places are tiny (although it would make an epic road trip to visit a whole bunch of them). If you're into touring then you definitely need a car to access most stuff (which is part of the reason I have a big truck), although there is some awesome terrain a short skin off the top lift at the ski area near Akureyri. If you want to come over and visit Iceland and do some skiing as an added bonus then getting around is super easy. Also I'm skiing most weekends somewhere and can always fit one more if any snowHeads are over and want someone to ski with.

National public transport is pretty good but it's woeful for anything like local connections, you're basically stuck with taxis.

Lots of bus routes:
http://www.sterna.is/en/schedules
http://www.re.is/IcelandOnYourOwn

Also internal flights (tiny airports with 'exciting' approaches):
http://www.airiceland.is/

You can also hop over to Greenland from Reykjavik.
snow report
Nice TR & photos.
Great part of the world.
In 2005 cycle toured in Iceland - even in mid summer it was windy!
ski holidays

Oh yeah and the lift queues at this time of year are horrendous. Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
meh, Cheers. Whats the resort like close to the airport - Bláfjöll ?

A friend was trying to talk me into a short break skiing and your post got me wondering. A little touring \ lift served skiing would be cool. Easyjet flight prices\times aren't encouraging though..
snow conditions
Bláfjöll is about 20km outside of Reykjavik, it depends on which airport you mean. Bláfjöll is definitely closest to the international airport though. Was just there today and took some photo and video. Am away skiing in the North this weekend but will stick some footage up on Monday. The picture above is from there and there is some earlier in this thread.

It's coming into peak tourist season hence flights being expensive.
latest report
Just summited Kaldbakur (1173m), it's a nice mellow skin and ski from sea level. Avi danger is through the roof here, with two slides on steeper slopes on Kaldbakur itself and a super impressive string of full face slides on the SW aspects we could see elsewhere. Hence skiing the mellowest thing we could find. A huge section of slope next to the ski area has gone as well and it's supposed to similar all through the region. Scary, scary!

Pics when I get back.
snow report
meh, Stay safe. snowHead
snow conditions
Yup will do, we were super careful with our route selection but the scale and range of aspects affected is very unusual for Iceland.
snow conditions
meh, any feedback on the heli operation(s) there please? have yuo skied with them at all? please PM me if easier. I have heliskied Canada (x4 weeks approx) and NZ (x1) and am interested in trying it for next season. Thanks!

PS was in Hokkaido mid Feb this week but think you were there before (remembers TR from you or videa (or both)
snow conditions

A pic from the weekend taken by my ski buddy.
snow report
chrisJersey, I've not skied with them but Artic Heliskiing have a good rep and very often fly film crews about:

http://www.arcticheliskiing.com/en

I was in Japan in mid-Feb as well. Very Happy

Their FB page is good for lots of pictures of what it's like.
http://www.facebook.com/ArcticHeliSkiing

Including this one of Julia Mancuso:
snow conditions
meh, many thanks. They were the ones we have been in touch with. Will report back if we proceed.
snow report
April keeps delivering, another foot of fresh on the local mountain, blue skies and its all waiting to be obliviated this evening.
ski holidays
That went south fast, wind came up, blew away all the new snow and the clouds came in. Still got some good white out skiing in. Sad
ski holidays
The unseasonal weather cycle continues. I woke up this morning to find it snowing heavily in downtown Reykjavik by the time my girlfriend and I were ready a few cm had fallen. We had to unbury the car and the trip to work on non-studded AT tyres was good fun on empty roads, terrifying in traffic as almost everyone is back on their summer stuff.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy