Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anyone who can’t ski “very” fast may want to stay in France ;-)

Poster: A snowHead
They say a picture speaks a thousand words so.......

(you need to imagine these chasing you down a ski slope)

More details here

Shocked

OK I know its typical newspaper hyping but hey, what would the world be without that.

Anyway, the gist of it is that they have found the remains of a wolf in our local forest (apparently it died 4 years ago), so the papers round here are trying to say the wolf has return to the area – 150 years after it was wiped out.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Wayne, As a matter of interest, what is the reaction of the majority of the population to the news that wolves "may" have returned to your area? Personally I'd be delighted -wolves tend to avoid humans and I think the "Big Bad Wolf" has has bad PR!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Alastair Pink
I would imagine that some of em will want the "honor" of shooting one.
I thing the equivalent of the RSPCA in Italy has a hard time of it wink .

I wasn’t really looking for that story; it just caught my attention.
Was more interested in this (am sure you can google translate it, if interested).
LOTS of “stuff” going on in the Dolomites with foreign (unqualified and/or unregistered) instructors
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hmm Wolves in the Dolomite's, not sure about those but I know locally to Wengen a European Lynx has been seen by a number of people, though not apparently by any skiers, apparently it ignores the ski areas but has been seen in the wooded areas on the lower slopes by walkers, no recorded attacks on either people or sheep so I assume it lives on Marmottes and similar creatures
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
There are apparently plenty of wolves in France - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-14637701

If they're there in Italy, it probably won't take long for them to find evidence other than remains.

My Italian-based grandson is called Lupo (irrelevant fact wink )
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Would have thought the wolf would be running from the humans rather than the other way round.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Wayne, Hmm ... unregistered Polish ski school operating in Italian ski resort and not paying any tax, that's a bit naughty. It'll be interesting to see whether the Italian authorities get back the tax due or whether the company will just go bust. In that event can the polish operators be jailed? (if they haven't already fled back to Poland). Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
There has been a recent Bear reintroduction in the Pyrenees and I'm pretty sure there are a few Wolves around too on the Spanish side.

Apparently part of a wider strategy to keep foreign instructors out wink
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The locals in St Anton talk about a bear doing a walk through town late one night. Apparently on its way from Italy to Germany, traced by killed livestock along the way. Don't know if it is, or coud be, true but a good story nonetheless.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
AndAnotherThing.. wrote:
There has been a recent Bear reintroduction in the Pyrenees

French Pyrenees, bears hadn't died out but were down to single figure numbers. There are 500-600 on the Spanish side.

The French wolves come from Italy; they have migrated as far west as the Massif Central, maybe as far as the vast forests towards Poitiers. There are bears and wolves in Italy and Swizterland as there are further east in Europe.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
davidof, The scheme I'm aware of was on the Spanish side, but then it's pretty close to the boarder. I couple of the Bears didn't take life in the wild and had a home made for them in one of the villages.

Nice to hear that Wolves are alive and well in the French forests, although maybe the locals might think otherwise. Are they protected ?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Even I could could out ski a wolf that's been dead for 4 years!

Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
About 10 years ago when I was in Banff one poor woman cross country skier couldn't out ski a cougar.

http://cougarinfo.org/attacks3.htm
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Interesting title to thread, but in fact was reliably informed last year that wolves were spotted in Tignes les Brevieres, the locals blame Italy (for letting them escape into France). All sightings hushed up, but wolves clearly in France too
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
davidof wrote:
AndAnotherThing.. wrote:
There has been a recent Bear reintroduction in the Pyrenees

French Pyrenees, bears hadn't died out but were down to single figure numbers. There are 500-600 on the Spanish side.

The French wolves come from Italy; they have migrated as far west as the Massif Central, maybe as far as the vast forests towards Poitiers. There are bears and wolves in Italy and Swizterland as there are further east in Europe.

I never knew that animals were so respectful of international borders? Do you think they need passports or do they fall under the Schegen Agreement?
latest report
Can bears run fast? This is at the centre of Valfrejus:

http://skiunion.mpora.com/news/skiing-bears.html
ski holidays
airbornebadger wrote:

I never knew that animals were so respectful of international borders? Do you think they need passports or do they fall under the Schegen Agreement?

Both Bears and Wolves fall under the Schegen Agreement. They need a passport to visit the UK, hence no Bears or Wolves here.

wink Laughing
snow report
altis, The snow cover is looking a little bear. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Chris Wood741,

http://ukwct.org.uk/

I used to walk my dogs past them most days.
ski holidays
Wayne, there have been wolves spotted close to my apartment in France,mainly towards the end of the winter and early spring. One roaming around a garden on the edge of the village, on the Col du Lauteret, and up in the village of Le Casset. These were all alive not dead.
latest report
musher wrote:
Chris Wood741,

http://ukwct.org.uk/

I used to walk my dogs past them most days.

Obviously these Wolves have Passports.

Laughing
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
There are apparently plenty of wolves in France - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-14637701

If they're there in Italy, it probably won't take long for them to find evidence other than remains.

My Italian-based grandson is called Lupo (irrelevant fact wink )

From that very same article "The recolonising wolves are are believed to have crossed into France from Italy in the 1990s" - so, one would assume they are likely in Italy already.
ski holidays
Loads of wolves round here, though they have so far refrained from eating skiers.
snow report
Quote:

The locals in St Anton talk about a bear doing a walk through town late one night. Apparently on its way from Italy to Germany, traced by killed livestock along the way. Don't know if it is, or coud be, true but a good story nonetheless.

On the story I heard it was riding a unicycle.
ski holidays
airbornebadger wrote:

why do you think there were very few on the French side of the border?
snow conditions
Chris Wood741,

I think they were Polish Smile
snow conditions
johnE wrote:
Quote:

On the story I heard it was riding a unicycle.

I heard it was juggling, and playing the flute, followed by a plethora of rats!
snow report
altis wrote:
Can bears run fast? This is at the centre of Valfrejus:

http://skiunion.mpora.com/news/skiing-bears.html

Nice pic, yes they can run very fast. But the idea isn't to run faster than the bear, just faster than the slowest member of the group Wink

Met plenty of bears in Whistler while living there a decade back, they never bothered us skiers, there was a rumour around they liked to eat snowboarders, something to do with being easy prey Wink
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
davidof wrote:
airbornebadger wrote:

why do you think there were very few on the French side of the border?

Don't know, ask me one on Guinea-fowl.
latest report
Wayne wrote:
They say a picture speaks a thousand words so.......

(you need to imagine these chasing you down a ski slope)

More details here

Shocked

OK I know its typical newspaper hyping but hey, what would the world be without that.

Anyway, the gist of it is that they have found the remains of a wolf in our local forest (apparently it died 4 years ago), so the papers round here are trying to say the wolf has return to the area – 150 years after it was wiped out.

We were in Utah last year and one night bivvied overnight in the back country and first thing in the morning you could hear the wolves. So Im surprised that reports of sightings arent as well as their audible give aways!
ski holidays
Quote:

Actually the bears on the Spanish side number only about 150, which is still a lot better than 10/15 years ago. Even so this is still not a great number from a gene pool perspective. They are also split into two different areas about 30 miles apart, and efforts are being made to create a corridor between the two populations. Ironically this is in jeopardy due to a local council wanting to build a ski resort in the San Glorio Pass - luckily this has so far been stopped.

The bears introduced into the Pyrenees were from Slovenia (could have been Slovakia), and this was done after a boar hunter shot the last breeding female, apparently in self defence. It's worth noting that there is no evidence of these bears (French or Spanish) attacking humans, even those humans wandering around trying to shoot them. Killing a bear I think currently carries a €400,000 fine.

For me the Pyrenees were made to have bears in them, and efforts need to be made to educate people and teach them how to exist with these animals which were there long before they.

The French Wolves (Eurasian Wolf) did come from Italy, from the Apennine mountains which was the last stronghold for them after being persecuted to near extinction (in Europe). However a small population of Iberian wolves clung on in Northern Spain and Northern Portugal, and numbers in Spain/Portugal could now be as high as 2,000 - this hasn't caused as much of a problem as it appears to have in France. If it hasn't happened already, then it can't be long before these two populations meet. If you haven't already seen a photo of an Iberian Wolf the look them up, they are beautiful looking animals.

I've seen neither bears nor wolves in the wild, but would really love to do so. I can understand peoples fear of them, and the problems they can cause with farmers who have for years not had to worry about these animals. But I hope that in time people will be able to see the benefit of once more having these beautiful animals around.
snow report
If you go to Finland or Estonia, possibly other countries in that neck of the woods, you can eat a bear. It's quite expensive though.

Mmmm. Bear.
snow report
geepee, Laughing Laughing
latest report
davejsy,

I've seen both wolves and bears in Canada. The bears were the little cute looking ones (black bears?). The coach driver from Banff to Sunshine actually stopped the coach and pointed out the wolves. Apparently it was unusual to see them.
snow report
ulmerhutte wrote:

Certainly could be true, there've been reports of bears stealing honey in Pfunds just this year:

http://www.austriantimes.at/news/General_News/2012-04-24/41173/Bear_faced_robbery_underway_in_Austria
snow report
musher, must have been great to get to see both. The European bears are brown bears, but don't seem to have the same attitude as the grizzly's in the US!
ski holidays
Mr Piehole, Mmmm ... eaten bear, and wild boar.

musher, go to Kicking Horse and you can see a real bear- Boo - not a cute little black one, proper Grizzly Toofy Grin
snow conditions
For anyone who believes that wolves have a right to walk these lands. . . .

http://www.change.org/petitions/protesta-contra-las-batidas-de-lobos-en-asturias-se-requiere-un-censo-poblacional-ya

Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy