Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best Resort in Europe?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
A few of my friends from college and I are trying to plan a trip to Europe to ski. We are looking for a resort was extensive terrain that can keep us occupied for 5 to 7 days of ski. We also want to have access to good nightlife. Snow conditions are important as always, our trip will likely occur a week or two before Christmas.

Any input of where the best resort would be would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

loveskiing
USA
www.enjoy-skiing.com
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
One caveat: the snow might not be so good that early in the season that you could enjoy all the terrain that even a large ski resort could offer. Having said that, I would say that Val d'Isere would satisfy your requirements. It's high and reasonably snowsure (especially with the glacier skiing at the linked resort of Tignes). Busy nightlife which will give the opportunity to meet lots of Brits (and maybe even one or two French). It has a large ski domain, with a wide range of skiing from gentle pistes to steep off-piste. If you're there during 10-12 December you might also see the Men's World Cup Downhill which takes place that weekend.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If you fancy splashing some cash, and want somewhere with a bit more alpine charm, then Zermatt is worth a look. Fur coats, a good area, and some truly excellent mountain restaurants. Be prepared to shell out though, it's not cheap.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
loveskiing,

Depends how you plan to do it. If you are coming via th UK you can take advantage of some of our early season deals. If you are flying straight into the European airport like Zurcih or Geneva then distance somewhat dictates where to go.

Generally, if you are flying into Geneva then the widely regarded top resorts - bragging rights in the US - might be Val D Isere, Verbier and Zermatt, and of course, Chamonix. You might want to add Val Thoren in the 3V as well. All should have high mountain sking for that time of the year.

Zurich would point to St Anton in Austria and Engelberg in Switzerland

Turin means Cervinia in Italy

All of the places I have mentioned should have early season - for Europe, skiing and the the best -lowest, prices.

If you are coming direct then these may be the cheapest flights. Others worth mentioning are Lyon For LDA or ADH. Airports are important because Euro car-hire is nothing likeas cheap as the US...
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rob@rar.org.uk, Zermatt is not cheap, but it doesn't have to be expensive. Lift passes are not cheap by European standards, but are a bargain compared to somewhere like Vail. I'm going in early December and there's plenty of 3* hotels apparently offering rooms at £35 pppn (either singles or two sharing). With Ryanair offering flights for 1p each way (£25 return including taxes) from Stanstead to Milan Bergamo (3 hours away) it needn't be that expensive.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The snow in Chamonix has been absolutely appalling early in the season for the last couple of years running, so I wouldn't recommend it that early on in the season.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ischgl usually opens at the end of November and with up to 200km of piste and a reputation for nightlife it should fit your requirements. You could always trip round to St Anton and other nearby resorts if you do get bored.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
kamikaze,

What route are you taking to get there in 3 hrs?

Kramer,

Maybe the Grand Montet, depends what the snow was like nearer the day. I've been in and around the valley pre-Xmas and I would do some research closer to the time. But the poster hasn't really given us much to go on, reagrds getting there, so any advice is very general,
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
loveskiing,
To be honest at this time of the year the pattern of snowfall is somewhat erratic, I would book a flight and find out where has the best snow closer to the time.
Zurich can get you to some excellent resorts such as St Anton, Davos Flims all of which may suit you. Others have suggested resorts cloe to Geneva, Innsbruck is another good airport if you can fly direct. You will find no difficuly finding places to stay.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
BEST RESORT IN EUROPE ? - depends on who you ask Little Angel
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
JT, If you got to multimap.com and select European driving directs from Bergamo Italy, to Visp Switzerland (Zermatt isn't recognised, presumably because it doens't have any road links!). It reckons it's 150 miles (of which 130 miles is motorway on the E64/E62) and estimates 3hrs 37mins. I seem to recall on my last trip we got caught in Milan rush hour on the way there (took
5 hours), but it was under 3 on the way back.
By the time you've faffed around with the getting the train from Tasch, you possibly need to add another 20 mins. So - not the easiest of transfers, but with 1p flights and a top class resort, you have to make a few sacrifices. And 3-3.5 hours isn't that bad.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Best Resort in Europe.............Zermatt. Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
MUSKY wrote:
<b>Best Resort in Europe</b>.............Zermatt. Very Happy

Fantastic! booked to Cervinia on 12 Dec, Zermatt 14 Jan Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
loveskiing, based on the resorts I've been to (in Europe and the US), the ones I think you'd enjoy the most would be:
Chamonix
Val Thorens (or others in that region)
Wengen
St Anton

The B list would be:
Saalbach
Val d'Isere
Bad Gastein
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Loveskiing

We are doing a special FIRST ON THE SLOPES deal in La Clusaz at the time you are looking, 300pp. We are only 1hr from Geneva, and the town has got good nigtlife. And with over 220km of slopes especially when teamed up with the nearby resort of Le Grand Bornand you won't be bored. We had good snow before Christmas last year and no one around! It's got a good french feel and is somewhere different from the same old Chamonix, Morzine and Tignes! The lift passes, restaurants and bars are also cheaper than in the bigger resorts.I
f you are interested take a look at www.gravite.co.uk or contact us direct through the forum.

Hope this helps! Little Angel
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy