Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Entry to the US

Poster: A snowHead
I was watching Departure Lounge on BBC1 last Friday and heard the news that from the 4th October onwards, you are required to know the exact address ( right down to the Zip code ) of where you will be staying on your first night. This news is published on their website. However, I emailed the foreign office to ask for confirmation and they replied that there is no mention of this change in their current advice.

Anybody else hear this news, as it will affect large numbers of skiers heading to the US this season ?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Timberwolf, yup, they announced it a couple of months ago. Best idea - write the address on your luggage labels before leaving home, then just read them out when you are checking in. Make sure you put the address on your carry on bags as well, just in case they ask you at immigration as well (i.e. before you pick up your bags)
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for the prompt response Wear The Fox Hat, I assume that Tour Ops who feature the US will be getting plenty of calls asking for address details for accommodation. I think I'll reply to the Foreign suggesting they change their advice ( and tell them to check their facts with snowHead 's ) Laughing
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I really like that programme Departure Lounge, must be one of the best holiday progs around. I also used to like the one where viewers suggested the best places to visit in a particular city and the presenters went and visited them. Good idea.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Also be prepeared to be abused, locked up and of course, hear the sound of the marigold being snapped around the wrist.
TIP: Avoid Miami airport
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Timberwolf, I got sent info on APIS through work, I think, but here's the details...
APIS information
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
And what happens if you don't know 'cos your going to arrange your accomodation on an ad hoc basis? Or your using the tent that is with your luggage? One more reason not to go to the USA.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Blimey WTFH, that sure looks like a Government document if ever I saw one !!
According to the US customs website they're now saying that Hotel name and city is will be acceptable ??? which is pretty much what you have to provide now isn't it??
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Timberwolf, the difference is that in the past, you only needed to give that information on the visa paperwork that you handed over at immigration in the US.
From next month, you have to give that information at check-in.
The airline then transmits it to US CBP before you get ther.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I flown to the US countless times. I've never had a reservation as like so many people I like to go with the flow & book in somewhere on route on the first night.

My get around for the paperwork.

I allways know what Airport im going to be arriving at in the US ie; Denver, LA, New York etc.

Before I depart I look-up & make a note of the Name & address , phone number of a Major Hotel Chain in town ie Hilton,Marriott. I use this address on the forms.

If theres any questions & I have never had any in over 100 trips.

If they ask if the address is correct where you will be staying

DONT say you HAVE a reservation unless they specifically say RESERVATION, Say you INTEND to stay there.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Also be prepeared to be abused, locked up and of course, hear the sound of the marigold being snapped around the wrist.
TIP: Avoid Miami airport

Another tip: Avoid Boston and Washington Dulles - they are both dreadfull to get through. I Travelled to Virginia a couple of weeks ago and connected through Charlotte North Carolina, it was a doddle - 45 minutes from landing to clearing immigration and Customs with checked baggage ( still missed our connection but that's another story ). I have taken nearly 2 hours recently to get from the aircraft through Boston immigration and Customs.

CP
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Iagree entirely with Stanton,once you know the rules and how to get around them, it should be no problem. As said everyone has,for as long as I can remember, had to fill in the first nights stay details on the Visa Waiver form, all that is happening now is that they are accelerating the time that you have to give that information. My recent journeys have been through Los Angeles, San Francisco and Orlando. No real problem. I have waited longer at Heathrow to clear Immigration and even Edinburgh (where it used to be a walk through) was getting to American style times last time I came back.........look at the positives at least your luggage (assuming the airline have not lost it) is waiting for you when you get there (unless it is Edinburgh when you wait for that as well)
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Colin, Have to agree about the return to the UK. Couple of weeks ago came back through Gatwick and the queue to get through UK/EU passport control was dreadful. Looked like the non EU/UK folks were getting processed quicker than us.

CP
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
CP, Go through Bournemouth International, no queues, no immigration and not even the customs man had turned up!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
boredsurfin, Good plan, how are the direct flights to Roanoke Virginia Madeye-Smiley Joking aside I extended my trip and flew down to Sarasota in Florida for the weeknd to stay with friends. The check in etc on the way back was a piece of cake compared to the Boston, Washington and/or JFK experiences I have had.

CP

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Thu 29-09-05 8:58; edited 1 time in total
snow report
I find Cinncinnati ok as a gateway, no problems at all I've heard to to avoid Houston tho', Golf buddies had a nighmare there..!!
latest report
CP, Seriously keep an eye on B'mths development. I'am told it is the longest runway in the South after BDN, LHR, and LGW ).
Bristol is already doing Trans-atlantic flights.
snow report
Bournemouth is an emergency runway for the London airports, it's runway is long enough for a fully loaded 747 to take off and land, it's actually used as a maintenance site by a number of airlines as there's no one living close enough to be worried when jet engines are run up to full power when being tested
latest report
boredsurfin, It would be very handy for us, a lot easier than the slog up to Thiefrow or Gatwick.
snow report
CP, Even easier if Boscombe Down goes commercial Very Happy
snow conditions
Best way to avoid the problems of flying into the USA is to avoid flying into the USA. Apparently Canada has good snow too Toofy Grin
snow report
D G Orf, Flew into Bournemouth only last week, and did happen to comment on the very long runway wink
Facilities are still a little basic in the Terminal though Shocked
snow report
snowbunny, Ever been to Newquay Airport? One could say that the facilities are a little terminal, in more ways than one.
snow conditions
Manda wrote:
Best way to avoid the problems of flying into the USA is to avoid flying into the USA. Apparently Canada has good snow too Toofy Grin

Yup. Canada is far better.
snow report
JT wrote:
I find Cinncinnati ok as a gateway, no problems at all I've heard to to avoid Houston tho', Golf buddies had a nighmare there..!!

Agreed. A nice female baggage attendant helped carry my skis to the arrivals desk at Cincinnati the last time. Salt Lake City is quite friendly too. New York and San Francisco are not.
snow conditions
Well, to be fair my one and only experience with USA airports was LA back in 2000, i.e. *before* 11/9, but LAX was so stressful that it put me off ever transiting major USA hubs again (entering Heathrow was painless by comparison!). I now always travel to NZ in the other direction - Tokyo Narita airport last time was wonderful! Am looking forward to going through HK this year.... Twisted Evil
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman,
Quote:

snowbunny, Ever been to Newquay Airport?

There's an airport Shocked
Clearly I don't get out and about too often Laughing
snow report
CP,

Absolutely right about Washington Dulles - a 2 hour lineup at immigration last time I went through.

I've also noticed that on returning to the UK that Mrs A (Japanese national) clears Heathrow immigration faster than I do.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Manda, I went to LA with Air NZ in the summer and it was no trouble at all. I cleared immigration in around 15 minutes.
snow conditions
snowbunny, here is a picture of the main/only terminal at Newquay

ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman, I'll bet that they don't take your picture in that, like they do at Bournemouth check in Shocked
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy