Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austrian Ski Landeslehrer

Poster: A snowHead
Hey! Just a quick question! Have followed snowheads for a while and I find there is little on here about Brits taking Austrian exams apart from Anwaerter. Is there anyone out there who has gone further in the Austrian system and what they think about it? I myself am most of the way through Landes with only LS2 left to take.

Cheers
Skilehrer89
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've considered it, but given the amount of teaching I do these days/plan to do in the future, I'm not convinced it's worthwhile (for me) to do. Like the idea of the alpine course though.

I do have a Welsh mate (works in Saalbach) who did it, can't think of any other Brits off the top of my head though.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
clarky999 wrote:
I've considered it, but given the amount of teaching I do these days/plan to do in the future, I'm not convinced it's worthwhile (for me) to do. Like the idea of the alpine course though.

I do have a Welsh mate (works in Saalbach) who did it, can't think of any other Brits off the top of my head though.

Pleased to hear you don't consider the Welsh part of Britain, how about the Scots? Only joking!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Um, it doesn't say that?

Quote:

any OTHER Brits

(new caps)
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
clarky999, Indeed. Can't see anything wrong with the way you wrote it? Puzzled
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
A big blocker for most is the language...
You must have pretty efficient German to consider taking the course, rather than just the basic basics.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
My son did his Landes last season, and I think having the various parts in different resorts gave him a good breadth of knowledge of other areas. There is a strong encouragement in our ski school to progress and of course the money is better than his poor old Anwarter Mum gets! The theory did need adequate German, but not really any more than we were expected to have on the Anwarter - which was all in German, and rightly so. Best of luck with the rest of your Landes.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
http://austriantimes.at/news/Panorama/2012-06-26/42572/Ski_teacher_qualifications_are_now_offered_in_Autumn
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I know a few people that have been through the Austrian system and at least one that have achieved the Staatlich. Not sure whether the others bothered going that far or just converted to BASI to finish their qualifications.
Everyone I know really rates the Austrian Instructing and Coaching system. Also the French offer a direct equivellance with the Austrian qualification so there shouldn't be any problem obtaining a carte pro if you want to work in France once you have your Staatlich.

Hope this helps
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Have to say I do rate the Austrian system very highly, the training for LS2 was simply superb, the standards very high indeed. I’ll make myself very popular and say BASI? Pah! Austrian all the way!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Considered doing my Landes but decided against it. The schools near me were not offering much more per month if I got it, (worked out at like 50 months work to pay it off) so from a financial point it certainly wasn't worth it, which is important if it is going to be your actual job, I know lots of people who have invested 25k and more into qualifications etc. will argue this point but it's a business decision pure and simple.

Also, the relaxed nature in most Ösi resorts meant i was earning more every season and teaching advanced lessons most weeks despite only doing the Anwärter. Most were happy to ski with me and watch me teach to decide my standard instead of looking at the paper I held.

If the question is how does it compare to other level 2 stuff, it's excellent, the standard especially in Tirol is top knotch I understand why people often don't like it, generally i've found it very rigid and exact, often a little closed minded and out-dated but that doesn't disuade from the simple fact that it works very very well, plain and simple. That said I'm still dubious about the relevance of having to do a snowboard Anwärter with it (i know some places like Salzburg don't make you do this but the old school instructors will just treat you like a newby if you get it there)

2 pence thrown in
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Im a Landeslehrer, cost me about 4k from nothing to full. And i earnt it back in my first season anyway. Its only worth doing if your going to act mature, train hard and not give in on the racing because otherwise you fail, simples. Good Luck with what ever you choose Smile

Ps. I hear in Switzland with Landeslehrer you can earn a big amount of dosh.
Its all about building a good CV Smile

Just a big of info Smile
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I kind of did it the other way around. Started in Austria with the Anwarter in the 90s, switched to BASI and finished the ISTD. Recently registered back in Austria ( Using my ISTD) as a Staatlicher Diplom schilehrer ( in Tirol). I do speak german quite welll ( Family Austrian).

You can also look to get your level 3 ISIA BASI converted ( they will charge you just over €200 to look at your qualifications ).

I also joined Swiss Snowsports as an experiment but they can yet decide where I am in their system. Still waiting,

PSG
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've worked with quite a few Austrian/Austrian qualified instructors from Anwarters up to Staatlich examiners. Seems to be a really solid system and well respected, the Landes instructors often get paid equivalent to level 3s from other systems. I don't think the pay in Austria is all that great though.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
jimmer, the full Landeslehrer (you get Landes 1 and Landes 2) is the same as level 3 in other systems as far as I'm aware. Pay... I don't know about full Landes, but in some places (St Anton, at least) as an Anwaerter you get €1300 a month, IF you get a full months work. Other places considerably less, I think in Saalbach it was €800-900, but I never actually worked a full month there.

gilleski, any plans to do the Skifuehrer course? Would be interested to hear exactly what it entails if so...
ski holidays
That doesn't sound too great, how many hours are in a 'full month'?
snow conditions
jimmer, 4 hours a day 6 days a week (5 hours if with kids as lunch definitely still counts as work then!). So 100ish? I *think* (it's been awhile) you're supposed to get around €10 an hour. Minus 2/3 euros a night for accomm.

FWIW you get around €1200-1300 working 38.5 hours a week in a (normal) shop here (though you do then get 14 months salary a year). In practise I'm better off (and get more real ski time) working 20-25 hours a week in H&M than when I was ski instructing - especially when you factor in 5 weeks holiday (plus state holidays) to take as/when you choose... Still not really sustainable long-term though.
snow conditions
clarky999, so it seems like the thing to do would be to get the Landes, then go work somewhere else!
snow report
In St Anton as a Anwarter you dont earn a huge amount, but as a full landes your pay is alot more, maybe 2000 a month. As someone already said though its also about how much work you can get :/
snow conditions
clarky999, seriously you earn the equivalent of over a grand a week working in a shop? Surely that's management? In the UK a retail worker would earn about £300 per week before tax. I guess the shops there must be bloody expensive to make any profit if they are paying the staff that much...
latest report
queen bodecia, The way I read it, that's the monthly wage for that amount of hours per week.
snow report
jimmer, that makes far more sense.

In fairness I have idly looked online for jobs in europe in my line of work and the salaries are generally rubbish, but maybe the cost of living is not as high as in the UK.
snow report
Well, this is discussing my line of work, and wages seem to be way lower in Austria than where I work in Japan and Chile, but I figure Switzerland must pay better, and also France/Italy if you can get in.
ski holidays
queen bodecia, jimmer, yeah that's per month (if only[!], though in the winter I only work part time anyway) Laughing

jimmer, how much do you earn in those places (as base qually/level 3/etc)?
snow conditions
clarky999, I won't say exactly, as it's very easy to see exactly which schools I work for on my blog, and it's kind of complicated by request rates and accommodation/food deals as well, but generally at least double the numbers you and other quoted for Austria. That's with my qual (NZ3) which is roughly equivalent to Landes, for lower quals in Japan level 1s get much less, but could probably still earn 1500 euros a month, in Chile, almost everyone is Level 3, so not really applicable.
ski holidays
jimmer, sounds like you've got it good then!
snow report
clarky999, yeah pretty much! Anyone with a L3 can walk into a job for that rate in Japan though, my ski school has expanded from 20 when I started 5 years ago to around 80 this coming season and there is a lot of turnover due to visas. Chile is tougher as you need Spanish, and the ski school only hires a few new instructors a year, I feel very lucky to have got a job here.
snow report
Was wondering, a landes 1 is entitled to teach offpiste and freestyle stuff? Or is the same as in B.a.s.i., you get lv2 qualifocation and THEN you must attend mountan safety course and coaching course in order to do that.thanks!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
maddrifter, No.
Landes 1 is the first part of being a full Landesleher.

To be a full Landesleher you need L1 and L2 and then take the Alpin course.
The Alpin course is an off piste course. Not too hard and mainly about conditions and safety. (I haven't done it though - but plenty of friends have!)

Once you have the Alpin (even with only Landes 1) you can teach off-piste

I know this is an old thread but...
Quote:

That said I'm still dubious about the relevance of having to do a snowboard Anwärter with it (i know some places like Salzburg don't make you do this but the old school instructors will just treat you like a newby if you get it there)

In Land Salzburg you do a snowboard Anwaerter (but with Ski Landes 1 students) before progressing on the L1 course.
But this is not an Anwaerter course in its own right but one for the L1 students.
The snowboard 'anwaerter' achieved isn't really a separate anwaerter but part of your L1.
snow conditions
Thanks,
So there is not such a thing as landes1 for snowboard only?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy