Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snowboarding Jackets

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi folks,

Doing a season in Morzine this winter and buying some kit from the tail end of last season's stock (heavily discounted).

Jackets for snowboarding - I have tried on loooooooads and can't find one that fits. I have big shoulders and a small waist, so I I either have to go for tight under the arms and a snow skirt that fits, or the right size for shoulders but having to put a couple of stone on for the snow skirt to actual do its job. Are snowboarding jackets with snow skirts essential? I am a mountaineer and had planned all along to just be in merino wool, with a primaloft insulated rab jacket and then a hard wearing 4 season goretex outer shell, with a microfleece for more warmth if needed. The goretex I am looking at doesn't have a snow skirt, but I reckon that as I am doing a season, on the really miserable days where a fall in the powder gets snow up into my jacket and leaves me cold and wet, I'll just go down. Also, merino and primaloft are all designed for warmth when wet and have done me well in <-10 degrees for hours, so I am hoping this 'system' will work. Will it, or am I being naive and setting myself up for a cold, wet time?

Thanks,

kanda
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You'll probably be ok, just check to see if your jacket and layers ride up your back when you're bending/stretching as you would be on a board to do up bindings, parking your back bottom in the snow etc.

IMV, a powder skirt is a useful, but an ill fitting jacket is just going to annoy you constantly, and detract from your riding...
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
kanda wrote:
on the really miserable days where a fall in the powder gets snow up into my jacket

Well, if having a really miserable day in deep powder, you're probably doing something wrong snowHead

I've generally found that wearing some sensible base layers (eg. not cotton or any other plant-derived fibre for that matter) and keeping active will go a very long way towards preventing you getting cold and miserable. Synthetic base layers and fleecy mids won't hold moisture, so they'll dry quick. I wear salopettes when the weather is suitably wet or chilly and they'll work nicely if your jacket isn't literally packed with snow.

It also seems to be the case that snowskirts work best if your jacket and trews are made by the same folk; worth bearing in mind.

Snow skirts implies snowsport-specific jackets which implies a bit of a markup over normal gear. You'll be fine without, and might save a few pennies, too.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
kanda, your mountaineering kit should be fine, I've moved from wearing a full on skiing jacket (combined goretex / primaloft) to wearing my patagonia ascensionist with layers underneath - breathes much better and while its not waterproof it keeps out most of the wet stuff, and I bring a proshell just in case it does get too wet.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

on the really miserable days where a fall in the powder gets snow up into my jacket and leaves me cold and wet, I'll just go down.

Are you trying to say that you'll go down on some best days of the season? Smile There is a difference between mountaineering and snowboarding, as with the former it's not assumed that you will be spending any significant time on your backside. Some snowboard jackets can be zipped to your pants so this might be a solution for you. Or pants with bibs.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

I am a mountaineer and had planned all along to just be in merino wool, with a primaloft insulated rab jacket and then a hard wearing 4 season goretex outer shell, with a microfleece for more warmth if needed.

Absolutely fine (though personally I often get too hot with more than a tshirt and shell, unless it's below -10), many people use similar stuff as adding a ski/snowboard tag seems to add £100 for the same spec compared to climbing kit. A snowskirt can be nice if you expect to fall a lot, definitely not essential though.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy