Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sheffield Ski Village Fire - not good

Poster: A snowHead
Sheffield’s Ski Village building has been destroyed after fire broke out in the early hours of today. Firefighters were called to the centre just before 1am, and arrived to find the main wooden constructed building well alight.
... News is coming in of a fire destroying the main building at Sheffield Dry Slope Sad
See: http://postcodegazette.com/news/9001803640/sheffield's-ski-village-building-destroyed-by-fire-AT-sheffield-sheffield-ski-village/
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
For years there have been rumours that this would happen, with the owners collecting the insurance money and running. However the recent investment and expansion into kids activities appeared to have been positive steps. I do worry that this might be the end Sad
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Elizabeth B wrote:
For years there have been rumours that this would happen, with the owners collecting the insurance money and running. However the recent investment and expansion into kids activities appeared to have been positive steps. I do worry that this might be the end Sad

If there have been rumours to that effect as you say, then regardless of whether it was actually accidental or not I expect the insurance company will conduct a thorough investigation as to the cause before paying out any money. Toofy Grin
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Oh dear, spent many happy hours at Sheffield in the past. Is the Snow & Rock shop still there if so lots of losses for both the Village and S&R, presume all the villages kit has been lost in the fire.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
http://bcove.me/190gndki
Buildings gone, slope untouched?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
That's a shame. Hope it doesn't go the same way as the slope at Wycombe (which still hasn't re-opened after its main building was destroyed in a fire).
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
back to the portacabins
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hillingdon dry ski slope - closed after fire

Wycombe Summit - closed after fire

Sheffield ski village - closed after fire

I see a bit of a trend.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Spyderman wrote:

I see a bit of a trend.

So may the insurers. wink
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Alastair Pink wrote:
Spyderman wrote:

I see a bit of a trend.

I think the Yeovil slope got pretty hot also! More than once.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
gatecrasher wrote:
Alastair Pink wrote:
Spyderman wrote:

I see a bit of a trend.

I'd better leave the country! Sheffield is the only one I haven't frequented Embarassed
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
gatecrasher wrote:
Alastair Pink wrote:
Spyderman wrote:

I see a bit of a trend.

So may the insurers. ;-)

Telford and Ackers (Birmingham) have both had fires in the past too. Both reopened though.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
not been to sheffield ski village for a few years was it not making any money? all fires started for insurance claims get caught out one way or another
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Didn't Hemel get re-built after a fire?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
admin wrote:
Didn't Hemel get re-built after a fire?

Buncefield Oil terminal is open again. wink
latest report
admin, the more I think about it maybe we should make fire extinguishers a compulsory part of the kit, right up there with wrist guards & gloves!
snow report
stevew, yup, S&R were still there and went up with the rest of it Crying or Very sad

Very sad - every time I have been up there recently, mainly running the uni races, it's been really busy, lots of kids parties etc and they had a lot of other things like the bowling alley in the main building, they seemed to be doing really well. But certainly suspicious especially considering how long people have wanted to build houses on it.....
snow report
what surface is it there now? dendex or that other stuff?
snow conditions
Dendix on the main slope and snowflex/permasnow (one or the other!) on the fun park
ski holidays
plymouth's slope also fell victim to arson recently

http://www.thisisplymouth.co.uk/Mindless-arsonists-wreck-Plymouth-s-dry-ski-slope/story-15505564-detail/story.html
snow conditions
The catterick slope was also destroyed by fire. Hmmm thats rather a lot....
latest report
Often large wooden buildings, in remote locations with no lighting at night, and kids in the local area with nothing to do? Not a huge surprise we see a few cases of arson, but it seems there isn't a dry slope in the country that hasn't had a fire in recent years...
snow report
Interesting that the first public comment by the manager was:

[quote="BBC News"]
Vicky Lloyd, general manager at the Ski Village, said: "We are absolutely gutted. The business has been running very well
[quote]
snow conditions
Sounds like the fire had taken hold for quite a while before the fire brigade were called:
http://www.derbyshiretimes.co.uk/news/local/fire-wrecks-sheffield-ski-village-1-4499047

One eyewitness from the city centre said: “I saw an orange glow at around 10pm but I didn’t think anything of it. By 11pm the sky was all lit up and I thought there was an event taking place there. I didn’t think it was a fire because I couldn’t see any smoke.

“By midnight it was an inferno. I could see flames, they were pretty high but I didn’t ring the fire service because I thought someone else would have already done it.”

Station manager Stewart Nicholson, incident commander for South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service, said: “It was a very substantial fire and there is very little left. We attended at approximately 1am yesterday with four appliances and increased that to six, plus an aerial ladder and a high volume pump.
ski holidays
This is sad news but certainly a growing trend in size of Fires at the ski village over the last 18 months

Firstly it started with 2 fires on the slope. Then adventure mountain was burned down followed by the control box for the T Bar lift and now the main building is totally gutted.

A lot of innocent people are now out of a job.

The S & R shop is totally gone as well although normally at this time of year they only have limited sale stock. The stock can be easily placed written off but the Staff who worked there now have uncertain futures.

One report states that the fire started around 10pm. Normally the centre is still open at this time or just closing and with the report stating that the fire source seemed pretty central it may have been more to do with faulty equipment.
ski holidays
Real shame............ I hope the 3 main guys at Sheffield S&R (won't name them here but if you go regularly you'll know them) get looked after in the short term, and get placed in other stores and that S&R have the vision to open a new store in the near future closer to the M1 corridor - Leeds/ Sheffield and East Midlands should have a quality S&R quality store its a major opportunity even in these times and it would be supported.............its well overdue and I hope this gives S&R the push it maybe needs to get a quality unit in Leeds/ Wakefield/ Sheffield area. The Sheffield Ski Village store was never in a good place (LBPH it was in a real depressed area, hardy best sited for selling quality ski gear)........ come on S&R look at the opportunity and pump that insurance money back into the region, the till will ring, you've a great team there - now open that new store which is well overdue! wink
ski holidays
Quote:
Vicky Lloyd, general manager at the Ski Village, said: “We are absolutely gutted."

Ironic, so were the buildings.

It isn't good though. I agree it was a pain to get to; but before snowdomes it was easily the best place to play out at.
ski holidays
2nd fire last night

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-17905463
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Middlesbrough had one for a short time in the Eston Hills....... until....... it had a fire!!
ski holidays
rogersavery, not good at all, apparently they have now incinerated the lift control box Shocked
snow conditions

http://youtube.com/v/mogeEjQT-LQ
snow conditions
The plastic Slope industries favourite band is The Prodigy.
latest report
Another fire at Sheffield yesterday: http://www.sheffieldtelegraph.co.uk/news/local/smoke-seen-for-miles-in-another-sheffield-ski-village-blaze-1-4570451
snow report
Now on BBC too: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-18157677

An outdoor ski village in Sheffield has been damaged by a third fire in three weeks.

South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue was called to the Ski Village on Vale Road at about 19:50 BST on Monday.

The fire, which was on the small ski slope, is thought to have been started deliberately.

Insp Simon Leake of South Yorkshire Police said criminals felt it was "open season" to target the ski village.

"Since the main fire [three weeks ago] we have had a number of criminal offences at the Ski Village," Insp Leake said.

"This includes people trying to steal the matting and other fixtures within the site."
snow report
So where's the police? Or CCTV?
ski holidays
Any CCTV they did have was presumably in the main building, so would have been put out of action by the original fire.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy