Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Summer Insurance for Via Ferrata for family

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

Heading to Landry on camping & activity hols.

Would anyone care to recommend a good insurance that covers Via Ferrata / Canyoning / Parapenting / White Water Rafting for a family of 4 for single trip?

Cheers

Steve
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi Steve, you can get a similar type of insurance as the Carte neige in winter, but for the summer when in the French Alps. It covers all the activities you mentioned I think. It gives basic rescue and some medical costs and then you use your European health card. My friend just did that and was ok. That was all he needed. If you are coming to Bourg you can buy it at the Diot Insurance office in bourg I think. If you are doing organized activities then the company you use might have cover anyway.

If you fancy meeting up let me know and if I am around we can arrange something. Take a look at my Les Arcs Summer page if you want to see some of the stuff you can do in the area. Hope that helps.

Cheers Chirs

https://www.facebook.com/LesArcsSummer

(Thanks for the correction in the French Insurance spelling Mark)

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sun 11-08-13 12:45; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi Steve,

Just one thing to look at is if the insurance with Diot Insurance covers repatriation (to, I assume, the UK) in the event of a more serious accident. You can see their internet page and even buy online here http://www.assurance-multi-sports.com/ (You will see Diot at Bourg st Maurice mentioned at the bottom of the page).

Best wishes

Mark

PS I can also offer advice or my services on via ferrata as I regularly instruct professionally in the Tarentaise and elsewhere in Savoie / Haute Savoie.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
ringingmaster, have a look at Snowcard - they do a comprehensive range of sports cover, different levels depending on how hazardous. Their website is pretty clear.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for all the advice. Snowcard looks like they will fit what I am after. I am quite concerned about the repatriation thing.

snowcrazy, Would be great to meet up. Happy

marksavoie, One question: A couple of the local via ferrata have notes saying they are reserved for customers of local guides. (If my french is correct). We are experienced enough not to need a guide. Will we be allowed on?

http://www.laviaferrata.net/topo-via-ferrata-bellevil.html
http://www.laviaferrata.net/topo-via-ferrata-levassai.html
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
ringingmaster: Try essentialtravel.co.uk.

We have an annual travel insurance policy elsewhere, which covers skiing. However, it doesn't cover mountain biking so we top up with Essential Travel for Alps (etc) summer trips. This year was quite reasonable at £30 for 2 of us for 12 days cover.

Mountain biking is covered by Essential Travel's standard policy (as a Category 1 sport), though other sports may fall into Category 2 and above, which carry a supplementary payment.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ringingmaster, HI, I have seen those signs around and have done both the ones you mention and never had a problem. They are only a way of putting you off, not a law. The important bit is it says 'Gratuit'. Anyone can do all the Via Ferrata routes in this area. Some are very easy, others very difficult. If you and your kids are use to climbing they should have know problems. My friends kids are doing one with us this week. You do need the right via ferrata gear and it is easy to hire the gear from Intersport in Bourg if you do not have the special gear already.

Send me a PM here or over on my facebook page and we can arrange to meet up. See you soon.

Cheers Chris

https://www.facebook.com/LesArcsSummer
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ringingmaster, the two links mention that priority is given for clients of local guides and their clients but you are still absolutely OK to go on to them.

I can give a "thumbs up" for Snowcard Insurance.

Have a good time. Another kit hire place for via ferrata is Mottet Sports at Aigueblanche (between Albertville and Moutiers).

Mark
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ringingmaster, Sounds like an excellent holiday. There are a number of excellent ferrata within an hours drive of Landry. The one at Pralognan is a nice one to start with and of course the one at Les Bettieres is just a short drive up the valley but its lower sections can get very crowded.

I also use an annual snowcard insurance. They cover you for almost anything anywhere at not too an extortionate price. Since I have never made a claim I cannot comment on their quality of insurance, but what they offer appears very comprehensive.

And why not rent VTT for a day and explore the trails.

Have a great time
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
snowcrazy, marksavoie, Thanks for the info on the two Via Ferrata and hire gear.

snowcrazy, I have PM'd you with contact details.

johnE, We have done a lot of indoor climbing, but never done via ferrata. We saw it last year when we stayed @ the same campsite in Landry and made visits to Les Bettieres, but did not have the gear, and did not think about hiring it. So we are all set up with the extra gear. The weather is looking good, and 18 days to fill.

Can't wait.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Tue 13-08-13 13:47; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ringingmaster, I also rock climb (just got back from an amazing week in the Dolomites) and love ferrata. If you are moderately fit the Toviere in Val d'Isere is and excellent expedition as is the Grand Diedre in Crolle.

If you are into sport climbing there is an excellent little crag in Bourg on the road to the Cormet de Roseland. Stop in Bourg to buy a guide book in the bookshop on the main pedestrian street. A 50m rope would suffice and about a dozen quick draws plus the usual gear.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've claimed on snowcard (albeit many years ago) and can vouch for them as very good - fast payment, no quibbles, not too much paperwork. Was for a few £k for helicopter rescue etc. so non-trivial as well.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi

This will cover you.

Au Vieux Campeur, Carte Club, they also send you a reminder when your insurance is due to expire, covers just about everything and very reasonably priced.

http://www.auvieuxcampeur.fr/assurance
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
johnE, now out here, with enough kit for sports climbing. Getting a guide book this morning hopefully.

snowdave, GixerGirl, thanks for the info. Now got cover, and starting on the adventure.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy